• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vlorious

First Lieutenant
93 Badges
Aug 16, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Hello everyone,

We're going to do another AAR after a long time away. I'll start uploading pics tonight and hopefully get the first post in. You may or may not remember me from my rather interesting failure at the Golden Horde. :)

We'll use the same ideas here: Text follows the associated pics.

Main goal for the playthrough - African Power

Secondary Goals: The new fetishist achievment, I don't remember the name.
Non-achievement Goal: take out Britain, Portugal, Spain, and most importantly - the Low Countries.

Thanks for reading!
Vlorious

Good luck with Kong. Will be watching when you get going.

Cheers!

Good morning everyone.

First and foremost, if there is anyone here expecting to be taught early K literature you should be in Rwanda Hall room 103, over in the annex. You should have received an email from scheduling, I'm afraid you were given the wrong information previously.

For the rest of you, hopefully you expect to be in History 202: Middle Kongo History. This builds on History 201: Early Kongo and African History, a class I highly suggest you take if you have not already. Although in fairness, it is taught by my wife.

This class picks up in the year 1444 and ends in the early 1800's. These dates seems fairly arbitrary but they do coincide with changes in the direction of the country. Through this course we will follow the development of Kongo from a a fairly new Kingdom through its development as a regional power, a colonial power, and eventually into it's Imperial rendition and world-wide influence. I really hope none of this is news to any of you but I do see some blank faces. You may want to do some supplementary reading.

There will be a series of lectures using this holo-slide projector in time to show images from the time period or whatever charts seem useful. These will be loaded into your k-pads if you are present. Assignments will be left in your personal folder. Expect to due several short papers and one larger end of the year term paper that you will hate writing almost as much as I hate grading it.

This class picks up where Early Kongo history left off. As a quick reminder we date the actual founding of the Kingdom of Kongo from when Lukeni Lua Nimi conquered the Mwene Kabunga kingdom. He then moved the capital to Mbanza, where it would stay and, obviously, you see it every day when you leave. Upon Lukeni's death, we aren't entirely certain who claimed the throne - some say a brother, but it isn't as clear cut as it should be for such an important time. Regardless, by 1444 Nkuwu Lukeni was ruling and was considered a "son of Lukeni", which seems odd because some records suggest he didn't have children. However, it is possible that.. ah, I'm sorry, you previously discussed this in 201 and we have more relevant things to discuss.

During this time of flux was also when the Kingdom of Loango became a tributary state and a greater concentration of the population and thus of the power of the state, migrated to the capital city. At some point the co-Kingdom arrangement with Mbata also began to be forgotten and the Mbata Kingdom simply became one of the provinces. We're not sure exactly when or really even how that happened, but for the purposes of this class Mbata is viewed as a part of Kongo rather then a tributary or vassal state like Loango and Ndongo.

So, we begin Lesson 1: Early Expansion and Conquest

W4ooJZp.jpg

As you can see in the above slide, the still relatively young Kingdom of Kongo was a bit larger then any of it's neighbors throughout the Kongo Basin region. Moreso when when remembers that Loango and Ndongo were vassals. It sat at the far end of the trade out leading from the African Great Lakes region to the sea, although Soyo was not nearly the important province that it is today. Not quite the Gateway to Greatness it would become. But the seeds were there, and ivory, worked metal goods and cloth were all traded. These early routes would become the basis for the later century trade dominance in Africa enjoyed by Kongo.

Starting in 1444, King Nkuwu Lukeni would send diplomats and spies into the neighboring tribes. The vassal relationship was strengthened by marrying family members off to Loango and Ndongo. Spies began studying the defenses of Yuka and Kuba. Finally, the vassal states were promised additional lands if they would lend their soldiers to the expansionist plans espoused by King Nkuwu.

CzZ1i7k.jpg

myIJKiW.jpg

The relationships with the vaasal states payed dividends for Nkuwu. Many think that his willingness to admit when he needed help was the one thing that really set Nkuwu apart from other leaders of the time. The help Loango proivde on behalf of their Queen Jeta is but one example of this.

LypRW8I.jpg

In many ways, however, King Nkuwu was either unwilling or unable to emerge from the Kingdom's reliance on a strong noble class. Decisions to enforce rules did strengthen the young kingdom and provided stability to a relatively untested nation, but may have weakened an emerging middle class. Although, given the near future plans that may not have been a bad decision to increase the bonds between the nobles ruling the countryside in his name and leading his armies.

vYtvlmo.jpg

Of course, we cannot discuss the history of Kongo without diving into the world of religion. The people of the Kingdom of Kongo followed a fetishist faith. The King empowered Royal Diviners. This brought the people comfort - it was important that the King was well led.

VpJRM1E.jpg

That faith also infused the armies, who often included holy men within the ranks to inspire the soldiers.

y6mLGrB.jpg

In 1447 the Kingdom of Kongo tested itself against the tiny and, more importantly, unallied tribal Kingdom of Tyo.

eZaGZC4.jpg

General Rallum was placed in charge, a noble of no small consequence. He wasn't the most able of men in the field, but he brought a great deal of logistical knowledge to the job, which was important for forging the many rivers that were a part of Tyo's defensive plans.

s1EuxRK.jpg

When the army finally met that of Tyo, it was an overwhelming victory. Reports indicate that only about 500 soldiers were lost compared to the total destruction of the 4000 man Tyo army.

lYp7r5Q.jpg

Terms of peace were quickly accepted after that, and Tyo was incorporated into Loango as a reward.

GHBjCtB.jpg

Diplomats secured a treaty with Lunda as a counterweight to two other alliance blocks that had formed, one each based around Kuba and Yaka.

09LM6QG.jpg

King Nkuwu's charisma was not just useful in his foreign relations, but even among his own people. It is known that he would wander the countryside and discuss issues with peasants just as much as with the nobility. That helped the kingdom to avoid the revolts that often plagued kingdoms of this time.

EtvoHQT.jpg

In 1451 the plans that King Nkuwu had been putting into place finally bore fruit and war was declared on Yaka. Both vassals sent forces, and Lunda joined the fight in exchange for promises of land. However, Yaka was joined by it's allies; Kalundwe and Kasanje. The balance of forces were technically in almost even, but Kongo expected to fall upon the army of Yaka before it could link with its friends. The spies sent beforehand had reported the Yakan armies exact position.

g6yP45G.jpg

The intelligence proved to be a great boon - the victory was complete, although a decent number of casualties were taken.

epf18vX.jpg

This victory was followed by another as the forces of Kalundwe were tracked down and completely destroyed as well. General Rallum was beginning to attract a lot of attention - three battles, 3 total victories. A parade was held in his honor through the streets of the capital.

NE7Dcnr.jpg

Finally, the forces of Kasanje were engage and while the first battle was not a complete route, the second was. Meanwhile, small detachments of soldiers brought the various provinces into line, capturing cities and towns until they agreed to cease fighting against Kongo.

TiH2tHr.jpg

The first peace treaty was signed with Kalundwe, but it did not results in less fighting. Indeed, the tribes of Kuba and Luba had used Kalundwe's weakness as a change to attack. Unfortunately, King Nkuwu agreed to accept the fealty of the Royal House of Kalundwe and took them as vassals. And assumed responsibility for protecting them.

fW6qcse.jpg

The war against Kuba and Luba was favorable in terms of army size, and also favorable because technically these states were allies of Lunda - this let the King fight his ally's friends without actually antagonizing his sole ally, whom he trusted in all things.

mBHeYhI.jpg

The Kongolese expansion continued but again was more friendly then not. Kasangje was driven from the war and it's lands given to Kongo's vassal in exchange for it's valiant service.

Meanwhile, Kuba was falling to Kongo's forces and Luba had made its forces run into the wilderness rather then face the Kongo army.

RVHHgIr.jpg

With no enemies obviously in site and an aim to continue the expansion process while the army was actually in the field, war was declared upon the tribes of Kikondja. There army was right next to our own and the King wanted to reward his new vassal for already putting troops into the field to fight Luba and Kuba so he pressed Kalundwe's claims upon those lands.

CwaZC8l.jpg

The war had all the makings of another crushing victory for Kongo, but then ill news was received, General Rallum had died in an ambush. While the soldiers fought on, without their glorious leader the results were less certain.

zjfsPJ0.jpg

While the battle for Kikondja was raging, peace was signed with Yaka, splitting its territory evenly with Lunda as per the agreement reached before the war started. While Lunda's good graces might not actually be needed, as mentioned before, King Nkuwu was fairly trustworthy.

SItmrtm.jpg

The battles in Upema were not the victory hoped for. A large number of Kikondja forces escaped to the south and for the first time ever Kongo suffered more casualties then it inflicted.

tSd9UhF.jpg

Meanwhile the diplomats were hard at work. They hammered out a peace treaty with Kuba, increasing the size of Kongo.

bDpXzRL.jpg

Followed by a peace treaty which ended Luba's existance as an independent state. The land was used as a springboard for spies to be launched into the realms of the Great Lakes - Buha and Burundi. Diplomats were also sent to these realms - both to calm their nerves at the sudden and dramatic expansion of the Kingdom of Kongo and, mostly likely, look for exploitable weaknesses.

u0fIRKU.jpg

While I had suggested before that King Nkuwu was not inclined to the merchant classes, it was more correct to say that he would choose the nobility over the merchants for need of arms and men. When a trade mission met with disaster he stepped in with the funds to repair the damage and save the families effected. Admittedly, those funds came from the looted enemies of Kongo, but they were still the King's funds to use as he so desired.

t1Nm4Dk.jpg

Finally, Kikondja also agreed to peace, ceding all of its territories and monies to the crown of Kongo.

In just shy of two full years, Kongo armies had swept through the Kongo Basin, leaving behind only two shattered nations of out of the five it had fought.

tm25uxv.jpg

Many of the new lands were given to Kalundwe, both as a token from our king, and for ease of administration. Doubling the size of Kongo in but two years was a strain upon the administration it was felt best to divy out the responsibility.

zPXf5ac.jpg

This map from the time period indicates that Nkuwu wasn't done with his conquest. His desires includes the still untouched nations of Chokwe and Kazembe and extended into the Great Lakes region.

RBBTw9r.jpg

With peace also came the opportunity to incorporate Loango more directly into Kongo proper - with no formal political entities bordering it to the untamed north there was little point to allowing Loango to exist as a separate entity.

ldv3cew.jpg

Development of the capital city had proceeded apace with the conquests in the hinterlands. I'd mentioned before that Kongo enjoyed a surprisingly large urban population. This only accelerated as additional conquest brougth more funds and power to the capital city.

King Nkuwu used this power to enshrine the nobility with the additional structures of Feudalism. While it cost a great deal of money to bring these ideas to all of the provinces, the state did after all have plenty of looted funds still.

dLTF0X5.jpg

A quick look at the various political, military, and diplomatic pushes in the capital province of Mpemba.

CTzbeMN.jpg

The vassal of Ndongo was also annexed into the greater Kongo state, leaving but one vassal. Who was having some difficulty with rebellions in the new territories. The Kongo army would be used to keep the peace in Kalundwe, starting a tradition of allowing the Kongo army unfettered access.

kDmFs0h.jpg

Worship of Mwari was widespread in our own realms, outside of them other spirits held sway. The King enforced the religion of his forefathers whenever he felt he could get away with it, exchanging unhappiness for a bit more control over the province.

bSPDrDO.jpg

During the peaceful years following 1451 through 1453, the King's willingness to be involved in many facets of his realm's well being paid dividends, resulting in a great leap in production in Yaka.

We will pick up here next time. Make sure you keep current on your reading.

OOC: So, we're off on another adventure. To be fair, I started my first Kongo game in 17 but it petered out the face of a France-Spain-Portugal hug and the desire to upgrade to v18. This is actually my second game in v18, in the first I didn't put enough time/effort into developing my capital and conquered quicker and more directly, when 1500 rolled around Kongo was left in the dust. That... won't happen here. :) While it is possible to finish off the basin faster then I'm doing here, it isn't... wise I think. Although I'm sure it can be done, especially with another vassal, but even with using the granting land option my one vassal is at 47% loyalty so I'm not sure how fine you can cut it.

I'm way ahead of the game, so the only delay on getting these posted should be excess time. I'll try to keep them flowing on a regular basis.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
That was a nice chapter, I like your writing.

What are your long term goals for you to take the Kongo to victory?

Thank you.

Well, African Power certainly. I'd like to turn the tables on the colonizers. Briefly from this point:
Step 1: Gather up my region - Kongo Basin should all be mine so I can claim all of the trade.
Step 2: Get into Great Lakes region and dismantle it as quickly as I can - probably also using vassals to spare admin points like I'm doing in near Kongo lands. Also, get to the Gold Mines on the east coast of Africa and hopefully be in position to dominate that trade node asap.
Step 3: Although this is step three, I consider it more important then the first two. Be in position to get the Colonization trigger in 1500. So, that means:
A: Advance my nation Feudalism and ah, my brain is failing me, but the 1650 one before 1500.
B: Advance Admin to unlock the first idea set
C: Use the first idea set to unlock exploration and colonization - find the new world and get set up there (need a +20% range advisor as well).

If I get lucky I'll have the homebase for Colonization spread and that should slow it down throughout the European world.

This should give me a base of operations and help level out the technology flow so I can catch up to the European powers. After that, leverage any advantage I can find. Assuming I can break up Portugal and Spain take them apart asap, and Britain as well - any of them can go hostile for crap reasons involving enslaving my nation.

After that, well, I find it hard to sit in place. We'll conquer everything I can and bring African power to Europe, India and Asia.

The real trick early is to expand, use enough points to develop the capital to trigger Feudalism, etc. and still be able to tech up.

Nice to see something out of Africa, as it were. Certainly the initial expansion is proceeding very nicely.

subbed

Wonderful start, and a mightily ambitious plan. Can't wait to see you put it into action. I have no doubt you'll be successful in it.

Cheers!

Lesson 2: Into the Great Lakes

After five years of peace the Kingdom of Kongo had rebuilt its army and even balanced its treasury - an unusual occurrence for any government as you know. Obviously, it was time to continue with King Nkuwu's plan of unifying the entire world. Well, his world anyway. Although rumors of distant lands to the north were peculating even now.

NhjahTS.jpg

The invasion of the Great Lakes region began with a conquest aimed at the province of Ruguru on the far side of Lake Tanganyika, currently ruled by the Buha Kingdom. This war would attempt to let Kongo project its power into a new region. The biggest problem - there were miles of unclaimed, uncivilized land between the two realms, inhabited by unfriendly tribes. It was luck of the draw if an army crossing this region would be attacked by untold numbers of natives.

DTbLJ9F.jpg

As it happened, this to had been planned upon - King Nkuwu sent gold ahead of his army and bribed his way across the northern region of Lega and secured crossing from the friendly power of Rwanda. The arrival of an army that strong sent the forces of Buha running, where they were met by native forces who were not happy with what they saw as an invasion. Buha lost more men fighting accidental battles in the wilderness then directly against the invading Kongo forces.

0MrxW5k.jpg

The forces of Bugunda were caught at home as prepared as they could be, but were routed over a couple of months worth of engagements. The new general, Nguesso, gained a name for himself and the loyalty of his troops during this phase of the war.

31u73Ab.jpg

Bugunda was let off the hook in exchange for its treasury and future tribute.

UIl5GYs.jpg

Meanwhile, in the capital, advancement of technology was beginning to be felt and production of goods throughout the kingdom increased dramatically over the next few years.

31u73Ab.jpg

The war with Buha came to a close and the nobility were offered a choice, a bloody one for King Nkuwu was not normally quite so ruthless. The extermination of their the Buha people, or the chance to become a vassal of Kongo and enjoy the benefits that came with such a status. They choose to become a vassal state of Kongo.

aUHBoIA.jpg

As with all vassal relationships the King would cast blessings upon his servants if they were loyal. To cement the ties between Buha and Kongo, war was pressed upon the friendly, but apparently now unecessary, Rwandian people. With the armies already in position, well....

AEJlkGy.jpg

The main Rwanda force was destroyed in but 34 days.

Gd2UOXv.jpg

Even while fighting, investments in the future of Kongo proceeded on a regular basis. Trade networks were expanded into the new lands, bringing fortunes to favored merchants and, indirectly, to the King.

xuWcDSr.jpg

Rwanda was annexed in November of 1462, having held out almost another five months after its army was destroyed. After using the territory to spy on Nkore, the lands were given to Buha.

JmK1N1L.jpg

The Kingdom of Kongo had been sending diplomats to the far side of Africa as well during the invasion of the Great Lakes. They reported that three major powers were locked in conflict - and all used weapons far in advance of our own. While reaching the gold trade might be a goal of King Nkuwu, it wasn't directly pursuable without finding an ally and someone to control the land for the King. With the uncivilized lands between the two areas it would be close to impossible to hold territory without intermediaries.

After years of watching, it was noticed that the small nation of Tumbuka was friendless and weakened by previous conflict. There was no excuse given for this war as the Kongo army emerged from the jungle - it was a naked territorial grab.

3vn2xlH.jpg

This action drastically alienated the states neighboring Kongo. They had always viewed King Nkuwu as a ruthless man, but one of his word who acted in good faith. With these action they saw him as a naked conqueror and realized that they needed to fear for their own safety.

Truthfully, they were right to fear, but not Nkuwu.

jEazAGN.jpg

The Tumbuka War was over before it started really, and they too accepted the offer of vassalization. Unfortunately, the chance to return their realm to its rightful size weather by reclaiming lands from Maravi or expanding generally was some time away. This was one plot of King Nkuwu which didn't pay the dividends hoped for.

3E5E19Q.jpg

Constant warfare resulted in advances in military technology and the armament of infantry units increased during this time period.

9nVo2e9.jpg

Towards the end of 1465 King Nkuwu passed away, a man who had guided the Kingdom of Kongo to new heights. Kongo now claimed territory every corner of what was, at the time, the entirety of the known world.

The new king, Nkuwu's son Nzinga, was known as a diplomat who had done great service already in convincing Buha to be loyal after they were brought into the Kingdom by force.

JDMIjnD.jpg

He was known for his great faith, which often encouraged other nations to view him favorably - even those who followed the strange ways of the Sunni prophets in the great and powerful nation of Kilwa.

Q2wuFFB.jpg

Given his constant work in Buha, no one was surprised when he took a consort from that land. What did surprise many was the sheer competence of the new Queen. There have been many suggestions that she was the real force behind some of Nzinga's efforts, and exploration of that topic may be of interest to some of you for your paper. Or if you take Women's Study's, where they devote an entire chapter to this woman. Regardless, her work behind the scenes can be seen in found in many of the dealings of Kongo over the next decades.

abAFZTQ.jpg

King Nzinga's great faith included relying on Sorceresses and other facets of the fetishist faith. While perhaps we find it but a charming idea now, the priesthood, in all its forms, held great sway over the people of Kongo and the alliance between church and state would pay great dividends in keeping the peace at home.

ynWJdd7.jpg

The new King would only wait for a bit more then 1 year before taking up where his father left off. War upon the small remnants of Kuba, bringing in both Kub's allies and the long time friendly kingdom of Lunda.

xoJegdv.jpg

Battles were in Kongo's favor both initially, and

xl84YVK.jpg

As other nations armies were engaged.

3yFxQVw.jpg

To honor his father's spirit, King Nzinga would commision the first Temple within Kongo's territory. Construction was started in 1467 and would finish the next year.

And it seems we are out of time. Tomorrow we will discuss the results of the 2nd Kuba War and Nzinga's future endeavors.

OOC: Not quite as much action but we're moving forward and achieve Admin 4 at the tail end of that section.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Stability Bae! :p

That manpower... Oy vey. I'm not sure I could have the patience to deal with such small manpower pools.

Last edited:
The expansion of Kongo's influence continues quite nicely however.

Stability Bae! :p

That manpower... Oy vey. I'm not sure I could have the patience to deal with such small manpower pools.
Ya, manpower is an ongoing problem at this point - I can't afford to keep mercs around (assuming I want to buy my way to tech increases), so I'm threading the needle on manpower. I'm not sure if that's the right choice, but the armies haven't been held up too much.

Lesson 3: Towards a Greater World

Good Morning class. As you recall, I'm sure, we left off with young King Nzinga's War against Kuba and it's allies.

OMfhqId.jpg

Even as the war raged in the Kongo basin, some whom had been worried about Kongo's expansionist policies were lulled into believing they had overreacted. Maravi was the first to bow out of the overall defensive agreement.

IjaeWcD.jpg

Meanwhile the small nation of Chokwe took one of the province's Kongo had marked as its own. Then, seeking protection against Kongo wrath, they tried to re-ignite the coalition arrayed against us.

Since they were the only member, King Nzinga decided to simply declare the war that Chokwe had hoped to avoid. Historians all firmly belive that Nzinga would have attacked the Chokwe kingdom eventually anyway, but this certainly hastened the decision.

UqNg45J.jpg

King Nzinga's relationship with his bride led to the investment of a great deal of political capital with his Queen's homeland. This ongoing effort led to a great increase of mutual respect between the two political entities and Buha's armies would be made available for future actions.

Meanwhile, Chokwe forces were dispersed and no orgnized resistance to Kongo continued in the basin.

gnryCWf.jpg

Kazembe forces surrendered two thirds of their territories in the peace treaty that ended the war and their support for Kuba.

GO16dnp.jpg

And with their ally dispersed, Kuba's King surrendered his lands and crown.

ZpV9yxk.jpg

Finally, at the end of 1468, Chokwe was forced to give up it's ancient capital and the lands they'd newly claimed.

36T6QsS.jpg

Over the next few years King Nzinga would attempt to learn more of the military world - even going so far as appointing himself a general and leading troops in drills. On the home front, Queen Baramparaye often issued pronouncements in his name and was known to be increasingly interested in the technological development of the nation.

OOC: The Queen picked up the -5% tech bonus and I really want her in charge - since I was still without a heir I made the attempt. It never paid off but ...

9Wr3mMS.jpg

King Nzinga, or perhaps the Queen, was known to continue their father's legacy of supporting young merchants whenever possible. The protection of these trade routes would pay off in the future, and more immediately as the emerging middle class was extremely helpful the continuing build-up of the capital.

Meanwhile, both spies and diplomats were constantly at work to the east, especially with the nation of Kilwa whom was the power of the region.

9kXqhHx.jpg

Ongoing loyalty from Buha allowed them to suggest that they press their ancestral claims to the north. This resulted in war with three of the four independent powers in the Great Lakes region. Nkore was the technical target, but it was expected that gains would be pressed everywhere they could be.

retr325.jpg

The hammer fell on Burundi's isolated forces first, destroying them completely.

BgMkePm.jpg

Follow up campaign's pressed north, destroying enemy forces when they could be found - which was rarely as they retreated both to the north and into the untamed wilderness.

3N36enR.jpg

The one surprising result of the small conflicts was King Nzinga's competence as a general, most specifically, his ability to run cavalry operations. Few had believed he would have ability in the arts of war, but memoirs from the soldiers of the time indicate they were quite impressed with him as both King and General.

hkXceQP.jpg

As previously noted, when necessary, the Lukeni family was more then happy to support the nobles of Kongo in exchange for their loyalty - and army.

RC3sObN.jpg

King Nzinga's religious bent has already been remarked upon. He was always happy to provide public funding to the ongoing spiritual development of the nation. As far as we can tell, the anti-Nzinga demagogue was disappeared shortly thereafter.

aRP6HxL.jpg

Burundi was absorbed into Buha.

Busoga was let off the hook for a cash pay-out.

4jqVtne.jpg

And finally Nkore was was fully annexed and divided among Kongo and Buha.

21zzdPS.jpg

The military and political expansion was but one facet of the policies being pushed by the government. In the year 1476 Kongo began to take a more active interest in the world around them.

CcILvlf.jpg

An explorer was hired and ships built to send him on a journey to the north.

g6YxcTX.jpg

And word of a nations to our north came back - the lands of Benin were discovered. A colony was started in the unclaimed lands midway between Kongo and this 'Benin'.

Colonization policies in Kongo even early on were extremely friendly to the natives of the territories being expanded into - whenever possible they were invited to join in the territory and the nation. And if they choose not to, were allowed to continue to live as they choose so long as they did nothing to disrupt the colony or join with out enemies.

As if that was a sign from the spirits - and it was announced as such - a heir was finally born. Garcia was now heir to the Kingdom of Kongo.

You can also see in the slide here that the newly taken lands were given to the vassal states of Kalundwe and Buha to manage rather then remain under the direct control of Kongo. The policy of granting additional lands to the vassals was a plan to offset the ongoing liberty desire of managing a trio of vassals whose combined power was more then that of their overlord themselves.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Well now, starting to seek beyond the traditional realms of knowledge. What dangers await I wonder? :D

Lesson 4: Unifying the Kongo Basin

Greetings class. I hope you enjoyed your weekend. Now then, we left off with Kongo taking its first steps towards becoming aware of and joining the wider world.

However, there were still some issues nearer to home to deal with.

F0sSlja.jpg

The remaining rump nations of Chokwe and Kazembe has allied together in an effort to stave off the Kongo forces. This might have been allowed to pass, but then Chokwe insulted King Nzinga. The exact words have been lost in time - as was the head of the warrior who delivered it. But the response has not been - "Your world will only be flames."

dKVPXBh.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the resulting battles were quickly resolved - while the Kingdom of Kongo in 1478 was hardly a technological wonder or a powerhouse by the standards of the rest of the world at that time, it was the premier power of southern Africa, ah, alongside Kilwa that is, who was significantly more advanced militarily.

Both nations were absorbed into Kongo before the year ended. With that victory, only Kongo's longtime ally Lunda remained as an independent state withing the Kongo basin. And the King began to wonder what wonders lay in wait to the north.

Y1tkyO2.jpg

The great shine in Yaka continued to be improved, King Nzinga's spiritual desires were usually just as important to him as the more political ones.

Fe7Fo8F.jpg

War was declared in 1480 against the Kingdom of Benin. They had allies, Dohomey and Mossi, apparently, but our exploration fleet had not encountered them and it could only be guessed at their size and that they lay somewhere inland in the vast lands hinted at by their travels.

It was a war of guesswork and shadows - no good map existed for the invading armies. On the other hand, it appeared that the enemy forces had no idea where Kongo was either and delayed getting their armies together, perhaps believing Benin's request for aid was akin to declaring that talking apes had invaded.

Regardless, the goal of the war was the extremely valuable natural harbor that Beninese ships were using. The trade routes of what was becoming known as the Ivory coast could be extremely valuable as southern and northern African trade became connected. Control of that port would provide great wealth and opportunity it was believed by King Nzinga. Something proven to be true obviously.

jU4mq4B.jpg

The initial reports actually came from our naval forces. Just one proper warship was sent, built specifically for this war. It was enough,the Battle of the Gulf of Guinea was the first naval victory in the history of Kongo.

In addition, our soldiers began reporting a wide range of new belief systems, believes that the spiritual leaders of the time would grapple with to no end. I'd suggest that a paper exploring the religious influence of these new cults could be very interesting, if someone were so inclined to delve into the inner workings of the fetishist faiths.

ktCdnBe.jpg

A second naval victory followed the first, and our explorer became well known for his ship handling capabilities. Which was good because it wasn't possible to explore any further then Kongo already had with the limited ship building possessed by the shipwrights of the time. It was hoped that once Benin was claimed the port there would open up the ability to explore just a bit further.

Meanwhile, the land campaign stalled, held up by a fortification the likes of which Kongo had never seen. Benin's army fled deeper into the country, away from the now-deadly south lands, abandoning the capital city.

ZkY6KZQ.jpg

Eventually the fortress fell. And when it did, Kongo agreed to a peace treaty with Benin. Many suspect this was a mistake, that Kongo could have, and should have pushed deeper into Benin for more territory, and, more importantly, for more connections to other realms. But, there was a deep worry among the military regarding the long rumored allies of Benin and where and when their forces might show up.

Overall, this was probably an overrated fear, but the King wanted to be sure he claimed just enough of thees new lands to get a feel for the new territory. In that, he succeeded.

lRRrJRN.jpg

Following this invasion, there was peace for five years while the Kingdom of Kongo worked out some administrative issues and, more importantly, brought its vassal Kalundwe under direct control of the King Nzinga. This deal effectively doubled the lands of Kongo proper and healed a treasury that had been hurting from the strain of the military and naval build-up. Well, if one warship can be considered a build up.

G1aaE6y.jpg

Not surprisingly, this was followed up by a war against the nation of Bunyoro, who had absorbed what was left of the Great Lakes nations. Unfortunately, our long ally Lunda choose to stand with Bunyoro - a marriage had bound the two nations royal houses together, more tightly apparently then King Nzinga's aunt's blood. This was considered an unfortunate but fortunate decision - after all, there was really no need for the Lundian alliance but it would have been unkind for King Nzinga to break it himself.

mSjVN9c.jpg

The army of Lunda was trapped between two Kongo forces and crushed over two battles.

1JvhUDQ.jpg

Our main army moved north into the Great Lakes, leaving behind just enough men to handle the occupation needs. There the Bunyoro army was joined in battle even as vassal forces occupied their territory.

The colonization effort of Cameroon was proceeding so well that many were inspired to join the effort. A whole new world awaited it was believed. And remember, that was just the previously unknown portions of Africa.

Osr2BPm.jpg

Even as the war raged on - or at least moved forward; there was little doubt of the result unless Kilwa had chosen to become involved and that wasn't going to happen given the, for the time period, distances involved, the nation of Kongo was becoming more advanced by the year.

The city of Kongo had grown into a metropolis - the capital city housed more people and engaged in more trade then, arguably, any other city in the world - there were richer cities, certainly, due to location and the wealth of entire regions, but no other city was in itself as developed as Mpemba.

All of this development lead to a Renaissance, similar to the one that had already started to occur in Europe, but distinctly and very African in flavor. The entire nation began to change.

ZgJafVM.jpg

All these developments led to what historians generally feel was a great increase in the power of Kongo. Many place Kongo within the ranks of the most powerful nations of the world starting from about 1488 and, well, obviously onward. But consider at the time, Kongo was being discussed along with the intact nation of Ming and the greatest of the European states. Admittedly, these nations knowledge of each other was mostly rumor and hearsay, but the world was growing larger and the fate of many of these nations were converging. Of course, Poland of the time was considered powerful as well and we all know that Kongo and Poland never would meet.

l5oGZcl.jpg

Obviously, oblivious to this larger picture the war against Lunda and Bunyoro was winding down. Lunda agreed to peace in exchange for changing it's status from ally to vassal.

0l6P98a.jpg

And the first Bunyoro War ended in 1489, after just two years of fighting.

5gmC7sA.jpg

By the Swedish scoring system - as I'm sure you understand from the supplemental reading - Kongo had come into its first points. It also was considered more powerful the Ming, surprisingly.

We also see the first real approach of the Europeans - the Portuguese had begun colonizing down the northern coast of west Africa. Rumors had become truth and their power was evident to the explorers who reported back to King Nzinga. It was evident if Kongo was going to flourish in the face of such countries it would have to grow more powerful quickly. Plans were developed - lands Kongo needed before the Europeans could claim them. Technology that would need to be developed and produced - especially weapons.

The first stage was obvious, there was one direction that Kongo would have to expand in first or be pushed out altogether. Troops were moved north; Benin had been conquered after its war with Kongo left it in a weakened state. This presented an opportunity and King Nzinga utilized it. He claimed that Kongo alone had the right to Benin's lands.

p6oCrEq.jpg

The war against Zazzau would begin in 1490. Zazzau would bring two allies about which the Kingdom of Kongo new little, but the balance of forces appeared to be in Kongo's favor - assuming they could find the enemy and engage them before something untoward happened.

We will pick up with the Zazzau War and the beginnings of the meetings with the Europeans tomorrow. Make sure you actually read the next chapter.

And, somehow, Kongo is a great power. Military tech is still utter crap and despite the number advantage, I'm outclassed by these nations assuming equal numbers. I recall this as something of a roll of the dice - I needed the access to other west African nations that I'd failed to secure in the 1st Benin war.

Meanwhile, exploration happened in little bursts, but I hadn't made it to America and I only had ten years to go - I needed a closer port or I'd miss out on another institution and I didn't want to fall further behind in tech (I think I was military 4 vs Portugal and Kilwa's 7, but I'll look for confirmation in the pics next time)

Thank you for reading

Last edited:
5gmC7sA.jpg

By the Swedish scoring system - as I'm sure you understand from the supplemental reading - Kongo had come into its first points. It also was considered more powerful the Ming, surprisingly.
That really looks confusing as hell: for great power system you're number 5, but for the normal score system you're number 68th o_O? Paradox is increasingly making very weird design choices if you ask me...

We also see the first real approach of the Europeans - the Portuguese had begun colonizing down the northern coast of west Africa.
You definitely have to take the CoT in the Ivory Coast, if you want to secure your trade flow. You may not be able to reach the Americas that way, but you would be able to cut off all trade coming from Brazil and the rest of the Americas that way, which should harm the colonisers. Which is in turn good for you. Good chapter, keep it going :).

You definitely have to take the CoT in the Ivory Coast, if you want to secure your trade flow. You may not be able to reach the Americas that way, but you would be able to cut off all trade coming from Brazil and the rest of the Americas that way, which should harm the colonisers. Which is in turn good for you. Good chapter, keep it going :).

That was my thought, although, truthfully, I hadn't sketched out the what the best method to launch future explorations was. I assumed striking north for the COT's would check three boxes: trade/cash, expansion, and the ports needed to get across the ocean.

Thanks for the kind words.

I understand the scoring and the great power rankings, but the lack of cohesion is a bit strange. But I also know that at that point my nation would have likely been toast against most of the other powers. Some sort of actual tech multiplier would be more useful then tech (institution) penalty % I think. And maybe development * autonomy - I had a lot of land with not much value. Shrug, I'll take the great power ranking.

What that does mean that I didn't go into is that Kongo finally has some power projection - I haven't been able to rival anyone yet so, despite the success, missing a bonus that most other nations would have had by now. What I don't get is why I couldn't rival Kilwa - I suspect that they were simply more powerful then me for the most part. I know I certainly would have lost if I fought them due to the military tech imbalance. But if they were more powerful, then why am I on the Great Power list.... Actually, Rivals is still something that annoys me. Power Projection is a bit better with the Great Power bonus although still a strange thing.