• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
cthulhu said:
Because he is a young and naive seventeen-year-old who's going to war.

They where also naive 17 years old :) Not only fanatic nazi's. I think the percentage fanatic nazi's, even in the SS, was very low. And what I told about thier reasons for signing up was accurate. Especially during the time the war went well there where a lot adventurers and others whom escaped something (prison, hunger, poverty).
The last thing I wrote of the guys being dismissed was certainly true in the volunteer brigade 'Nederland' but probably also in 'Westland' as this was a year earlier. At this time Berger made dimands like a specific height and ethnicity. Later in the war anybody was allowed and even forced to join.

A curious fact FYI. There was even a small detachment of English soldiers in the SS. I do not believ it ever accomodated more then a few dozen men and they where never used in combat. Their leader was executed for high treason after the war.
http://www.feldgrau.com/gb.html

Middelkerke said:
nice start.

If im not wrong 1/3 of the SS where nazi's... .

Btw we don't speak Flemisch we speak Dutch. officially :rofl:

You call that dutch? you change all kinds of words.. ;)

Nice AAR btw hope to see more of ur conquest in Europe, sry if i missed it but what scenario r u playin?

Singleton Mosby said:
Well you are a bit right. The 'abteilung' was no part of "wiking' but of SS-division Nordland. But, there where Swedes in the ranks of Wiking. I will alter the former text a bit.

the bottom line is that no one really knows how many of each foreign country served in the German military in WW2. to many records were lost, altered, forged, and just plain incorrectly made...

that said, nothing about the AAR will be considered to be reality, so just play the game, write the AAR, and let us readers enjoy it! :D

Thanks for the interest and the comments.

Indeed nothing I write is real and only based upon some 'facts' of the real division. The scenario I play is the 1939 Blitzkrieg one. I have got Poland within a week and then moved upon France and the Low coutnries in January 1940.

After that I moved into Yugoslavia in March and tried to get into NOrhtern Africa when the Italians screwed it.
On the 11 of June my troops stood ready on the border of Russia......Kiev would fall within a week.

Interesting and very well written begining! I sure hope that kid gets to Moscow or even beyond!

Just out of curiosity...you are playing 1939 scenario with Germany. Is it maybe modded with HSR (as I recall that mod gives you armoured divisions with SS attachment called Wiking, once you capture Norway). Moreover, did you follow hisorical path or not (alliances, conquests, OOB in N. Africa,...)?

Spricar said:
Just out of curiosity...you are playing 1941 scenario with Germany, aren't you?

Singleton Mosby said:
Indeed nothing I write is real and only based upon some 'facts' of the real division. The scenario I play is the 1939 Blitzkrieg one.

What he said :rolleyes: :D

Spricar said:
Interesting and very well written begining! I sure hope that kid gets to Moscow or even beyond!

Just out of curiosity...you are playing 1939 scenario with Germany. Is it maybe modded with HSR (as I recall that mod gives you armoured divisions with SS attachment called Wiking, once you capture Norway). Moreover, did you follow hisorical path or not (alliances, conquests, OOB in N. Africa,...)?

It is not modded whatsoever. The only thing I did is rename a Motorised division SS-division 'Wiking'.

On the historical path, see above. A bit but not completely. I did not invade Greece and Crete but I have an alliance with the Slovaks, Hungarians, and Rumanians (also the Italians and Japs) and those (but not the Bulgarians) will fight on the Southern front. "Wiking" and Sepp Dietrich will be in the midst of them.

Singleton Mosby said:
It is not modded whatsoever. The only thing I did is rename a Motorised division SS-division 'Wiking'.

On the historical path, see above. A bit but not completely. I did not invade Greece and Crete but I have an alliance with the Slovaks, Hungarians, and Rumanians (also the Italians and Japs) and those (but not the Bulgarians) will fight on the Southern front. "Wiking" and Sepp Dietrich will be in the midst of them.

hm...being allied with Japan means you'll have to take Vladivostok for bitter peace. Not an easy task indeed.

c11p34ar.jpg

Mission Kiev

wikcuff.jpg

War had been declared on the 11th of June. At four in the morning the first bombs where thrown by Stuka’s. Minutes later the enemies artillery positions where bombed by shells from all across the line. Over a 1000 kilometre line, from the black sea to the Baltic German troops surged forwards. In the first hours of the eleventh the red armies broke on all fronts. In Moldavia, to the south of Odessa, our Rumanian allies and Mansteins panzers broke trough. In the centre two powerful armies crashed trough the Bolshevik lines. The southern force included Bulgarians, Slovaks and Sepp Dietrichs 1st and 2nd SS-Panzer divisions, our brothers in arms. All of Europe, all Germans where on the move ready to crush the Bolshevik threat. Yet in those first days the superiority of the SS troops over all others was obvious when Dietrichs troops halted almost 150 kilometres from their starting line after only 48 hours of war. More to the north Riga an attack on Riga struck home. The first days of the war where a startling success and the word Blitzkrieg regained a new meaning.

worldevents_0101.jpg

Our regiment, ‘Westland’ was finally to become a part of the division when we arrived at Kozienice. Here, more then 20,000 soldiers where encamped when we set out on the 15th of June, only four days after the war had started. Crossing the river Bug on the 17th we saw the first ‘victims’ of war. Burned out Boshevik trucks and armoured cars. Blown up guns and emplacements. Not much later our column passed a large group of Red prisoners, guarded by some grinning soldiers of the army. You could read ‘victory’ from their faces. When we had travelled two days trough the expanses of Ukrain, the new grain basket of Germany we knew for sure this war would be won. The roads on which we drove where only mud and it was told this where the main roads throughout Russia. The farms and houses where old and ramshackle, the fields badly tended. In all the Ukrain looked like Germany in the middle ages. Whenever we moved trough towns the soldiers looked at the concrete apartment buildings left and right. “They live in bunkers but aren’t even good soldiers.” Was one of the remark heard often.

On the 17th we heard our goal would be Kiev. The major city along the river Dnjepr. An assault would be made soon and we would be part of it. We would reach the front within two days.

Last edited:
Riviting stuff. :)

150 km in 48 hrs? While attacking on muddy roads? Thats...150...carry the two..minus seven...that's flooring it!

deadmancomand said:
150 km in 48 hrs? While attacking on muddy roads? Thats...150...carry the two..minus seven...that's flooring it!

Ain't it a little over three kilometers an hour? Not that much for tanks, trucks and halftracks I suppose. I can do it walking....:)

Ruddy interesting. good form.

german_troops_on_the_move.jpg

Our baptism of fire

wikcuff.jpg

Next day we crossed the famous Stalin line just an hour east of the city of Korosten. It would only be a day before we would reach Kiev and in the far distance we could hear low monotonous rumbling. The impact of shells was reverberating across the plains of the Djnepr. The landscape around us was desolate. Here and there small fires still burned. Two days ago the fighting had started, retreating Bosheviks had held onto this line, although troughly prepared, for no more then a few hours. In the background, on a blackened field lumps could be seen. We knew it where dead soldiers although we did not think it where Germans. All fallen German soldiers should have been buried like the heroes they where.

aox.jpg

And so we moved on, trough the rear of the Stalin line towards the rumbling of cannon. Four hours later we travelled trough a forest, ‘the forest of death’ we would call it for the coming weeks. Our long column of trucks and a few panzers drove over a small, almost ploughed dirt road. Trees and darkness between them on both sides.
A muffled crack and a scream was all I heard. I the truck right in front of us a soldier fell from his wooden bench clutching his chest. The raw soldiers besides him screamed, jumped up and made the truck swing from side to side as the scrambled for their rifles. Our co-driver jumped up from his seat in the front cabin and dragged the heavy spandau machine-gun to the left. Then he primed it with a quick move at the same moment hell broke loose. The forest on both sides of us exploded in an inferno of fire. Bullets struck the trucks in front of us and officers and sergeant yelled: “Ambush, we are ambushed. “Return fire now.” “Get out take cover!” Our baptism of fire was a fact and nothing resembled the clear and disciplined exercises during training anymore. Chaos was all around and I felt the fear gripping my throat. Then a explosion lifted the truck in front of us up and smashed it down on its side. Most of the men riding it got out and scrambled toward a ditch where they where greeted by a hail of bullets. The spandau threw its lead into the dark forest and more bullets where shot at running shadows. As most of the others in our truck I got out and fell with my face in the dust, rifle underneath my belly. Below our truck the supposed cover was crammed and a few partisan bullets found their mark. The soldier with whom I had been taking only a minute ago died in front of me.
I gathered all courage inside me and jumped up, running towards and alongside the cabin of our truck I threw myself with my back against the truck which had been smashed onto its side. A white hand was smashed between the heavy boarding at my feet. Slowly some of the men where getting grips on themselves, I was one of them and fired a few rounds into the woods as a bottle landed metres in front of me, exploding into a ball of fire. As soon as all had started it was over. A dozen of our men ran towards the trees, shouting encouragements and firing away. Two death partisans, one of them a young black haired woman where peppered with bullets by red faced soldiers standing besides them. “Hold your fire, they are death already.” An officer shouted at them.
We had had our first fight. For the first time we had been at the receiving side of fire and we had suffered our first casualties. The severity of the fight, in the eyes of us, raw soldiers was extreme. But the casualties where relatively light. Of our truck three men had been wounded, one died. Of the truck in front of that seven had been wounded and four died, including the driver. Then there where four other deaths from outside our company and half a dozen wounded. In the woods and on both side we found seven death partisans, two of them women.

Right away the discussions started on partisans. We had not expected them in this part of Russia as we where greeted with smiles in every village. They had even given us pies and fruit although they had nothing themselves. But clearly not everyone in the Ukrain felt liberated. Our war had begun.

Last edited:
Singleton Mosby said:
Ain't it a little over three kilometers an hour? Not that much for tanks, trucks and halftracks I suppose. I can do it walking....:)

Well, that's assuming you do nothing but drive. Even while fighting, sleeping, fueling up, repairing, etc.

But a [retty good scene there, I liked it.

This is a very interesting story, and it is cool to see the story of the game through the eyes of just one man in one division. I like this story, keep up the good work :)