• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do people speak about the current setup when speaking about WCs, or Ironman in the last couple of versions of the game? I think the OP is not asking about what happened in 2015, or reloading a game 500 times until you get the right kind of events you want.
It's not necessary to savescum or reload for events. Lambda did that because he was trying to break a record and he was very clear what rules he would be playing under.

The only RNG that really can make an impact on your game is monarch points, especially in the early game. A nice 5/4/5 ruler or so can really make the difference in the early game compared to a 1/2/1. You need mil points to win harder early game wars, admin points to core your initial expansion and to stay ahead on innovativeness (which reduces all power costs).

Later on in the game you're rich enough to run level 5 advisors all around and you're already stronger than everyone.

There are certain starts I would probably restart until I got what I wanted. I.e Saluzzo can annex an excommunicated Savoy (by calling in Burgundy) almost immediately. Sometimes early game diplomacy is legitimately horrendous too. But otherwise, no, you don't need lucky events, Burgundian Inheritance, Emperorship or anything like that to do a world conquest, they're just bonuses.

• 2Like
Reactions:
the most dificult in WC are not game constraints, but the player mentality to overcome tedious multitasking, especially the first time around

any country can do WC

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's not necessary to savescum or reload for events. Lambda did that because he was trying to break a record and he was very clear what rules he would be playing under.

The only RNG that really can make an impact on your game is monarch points, especially in the early game. A nice 5/4/5 ruler or so can really make the difference in the early game compared to a 1/2/1. You need mil points to win harder early game wars, admin points to core your initial expansion and to stay ahead on innovativeness (which reduces all power costs).

Later on in the game you're rich enough to run level 5 advisors all around and you're already stronger than everyone.

There are certain starts I would probably restart until I got what I wanted. I.e Saluzzo can annex an excommunicated Savoy (by calling in Burgundy) almost immediately. Sometimes early game diplomacy is legitimately horrendous too. But otherwise, no, you don't need lucky events, Burgundian Inheritance, Emperorship or anything like that to do a world conquest, they're just bonuses.
I am not saying savescumming is bad, each one play it's own game. It's just that I don't think that's a good example for anybody asking about World Conquest, I mean the OP definitely didn't ask if WC is possible with console, save scumming, or any other kind of cheating. Cause the answer for that is hell yes, anytime.

Well, on the other hand I may be presumptuous :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Edit: removed accidentally included quote.
I am not saying savescumming is bad, each one play it's own game. It's just that I don't think that's a good example for anybody asking about World Conquest, I mean the OP definitely didn't ask if WC is possible with console, save scumming, or any other kind of cheating. Cause the answer for that is hell yes, anytime.

Well, on the other hand I may be presumptuous :D
well, to very explicitly answer this, savescumming and exploits are necessary for crazy pre-1500 WC, but definitely not for WC generally.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've done a few WCs and IMHO most people at the start -- including myself -- get too wrapped up in idea group choices and not focused on fundamental mechanics of AE, being efficient with mana points, spawning institutions, properly engaging in warfare to conserve manpower (and the extra money it takes to reinforce), what buildings to build where and why, trade companies, managing absolutism, etc.

Once you've got a good foundation, the final boss of the WC is the mental load of simply managing everything and keeping up the pressure.

You get to a point where no one can hope to defeat you because you have massive armies, manpower and money -- BUT you've got four or five wars going, two or three at 100% waiting for the last war you peaced out to core up so you don't go to 200% overextension, those wars are spread out all over the globe, plus you are fighting multiple rebellions and ferrying troops to crappy little islands in the middle of nowhere and you are playing on speed 2 to keep track of everything.

I probably could have WC'ed several times before I managed my first (Sikh Mughals) but I just didn't have the will to keep my brain redlined for 3 more hours.

You do not need any dodgy mechanics or even save scumming to WC (you probably do if you want to do a pre-1550 WC). You can conquer the World as any nation whatsoever; however, let me suggest a few of the easier ones to start with:

* Ottomans -- this is currently the easiest. They have all the tools to snowball beyond the reach of any combination of AI controlled powers. Great government, best starting position, huge manpower, strong economy.

* Timurids -> Mughals -- this is second easiest because of their government and starting position.

* Aragon -- great mission tree, can form spain for a second good mission tree, can cripple their biggest threats early.

* Austria -- master the HRE and it will do all the work for you. Learn how to crush the reformation, grab the Burgundian Inheritance and unlimited power is yours.

* Oirat -- Hordes are the expert's choice for speed conquests. You have to be very solid with manpower and money management, but a strong horde, particular Oirat (Kazan is my favorite though) simply do not stop devouring the world.

• 4Like
Reactions:
My first WC was with Muscovy -> Russia. My second was with Austria (One Faith). I learnt more about the game in that first WC campaign than the 1000 hours I'd played before I started it. The reddit post linked above was very helpful for sure.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Once you've got a good foundation, the final boss of the WC is the mental load of simply managing everything and keeping up the pressure.

That's a very good way of briefly explaining why most players will fail a WC on their first few attempts. The mental burden when trying to conquer the entire map is significant and every slip can potentially cost you the run. When attempting to WC you learn that your most valuable in-game resource is time, and your most valuable irl resource is endurance.

Reactions:
Which is why I always recommend that players making their first WC attempt roll the game back to the earliest version they enjoy. The tedium of finishing the job when there's literally nothing interesting left to do is your biggest enemy. Every major patch and expansion until recently added more provinces--there are now about twice as many land provinces as there were at launch. Rolling back to a much earlier version means less boring grind and gives a higher chance of success.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You want do a 3 mountains achievement and you are not good ? You want take you time and dont overfocus on micro ?
Simple : Roll back in 1.20, there is no endgame. I did my achievement and I finish in 2100.

I spend 300 years protected by Ming. I transfert my capital in Americas. No colonial nation so. I conquiers most of tributary of Ming and new worlds nations.
Ming was finally kind of easy to defeat. Ottoblob was annoying because I need 5 or 6 wars before this nation collapse. Rest was easy.

You want do a 3 mountains achievement and you are not good ? You want take you time and dont overfocus on micro ?
Simple : Roll back in 1.20, there is no endgame. I did my achievement and I finish in 2100.

I spend 300 years protected by Ming. I transfert my capital in Americas. No colonial nation so. I conquiers most of tributary of Ming and new worlds nations.
Ming was finally kind of easy to defeat. Ottoblob was annoying because I need 5 or 6 wars before this nation collapse. Rest was easy.

That was a bug and it got patched on a hotfix. The 1.20 version on steam has said hotfix and there is no way of rolling back hotfixes.

That was a bug and it got patched on a hotfix. The 1.20 version on steam has said hotfix and there is no way of rolling back hotfixes.
And yet, I did far after the 1.20.

You have a 3 years post here explain he did it in 1.20.1 (you can access to this patch under steam) :

You also have a video explain how do it in 1.21 :