• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how're spells going to work with the new dueling system on its way?

Not part of the team, but here's what I think: Since the new duel system seems to be based around 'combat moves', the easiest way would probably be having it so that knowing certain spells also unlocks new moves. Of course, this would mean making every mage into a battlemage to a degree unless you block out the normal combat moves entirely. Maybe there could just be a personal button to switch for that so both is possible, pure mage who never swings a weapon and battlemage.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hmmm, not a fan of Nords following the regular old Eight Divines faith. I know that's what ESO portrays, but frankly it's uninteresting and should be ignored IMO. Giving them a unique faith would be a lot more fun and would make the Nords a lot more unique, and besides I don't think it's ever made clear when exactly the switch existed, even in Bloodmoon if I recall there is some reference to the old nord faith(though it's just what they believe, the concept of it being ancient and not current wasn't around yet). Maybe parts of skyrim could be Eight Divines, but the Old Holds at least should have their own faith(though TBH I'd advocate for all of Skyrim being the OG nord faith but that could be a compromise).

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hmmm, not a fan of Nords following the regular old Eight Divines faith. I know that's what ESO portrays, but frankly it's uninteresting and should be ignored IMO. Giving them a unique faith would be a lot more fun and would make the Nords a lot more unique, and besides I don't think it's ever made clear when exactly the switch existed, even in Bloodmoon if I recall there is some reference to the old nord faith(though it's just what they believe, the concept of it being ancient and not current wasn't around yet). Maybe parts of skyrim could be Eight Divines, but the Old Holds at least should have their own faith(though TBH I'd advocate for all of Skyrim being the OG nord faith but that could be a compromise).
It's not ESO that established early imperial faith involvement in Skyrim. In fact it was in the middle 1E 300s when the last nord High King of Ysgramor's Line, Borgas, outlawed the original nordic gods in favor of the Alessian Doctrine. Although that was shortlived (a few decades) it was the start of imperial influence over the Nords. The Alessian Empire later conquered parts of southern Skyrim in the 1E 400s. And Skyrim later became a province of the Second Empire, getting even more imperial influence.

Thus the Nords in EK2 do follow a faith in the Eight Divines Religion - but it's still their own faith. The "Nord Pantheon" unifies both Eight Divines and ancient Nord practises, with the Gods having their nordic names, Shor being included in the Pantheon and Kyne being their High Godess.
They don't follow the Eight Divines nor the ancient Nordic Gods exclusively.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The Nord Pantheon *is* the compromise. That's why the old 8D faith has been broken up, to represent each regional branch of it. The Bretons have their Elven elements, the Nords still revere some of their old gods, and the Redguard keep their Yokudan traditions.

Reactions:
Can't wait for that one, especially for the Reachmen content

It would be nice if there would be an option for theocratic-matriarchal government type, with covens, hagravens etc.

Another thing would be some kind of penalty/higher cost for increasing crown authority in other kind of government, not dedicated to the Reachmen

Maybe some silver&gold deposits events, adapting some of Aedra into panteon, or flavoring feasts&hunting activities?

Things like briarheart rituals sound obvious, but gravesinging stuff and other "hedge magic" options dedicated especially to Reachmen would be nice idea, a lot of potential here, athough it's difficult to estimate things like that on that stage.

Congrats guys, and keep it just like that. Big thanks from my side for job you're doing

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
DD - Flavour Carousel
Hello everyone, and welcome to another Elder Kings 2 dev diary!

Today we won't show any new big defining feature, but we'll rather focus on flavor and general mechanics.
We will show you a new Perk Tree in the Martial lifestyle, a bunch of unique buildings, a dash of cultural flavor, and some nice religious flavor. We hope you'll enjoy it!

The Plunderer Perk Tree
Those of you who have played the first Elder Kings know that we handled raiding a bit differently from vanilla. While vanilla CK2 restricted raiding to tribals or unreformed religions, Elder Kings allowed everyone to raid.

The same question had to be asked for CK3 and Elder Kings 2, and we wanted to reach a middle ground between the vanilla approach (heavily restrict who can raid), and the EK1 approach (everyone can raid).
To reach that compromise, we present you the Plunderer Perk Tree.

As you can guess, this perk tree will focus on looting, raiding, and plundering foreign land.

01_plunderer_perk_tree.jpg

This perk tree contains 7 perks and the Plunderer trait, and will allow you to raid (including overseas) and boost the results of your raids.

Land Raids (starting perk):
Raid Speed +25%
Unlocks Raiding

Sea Raids (requires Land Raids):
Embarkation Cost -25%
Naval Speed +25%
Unlocks Raiding over seas

Sacred Raids (requires Land Raids):
You gain piety when bringing the loot home, equal to the amount of gold and prestige you get.
So if you bring 20 loot back, you'll get 20 piety in addition to the 20 gold and 20 prestige

Grand Raider (requires Sea Raids and Sacred Raids):
Increases the resources gained when bringing the loot back home by 25%
So if you bring 100 loot back, you'll get 125 gold, prestige, and piety instead of 100

Prisoners and Loot... (requires Grand Raiders):
Increases the chances of capturing a prisoner when raiding a ruler's capital

Loot and Prisoners... (requires Grand Raiders):
When bringing the loot back home, a small amount of development will be added to domain's provinces
Every 5 loot will add 1 development point to a random domain province, targetting in priority those closest to the next development progress cap.
So if you bring 100 loot back, and have one province at 95 development progress, another at 70, and a last one at 50, the first province will receive 5 development progress, and the second one 15

Raider Blood (requires Prisoners and Loot... and Loot and Prisoners...):
You gain a small amount of renown when you bring the loot back home
Bringing 50 loot home will award 5 renown, in addition to the 62~63 gold, prestige, and piety)

Plunderer (requires Raider Blood):
Awards the Plunderer trait
Martial +2
Stewardship +1
Prowess +2
Army Loot Capacity +100%

Hopefully this tree will allow you to fulfill all your Raiding needs!

Unique Buildings
The world of the Elder Scrolls is filled with special buildings, ranging from a gorgeous location, to a City considered the seat of the biggest Empire of Tamriel, with great Temples and holy walls in between.

It would be impossible to represent each and every special location we see in game, so we try to strike a nice balance between enjoyable gameplay, and löre fidelity.

02_imperial_city_buildings.jpg

We'll start with the Imperial City. Seat of countless Empires through the ages, the Imperial City is, by far, the largest settlement in the world of TES. It is home to hundreds of thousands or millions of people, hundreds of cults, the Dragonfires, White-Gold Tower, it is the seat of the Elder Council, and so on.

To properly represent its potential, it has - and by a large margin - the highest concentration of unique buildings.
You will find the Arcane University, the Imperial City Harbor, the Bastion, the Temple of the One, the Imperial City Arena, Port Hestra, and obviously White-Gold Tower. It also has a unique duchy building, aptly named 'The Imperial City', so rulers who own the own Imperial Isle can really punch above their weight.

03_mines.jpg

Just like in vanilla, some settlements are built close to very rich or unique ore veins, that can be exploited to make the province, and by extension its owner, very rich.

We have four exemples here:

The Sulfur Deposits of Aalto
Eastmarch has distinctively yellow water sources in some places during the Second Era. We decided to represent them via sulfur deposits, which are both very used in smithing, alchemy, gunpowder, and so on. Exploiting the deposits might not be as lucrative as ebony or amethyst, but it has the unique effect of making your Heavy Infantry and Spearmen considerably stronger - due to the higher quality of their weapons and armor.

The Amethyst Mine of Kulati
Kulati is knwon for its amethyst, the most beautiful in possibly all of Tamriel. Very expensive and very much wanted by the nobility, controlling the Mine here will make you one of the richest lords of Hammerfell.

The Lapis Lazuli Mine of Del's Claim
Found in Auridon, the second largest isle of the Summerset Isles, the Lapis Lazuli deposits were first found by Del, and the city was built around it and named in their honour. While not as expensive as Amethyst, it is still a very lucrative investment, and anyone who would like to forge a kingdom in Auridon should keep a close eye on these mines.

Ebony Mines of Ravenrock
Known by those who played Bloodmoon or Dragonborn, Ravenrock caught the attention of the East Empire Company during the end of the Third Era for its potential ebony deposits. They found even more than what they thought, and the settlement of Ravenrock was soon the center of attention in Solstheim.
While it is very much outside the time frame of Elder Kings II, it is possible that the mine would have been built if a previous expedition reported that they found Ebony.

04_holy_buildings.jpg

Each faith has holy sites, and each holy site should have a special building. While most holy sites are very happy with a big temple, some require a bit more finesse in ther building design.

Leki's Blade
Leki's Blade, deep within Hammerfell, teaches the finest students of Hammerfell the ancient arts of the sword. Both an important center of martial knowledge, and a holy building, it is a more martial oriented holy site.

Walls of Solitude
Built ages ago, each brick composing the walls around Haafingar's capital has been blessed by the Divines, protecting the city ever since. Over time however, knowledge of these blessings has been lost... But by reiterating the divine rituals once again, these walls will both protect the city and show the piety of the city's ruler!

Dragon Temple and Daedric Shrine
Two more generic holy buildings, that you can build in respectively any faith with the Dragons as its pantheon, and any with one specific Daedra in their pantheon.

There are many more unique buildings in Tamriel, but we can't show them all! We wouldn't want to completely spoil the surprise after all.

The Blood Price (Orsimer flavor):

05_blood_price_1.jpg

The Orcs in Tamriel have a slightly different way of dealing with prisoners. Instead of letting them rot in a cell, they tend to extract what is called a 'Blood Price'. While this Blood Price does not have to be paid in blood - silver might do just fine, it is also a way to weaken potential rivals - after all an Orc that cannot fight will not draw a large amount of followers.

When an Orc captures someone, they will ask for a Blood Price. The victim can either pay the ransom and be free, or decide that they could prove their worth by letting the jailor let them bleed for a while.
How much blood has to be spilt depends on the crime. Someone you captured in a war and that has not done you any wrong can be free to go with just a small amount of blood loss, while someone that should be executed will bleed for hours, if not days.
Depending on the imprisoned character's crime and current health, they might very well die...

06_blood_price_2.jpg

The Ristaag (All-Maker flavor):

07_ristaag_1.jpg

08_ristaag_2.jpg

And now for someone less bloody! The Skaal of Solstheim believe in the All-Maker, and have dedicated rituals to perform should they need the All-Maker's support. One of these rituals is the Ristaag, a ritual hunt during which the Skaal will search for the Totem of Claw and Fang, use it to summon a powerful Spirit Bear, and slay it. Completing the ritual will show to the All-Maker that the Skaal are grateful for His protection, and will grant whoever started the ritual with a powerful Popular Opinion and Control Growth bonus.

09_ristaag_3.jpg

Summon Dragons (Dragon Cultist flavor):

11_summon_dragon_1.jpg

To stay in northern Tamriel, those who follow the Dragons - that is to say, not a lot of people - can spend large amounts of piety to call one for help in battle.

12_dragon_rising.jpg

This Dragon will fight at your side, but do not expect them to stay here for long - you serve them, not the opposite.
As long as the Dragon is with you however, there won't be a lot of people who could defeat you in battle - and they are especially effective when the battle has been won and they can torch the battlefield.

13_dragon_maa.jpg

14_dragon_battle_result.jpg

A Dragon will cost several thousand points of Piety and does not replenish - as I said they will not stick around you forever.
They are to be called and used in times in need, or when you want to fight a much larger enemy - perhaps an Empire or even Living Gods..?

15_dragon_cult_screen.jpg

This is all for today, and I will leave you with a small teaser! We hope you enjoyed this dev diary, and as always make sure to check our Discord server where you can learn more about the mod, and get more teasers and screenshots.

16_.jpg

Have a fantastic day!

• 22Like
  • 11Love
Reactions:
How will Orcs handle non-Orcish prisoners? Can they still torture or recruit or take prisoners as concubines and such?
Prisoners of war will probably be left alone, but non-Orc criminals caught in Orcish land are still subject to the Blood Price

Reactions:
Atmora is a dead wasteland
Just add a big wasteland province north of Tamriel and call it Atmora, a lore friendly solution that will silence everyone that wants Atmora added

Just saw One Proud Bavarian's showcase of the mod. Great stuff. What I find interesting is this version seems to start earlier than the CK2, during a war against Akavir? So does that mean you could theoretically win that war from the other side and fortify yourself as a Tsaesci empire basically from the get-go?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just saw One Proud Bavarian's showcase of the mod. Great stuff. What I find interesting is this version seems to start earlier than the CK2, during a war against Akavir? So does that mean you could theoretically win that war from the other side and fortify yourself as a Tsaesci empire basically from the get-go?
Our first start date is 10 years before the first one of Elder Kings I, during the war between Attrebus and the Potentate, leading canonically to the Interregnum.
And yes, that means that the Potentate *might* win the war. This will however still leave them in a very precarious situation, so a big Tsaesci empire at game start is quite unlikely.

Reactions:
Our first start date is 10 years before the first one of Elder Kings I, during the war between Attrebus and the Potentate, leading canonically to the Interregnum.
And yes, that means that the Potentate *might* win the war. This will however still leave them in a very precarious situation, so a big Tsaesci empire at game start is quite unlikely.

It's not like I'd want the AI to do it all the time. Knowing it's an option for the player is good enough for me. I guess it also depends on what one means by a Tsaesci empire. From what I understand, the CK3 version will heavily discourage using ethnically foreign characters as governors. But presumably one could at least get extra Tsaesci for one's court and such with the invite Warrior/Steward/Mage/etc. decision.

Even in the event of the Tsaesci losing, would there still be some Tsaesci rulers knocking around afterwards?

Even in the event of the Tsaesci losing, would there still be some Tsaesci rulers knocking around afterwards?
Yes. The Potentate itself will always be destroyed, but the actions of Attrebus will decide the fate of the Tsaesci in Cyrodiil. And for those outside of Cyrodiil, well they are out of reach of the Warlord's wrath anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.