• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Liberty_Valance

AKA Wolfie
19 Badges
Jul 10, 2018
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
Hopper_unit.PNG

Goal: To take the humble hopper (probably the worst unit in the game), and make them the most fun to fight and play with. Like the Colonial Guard they will be using alot of stereotype features to roleplay all your favorite movies and games.

This is a very early overview of the mod that will keep me busy no doubt for the next few months, this is just some initial concepts (partly for my gold fish memory) but also for those who may be interested.

Note: The hoppers although are another insectoid type race, should only share some kirko cosmetics, the rest should be completely overhauled.

Key features:
- Ultimate Swarm race, building a single core unit will count as x2 on the tactical map. So a stack of 6 will deply 12 units on the battlefield. In a later doctrine this will be increased by +1.
This will be using the voidtech clone feature as well as the colonial guard spawn at the start of combat feature.

- Negative start relations to other races -400 (not your own). The Hopper race will have a massive advantage over other races with superior numbers making site clearing a breeze, they are fast and cheap being able to (zerg rush) overwhelm less prepared races, and the more at war they gain, will bring more benefits. Players opposing the Hoppers should use the diplomacy disadvantage against them, uniting to purge the hoppers before resuming their own agendas.

- Powerful heroes, think hive tyrants from DOW2, the Hopper heroes will stand a foot taller on the battlefield, with the inherit trait of large target, juggernaut and of course being able to leap decent distances on the battlefield, Making them devastating in close combat.

-Use of 'markers and objects' terrain on both strategic and tactical map. Hoppers will have a climate they fight better and gain defensive advantages in, being able to spread it in combat though units and operations.

- Climates - Hoppers prefer hot and jungle type terrains and dislikes cold or volcanic.

- Passive abilities, certain units will be able to have a second ability that activates every turn (without player input), eg tier 3 general type unit will have a radial pulse, extending their aura that speeds up nearby hoppers, a bombard type unit will fire a weak mortar at a random nearby each round.

- Weapon types, to avoid any overlap with kirko they wont be using physonic or biochemical weapon groups. They may just have a mono channel of kinetic and extend their racial tech tree.

- Designed to have a bit of dark humor, while writing unit descriptions is a drag, at this stage it is intended. But this could quickly change.

- Use of wild local hoppers and dwelling, alternate city operations (will see if this is possible)

That about covers it, here is some early hero designs (a bit will change from the final)

Male version
Hopper2.PNG

Alt male head sporting hair style.
hair1.PNG

Female - Has mandibles, head has a solid plate rather than spikes, looks more bad ass in general. Ideally id like the fems bigger with alt abilities but i dont think its possible,
female1.PNG

fem3.PNG

Thats about it for now!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Some early unit designs and break down of abilities

HOUND
Hounds will count as X2 and highly easily accessible through through a variety of ways including early operations summons and late game through unit summons and mods. The later unit Queen will spawn with two hopper hounds as well as able to produce eggs in war.
Hound.PNG

BROOD WARRIOR
Brood Warriors will be the default unit for potential mounts and range weapons, this unit is will serve a number of roles
Brood Warrior.PNG

SCYTHED SISTER
A mid game unit that works similar to the vanguard Valkyrie able to launch into combat and protect nearby swarm allies
Scythed Sister.PNG

MANIACAL
This unit serve as a support, being able to control low tier enemies from a large distance, they will also will have a global ability 'Mad Swarm' Sending all low tier hoppers uncontrollable but boosting damage/speed and immune to mind control for 3 turns
Maniacal1.PNG

ALLIES
Hoppers will have access to a small line of qaurtzites and mods (using the secondary faction colours)

Crystal bug.PNG

crystal Giant.PNG

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Yep! Its mostly still in design phase but the concept seems strong enough. I'll have more detail on the play through in the coming week, but basically these guys are designed to fill that role of a real Xenomorphic threat. Hoppers will in theory even with the AI calculations be able to outnumber other races 2 to 1 , start with a negative relations to other races called something like "Hopper Infestation fear" Hoppers will be able to do just that spread quickly and amass large numbers. Their weakness will be in weaker and limited range units. But details are still being ironed out.

Below shows early test of a much larger hero, the hopper heroes start with juggernaut, large target and extra health. Their hero skills will be focusing on strength and buffing their lesser brethren, being able to have a passive radial heal to allies and gain more perks if they are hoppers. Also late being able to have two hopper hounds start with them at the start of combat.

hopper_Race.PNG

hopper2.PNG

Early infestation!
15/06/2020

So been a fair bit of progress since last update but now onto more fleshing out the race, most visuals are done and early setup, such as unit spawns, city operations, general nuts and bolts.

Here are some general, unit Colour examples: Faction colours not only determine your hero but your whole hive, with secondary colours on key units such a qaurtz allies
hopperScreenshots3.PNG

hopperScreenshots2.PNG

hopperScreenshots.PNG

Yes they look cool in black but also in white too!
enviscerator.PNG

City setup and the visuals was also important, the cities were to look like infestations, for the hopper player to spread and other players to destroy.

city6.PNG

city visuals2.PNG

As you can see above experimentation on what works for this species (abilities wise is on the way) looking at what thematically looks good and plays good too. Above is using the void tech ability to clone but unfortunalty that big blue line is hard coded so will be going about this unit an alternate way.

This could be in this phase for some time to ensure the Hoppers have a good mix of units that don't overlap with existing play-styles.
Hopper_Poster.png

Fist up is revisiting the Hopper Hound, it has been change to hound apha, it will be tankier and larger, and start combat by spawning a leser hound unit, on gaining ranks it will be able to start with a second hopper subordinate. On its final rank it will be able to passively buff subordinate hoppers and also imprint wild hoppers to their side. With mid game mods this unit will be able to have a total of 3 subordinates. Making it a fearsome and deadly first starting unit, that gains more value with experience and mods.
Alpha.PNG

Some updates to the general overview
* Weapon groups - Bio and Kinetic, these make the most sense for the hoppers with brute strength and bio for chemicals/gene splicing/living weapons etc.
* Cheaper overall: The push the infestation play style, future doctrines will probably include, the more hopper cities the quicker the production. Gaining more passive influence the more at war with factions and races, Bonuses to annexing dwellings.
* Early summons of both alphas and spotters

Once i have this unit done and a few others i should have more info then, cheers!

Core Units
26/06/2020

Here are some of the unit outlays i wont go into heavy detail but should give a good overview of what the Hoppers can do. So to jump right into it. Just a note descriptions and some abilities need to be tweaked.

Alphas:
Alphas are probably the key unit for the whole hopper race they are the meat, the Hopper alpha spawns two subordinates in combat that auto rush towards the enemy.
The alpha alos has pheromones that buff lower subordinates in combat and on reaching gold can screech at an enemy.
1.PNG

Brood Warriors
Brood warriors may get something else at a later stage but work as the hoppers only few range units. The damage is decent with giving poison and lowering armour.
4.PNG

Qaudleg Riders
They work as an additional front line shock trooper able to charge enemy lines, heal on defense as well as a gunk shot for air protection
2.PNG

Disservers
Are one of the most deadly units in the hopper arsenal, the ambush leap does not trigger over watch and on kill gain 'blood onslaught' healing and giving additional movement.
6.PNG

Defiler
This unit stalks the battlefield and picks off stragglers with sleep and able to impregnate enemies. It also starts the battle with spermatic cells that aromatically go to the nearest ally, giving a high morale and a healing bonus
5.PNG

Prodigy
Another deadly unit the prodigy draws in enemies with its deadlights and then flies down for the feast. It also has ensnaring gaze that causes nearby enemies more likely to fumble

3.PNG

Hive Queen
Everything you could want from a queen she eats and lays and makes babies, she will also have a stack bonus .
7.PNG

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
looks fun!

i wonder what mechanic you will implement to make them original to play. (doctrine, spells,...)

their turret could be eggs that spawn hoppers every few turns instead of some ranged gun turret.
but i don't know if it is possible to create AI controlled unit while in battle which are allied to you.

In regards to defense. It is possible, with some limitations. I actually that thought about this, when you kick an ants next they swarm out of their barrows to defend their colony. And as this race is primarily melee based i think it would be better for them to defend by being on the offense. Having 'Hive Guards' probably just an alternate version of the alpha that rush out to defend your hive. They could be AI controlled with different markings.

I do have some ideas on mods, spells and doctrine but will be a bit of experimenting. Ones im encouraging will be gaining influence with war and less with peace, to encourage hopper players to be at war with as many races to get a better income. They will also have a doctrine to reduce the price of forward bases. The other thing is to give the colony unit wings, for them to strategically place new bases.

The other thing will be each doctrone will have a negative impact particularly around diplomacy and cooperation. For example quick expansion with a decrease cost in say colonizers and forward bases will increase converting enemy populations (as they will be more reluctant to join you)

05/07/2020

Alot done, but a lot more to do

So an early version of the Hoppers will be ready for testing in 3 or so weeks, alot has been done including class units abilities, doctrines and the techtree is mostly setup for the units to go in.
voitech.PNG
hacker.PNG

Things to aim to be completed before release, overall this is pretty minor compared to what has been done:
- Convert, migrate and colonize is to be checked
- A few AI leaders and ensure they are working
- Leader load out (just kirko for now) and at least 2 mounts (for now)
- 3 mods (will be expanded) Leeching gain drain on enemy bleeds, Qaurtzite mod and shoulder cannon
- 3 Class abilities for Hopper leaders
- fix turrets to hopper versions
- change entrance ship

Now now hoppers have Firearm but this weapon damage change to kinetic or slashing later.

starting.PNG

Here is a rough draft of the tech tree
techtree.PNG

doctrinePNG.PNG

This seems REALLY freaking cool.

I cannot wait to watch the AI utterly fumble with them as Bombardon's tended by indentured Biomancers blast them into oblivion! /jk

Seriously though, full on hard swarm seems cool.

God I thought your colonial guard mod was amazing but THIS!
This takes the cake. It's like a mix of the Bugs from Starship Troopers mixed with the Tyranids/Zerg. I love it. Just love it!

@Icezera
Cheers mate, theres certainly more in the pipeline but alot of the future stuff is pretty fiddly so i thought id release the core of it for now

10/07/2020
Road map ahead:

*Changed weapon group to Arc (this was going to be kinetic), arc works better it only works on Qaurtzite units but with thier future mods and operations this will further make them viable in the Hopper arsenal

*More mods, currently their are no unit mod but their are some planned, (this will incorporate some of the kinetic that was planned.)
Some of the below are already in
- Change to Biochemical or Arc (allowing qaurtzites, beetles and hoppers to use both weapon groups
- Leecher will gain drain on enemy bleed
- Shoulder Spore Cannon (an auto cannon that fires a weak weapon every round)
- Eat corpse - eating a dead enemy will give health and regeneration for X amount of turns
- Gene Stealing for every enemy killed gain +1 health perminatly

*Currently the Seiger is using the Bombardian weapons it will again its own but testing how it will work will take some time, same with the water unit.

*Wild Allies tree will be further fleshed out allowing for beetle spawns in combat as well as more unique features that support Qaurtzite and Beetles

* A new air unit and mount will be added to the Gnat Cloud Tech tree

* Facial warpaints and decoration such as bloody mouths will be added to leader customization and updated tot he heroes

*Heroes and new vanilla Leaders will be added with unique names (currently using Kirko ones) once mods and some of the above tasks are done.

Above is the next stage as well as any changes suggested by the community but more advance stuff will follow once the above is done.

Some of the future stuff will be
- Queens in cities will unlock unique features
- Terrain manipulation giving hoppers advantages on the battlefield using objects and markers

Beast Updates -16/07/2020

Whats doen from the above list
*More mods
*Heroes and new vanilla Leaders
*Changed weapon group to Arc

As well with a majority of the bugs sorted its onto fleshing out the final 3 units of the Hoppers

First up is the new air unit and mount the Tarragon, Gnat Cloud addition. I'll be blunt it will work exactly how you would expect an alien dragon would work, it breaths a type of fire and it swoops and bites.
Future.PNG

The other existing units that will be updated is the Desiccator and the Besieger. The Desiccator will be able to drain movements from its enemies and will be a brute in the ocean with limited air support. The Beseiger will be able to fire at a random enemy each round causing suppression 'slow and low morale' unlike classic seige weapons it will still be able to move forward and bite while enemies are weakened.

Disiccator.PNGBeseiger.PNG

Also hopefully int he coming update their will be a new late game operation to spawn a feral hopper nest on the strategic map, this will be heavily tested if its possible for any guarantees.

Thats pretty much it for now this will keep me busy for some time. After this is done and and while the above will be heaps of fun i'm most looking forward to the Qaurtzite and Big Beetle update thats probably a month or so away.

That tech line I'm thinking will work like this:
Primal Awakening - Unlocks Qaurtzlite Allies (Gives unit, weapon load-out, mod that leaders use to buff qaurtzites) -Beetle Allies (Gives mod, Operation - summon stag baby's in combat , unlocks unit) - Unlocks Large Qaurtzite Allies (Gives unit, operation that charges Qaurtzites in combat) - Unlocks Mega Beetle Allies - (Mod - Mega Beetle follower, Unlocks in city) - Crytal Worm allies (New unit, Weapon load-out, city operation giving a small trickle of cosmite at the expense of energy)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I guess i kinda have in some ways, there's the human and the bugs! I was going to add planets in empire mode with both races and unlocks but lost a bit of heart to it when i realised its locked behind single player