Workers not getting to work has no consequences!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nague

First Lieutenant
103 Badges
Aug 14, 2012
  • Cities in Motion
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Impire
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Please, for all that is holy, CO!
Update your simulation.

I tested a city where residental is disconnected from everything, its own island with no connections.

The workplaces still run great, as long as industrial can ship freight and commercial gets customers, nothing will abandon!
The workers that cant reach their workplace get the state "confused" and then stay home with no consequences to the workplace, they still work there.

I dont think thats any good, whats the point of city planning when people can stay home and everything still works?
There should be more consequences, please gove the simulation more substance, it will fell hollow in a few weeks otherwise, like when people discovered that sims in simcity 2013 have no permanent workplace or home.

This also means btw that bad traffic that kills commute times is of no consequence as long as your ambulances and freight can get to their destinations.

I think it's fine. The biggest problem in Sim City 4 was that everyone would would leave because the silly traffic simulator would make everyone unemployed with just some traffic.

Haven't tried your save game, but quickly created my own test -- seeing the same thing here: Ind and Res on separate land masses with no road connection and industry is growing, jobs are getting filled, etc.

Here is the savegame i used to test around:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406050100
I think its lame, i want to have an incentive to build my roadnetwork properly -.-

Well, if the road network is not proper, your industrial can't reach commerce, which means commercial demand and industrial will die. When that happens, residential demand dies down as well. But that's only the concept. Does it work like that in-game?

its not true, industry exports to the region, they dont need to deliver commercial.

The thing is, its actually hard to not connect workplaces to anything, but if you do manage to do it, the workers will happily stay home.
All the traffic except for fright is fake right now, it doesnt do anything and its of no consequence if traffic flows or gets stuck or cant even exist in the first place.
ONLY freight and ambulances etc need to reach destinations. People need not.

It also means that commute time (which i originally wanted to test) has no influence over anyxthing, it doesnt matter if people need 1 hour or 3 days to get to work.

Yeah i noticed the same. My bus network seems to be severely overused and i see a lot of disappearing citizens while waiting for the bus. On itself not a huge problem, although i'd like to add more busses to a network somehow, but that that has no consequences isn't an incentive to improve anything.

I'ts probably a difficult problem to fix, but i think it's not too much to ask to do something about it in the upcoming patches / DLC's because this seems a bit silly.

Yeah i noticed the same. My bus network seems to be severely overused and i see a lot of disappearing citizens while waiting for the bus. On itself not a huge problem, although i'd like to add more busses to a network somehow, but that that has no consequences isn't an incentive to improve anything.

I'ts probably a difficult problem to fix, but i think it's not too much to ask to do something about it in the upcoming patches / DLC's because this seems a bit silly.

i dont know what they are doing internally, but they do know the destination/workplace of each cim and they do know when it didnt reach it in time or at all.
Could easily do somthing with that.

I thibnk they might have intentionally not done anything because they didnt have faith in their traffic simulation, which by the way is pretty good.

This might affect the whole game actually. If your road networks are bad and they get stuck going to work it might plunge the city into debt quite easily.

Although I do agree, that if people teleport to work, what exactly is the point of roads?

While I certainly agree that roads should be more than cosmetic decorations, I do think we should be careful what we wish for here; otherwise, it might become more of a traffic simulator than a city simulator, kind of like Sim City 2013, and we most all know what fun that was. :cool:

Reactions:
What if CO should make it so that the hard mode actually needs the sims to go to work instead of stay at home internet work? We've seen some complaints about hard mode being easy this should make this really difficult since heavy traffic would mean less money.

Assuming both your residential and work areas are connected to the outside world, don't citizens simply drive along the highway to the work place?

They do. Residential areas don't have to be connected though. Also it would be nice if there would be a penalty / reward system for horrible / great infrastructure.

Need to be tested, I hope that is not true, cause it will kill the point of simulating a city.

Well, it's still something of a exploit to do. If you just connect everything up workers will try to get to work. There are just no consequences if they never get there. I think the industry or commercial area just has to get a status like bad traffic when people don't get there often enough, resulting in closure if not fixed. Though if that gets put it there should also be a possibility to see where the problem is for that particular place, which roads cause the trouble's. It might also just be a bug, though i have a feeling its designed this way for now. I hope it will be something on the agenda though. I know it's not a traffic simulator but i did hope traffic would have an impact on the performance of your city, and not just for ambulances and fire trucks.

I just ran a test where I had my residential zone connected to the highway and my industrial zone on a separate island and not connected to anything -- the industrial zone still developed and factories seemed mighty happy and not lacking in workers. A telecommuting paradise.

Incidentally, my residential and commercial also developed without a regional connection, as in buildings popped up within zoned areas, but they remained empty with the tooltip saying 0/whatever households. My guess is the game just checks whether anything at all is connected to the region and then starts populating the residential. Still odd to see the actual buildings pop up, albeit empty, without a regional connection.

Can't say I *really* followed development (though I pre-ordered the deluxe just to quote unquote support the devs), but I do remember CO saying they were using an agent based simulation -- the way industrial jobs get filled sure looks like a statistical model is being used, which does of course make the whole business with roads and traffic and overpasses kind of moot. Oh well.

cargo freight simulates properly and has dire consequences if it doesnt get delivered, so its weird that the worker commute has no consequences.
Cargo simulation shows that the game is equipped to handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.