• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all drawn by hand too!
Oh damn! By hand? Do they do this from the in game map editor or in something like gimp/paint.net etc for the height map?

Regardless that's a lot of work for a map the side of Elder Kings, and what's shown is obviously worth the hard work.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Small update on our mapping progress and how we work:

Let's begin with the screen JJ shared of our concept map. As you can see, there is a whole lot going on.
Names, colours, red lines.
Our first step is to overlay available map material over our Tamriel Outliner and align the coasts/geographic features. Then we mark the important places from the map material onto our outliner. Afterwards we draw out what we think make for good barony borders and consolidate those into counties. Then we again check Lore and Map stuff to see if there is any information about how regions are bundled, where what titles are.
Once we're happy with how things turned out, the red lines get removed - and it's time for implementation.

Fast forwarding 5 days, and the map now looks rather differently in that region. The red lines have all been removed and the provinces are already implemented for the most part. While making the region ready for implementation, we also added some more baronies and counties.

1599057175328.png
unknown.png

Once the provinces are implemented, our talented terrain and heightmap artist goes in and turns the flat Tamriel basis into something really, really cool looking.
This is all drawn by hand too! Thus giving it a nice personal touch while keeping in line with the official worldspaces of those regions.

unknown.png

Nice. It seems the map will be more dense than the CK2 version. Are you adding wastelands in places like Northern Skyrim or the desert of Hammerfell?

happy to see EK2 be a thing so soon.
with CK2's progressive slowdown over time, ~800 years in EK1 is the longest i've ever gone in a CK2 game. hopefully i'll have CK3 by time time EK2 comes out!

• 1Like
Reactions:
the longer the better, but games seems to be able to process 800 years... not been that far in tho... longest game i had was like a century, before the fixes to inheritance.. thus a massive fustercluck. Was stable then.

But I can't wait for EK2.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Oh damn! By hand? Do they do this from the in game map editor or in something like gimp/paint.net etc for the height map?

Regardless that's a lot of work for a map the side of Elder Kings, and what's shown is obviously worth the hard work.
Yeah, it's really impressive!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm really intigue about how would you handle the genetics of CK3 into a multi race(species) wold. We have the precedent of the bretons being a half race of men and mer but i can't remember something in lore about argonians or khajiits or yakudan or mer/men mixing. how will this work?

Reactions:
Use the SVN...the steam version is waaaayyyyyyy behind...and the SVN is updated literally daily.

EKs uses a very "early access"/nightly builds model....not your traditional "release" model

I know this, and yet I kinda hope it's not repeated on CK3. From my experience it was a huge barrier to entry that none of the other total conversion mods had. I mean, I'm super familiar with git / svn, I love this mod, and even I honestly couldn't keep up to date with it, nor could any of my friends. So we played it less than perhaps we would have, had it just been on Steam in a reasonably playable state. Which is a real shame, as it's a fantastic mod.

That being said, I'm very excited about what the EK team does with CK3. :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
I preferred it...as it meant updates were regular and I didn't have to wait a ton of time between updates or bugfixes. Setting up the SVN is not preferable but it's also not hard and clear instructions were included. I suppose if they had some sort of weekly or biweekly updates I would be fine with it moving to purely steam workshop or something.

Reactions:
I understand that with mods you already subscribe to unprofessional and unpolished yet more experimental product. But when you tell me the mod is unpolished to the point that it's not on an existing integrated easy to use platform but on SVN - a platform that was never intended to be used a delivery system to any kind of consumer - I feel that I'd rather wait for something devs are not ashamed to release.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I feel that I'd rather wait for something devs are not ashamed to release.
I think that's a bit too harsh, yet the SVN version is extremely clunky, hard to use for inexperience people, and had no publicity, since there was quite a lot people that would note the releases but forgot about the SVN and thus the mod was most probably way less popular than it could be with few extra steps most mod teams are making. There is literally no reason to not do release once per month or two, since it's eternal beta anyways.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I found the SVN version pretty easy to keep up to date with

You use Tortoise, right click, update...done

If your friends are struggling to keep the same version, then just sync updates? - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 sync'd

Reactions:
I preferred SVN to steam or downloading exes, it updates when you want it to so theres no breaking saves, its easy click and go so having to go website, download back, I loved SVN for EK mod. Also the changelogs on the SVN, most helpful ever, not just what the devs write but you can literally see what files have changed and when so you know when it conflicts with your edits. I hope this mod does SVN too, and all mods really.

• 2Love
Reactions:
SVN as a release model had nothing do with being 'ashamed' of the product and everything to do with "Packaging releases takes time and effort away from actually developing the mod". I mean, they COULD have just copied a given build that was relatively stable, but at that point its not really that different from just using the SVN as the sole distribution form.

While I do agree that the team should have made more packaged releases than they did, that's strictly from the standpoint of getting the mod itself more attention. Its not a reflection of the quality of the mod or how confident the team feels about it.

And frankly, I don't get what this fascination with integrated distribution platforms is. At best they're clunky, at worst they actually damage the process. Maybe I'm just old, but I don't see how the benefits of a one click install outweigh the costs of randomly destroying your saves because the author decided it was time to update. Or steam decided to be crappy like usual.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.