With the new year aproxing and Ebba gone, what chances of I:R coming back?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cristofolmc

Banned
32 Badges
Mar 5, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Well the title says it all really. You think now Frederik has come back as a CEO and with 2022 (the date they said they might come back) aproxing, do you think ther is any chance they will give this another go?

• 9Like
Reactions:
Possible yes, but I think it's fair to say unlikely. The only new content we'll see is through community mods.

• 2Like
Reactions:
With Vic3 combat being abstracted to front lines, I:R may get a revival as an old school GSG game for die-hards.

I think every game has to differentiate from the others besides the historical period. I:R requires more development to make it interesting and different from EUIV and CK3.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
Reactions:
  • 7Haha
Reactions:
I would be pleasantly surprised and it's not impossible. But I don't expect it to happen.

Paradox is a business and they do the actions they belive will lead to the most return for their money, i don't have to like it but i understand it.

Schrödingers game.

Reactions:
I hope at least they fix the leftover bugs as a final fan/customer appreciation gesture. That would also be a pleasant surprise, though.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I wouldn't be surprised if they would work together with the invictus devs to put some of that content in the game officialy, that is the most likely scenario for new content coming to the game i think

• 2Like
  • 2Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Well the official reason they gave is staff shortage. It might have been bull**** (probably), but if it was true, and by 2022 the have managed to recruite enough people, who knows?

Reactions:
I hope at least they fix the leftover bugs as a final fan/customer appreciation gesture. That would also be a pleasant surprise, though.
I do not expect more than this. Unfortunately. But maybe Arheo have a wish free when No step back is a success and he comes back to Imperator <3

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, they have added over 100 new employees in this quarter, I hope some are already learning about I:R.

I do not think PDX will become a behemont company. They are chasing unicorns with 15 new games in development but I believe their long term success (*) is to tend their core games, and I:R is one of them.

(*) releasing a new game is risky and they have had a lucky strike with some games the past years. However, extrapolating the same rate of success moving forward is naive.

The last quarterly report for reference:

• 1Like
Reactions:
I do not expect more than this. Unfortunately. But maybe Arheo have a wish free when No step back is a success and he comes back to Imperator <3
One can dream, but it more likely that he will stay with the HoI4 team permanently (even more if N.S.B. is a sucess) - just imagine what Arheo could do e.g. about the dreaded peace conferences in HoI4 with the IR background. You can't copy 1:1 of course, but I'm convinced that reworked variant of what we have in IR would fit. You already have the basics (taking territory, releasing tags, liberating puppets or puppeting the opponent itself) - just add some more items (like regime change) and make -depending on their contribution- certain concessions to the partners in your coalition mandatory (those could be choosen out of a "wishlist" your allies make towards you)

Reactions:
Well, if they don't, at the moment, it's VERY likely won't get any more pennies from me in the future, since I don't appreciate a game-breaking bug being left in, thirty hours of my time being wasted and nothing being done about it.

There is a financial cost to NOT fixing it, too, because it will lose them future custom; though I suspect it's one they will ignore.

(As coasting on people Being Angry On Social Media but then forgetting about it later when a new toy comes along seems to be general corporate standard these days; relying on consumer apathy (or enough people who don't care if it doesn't affect them personally) to keep the boat sailing on (until they push it too far). I had thought PDX was better than that, but it seems they seem to be heading a little towards that too. I'm not surprised, though, not really; the world in general is an increasingly horrible place, why should anywhere be different?)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, they have added over 100 new employees in this quarter, I hope some are already learning about I:R.

I do not think PDX will become a behemont company. They are chasing unicorns with 15 new games in development but I believe their long term success (*) is to tend their core games, and I:R is one of them.

(*) releasing a new game is risky and they have had a lucky strike with some games the past years. However, extrapolating the same rate of success moving forward is naive.

The last quarterly report for reference:

They don't even talk about an imperator.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I would be pleasantly surprised and it's not impossible. But I don't expect it to happen.

Paradox is a business and they do the actions they belive will lead to the most return for their money, i don't have to like it but i understand it.

Schrödingers game.
As I stopped buying any content from Paradox and stopped recommending their games to friends they will not get any return on their money from me anymore. Trust of the clients also brings money, mistrust drives clients away.

As I stopped buying any content from Paradox and stopped recommending their games to friends they will not get any return on their money from me anymore. Trust of the clients also brings money, mistrust drives clients away.
I apply this on a case by case basis. When they support a game that flopped and listen to community feedback AND apply it in their updates, I support this practice by purchasing. Which is what happened to IR and I'm hoping to encourage paradox by doing this to do more of this.

Reactions:
With Vic3 combat being abstracted to front lines, I:R may get a revival as an old school GSG game for die-hards.

I think every game has to differentiate from the others besides the historical period. I:R requires more development to make it interesting and different from EUIV and CK3.
As reminder, the predecessor for this game is titled, "Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition" (and a Vae Victus edition but that's a long story). This game is EU:Rome 3rd Edition, so arguably the core gaming metrics should have some resemblance to the EU series (which it does, to a point). Not that all of EU4 should have been the model, but if one of PDX's games would be viewed as "Primary" reference for I:R, it would be the EU series of games.

Reactions: