• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Opening Post

dragoon9105

General
78 Badges
Mar 14, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
SWqUZEf.jpg

So, Short Introduction Due to difficulties with House of Raven's Eu4 save unfortunately I will not be continuing with my norse megacampaign and have since started a new one. This one will have a bit more narrative focus, and to avoid burning myself out like I did in the Ck2 portion of HOR I will be getting creative with setting up Civil wars, Adventurers and such to make them more of a threat to myself, but also more interesting to write about.

This AAR will be following the Khitan, who historically went East and conquered Northern China, establishing the Liao and Kara Khitai dynasties. We will not be going East, following the tale of Xiao of the Khitan and her descendants through the centuries, and eventually, into space.

A Few Rules i'm keeping too:
1.Balkanization before and After conversion, probably Only I'll need it.
2.There will be use of the console to keep the AI sensible.
3.I've disabled province revolts, to reduce tedium, and to allow the Khitan to properly migrate so I don't have to conquer everything that moves (Vassal Khans prevent this)
4.More as I see fit to add or are suggested.

A Few Goals for the CK phase of the campaign
1. We must make our faith the dominant one in Europe whichever we choose.
2. I must take the Canaries and Iceland before the end, and have my final capital somewhere in continental Europe
3. There must be one emperor in Europe by the End. India, The Steppe and the Middle east are exempt from this.
4. Murder Every Karling I find
5. Get out of Nomadism, No Merchant Republic this time, I'm going feudal
6. Open and looking for recommendations and suggestions, but ultimately the choice is mine here

Chapter List
See Threadmarks​

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Prologue
Prologue: The Eagle and the Wolf
tumblr_oaqfd2p4141rv33k2o8_500.gif

Blood of the Fox was the only trace left from what Xiao had just seen. It had been a long hunt and he was tired and yet there was no mistaking what she had seen with her eye.

An Eagle, larger than a horse had taken her Fox and disappeared into the clouds. It was not her own, as Sky, her own eagle was resting comfortably in front of her, on the head of her horse. Xiao looked across the grasslands in every direction, she was alone as she expected. She dismounted and walked over to where the fox used to be.

The grass had been crushed only for a brief moment and had now regained it's shape. Fox Blood remained.

Thump

The sound came suddenly, loud enough to hear but soft, like a pile of fur's impacting the ground. Xiao turned to look to find the fox, crushed from a fall high in the air. She looked around again, and still none but her horse, her own eagle and the now setting sun.

"If you had both eyes, Perhaps you could see better" echoed from the grass around Xiao"

Once more Xiao looked around, only catching the red of her air as her head swung from left to right before it could keep pace. Her horse had noticed the sound as well and had begun to pull at Xiao clearly wishing to leave

"Who is there" she spoke, her hand tightening over her bow.

"Just the Wind"

As the words finished the sound of air, rushing past Xiao's ears was all she could hear. The Grass all flattened, blown down. Sky had taken to the air, and her horse pulled more violently, but what the grass revealed had given Xiao pause, else she would leave just as her eagle had.

A great red wolf, twice the size any Xiao had seen stood before her, silent, eyeing her and her horse. Stranger still about this beast was the wind did not so much as affect its fur, and it simply stood, unaffected by anything like a ghost.

"It has been difficult to speak with any of your people, So I had to enlist the aid of another, the Fox, and the Eagle, to bring you here before me"

"
What do you want" Xiao replied before she could think better of herself for talking to a wolf.

The Wolf didn't move, not even when it spoke, the words themselves seems to hang on the wind and come from all directions but front.

"In many suns time one called Abaoji will ride East into the lands of the Rising Sun, and build a Kingdom of Iron, This Kingdom will Fall and it's people sent East only to once more fall and drift away from memory"

"I do not know of this Abaoji" Xiao responded, having given up on her better instincts to run away

"He has not yet been born, and will not be until the world has earned three years"

"So why does this concern me?" Xiao lowered her bow, whatever this Animal, or Spirit wished it clearly wasn't harm.

It could be trying to trick her, in fact it almost certainly was, speaking of things that had not yet happened, and things that would happen. The Sun was gone, and the wolves eyes glowed a bright bluish white, a lesser woman, or man might have been intimidated, but Xiao had spent the last decade of her life struggling to become a leader in her clan, escaping kidnappers and now suitors who wished to find themselves in a position to become Khan when old Yelu died.

"You do not exist, in this world I have foretold, You do in this one, And in this world, We have given you a choice, To go West, Away from the Sun, and Bring a Greatness to your people that will last until the Stars themselves go dark"

West was the Gobi desert, Suicide. Now there was no doubt, the Wolf was lying and trying to trick her.

"I am not Khan nor can I be, I am a woman"

"We had not planned for this, Circumstance, But it does not matter, Before the Sun Rises Khan Yelu will have died, and you will bring the Hide of the Red Wolf to your Clan, They will see you as Khan, and in this your Attributes will not matter"

"
I am to kill you now?" Xiao chuckled.

"If you decide to traverse the Great Gobi, to Meet with the Khan in Karakorum for Protection until you travel far enough to reach those who call themselves the people of the plains, Together you will march into the Setting Sun.

Your people will pass the Great Mountains of Light, and the Great Deserts of the Moon, They will Cross the great blue lake and find themselves in the Land of the Two Wolves fought over by two eagles both bound to a cross

Only when your people have reached the land of the Absent Lion will they stop, for there is no land to continue, what happens beyond that, we cannot say, If you wish this fate, if you wish to become Khan, then yes, Bring this pelt to your people"

Xiao considered for a moment. Then let loose an arrow. If becoming Khan was to be her fate, she would not avoid it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
An interesting start to a new AAR. Will you be remaining Buddhist or converting to another religion (Nestorian Christianity, Manichaeism, Tengri paganism, and Islam all come to mind)?

Great start. Let's kill some Karlings!

Will destroying Byzantium be another goal for this megacampaign?

And thus we begin again. I'll miss your absurdly wealthy merchant republic, but this should be just as fun.

An interesting start to a new AAR. Will you be remaining Buddhist or converting to another religion (Nestorian Christianity, Manichaeism, Tengri paganism, and Islam all come to mind)?
Manichaeism (in form of Catar heresy) is already reserved by Hautevilles.I'll hope,that someone would unite Europe under Coptic faith,though.The prophecy contained words about the land of the Absent Lion ,which means that Khitans would conquer Ethiopia...and possibly embrace their faith.

Why do I find myself hoping some Karling survives somewhere just to spite you? :D

Chapter 1: Sand Steppe and Snow
Sands, Steppe and Snow
10657.jpg

The Year is 867 AD, The Karling Brothers Charles and Karloman squabble over what would become Western Europe, the Roman Empire is in crisis over Iconoclasm, the Umayyad Caliphate is once more rising to power and the Abbasid Caliphate is holding together by a shread. Yet this focus of this tale begins not among the great empires, but in the Distant Northeast, in the Lands of the Gobi Desert, where Xiao of the Khitai has brought her and several other clans of the Khitan west, across the desert and into the Land of the Mongols.

jWHRbaO.png

Xiao was an exceptionally talented Khan, and she would have to be, as she was a Woman and while the Khitan were more egalitarian than most steppe peoples, this was a strange occurrence. This was of course, strange times.​

TdlAsfg.jpg

With deft hand, Xiao had displaced and integrated the Mongol Peoples of Otoken into her Khitan and bent her knee to the Uyghur Khan for protection. The Khitan after all had no designs on the lands of the steppe, as their young Khan spoke of a promised land in the lands of the setting sun and across a great blue lake.​

9iKqNH4.png

To achieve this end Xiao assembled a council of generals and advisors by their capabilities first before family or birth. Both Mongol and Uyghurs as well as many minor steppe peoples interested in in moving west had joined the Khitan and so each were represented on the council.​

7uXvFQY.png

While Xiao would marry herself to another Clan leader before emigrating west, it was well known that a hunter by the name of Biegute had captured the Khan's Heart and was strongly suspected to be the true father of all of her children.

8Q37Le6.png

In hopes of gaining favor with the spirits who had sent the Khitan west, as well making a move for political expediency Xiao proclaimed that following the conquest of Gorgol, a great sacrifice would be offered up to the ancestors.

uc2ncAH.png

The few dissenting voices left within the Clan found themselves being named as honors to the Ancestors, as well as suspected spies and prisoners taken in the raids. The ancestors were silent, but benefits for such a sacrifice already had an inherent value of clearing the resistance towards further conquests in the west.​

PtYMWSW.png

The Khanty tribes of Yugra were Xiao's first real target. Exhausted from wars with the Turkic tribes to their south the Khitan were able to swiftly move in and subdue tribe after tribe with their horses. When the Yugra were finally able to give battle they were surrounded and shattered, as if Xiao had known the land better than the Yugra themselves.​

opr1rLN.png

Some suspected Khan Xiao might have been touched by the Wolfs, The Khanty especially grew to fear the Khitan and their leader whom they called the 'Shewolf' for her capability to navigate the wilderness with her armies attacking whenever she found weakness and then simply disappearing back into the wild.

kyZnDzW.png

Among the Khitan and Steppe peoples however Xiao had a different moniker, 'The Eastern Wind' for the conquests she had begun to made since arriving in the West. Nomadic tribesmen for the most part only kept to thier local communities in these areas, and had found the Khitan's organized leadership allowed them to sweep southwards from the Yugra.​

dATaMP1.jpg

By the time the Initial Khitan conquests had stopped Xiao and her generals had subjugated all of the inhabited lands up to the Urals, the first major barrier since the Gobi for the Khitan. The Khanty peoples subjugated under Xiao would join the Horde in it's path towards, wherever Xiao was bringing it, though with the sudden appearance of the Urals exactly where would be a mystery even for Xiao herself.​

GG8beFZ.png

The Legends say thus, that Xiao once more traveled into the wilds, where she had found a White Bear. The Spirit informed her that her path now lied south past Turkic plain, and into the Mountains of Light.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very much sounds like a person about whom legends will be written.

Well, she's certainly an interesting figure. I wonder how she'll be remembered centuries from now...

Oh; I didn't realize that they converted to Manichaeism in that AAR.
I'm not sure they did. I just assumed he was referring to hjarg's AAR, as I don't know any other Hauteville AAR as popular as his.

Definitely looking forward to megacampaign 2, electric boogaloo

Oh; I didn't realize that they converted to Manichaeism in that AAR.

I'm not sure they did. I just assumed he was referring to hjarg's AAR, as I don't know any other Hauteville AAR as popular as his.
Catarism is a late form of Manichaeism,just slightly more Christian,because center of this heresy was in France,not in Persia.But main postulates (two Gods(good and evil),redeeming through poverty,etc.) are same.
P.S.:hjarg mentioned,that in late phase of CKII Hautevilles converted to Catar heresy,which later caused rise of atheism and,eventually,materialist ethics of Empire in Stellaris.

A powerful woman leading her people to victory after victory, a supposed shewolf, the Eastern Wind... Her legacy is starting off strong.