• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And frankly, I don't get what this fascination with integrated distribution platforms is. At best they're clunky, at worst they actually damage the process. Maybe I'm just old, but I don't see how the benefits of a one click install outweigh the costs of randomly destroying your saves because the author decided it was time to update. Or steam decided to be crappy like usual.

True. The point really is that Steam Workshop gives you auto-updates to stable version. I can browse steam on my phone, notice the mod and subscribe to it, and then it would be in my mod list I can just launch it. If I'm not playing CK3 EK exclusively so when I want to try it out I have at the very least launch a developer tool and run an update in that separate application. Even if it's easy to use for a layman it's basically a separate launcher just for a mod.

Plus there's the problem with nightly builds. It's fine if the public has access to those, but for people who want a relatively stable game you still need to provide at least somewhat complete experience. I've tried nightly builds and those were stable. But if anything unexpected happens my analysis of the situation will start and end with "it's a nightly build, this mechanic is probably broken now".

• 1Like
Reactions:
  1. Working with big Mods and Steam Workshop on the creator side isn't fun. It's a pain in the *ss sometimes.
  2. The CK2/EK1 SVN Version was never a pure in-dev build. Updates were only pushed when they were somewhat complete.
  3. We're thinking of an easier distribution for EK2.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I mean the workshop is trash and breaks mods for pretty much any games regardless. Sometimes its a systemic and known issue with a given game that just puts some sort of random hard limit on what can be in the workshop, sometimes its just "lol, imma break now". And that automatic thing is still an issue; if I don't have control over when I update, I'm not interested. I maintain that a one click install is not worth losing a save I'm fifty hours into.

Like I said, I do agree that more packaged releases should have been available if only to get the mod more attention. But hey, most CK2 overhauls had slow update plans regardless. The difference with EK is that you could play the latest stuff literally whenever you feel like it.

Reactions:
I'm not a dev and I found it easy to keep up to date with. Or, rather, whenever I felt like getting it up to date. I'm one of those people who likes to change a bunch of things and whenever I update I have to check for compatibility so its more leg work for me.

Probably another reason why I don't like the workshop; more effort involved in accessing the core files so I can figure out what changes to make.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm not a dev and I found it easy to keep up to date with. Or, rather, whenever I felt like getting it up to date. I'm one of those people who likes to change a bunch of things and whenever I update I have to check for compatibility so its more leg work for me.

Probably another reason why I don't like the workshop; more effort involved in accessing the core files so I can figure out what changes to make.

I don't think majority of people will use SVN or Git for update their mods, only people with very good skills with software. Having the possibility for some advanced users or testers is a good thing, but packaged version is clearly the best ways to deliver stable mod to standard users.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Using SVN really doesn't require "very good skills with software". If the minor inconvenience of creating a folder, pasting a URL, and typing a password isn't worth it to you, then you'll just have to wait until the modders put the more complete updates on a platform you're willing to use.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Again, I agree (fundamentally; its really not a big deal to use it, and players should get used to actually doing things themselves because that makes it much easier to make minor changes whenever they feel like it). See everything where I said some variant of the phrase "More releases would have been better".

My points are A - Its not as big a barrier to entry as people make it out to be, B - The workshop can go die in a fire, C - Most major CK2 mods have some pretty large gaps between releases so offering nightly builds makes a huge difference to someone willing to put in two minutes of work, and D - The earlier comments (specifically Buladelus) were kind of outright insulting to the mod in general.

Reactions:
  1. Working with big Mods and Steam Workshop on the creator side isn't fun. It's a pain in the *ss sometimes.
  2. The CK2/EK1 SVN Version was never a pure in-dev build. Updates were only pushed when they were somewhat complete.
  3. We're thinking of an easier distribution for EK2.
I really like SVN but my friend installed linux on my pc so it runs faster but i couldn't get ek for so long trying to find an svn that worked, as ck2 was one of the few games that played on my linux setup and EK1 was my favorite mod. But SVN is amazing i love seeing what updated and choosing when.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Am very interested in the new religion system and this mod. There could be the trait based who you follow, and also faiths which are give primacy to this divine above all others or same gods differening practices. You could use the sunni/shia/ecumenical type/trait(whatever its called) system to make divine/te arda based religions see each other as astray without them needing the same religion group.
There can just, be SO MUCH variation!

• 1Love
Reactions:
A-)Do the devs already have an idea of how they are going to structure the religion? Allow me to make a proposition.
-Two families off the top of my head: Aedric and Daedric, maybe an "other" category. The former includes all religions devoted to the cult of one or multiples Aedra:
1)The Divines's Cult( Eight divines and Nine divines. 8D sees 9D as either astray or righteous 9D definitely sees 8D as Astray)
2)Yokudan(contain "pure" Yokudan religion and a melting pot religion to represent the limited syncretism with Divines worship)
3)Auri-El
4) Khajiit religion
The latter has the individual Daedra Cults plus religions devoted to one or multiples Daedra
Daedra:
1)Almsivi( sees Reclamations as Astray
2)Old Tribunal or Reclamations(Sees Almsivi as astray)
3)Pariah or Cult of Malacath.(Sees Trinimac as Hostile or even Evil)

B-)Concerning the de jure setup depending on barony and county density, would you consider making each Province an Empire? It seems more intuitive to me than the titular system we had(do we even still have titular titles?). Will the map be more granular? As much as vanilla France/England/HRE? While no fault of your own Elder scrolls as a high fantasy universe has rather general toponymy so the map feels "blocky" to me.

C-)Any plan for new special government types? Clan seems accurate to depict Orsimer and Dunmer societies.

D-)In EK you had to start tech from the beginning; How about now? Any plans for Cultural and Regional techs?

E-)Any news on portraits?:p

• 1Like
Reactions:
This should end the debate for EK1s SVN: (yes that's a manual download)

A-)Do the devs already have an idea of how they are going to structure the religion? Allow me to make a proposition.

We already have all the major religion groups, religions and faiths set.

B-)Concerning the de jure setup depending on barony and county density, would you consider making each Province an Empire? It seems more intuitive to me than the titular system we had(do we even still have titular titles?). Will the map be more granular? As much as vanilla France/England/HRE? While no fault of your own Elder scrolls as a high fantasy universe has rather general toponymy so the map feels "blocky" to me.

Provinces of Tamriel will be Empires.

C-)Any plan for new special government types? Clan seems accurate to depict Orsimer and Dunmer societies.

D-)In EK you had to start tech from the beginning; How about now? Any plans for Cultural and Regional techs?

We'll see.

Reactions:
Will the portraits be a major hurdle for mod development?
I'm really curious how the devs will handle interspecies children (men/mer) and beast races. I assume its going to be a pain but maybe its as "simple" as a trait that forces certain features. I'm just hoping for lots of Morrowind related content.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This should end the debate for EK1s SVN: (yes that's a manual download)

We already have all the major religion groups, religions and faiths set.

Provinces of Tamriel will be Empires.

We'll see.

Color me intrigued.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.