• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most don't, it's specific to bosmer currently. It comes form ESO's depiction of bosmer.
In tes:morrowind bosmer had black eyes as well. Mind you some had horn stubs too. In skyrim black eyes was an option. Can't remember if oblivion had that. Mer have had some real funky options in pretty much every TES game.

• 6Like
Reactions:
We have to remember how physically diverse Bosmer and Altmer can be in TES III-IV-V and between the TES games. They can have very different skin complexions, hairs and eyes.
If you check TES forums, you'll see that some questions pop up regularly: why do the bosmers have completely black eyes, but also Altmer in Skyrim ; why do mers look like goblins in the older games ; why can an altmer look like this in Oblivion...
The explanations are are usually given are of two orders:
1/ Aesthetic choices depending on technical limitations. The non-beast races of Oblivion all look very human for example, while in Morrowing they specifically tried to make mer more alien. This is also because at the time Oblivion was made, LOTR was the big thing to copy, while at the time of Morrowind, Dune and Star Wars were more important references. While for the first games, you can feel the importance of D&D illustrations and the like. In TESO like in any modern MMO, all races have to look good and sexy for the players, so the Mer look very human-like with only cool features.
2/ In-universe, it is because there is actually a lot of regional variety among each mer race - different skin complexions, hair colours, eye shapes and colours etc. But as often for the ES lore, this explanation comes from layers of different games and approaches more than from an actual intention. Still, it works.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Our Elven Race Models are already (mostly) done.
With Skyrims and ESOs Elves being the inspiration for all of them - as those aren't just the most popular, but also the most recent and highest quality iterations there are.
A showcase of them can be found here.

There is no explanation as to why races look different in different games - they are all the same race, always. With the exception of Khajiit of course.
Best example is ESO where we see the same iteration of a races model all over Tamriel.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Can different races marry and have children together? How would it look like? Because I don't remember hybrids in the games, but I'm not really well educated in the lore

• 3Like
Reactions:
Can different races marry and have children together? How would it look like? Because I don't remember hybrids in the games, but I'm not really well educated in the lore
AFAIK mer and men can make hybrids, leaving kahajits and argonians isolated.
There is a presedent for this, as the bretons are hybrids

Reactions:

Every Race, save for Khajiit, Argonians and possible other Beastraces, can mix. The results are dynamic, as our races are really just ck3 ethnicities.
This is, as stated by Fac0810, very much based in lore. Apart from the Bretons (Nede + Altmer Mix), there have been two Breto-Dunmer Emperors of Tamriel and other cases of mixed races.

If the mod is having bosmer with antlers and hybrids then can we have half-orcs who are orcs with antlers?

Currently, there are no antlers for Bosmer.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The Khajiit are quite varied, with their kinds ranging from literal giant cats to bipedal ones to remarkably human beings with some beastly characteristics. All this variety depends on the Moon.
Will this be in the game?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Every Race, save for Khajiit, Argonians and possible other Beastraces, can mix.

Weirdly there is actually some lore suggesting that Khajiit might be able to interbreed with the various "normie" races, though how exactly this would work is unclear, though to be fair its also pretty unclear exactly how the different breeds of Khajiit can mate with each other. In "The Real Barenziah" - it is explicitly stated that "You ought to meet some nice Elven boys, though. If you go on keeping company with Khajiits and humans and what have you, you'll find yourself pregnant in next to no time." and although the book comes from Daggerfall originally, when the Khajiit were more humanoid, notably the revised edition never removed this passage. Granted, the word of one character who might be wrong, assuming that they even existed outside of a possibly fictionalised biography, can hardly be treated as hard evidence, but the way that its so flippantly mentioned suggests that the idea isn't seen as completely absurd at any rate. There are some other shreds here and there that lend some credence to the idea too, though they are mostly along the "maybe its possible" line of thinking rather than just saying it is, but I can understand that there are more important things than figuring out how to handle edge case relationships that may or may not even be possible without creating total abominations.

our races are really just ck3 ethnicities.

Out of interest, how are cultures being handled in the mod? Is it more or less the same as the CK2 setup or are you going for a more localised breakdown?

Reactions:
Weirdly there is actually some lore suggesting that Khajiit might be able to interbreed with the various "normie" races, though how exactly this would work is unclear, though to be fair its also pretty unclear exactly how the different breeds of Khajiit can mate with each other. In "The Real Barenziah" - it is explicitly stated that "You ought to meet some nice Elven boys, though. If you go on keeping company with Khajiits and humans and what have you, you'll find yourself pregnant in next to no time." and although the book comes from Daggerfall originally, when the Khajiit were more humanoid, notably the revised edition never removed this passage. Granted, the word of one character who might be wrong, assuming that they even existed outside of a possibly fictionalised biography, can hardly be treated as hard evidence, but the way that its so flippantly mentioned suggests that the idea isn't seen as completely absurd at any rate. There are some other shreds here and there that lend some credence to the idea too, though they are mostly along the "maybe its possible" line of thinking rather than just saying it is, but I can understand that there are more important things than figuring out how to handle edge case relationships that may or may not even be possible without creating total abominations.
There are no examples of a hybrid khajiit in lore. Several sources do suggest "maybe it's possible" as you said but until there is actual confirmation that it is possible hybrids are not going to be added.

Out of interest, how are cultures being handled in the mod? Is it more or less the same as the CK2 setup or are you going for a more localised breakdown?
Cultures are more divided than EK1

• 6Like
Reactions:
How will you manage the time and chronology ? Will the game have an actual end like vanilla crusader kings; or not ? Will it be possible then, to unlock all of the dynastic skill trees ? As well as character skills three in case of immortals or elves characters ?

How will you manage the time and chronology ? Will the game have an actual end like vanilla crusader kings; or not ? Will it be possible then, to unlock all of the dynastic skill trees ? As well as character skills three in case of immortals or elves characters ?
The game will have an end date, but there is a gamerule to disable it. Unlocking all the dynastic skills is already possible in vanilla, nothing should stop you doing the same in ek2. The current plan for long lived characters is to reduce the rate they gain lifestyle progress with the reduction inverse to lifespan i.e. mer should have about 1/2 or 1/3 the rate and immortals next to no generation.

Reactions:
The game will have an end date, but there is a gamerule to disable it. Unlocking all the dynastic skills is already possible in vanilla, nothing should stop you doing the same in ek2. The current plan for long lived characters is to reduce the rate they gain lifestyle progress with the reduction inverse to lifespan i.e. mer should have about 1/2 or 1/3 the rate and immortals next to no generation.

What's the average mer's lifespan in the mod? 150-200?

What's the average mer's lifespan in the mod? 150-200?
it is currently not implemented, but will probably be closer to 200-300 years.
"... Mer is their lengthy lifespans, with average citizens living over two centuries before being considered old—two or three times the span of Men." from uesp. Considering humans tend to live to their 70s or 80s in tes, 'old' is probably arround 60 or 3/4 of life, for mer that would give 266 if 200 is 3/4 of lifespan. Note that this is the average citizen and nobles would tend to live longer.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Lifespan does not preclude getting stabbed in the gut by the by. In fact, the longer you live, the more likely it is to happen!

Also, as an aside, and this is just me screaming into the void so it's not like I actually expect anything to change, I really hope TES6 just ignores ESO, if not decanonizing it at the very least I hope they basically just don't acknowledge it. TBH, I'd prefer if EK didn't acknowledge ESO either but it is what it is...

Also, what's the word on Akaviri models in EK? Are they still going to be basically just asian people that look kind of funny or are they going to change at all?

Reactions:
Also, as an aside, and this is just me screaming into the void so it's not like I actually expect anything to change, I really hope TES6 just ignores ESO, if not decanonizing it at the very least I hope they basically just don't acknowledge it. TBH, I'd prefer if EK didn't acknowledge ESO either but it is what it is...

You won't be noticing any difference in EK between ESO and non-ESO lore then, because apart from some mediocre base game stuff, ESO has been delivering pretty good lore content. And we're going with "best of all worlds", so taking the 'best' information wherever possible or merging some stuff.

Also, what's the word on Akaviri models in EK? Are they still going to be basically just asian people that look kind of funny or are they going to change at all?

In any proper source since Morrowind, Tsaesci are human or at least humanoid. You don't even need ESO for that, though they have expanded on it.
Though we have an interesting idea to re-mystify them and reconciling ek1 lore with actual canon.

• 2Like
Reactions:

That would be difficut considering ESO adds a colossal amount of lore, wouldn't be surprised if it had more lore than all other games combined by now. Not only that, it also has some of the best lore in the series, some of it trumps anything from Oblivion and Skyrim in quality.

• 2Like
Reactions:
One more question, a thing I like to do in ck3 is to create a faith and go on a religious conquest, would I be able to do it in EK and keep playing with all those faith mechanics you added? (if those are faith mechanics, I'm talking about the deadric thingies)

Status
Not open for further replies.