Would anyone want to recreate World War 2 with me? As a documentary of sorts - Youtube/AAR format

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Achul

Sergeant
1 Badges
Jun 29, 2019
  • Darkest Hour
Good evening (or day!) everyone:

Ive always wanted to start a youtube channel and history and strategic gaming have always been a passion of mine. Hearts of Iron 1 was one of the first games I ever bought and I´ve been a fan ever since. So why not try starting here? Hopefully there are some other people who would love to do the same!

God, I have to admit Im a bit apprehensive of even making this thread since I know there are already talented creators out there that might simply take my idea and run.
But I hold out hope that by publishing it here I will both have some small degree of intellectual property protection while I would be delighted to work with talented creator(s) already established on a project like this as much as anyone else interested and able to contribute to the project.

dDOLi1667858303.png

The basic outline idea that I have of it would be a project where we play a continously modified game of Hearts of Iron IV and replicate the major battles with as much detail as the game allows us while generally projecting the general movement of the front from above.

We would zoom in when there is a big battle like that of Stalingrad or Midway, changing modifieras to induce the type of actions we want to the degree that we can or think is appropriate.
Where it may seem impossible we could add Picture in Picture views of the battle, animated or historical footage, what ever we can find, afford or have the energy to produce.

We can use commands and cheats to finish research at the times we want them done to signify say the Wunderwaffen projects, transfer provinces or spawn units where the in-game process is not enough.

As we would control the major powers in our faux multiplayer game and have military control over the minors it wouldn´t be difficult the engineer the types of situations we´d like to see.

We´d post updates here and add a bit of AAR content to the videos like a post or newsreel or something with a link to the next episode.

Id like to release an episode of this every month - representing perhaps a year of the war or so but preferably produce the whole thing over somewhat less time so that we also have time to market the episodes and produce additional content for the project like the aforementioned propagandaposters or do small edits here and there, maybe community events what ever.
This is all open to change of course.

We could form a GO-Fund me to source some income for extra materials/effects perhaps if necessary.

For the project team this is a rough idea of the team I have in mind:

I've got a BA in Informatics and additional MA courses in Human Computer Interaction, decent knowledge in editing (music, photo, audio) and basic knowledge in modding with some experience and studies in project management. As a person Im fiercly independently minded to the point of a fault but also always wholly open to new ideas and contributions from others and ready to change my mind. I´m lookin for people like this , at least to a degree!

I figure we need additionally:

1. Person who is really good at modding and generally really good at the game itself.

2. Someone specifically good at editing videos (incl effects) and getting them out there in a solid and expedient way.

3. Someone who knows the community well, good at marketing, getting the hype out. Managing twitter if we have one, discord etc. Stuff like that.

4 A guy or a gal who is really interested in or has a BA in history, preferably this period and has read some books on WW2 military OOBs.

5+ Folks who can jump into the game to help us run it, we´d probably need someone monitoring the "global map" for those "global shots" at all times while we play and generally people to play the major powers. Someone with legal knowledge would always be nice to have!

- Possibly voice actors if we don´t use some historical voice clips/speeches. Or maybe someone who can narrate the whole thing like the BBC documentary with David Attenborough
Id be willing to try but I dont know if im any good at it.

I imagine that much of this could be done with a smaller multi-competent team than listed above. But in having a few more than the bare minimum (theoretically perhaps 3 or even 1-2) allows for a bit less time pressure, more bouncing of ideas, better plugging of knowledge gaps and just for a more fun multiplayer experience where one or two people don´t have to manage every single country and keep track of all the units and what not. So the more the merrier (to an extent!).

If you have any comments or ideas feel free to post them here. If you´d like to join the team just write a little bit about yourself and how you´d like to contribute and why either here or to my email at HOITheMovie@protonmail.com

Id love to hear from experienced players if you think this is feasible and to what extent. Getting the casualty rate exactly right is not but that isn´t so important I think. Other than that it seems feasible to me but I am not an expert in HoI 4 as much as I know DH and HoI 3. So I any comments in this direction are especially appreciated early in this stage.

Last edited: