• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The simplest and most realistic way to have female court members influence the game more, IMO, would be though child care related events.

Very simple, really: Just assume all women in court help out to some degree in the upbring of all children in court, and that said interaction would naturally lead to the passing on of traits. For example, a spinster aunt with an "Ambitious" trait might pass that on to the Daimyo's young son.

Perhaps vary the odds of such an event occuring based on the degree of relationship, ie, a mother would have a greater chance to pass on a trait than a grandmother or aunt.

This would have a nice gameplay angle as well ... players would be encouraged to perhaps pack females with undesirable traits off to a monestary, to avoid being bad influences. Thus bringing that game feature into play more often.

The simplest and most realistic way to have female court members influence the game more, IMO, would be though child care related events.

Very simple, really: Just assume all women in court help out to some degree in the upbring of all children in court, and that said interaction would naturally lead to the passing on of traits. For example, a spinster aunt with an "Ambitious" trait might pass that on to the Daimyo's young son.

Perhaps vary the odds of such an event occuring based on the degree of relationship, ie, a mother would have a greater chance to pass on a trait than a grandmother or aunt.

This would have a nice gameplay angle as well ... players would be encouraged to perhaps pack females with undesirable traits off to a monestary, to avoid being bad influences. Thus bringing that game feature into play more often.

A very interesting and well thought idea. Quite realistic as well from what I gathered about courts in this period of Japan. I would like to add that aunts/grandmothers who are unmarried/widowed and/or without children are more likely to "meddle" then people who have children or a husband to keep them busy/in check.

Actually i really don`t like the wife bunuses. At all. Because you take an 0,0,0 ruler and turn it into a great(or above the average) in everything. This doesn`t feel right. If wooman is doing clanleader`s work who is going to birth/look/educate children? And should a ruller really like the much higher skilled wifes?
Being a figerhead, second-gested by wive is something even modern man doesn`t really like.

Neither is good for gameplay, cause ruler skills become irrelevant.

So I think there needs to be event were IF wife have much better skills than man, they should generally be dissatisfied of eachother.

Last edited:
Actually i really don`t like the wife bunuses. At all. Because you take an 0,0,0 ruler and turn it into a great(or above the average) in everything. This doesn`t feel right. If wooman is doing clanleader`s work who is going to birth/look/educate children? And should a ruller really like the much higher skilled wifes?
Being a figerhead, second-gested by wive is something even modern man doesn`t really like.

Neither is good for gameplay, cause ruler skills become irrelevant.

So I think there needs to be event were IF wife have much better skills than man, they should generally be dissatisfied of eachother.
I can agree that a wife giving a higher skill bonus than a husband actually has in that skill, it should give some kind of events. I do not agree that it is wrong to have wives that are more skilled than husbands. Keep in mind that the bonus is only half of the wife stats. I do not think it should directly affect relations. The events for this should be related to how you handle court situations where your wife has the right answers and you do not. For the most part I do not have rulers that have more than one stat low enough to have any marriage available women give him much of a bonus, let alone one that eclipses him. If you have had many rulers with stats that low, I feel for you. I have many hours in this game and played it through to the end over 20 times. It seems to me like lower ruler stats than the bonus from wives is a rare occurrence.

I'm reviving an old thread, but such is the case with this game now. :)

Recently I started playing Sengoku (vanilla patched to 1.4) and stumbled upon a lot of women characters who are actually worthless speaking in game terms. Check out the screenshot. There's a randomly generated woman character (one of many) in someone's court and she has no parents which means no father to arrange marriage for her. And since women can't be appointed to offices, such characters are of no use to anyone in the game (player or AI). My question is, why did Paradox implemented such feature ("useless characters")? What is their role apart from clogging up space in the character window? Or am I wrong and they can marry somehow?

Dunno. They're there, with good stats (does AI take that into consideration when choosing wives?) and unmarried. Recently I noticed that when I make my randomly generated courtier a vassal, he finds wives without problem and they also are generated without any relatives. So this probably means that generated men can marry generated women. If all AI characters are able to marry those and only the player isn't I would consider it cheating. Gotta look into it some more.