Workers not getting to work has no consequences!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ran a test where I had my residential zone connected to the highway and my industrial zone on a separate island and not connected to anything -- the industrial zone still developed and factories seemed mighty happy and not lacking in workers. A telecommuting paradise.

Incidentally, my residential and commercial also developed without a regional connection, as in buildings popped up within zoned areas, but they remained empty with the tooltip saying 0/whatever households. My guess is the game just checks whether anything at all is connected to the region and then starts populating the residential. Still odd to see the actual buildings pop up, albeit empty, without a regional connection.

Can't say I *really* followed development (though I pre-ordered the deluxe just to quote unquote support the devs), but I do remember CO saying they were using an agent based simulation -- the way industrial jobs get filled sure looks like a statistical model is being used, which does of course make the whole business with roads and traffic and overpasses kind of moot. Oh well.

Well, building the residential area not connected isn't that much of a problem. Just pretend it's magical movers building stuff and people not moving in (if they were moving in that would be a problem). Industrial jobs do get filled and I'm going to assume through agent based as well. It's just that the workers either teleport or work from home.

Could be just a bug or a feature that makes the game easier to play and if that's the case I'd like to see it shoved into the harder modes.

Wait longer. Initial constructed businesses have start funds (like an investment). Initially they can run a business without workers, but eventually they will close shop. Trust me, when your businesses haven't had access to workers for a while, they close.

Perhaps the real issue is that the game is slow to react. It does react, but not straight away.

Wait longer. Initial constructed businesses have start funds (like an investment). Initially they can run a business without workers, but eventually they will close shop. Trust me, when your businesses haven't had access to workers for a while, they close.

Perhaps the real issue is that the game is slow to react. It does react, but not straight away.

That is a relief :), time to test that.

I should mention (as CO has), that distance doesn't really matter; people will find a job. However, they will likely choose the short routes, so jobs far away will be less prioritised than those close.

Moreover, part of the reaction to long commute times is traffic jams. If people cannot reach work, the game will react as if the business has no workers and then it will close shop.

Hang on, I thought CO had already made it clear that if traffic which can't get to somewhere cos of a jam, the Cims or the cargo will simply teleport the rest of the way. Are you sure that's not what is happening here? Cims "jump" across the gap and get to work anyway?

I had the experience described by Svip. I made the error of leaving a new industry super distant from any potential workers. While it did take several weeks, eventually those worker starved industries died off and I had to level the entire area and start again. I would guess, like he did, that it had to do with waiting the requisite period of time for the industrial collapse to occur?

I may also be misreading the problem icon and text is was presenting, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I did.

It's been a year with not roads connecting my industry and residential nothing has shut up shop. Industries still going fine. Commercial however, takes a few months (too long imo) to close because of not enough customers NOT workers. Workers still teleport/work from home.

Easy to exploit this, my city has no traffic, it's beautiful yet game breaking.

Hang on, I thought CO had already made it clear that if traffic which can't get to somewhere cos of a jam, the Cims or the cargo will simply teleport the rest of the way. Are you sure that's not what is happening here? Cims "jump" across the gap and get to work anyway?

But this completely jumping roads. If traffic problems were the case we'll be fine. But even with no roads connecting to residential they still get teleport, which is kinda ridiculous.

But this completely jumping roads. If traffic problems were the case we'll be fine. But even with no roads connecting to residential they still get teleport, which is kinda ridiculous.

Well, careful what we wish for. As far as I can see, we might be able to exploit this quirk to allow us to make pedestrian shopping malls.

Eventually after 3 years of continuous playing not just looking and waiting, the industry says that there's not enough buyers. Need to connect industrial and commercial. But I still don't think workers travel to work for the industrial area.

They aren't driving to work but you do know that people still walk?
That is how people look while getting to work in a fogy day
Bybyd88IAAADQ0w.jpg
To this office building
xlarge_2531.jpg

Are you sure they are working and not hired ?. I know that when you build a new house. It will say that they have people, but its not for a little bit later do the people arrive. Meaning that they could saying " We have 5 workers ). But they workers do not arrive until later if they have a way to get their. I could be wrong but it happens with houses, The house gets built. The smiley face is green, but its not considered occupied until people arrive by car

Now im wondering.. How are these factory workers of mine getting to work, They have to take the highaway to a one way street, Since I refuse to connect it because ill get highway traffic in a industrial zone lol. And I already got a system for that

It doesn't really bother me much... for all I know they're very active people that likes to run through the forest to get to work. :)
But if they can make it so a commercial/industry zone still need some sort of (pedestrian/vehicle) road connection for workers to get there, it would be more realistic.

Surely this issue only rears its head if you deliberately take advantage of the exploit by purposefully not connecting industrial/residential zones with the rest of your city.

If Svip is correct, about waiting longer, we're good I'd say. The fail-safe teleport out of traffic still worries me: you can solve your commuting problems by being really really crap at the game.... I don't like the sound of that!

I can't test any of this yet myself as I'm still awestruck and transfixed by the map editor; I think the whole of today will be spent in there, and the rest of the game is going to have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.