• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I propose a new epithet for this exceptionally cruel Emperor: Konrad Lackchill
Thank you for reading!

It does have a nice ring to it, like King John Lackland :p I don't get to play a cruel ruler all that much, so being able to be a bit on the harsher side is a refreshing change of pace!

Reactions:
Thank you for reading!

It does have a nice ring to it, like King John Lackland :p I don't get to play a cruel ruler all that much, so being able to be a bit on the harsher side is a refreshing change of pace!

Indeed, this has been a fun read. I don't have the skill or the guts to roleplay as my ruler's personality.

And yes, I was going with John Lackland as inspiration for that name.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Indeed, this has been a fun read. I don't have the skill or the guts to roleplay as my ruler's personality.

And yes, I was going with John Lackland as inspiration for that name.
Glad you're enjoying it! I usually don't, though I'm making an exception for this run. Much more for power-gaming normally myself.

Reactions:
Cruel and/or evil rulers can be fun to RP - though it can start to weigh heavily on the heart if they have a long reign!
While Konrad was orchestrating the campaign in addition to the wholesale destruction of major population centres, he was still doting on his pride and joy Whiskers.
Ah, love to see the cute little puss being doted on while all around is horror and devastation!
In April 1284, Lutbert offered his formal surrender not to Konrad but to Pope Alexander III. His attempt to secure spiritual power had failed, leaving him politically isolated at the worst possible time.
An impossible situation really.
When he arrived in July 1284 at Prag where Konrad was stationed, they further claim that Alois’ retinue was allowed to meet with the Velky Vohlv, only to be ambushed and killed.
The Gryfitian sources offer a different account. They claim that Alois had arrived at the head of an army and had ambushed Konrad as he laid siege to Vysebrad
Whatever the truth of the matter was, Alois was dead, with the peace deal dying with him.
Nice spinning of another historical mystery from a game event.
Such atrocities, whether punitive or not, were overall counterproductive to what Konrad wished to achieve.
But he enjoyed them, which is the main thing. ;)
only for it to be cut short as the entire noble estate was caught in a massive explosion.
And you gotta love a good manure bomb.
The balance of power inside the realm was turning towards Konrad just as it was outside it.

Thus, his vassals hatched a plan.
Sinister plot music plays in the background. If the plot fails, you wouldn’t want to be the ones in Konrad’s prison! :eek:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Cruel and/or evil rulers can be fun to RP - though it can start to weigh heavily on the heart if they have a long reign!
Thanks for reading! It makes a nice change to the perfect characters I tend to go for. RPing out what my character would do is refreshing and fun, even if it can be a little messed up by our modern standards.
Ah, love to see the cute little puss being doted on while all around is horror and devastation!
I mean, when I saw that event pop up, I just had to write it in. A cruel ruler with a soft-spot for kitties? Too good to pass up.
An impossible situation really.
Absoultely. I've seen antipopes, espeically those backed by the HRE, often depose the standing pope due to how blobby the HRE can get. Two failures in a row (in-game) is quite the suprise.
Nice spinning of another historical mystery from a game event.
A little bit of spin to add to the normal 'we killed a commander' event.
But he enjoyed them, which is the main thing. ;)
I can imagine so. And I can imagine it would be quite the debate in Prof. Harrison's world as to how far Konrad's cruelty hamstringed him.
And you gotta love a good manure bomb.
What a way to end a party with a bang. :p
Sinister plot music plays in the background. If the plot fails, you wouldn’t want to be the ones in Konrad’s prison! :eek:
Hah, certainly not. He's becoming too powerful for others to tolerate, and his recent title change is not going down well.

Reactions:
Bloody hell. In more ways than one.

Konrad's reign is a terrible one. I love it.
The main thing is that you are enjoying! Thank you for reading, it's been fun to play the more cruel and harsh rulers, after a string of people who are not as bad and have some reedeeming qualities. :p

Reactions:
Szaman-Cesarz Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Absolute (1285-1289)
Szaman-Cesarz Konrad of the Gryfita Empire - The Absolute (1285-1289)
There is a reason 'Konradian' became the 'Machiavellian' of the Gryfita Empire. - Herbert Tomaski, 'The Intrigues of Medieval Europe', 1992.

The "Conspiracy of Jarilo", as it came to be known in later sources, was a plan to have Konrad seized and killed during the annual festival of Jarilo, and then replaced by his son Konrad II, who would be easier to control given his young age. The intention would then be to reverse his reforms across the empire and return power to the nobility. The plot had powerful backers, which included the Kings of Chernigov, Lithuania and of Pomerania, along with a number of disloyal dukes who had also joined the plot, together with the Grand Mayor of the Republic of Gotland, Krezlaw, who was intended to provide the financial backing towards the plot.

1674999819130.png

This was a serious plot and one that had all the political backing it needed to succeed. Unbeknown to the plotters, they had a traitor in their midst - Grand Mayor Krezslaw.

Krezslaw had openly denounced Konrad at his election, which took place after the "accidental" death of his predecessor in a tragic manure explosion. He never directly accused his liege, as that would political suicide, but was still disgruntled. This made him a valuable ally to the conspirators, as the wealth of the republic would finance anything they needed for success. What they did not know was that Krezslaw had secretly struck a pact with Konrad shortly before his ascension to power.

Krezslaw's family, the Potockis, had no eligible male heirs. This meant that the family would be unable to remain in power after his death, as the republic only allowed males to run in elections. Without delving too deeply into mercantile politics, his family had formed an informal alliance with the Razidwills, another of the republic's powerful merchant families. Konrad was well aware that any plot would need signficant finacial backing and correctly identified the Grand Mayor as a prime recruit to any who sought to do him harm. So an arrangement was made.

Krezslaw would be "helped" into his position at the head of the republic, have it maintained and their allies the Razidwill supported after his death, in return for Krezslaw becoming a mole for Konrad. This lends further credence to the notion that Twardomir's death was by no means an accident.

This arrangement would pay off for all involved.

1674999876547.png

On 6 May 1286, a week after the conspirators had gathered, the plot was leaked. The source was (unsurprisingly) Krezslaw, who was subsequently placed under temporary house arrest, a mere slap on the wrist for the crime of attempted regicide. His treachery came as a severe shock to the conspirators, as did the speed at which the royal guards descended on the disloyal vassals. The first target was King Skarbimir of Lithuania, who reacted with speed by raising an army on the same day the plot was revealed.

1675005058703.png

King Skarbimir had sent word to his other conspirators to raise arms, which together would have posed a significant threat to Konrad. However, for the entire year that Skarbimir was in open revolt, from September 1287 to 1288, no-one came to his aid. Historians attest that this was due to Konrad's interception of any such messages, even those sent by sea or river, to prevent rapid communication. While the other conspirators would eventually receive word, it would be too late to influence the outcome of the war. Skarbimir was captured in battle and had his titles stripped from him.

As a show of ‘mercy’, Konrad allowed for Skarbimir to keep his ducal titles, though the latter was still imprisoned indefinitely and subsequently disappeared from historical records. Konrad would retain control of Lithuania directly from then on, unable or unwilling to appoint a viceroy at the time.

1675005132818.png

Without much delay, Konrad would set his sights on another of the conspirators, King Waclaw of Pomerania. Waclaw was a distant cousin from the Gryfita line, showing there was no love lost within the dynasty. Unluckily for this cousin, kinslaying was as serious a crime as regicide, which meant he found even less support from his fellow vassals. The other conspirators were aware of Konrad's gradual purge of them from positions of power, but the uneventful putting down of Skarbimir's rebellion had robbed them of their most powerful ally. Worse still, the seizure of Krezslaw meant that the wealth of the Gotland Republic was closed to them. At this juncture, they were faced with the impossible choice of certain death in rebellion or throwing themselves at the mercy of Korad, a characteristic of which they all knew he had little.

The fear that Konrad could act unchecked by his vassals had come to pass.

Such power would be demonstrated in short order, for he soon accused another distant cousin, King Msciwoj of Galich-Volyina, of being part of the plot as well. However, there is no evidence that this was true, and it is more probable that it was used as a pretext for an invasion. Konrad handled this in a clever way, simply demanding that his cousin relinquish the vassalage of one of his northern (and most prosperous) regions; whether the demand was accepted or refused, either outcome would benefit him.

If accepted, Konrad would consolidate his power over his vassals and establish a precedent for future revocations based on dubious grounds. If it was rejected, then Msciwoj would be refusing his liege's command and could only take up arms against him - an act of treason. The latter would be chosen and war declared.

It is important to clarify this: Konrad was making a blatant grab for power. Msciwoj, as a cousin of the family, was a potential claimant to the title of Velky Vohlv. The Council of Elders had mostly sided with Konrad, either out of admiration for his success or fear of retribution, but could seek the support of another Gryfita if they wished. This included Waclaw of Pomerania, as both his kingdom and Galich-Volyina were wealthy and had the resources to expand further. As such, they posed a threat that Konrad chose to deal with, all under the convenient excuse that they were plotting to have him killed.

1675006277054.png

A war on opposite ends of the realm could have posed a formidable challenge to Konrad, but he had cemented enough power that he was able to split his forces, with enough loyal commanders to do his bidding. His confidence was evident in his absence from the battlefield, as from the start of the conflict in November 1287 until its conclusion in 1288, Konrad would conduct business as usual in the capital, as if the two most powerful kingdoms in his realm were not in open revolt.

The uprising would eventually come to nothing, with both rebellious lords suffering the same fate as Msciwoj - they received no outside support and were prevented from combining their forces, so each suffered from a numerical disadvantage locally. Konrad's forces crushed their opposition and carried out rapid siege assaults on the capitals of both kingdoms, taking heavy but manageable losses. With no recourse, both Mscjwoj and Waclaw were forced to surrender, with the wife of the latter threatened with execution for good measure.

1675006669868.png
1675006705011.png

Both men would suffer the same punishment for their treachery, perceived or otherwise. Each was stripped of their kingdoms and by 1289, of the seven constituent kingdoms of the empire, four were now under the direct control of Konrad. Poland, Pomerania, Lithuania and Galich-Volyina were the wealthiest kingdoms in the land, dwarfed only by the Gotland Republic, whose allegiance had already been secured. Novgorod had been given to a loyalist, and Chernigov, the last vassal who had colluded to kill Konrad, was embroiled in a civil war, which may have been aided by the Shaman-Emperor to keep her from intervening.

As per the agreement with Krezslaw, Konrad would fulfill his obligations to his allies and as a reward for their loyalty, bestow upon them a new title. The northern realm would no longer be called the Gotland Republic, but instead the Swedish Republic, with Miesko Radizwill as the first Prince-Mayor of the realm. This in turn gave them a claim on what little remained outside the republic's control, ensuring their dominance over the north for centuries to come.

As for Krezslaw, he had died in comfort under house arrest, as he was already advanced in years and his "arrest" had really amounted to a lavish retirement.

In 13 years, Konrad had gone from being beaten and on the verge of being overthrown by his vassals, to now being unchallenged in his authority over his realm. Had he been given a decade to consolidate these political gains, the history of the empire could have been radically different. Unfortunately for him, such a reprieve would not be granted.

As Konrad planned to act upon Chernigov and drive home his complete authority, he would be faced with a crisis almost entirely of his own making. The man had proven too successful, with sadistic tendencies that had become as legendary as Havel's martial prowess. While Konrad's own military successes were numerous and afforded him a modicum of respect by his contemporaries, Konrad was no virtuous pagan. He would face a united enemy seeking containment of the pagan threat and, for one Kaiser, revenge.

So begins the Seventh Crusade, and the swan song of Konrad Gryfita.

1675006816104.png

• 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I do hope everyone is well! Next week we'll have the 13th century summary (finally) and the week after that an update as regular. Thank you again to all those that read and comment!

Reactions:
They say pride comes before the fall. And Konrad has far to fall.

Reactions:
They say pride comes before the fall. And Konrad has far to fall.
Thank you for reading! That he does, he has achieved much at the cost of many and now some are calling in their debts.

Reactions:
Thank you for the updates. I love summaries. Konrad is the law and above the law. 70% plot power with eight plotters demonstrates Konrad's plot defense.
Thanks for reading! I've fallen a little behind in providing them but getting myself caught up a little. It can be fun to go back and see some of the crazy stuff this game can throw at you.

Konrad is indeed scary. I honestly expected more attempts on his life but after the first one, I kept a closer eye on the intrigue tab and saw a chance for some good story.

Reactions:
Konrad was no virtuous pagan. He would face a united enemy seeking containment of the pagan threat and, for one Kaiser, revenge.
A true statement if ever there was one. It’s not like all around him are angels, but he does stand out as particularly hard and cruel - a not unreasonable approach for an expansionist pagan leader. It worked for the Mongols pretty well for a long time in OTL! Let’s hope this latest crusade can be smashed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Century in Summary - The 13th Century
Century in Summary - The 13th Century (1100-1200)

With the death of an empire and Konrad asserting his control over his own, it is once more time to pause and reflect on the century that has passed across Europe.

So I ask you to cast your minds back to 1200 A.D., when the legendary Havel was nearing his end and the path of the world had been irrevocably changed by his creation of the Gryfita Empire.

British Isles

1675604828892.png

England had been remarkably stable under the Norman dynasty in the previous century. Most had grown accustomed to the presence of French dukes-turned-kings, and with the collapse of France as a nation, the awkward predicament of a French duke who was also the king of England being a vassal of the French king was deftly avoided. It also afforded them the chance to expand their holdings around Normandy with little effort.

England had also been able to expand into the north, albeit slowly due to the rough terrain of Scotland as a whole. A series of succession crises and territorial losses to England, Norway and even Ireland had left the Dunkeld dynasty in crisis, with Scotland on the cusp of falling apart.

As Scotland struggled with their decline, another kingdom struggled with its own. A series of succession crises and territorial losses to England, Norway and even Ireland had brought the Dunkeld dynasty to a crisis point, with Scotland as a whole threatening to evaporate. Whilst they struggled with their decline, another kingdom struggled with its rise. Ireland had been unified, something once thought impossible, in a way almost too fanciful for non-fiction. Truth is stranger than fiction.

The first unifier of Ireland was Sultan Alam 'the Usurper'. Even today, when the uniformed are told of the Sultanate of Ireland, there is a mixture of laughter and confusion.

Alam belonged to the Ua Briain dynasty, who by the late 12th century were set to conquer the island, with England happy to take land from Scotland and otherwise leave Ireland alone.

However, the dynasty had acquired a sinister reputation for cruelty, with a penchant for tyranny and high taxes making them deeply unpopular with many of their vassals. Hence the nickname 'the Tormentor' for the soon-to-be High King Androus. While unpopular, his military gave him the authority to rule as he pleased. Even members of his own dynasty disliked him and his greatest act of infamy was murder of his own brother and claimant.

Enter Alam.

1675604980656.png

His origins are a mystery, though recent research has shed some light on the subject. Androus had one younger brother who had taken part in a crusade to conquer Egypt in 1187. This brother, who is never named in sources, is said to have been killed in the fighting. Most historians now believe that this man was Alam. That was not his actual name, of course, but it was the name he had taken. The legend says that Alam was rescued from the battle by a common Egyptian widow and nursed back to health. The two soon fell in love and from her Alam slowly began to adopt and embrace Egyptian culture. It is telling that he opted to stay in a foreign land rather than his own homeland.

When Androus learned of another claimant, he demanded that the newly appointed King of Egypt, installed after the successful crusade, imprison him. When he was refused, an attempt was made on his life, in which Alam's lover was killed. Enraged, he sailed to his birthplace, where he would spend a year at the head of an army seeking revenge. No sooner had Androus placed the crown upon his head than he found himself in a civil war with few allies, who flocked to Alam's side and his host of volunteers and mercenaries.

Arduous was defeated in 1299 and summarily executed. In tribute to his love of Egyptian culture and his dead lover, Alam refused to take a more Irish name and demanded to be called Sultan. Most were willing to tolerate this little oddity for the sake of peace, but Alam soon found himself in another civil war with those who rejected the rule of a perceived foreigner. Thus began the Sultanate of Ireland.

Truth can be stranger than fiction sometimes.

Western Europe

Since our last summary, the balance of power in Europe had changed drastically. This was not only due to the rise of a powerful pagan empire in the east, but also to a clash of two divergent cultures which had toppled the second most powerful kingdom in Europe at the time.

1675605096145.png

The collapse of France has largely been attributed to a single man: King Hugues II ‘the Tormentor’ of France. With such a nickname, used by contemporaries even, his reign would be regarded as one of the worst in French history.

King Hugues II inherited the throne in 1136 after the death of his father, the comparatively popular King Raoul II 'the Just'. The first few years of his reign were largely uneventful, with the man proving to be a charismatic reveler famous for his extravagant feasts. But in 1139 his world was to be shattered by a terrible stroke of misfortune.

The south of France was prone to rebellion because of the different cultures and the often exploitative nature of the taxes levied on the lords of the south. Their language was also often ignored, with all ceremonies and laws being in either Latin or French, not Occitane. In 1139 there was a major peasant revolt in the south. This rebellion was met in battle by King Hugues II, who was attempting to demonstrate his own power to the southern lords. Though the royal forces would win, it would not be without loss. In the chaos of the battle, the king would be gravely injured. A loose crossbow bolt struck him in his helmet, piercing through his eye guard. The guard stopped the bolt sufficiently to prevent instant death, but not enough to save his eye. The metal of the guard, perhaps of poor quality, would shatter and embed shrapnel in the other eye, rendering him totally blind. The battle would be won and the rebellion crushed, however King Hugues II was forever changed.

Not too dissimilar to our exploration of Konrad Gryfita, King Hugues II would undergo a total personality change, becoming cruel and embittered. His descent into tyranny is largely irrelevant for our purposes, except that in 1141 he would undertake his most infamous campaign. The Harrying of the South, as it is most commonly known, was a period of over a year during which the king's men destroyed (harried) southern villages, mainly to find the peasant responsible for his blindness and take his revenge on those he felt had wronged him. Tens of thousands were killed, and the killing of innocent Christians prompted outrage and later excommunication. It was an act of political self-harm.

1675605211570.png

Such harm was used against him. In response, and with the support of the southern lords, Duke Aimeric I would launch a rebellion of his own at the turn of 1143. The aim was not to overthrow King Hughes II, but to secede the south as a whole. Four years of fighting would see the now King Aimeric 'the Liberator' crowned as the first King of Aquitaine, a title not held since King Carloman, brother of Charlemagne.

By 1200, Aquitaine was the dominant power. France was in chaos, with England, Brittany and the HRE all taking advantage of both powers at various times to seize land. Aquitaine would hold and begin to consolidate its own position, eyeing what was left of the mainland and eager to reclaim lost land.

The HRE had weathered the Second Antipapal Crisis, with the Papacy coming out on top. Though destabilised, it was still the leading power in Europe and had been able to capitalise on the instability of its catholic neighbors to expand. As the central power of the continent slowly stabilised, it was viewed by many as the greatest (and only) counterbalance to the Gryftia Empire.

1675605274360.png

Iberia
As we venture back towards the Iberian Peninsula, we can see that imperial expansion was not just limited to Europe. As the Almoravid Sultanate looked poised to conquer the remainder of Iberia, they were set upon in 1189 by a surprise attack from an unlikely source. Unbeknownst to Sultan Awzal, the Mallorca islands that had proved to be a haven for the Muslim pirates and slavers, had been conquered the year prior. This island then acted as a staging point for an invasion into Granada, with the HRE coming out victorious.

This was the first setback from an outside source the Almoravid Sultanate had faced, which would bring their conquering momentum to a crashing halt. Castille, reduced to only a few provinces, was granted a reprieve, though with even Aquantaine taking lands across The Pyrenees Mountains, their survival was not guaranteed.

1675605382654.png

Eastern Europe

Around 1200, the legendary Havel Gryfita was on his deathbed, becoming increasingly ill. His achievements have already been well documented in this book, although they will be briefly summarised.

After the death of his father and theological founder of the Slavic faith, Wratislaw 'the Dove', in 1154, Havel had seen to the official reformation of his faith in 1158, then the founding of the Gryfita Empire in 1172. He had then seen to the subjugation of the Lithuanian and Baltic tribes to his north-east, with the vassals he placed in positions of power seeing to further expansion eastwards. As the 1200's came to a close, the Gryfita Empire was now the dominant power in Eastern Europe.

It wasn't without its rivals, for the HRE had recovered from its religious crisis, and there was talk of a renewed Eastern Crusade, to be timed not so subtly after Havel's death. Even in its infancy, the Empire was sandwiched between hostile powers that would take advantage of any weakness. The fall of Kievan Rus had weakened the enemies to the east and facilitated expansion, but the threat from the west was just beginning to grow.

1675605484788.png

Far East

The nomadic and tribal nature of the Far East remained unchanged, by 1200 various factions still battled each other for control of land and resources. What had changed in the previous century was the religious nature of the area. Cumania had been the dominant power in the region and, importantly, a Tengri confederation. Its collapse, largely sparked by Swietopelk III in 1136 with the assassination of Khagan Kopti and the later conquest of Kiev, left a religious power vacuum.

This vacuum was to be filled by Islam. The Seljuk Turks had begun a limited campaign in the region in the 1150s. This conquest was not far-reaching, but the influx of traders and missionaries were. This led to a wave of rulers forsaking their own pagan ways. The reasons for conversion varied from genuine belief, to access to the empire's trade markets, to currying favour to avoid conquest. Whatever the logic behind the decision, by 1200 all but the most northern or remote tribes had embraced Sunni Islam.

This did nothing to stop factional warfare, except to reduce the local slave trade, since it was forbidden to take a fellow Muslim as a slave. It did, however, establish a strong Muslim influence that would remain once the Mongols entered history, setting the scene for when the Mongols would follow suit.

1675605599200.png

Scandinavia

Scandinavia was not mentioned in the previous summary as it was largely irrelevant for our purposes. It would not enter imperial history until the conquest of Gotland by Wojslawa in 1211, but a comparison before and after the prolonged pagan settlement by the Gryfita Empire would be valuable.

By the 11th century, Sweden, one of the last hold-outs of paganism in Europe, had largely been Christianised, before Swietopelk III added one more. The hope of the Swedish monarchs had been to integrate their kingdoms into the Catholic world, bringing them new allies and financial opportunities. Unfortunately for them, this world was falling apart as they joined it.

The Second Antipapal Crisis had shattered the unity of Catholicism. It would be mended in time, but not in time to save Sweden, and to a lesser extent Norway, from pagan invasion. This did not (yet) come from the Gryfita Empire, but rather from the Suomenusko pagans in the Finnish lands of the east. The Lappi and Suomi tribes were both able to take advantage of the fact that the Catholics on the mainland were preoccupied with internal strife and expanded at the expense of their two Christian neighbours. The most egregious of these expansions came in 1197, when the much smaller Suomi tribe, under the famous King Rieti, captured the Swedish capital of Uppland, whose temple was promptly burnt down.

These territorial losses sowed division and instability, leading to frequent rebellions that only weakened these nations further. When they were able to ask for help, few were willing or able to lend it. The Christianisation of Scandinavia, so recently begun, seemed ready to be reversed.

1675605696439.png

Asia and North Africa

Once again, we end with two empires at odds with each other.

The decline of the Byzantine Empire had been halted by the work of Alexios Kommenos I, who would follow the tradition of Roman emperors and then be assassinated in 1117 after his reforms, though effective and vital to the survival of the empire as a whole, proved fatally unpopular.

1675605941433.png

The Kommenos line would then be subjected to an intense period of dynastic misfortune. Alexios I had three children ready to take his place as Emperor, all of whom had won the favour of the Imperial Council and all of whom were competent military leaders in their own right. The first son, Andronikos, would rule for only two years before dying of measles in 1119. His brother Ioannes II would last only a year, dying of consumption in 1120. His last and youngest child, Ioannes II, would last longer, seven years, before a battlefield injury he suffered during an attempt to reconquer the lands held by Rum became infected and caused his death in 1126.

1675605988189.png
1675606022468.png
1675606063145.png

Losing four emperors in the space of ten years was not a recipe for the stability the empire desperately needed. With the bad luck associated with the line, the Komnenos dynasty would soon find its influence waning in favour of other houses. These new emperors had varying degrees of success, but none could wrest further control from the Seljuk vassal state.

By 1200, the reigning basileus, Constantine XII, was unpopular and focused more on religious studies than leadership. His empire was heavily in debt, heresy was rampant and much of Alexios I's work seemed to have been in vain.

Meanwhile, their Muslim neighbours were at the height of their power.

The Seljuks had come to dominate much of Persia and Arabia under a series of rulers who were able to expand rapidly into their neighbours and bring them under their rule. In particular, the conquests of Sultan Sencer I 'One Hand' saw the culmination of Islamic achievement in 1197 where, shortly before his death, he declared that it would be his dynasty that would become caliphs, the successor to the Prophet Mohammad. As the dominant power, no other state could hope to match such a claim.

The title had been held by the Abbasid dynasty, once the rulers of the Abbasid caliphate, but the meteoric rise of the Seljuks had largely eclipsed their power in favour of the Turks. Their role as caliph was largely ceremonial by 1200, with Sultan Sencer I having done away the ceremony and declaring the official transition of the title.

1675606124114.png

The Seljuk Turks had expanded their influence and become obscenely wealthy. By 1200 they were experiencing what some would call the Second Islamic Golden Age. However, this wealth and fame would begin to affect the dynasty in a negative way. In a culture and faith that discouraged decadence, the reigning caliph, Mohammed II, had already proved himself wanting. His extravagant parties, outrageous spending and immoral behaviour disturbed many, but no one dared challenge the ruling Sejuks.

As we shall see, such a challenge would come from the unlikeliest of places - the far eastern steppes, under a universal Mongol ruler.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Century in Summary - 13th Century Map of Europe
Century in Summary - 13th Century Map of Europe (1 Jan 1200)
The period between 1100 and 1200 saw the rise and fall of empires and faiths. In the east, Havel Gryfita's conquests have culminated in the founding of the Gryfita Empire, which will change the course of Europe forever. With the fervour of the Slavic faith united under his dynasty, further expansion is inevitable. With paganism dominant in the East, Islam is equally successful, and the mighty Seljuk Empire has seized the Caliphate, while Byzantium struggles with internal strife after limited success against the Sultanate of Rum. Such is their power that many of the nomads to their north readily accept conversion, setting the stage for the approach of thunderous hooves from the east.

Meanwhile, Catholicism struggled. With the Second Antipapal Crisis resolved, the damage has already been done. Pagans to the east, Muslims to the west, only halted by a daring attack on Granada by the Holy Roman Empire. With France torn asunder, Aquitaine, England and even the HRE are eagerly picking at its corpse. While England is spared much of the chaos and profit, Norway and Sweden, facing unprecedented pagan aggression, buckle and like France, threaten to collapse.

Paganism thrives under a unified dogma. The tide of Islam is only just being held back. Will Catholics be able to unify in time?

1675617127001.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Great summaries, though I must admit I got a bit confused with the periods being covered: many seemed to be recaps of the 12th rather than 13th centuries, so I wasn’t sure whether it was a summary of where things stood in 1200 or 1300.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great summaries, though I must admit I got a bit confused with the periods being covered: many seemed to be recaps of the 12th rather than 13th centuries, so I wasn’t sure whether it was a summary of where things stood in 1200 or 1300.
That is because I am a numpty and got the dates mixed up in my tired head xD Fixed now and apologies for that. This should be a snap-shot of where things stand in 1200.

Reactions:
Royal Rumble of the century approaches. Seljuk vs. Mongols. What religion will the Mongol transition to from Tengri (I have seen reformed Tengri)? I have never seen Catholic Mongols, but this game's weakened Catholicism would be an ideal situation if Mongol Catholic is not hard scripted not to happen. Gryftia is preparing to invade independent Hungary (needs much help). How big is de jure Hungary? Hungary will remain fairly sizeable (is that Hungarian Venice).