• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can't wait to see updates on this mod, particularly now that 1.05 is out. Take all the time you need - it'll be worth the WW1 experience everyone has been waiting for.

I need a few days to port the mod to DH 1.05, as I must remove some no longer necessary workarounds. The DH patch having won the race against the EiF map, WiF3 alpha 0.07 will be released soon and porting to the new map will be postponed to alpha 0.08.

Development Diary #20: alpha 0.07 release (5 December 2017)

After the long awaited release of the 1.05 patch for Darkest Hour, WiF3 has been ported to it. I took advantage of it to make use of some new modding commands in existing events, such as the one adding brigades or the resource-specific industrial modifiers.

There are comparatively few major features in this release, given that its original target, the diplomatic system (which heavily relies on province IDs), now requires the EiF map to be finished and implemented. Yet, we did not remain idle, as you can see in the changelog:

### Alpha 0.07 (target: conversion to DH 1.05)

255. Added two background screens by Francis E. Dec.
256. New scenario plate by Melkor89.
257. Minor changes to assault troops and fort artillery stats.
258. Implemented data from Melkor89's Ministers & Leaders Mod. Added 83 ministers, 86 leaders and 276 pictures.
259. Deleted a double entry in ENG leaders file for Lanoe Hawker.
260. Changed distribution of heavy artillery and Landwehr divisions for U08 according to more accurate data.
261. Added sounds from Mod 1914 files (25 in all).
262. Reduced manpower costs for artillery attachments and revised strength accordingly in scenario files and mobilisation events.
263. Revised engineer attachments in OOBs.
264. Corrected a bug which prevented upgrade towards certain unit types.
265. Edited leader trait names to remain consistent with the mod's era and changes.
266. Shortened leader rank names to limit issues with leaders bearing long names.
267. Implemented Melkor89's database for Italy. 36 ministers, 191 leaders, 395 pictures added, and many more database improvements.
268. Implemented jamiroquai000's database for Greece. 20 ministers, 48 leaders, 132 pictures added, with more database improvements.
269. Changed the color scale for the map and allocated the new colors to country tags accordingly.
270. Database standardization, cleaning and improvement for tech teams, ministers and leaders. Start and end dates are now comprised between 1912 and 1924, and retirement date is the same as end date.
271. Edited minister file for HUN to follow the Hungarian naming custom (family name first).
272. Sarajevo assassination event now correctly removes Franz Ferdinand as a leader for U09.
273. Changed starting experience for manpower in policy effects file and replaced the mostly empirical scenario files experience values with a unified logic.
274. Inactivated range penalty for large fleets.
275. Reduced maximum size of air stacks to 2.
276. Replaced Umberto Nobile with Gaetano Crocco as an airship specialized tech team for ITA.
277. Added 26 leaders to HOL and edited its starting OOB accordingly (20 pics).
278. Replaced Pecori Girardi with Caviglia and added Giuseppe Bassi as land doctrine tech team for ITA.
279. Added J.F.C. Fuller as a specialized mobility doctrine tech team for ENG.
280. Changed IDs for several land and air brigades (7 in all) that were reusing naval brigade IDs (the latter have a distinct AI command system which could have caused trouble with the future implementation of AI building schemes).
281. Implemented trade AI for starting countries (25 files added, 6 edited).
282. Changed distribution of OTT reserve divisions ("Redif") in order to make the First Balkan War more challenging for the player.
283. Solved a bug which prevented SER to properly join the Entente at the onset of the Great War.
284. Edited diplomatic alignment of SER, MTN and OTT in anticipation of the future diplomatic system.
285. Simplified repression events. Now the choice to crack down on pacifists/strikers/mutineers automatically pops up one day after the protest/strike/mutiny event, instead of relying on triggers.
286. Adjusted colonial mobilization events to the new colonial resource distribution (see alpha 0.06 changelog).
287. Changed events relative to the Russian special brigades according to their actual TOE (6 battalions instead of 8).
288. Added Bruce Meade Hamilton to ENG's leader file and placed him at the head of Scottish Command.
289. Replaced modern or World War 2-themed famous quotes with 80 Great War era ones.
290. Minor changes to brigade allotments: Mg can't be attached to HQ anymore, Inf can be attached to MTN, GAR can receive 2 attachments instead of 1, and TRM can receive Mg and Mtn Arty attachments now.
291. Changed distribution of artillery attachments among British Territorial Force units, according to more accurate data.
292. Human ENG player will not have to build brigades for second line Territorial Force units anymore, just to upgrade outdated material.
293. Changed unit types for 8. ID and 44. LID in U09 starting OOB, from INF to MTN.
294. Adjusted attachment distribution for USA Regular Army and National Guard units, and edited their mobilization costs accordingly.
295. Added new propaganda poster for Spain.
296. Added Lt Inf attachments to ENG's Territorial Force divisions on account of the existing cyclist battalions.
297. Changed starting money pools based on League of Nations data about pre-war national gold reserves.
298. All "sailors" divisions given through mobilization (1 for ENG, 2 for RUS, 3 for U08) are now light divisions (LGT) with a naval infantry attachment (a similar understrength LGT with Nav Inf is to be added later for FRA).
299. Replaced Wille with Sprecher von Bernegg as Chief of Staff for SCH, and removed Wille as Chief of Navy (a meaningless post for SCH). Added Sonderegger and Roost as chiefs of staff.
300. Added an event replacing Haldane with Seely as ENG's minister of war.
301. Basic portage to Darkest Hour 1.05: the mod is now functional and without errors in savedebug.
302. Removed additional supplies when relative (i.e. percentage of max daily output from CGs) money value where substracted (bug solved by DH 1.05).
303. Used new resource modifier commands in resource-related economic decisions, instead of the previous workarounds.
304. Used the new add_brigade command to edit mobilization events for several countries (ENG, FRA, RUS, SER, U08, U09, USA), either adding one more choice or removing workarounds.
305. French Army HQs are now included in the starting OOB.
306. Russian-recruited Czechoslovak divisions now have correct numbers.

Please be aware that it is still an alpha version, which means that the mod remains in an unfinished state and that some basic features are yet to be implemented. Therefore, you should not expect to find more in alpha 0.07 than what was already in the basic alpha 0.06, augmented by the content of the above changelog.

Apart from this, we also worked (hard) on the map, and undertook many design or preparatory work for additional features and files. I also started casual research about the Russian Civil War, and generally speaking the immediate post-war period. Although I have previously stated that the mod would never be extended past 1921, this is too fascinating an era to be set aside. As a result, I’m now contemplating to put the scenario’s end at the end of 1923. However, let us be clear: post-war era will not be implemented before the end of the (yet to come) beta process.

Beyond this remote possibility, the next immediate goal remains the map. We hope to finish it in early 2018, with the mod being converted in the following weeks/months. However, we cannot give any ETA as of now.

I’d like to take advantage of this Dev’Diary to thank the DH Team, for their fantastic work on the 1.05 patch, and you, the community, for your many suggestions, comments, and help in building WiF3 – either on this thread or through PMs.

And now, the download links. As was suggested to me earlier, I added a Mega link in case Mediafire should be unavailable.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/a0n7l0jgl8ure8s/WiF3_0.07.7z
https://mega.nz/#!w3hzCDxZ!w4JSDjkL9a7e8Ud-AJjmBJPz6n-4lIEavVgAp6Wl4Ow

Checksum for WiF3 alpha 0.07 version: MFDW

(download link edited in the thread’s first post)

Installation:

- If you did not have installed WiF3 previously, just unzip the file in the Mods folder of your DH directory.

- If WiF3 is already installed, the best solution is to delete the former version, then to replace it with the new version.

Last edited:
Congratulations on yet another fine release!

So I was reading some interesting historical papers and I think you could add the "Declaring a Jihad" event for the Ottomans. It was a double-edged sword for the Sultan. On one hand it was useful to rally the Muslim manpower, but on the other hand if the initial goals are not achieved, than dissent would rise from it. I think if the Ottomans are still at war at the end of 1917 than they would be in a trouble. (If they have declared Jihad.)
The second event could be the "Military issue of the non-Muslims." The Ottoman Army had relatively few Balkan people, Christians and such. Even if they were approved as soldiers, they were usually used only as a workforce and not as a fighting unit. Also, they were almost never granted the title of an officer. This could be dealt with an event, in which the player or AI would choose how to handle them. They could be granted full military approval with a large dissent hit, leave the current situation, or be even harsher. The latter would ease the tension in the Empire, but it would be followed by revolts in the western part of the country.
If the Ottomans are successful in Europe and they have taken some visible land, than a new event could pop-up in which they could claim the Balkans. Quite a lot of Ottoman generals had such ambition, but this would alienate them from AH.
The Ottomans could also strike towards Russia. At first it would be a nightmare in the Caucasus, but initially if they are successful, than various uprisings could happen in Central Asia and in support of the Sultan.
Since the last Crimean Khan is living in Istanbul, they could also recreate the Crimean Khanate. (Which is not nearly ASB, since there was no Stalin and communist massacre yet, so Crimea is still having a large Tartar minority, and there is also a hundred-thousand Tartars in the Ural, whom could migrate even partially to the nearby ethnic state.

These are much interesting ideas, thank you. A Jihad decision is already planned for OTT. It will allow to fund revolts in Entente colonies at a very low cost, while tying Entente resources and units away from the main fronts. Your ideas will certainly help to give the whole thing a broader look.

I've been away from home for nearly three weeks due to a scheduled surgery, but I'll be back behind my pc in a couple of days. In the meantime I've been refining theoretical aspects of the diplomatic system, while Rhysaxiel is finetuning his mapmodding tools.

Working for real this time...

1517826643471601662.jpg

Manlleu is bad located, and many sites I'have never heard about them, if you post the entire Spain map I can provide you the important villages of every zone.

Heck, Manlleu is supposed to be in Catalonia, not here... The city appeared to be misplaced on my atlas as well. The most important village in that somewhat underpopulated area is apparently San Pedro Manrique. Thank you for your report.

As for the other names, please note:
- whenever possible, some are in traditional English (that is, how they were internationally known in the early 20th century);
- many choices might have been dictated by length considerations (to make sure province names could be written on the map in a readable fashion, I favored short names if possible);
- in some cases historical reasons made me keep some obscure villages instead of more significant towns (as is the case for Brunete and Belchite here).

EDIT:
- also, some localities' name might have changed, although I don't remember any example from Spain.

Last edited:
I had just try this mod and it is impressive. I really like the tech tree, and overall i like the unit chnages and such. I'm excited to see what it finally becomes!

If you have a map from Central Europe, than I can help you with names for them.

I did much research already (for the entire map), but as with @tioperete for Spain I will send you maps of Central Europe as soon as I'm done with them. I already have some trouble with my current drawing software (very easy to use and free of charge), which doesn't recognize some magyar and slavic letters.

As a sidenote, there is another "rule" for map names: the language used is English or (that is, in most cases) the language of the ruling country at WiF3's scenario start (May 1912). Combined with other design choices, this makes virtually impossible to satisfy everyone here.

I had just try this mod and it is impressive. I really like the tech tree, and overall i like the unit chnages and such. I'm excited to see what it finally becomes!

Thank you very much for your kind words.

You are right, in some cases the naming process is problematic: https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/shepherd/austria_hungary_1911.jpg
One problem is, that there are German names in the Hungarian parts. I don't know why do they have German ones in English maps. For example Grosswardein. In Hungarian it is Nagyvárad, Nagyvarad (if you want it without problematic letters.) Even the later Romanian name is better with Oradea.
Debreczin was not called so by anyone. It is Debrecen.
Weissenburg is Fehérvár (Fehervar)
Klausenburg is Kolozsvár or in later Romanian Cluj-Napoca.
So if you have something, I'll check it.
I think before 1920 they should have Hungarian names, but if a mod starts after 1920, than I agree with the Romanian naming process.
The German names are inaccurate.

As much as possible, I tried to assign Hungarian names in the Kingdom of Hungary and German ones in the Empire of Austria (after all, there was no common citizenship in Austria-Hungary, one was either Austrian or Hungarian). There might, however, remain a couple of German names in western Croatia. I think I corrected much of the inaccurate English names beforehand (I also worked from early 20th century English maps, thankfully inaccuracies are often obvious... anyway this mostly applies to major cities only).