• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Velky Volhv Wojslawa of the Gryfita Empire - The Empress (1209-1210)
Velky Volhv Wojslawa of the Gryfita Empire - The Empress (1209-1210)

'May I find wisdom in life, and peace in death' - A common ending to prayers given to Morana, taken from the modern Legends text.

Havel Gryfita, the last of the Trinity, was dead.

Over the course of 100 years, the reigns of these three men had uprooted the religious balance of Europe. Now the pagan empire was too big to easily crush, but now also too big to ignore. It is in this setting that Wojslawa Gryfita takes to the stage. The heir that was never meant to be, now thrust onto the global theatre, the first Empress of the Gryfita Empire.

As a small aside, the end of the ‘Trinity Period’ as historians tend to label it, marks the end of the use of the Red Manuscript as a major source of the dynasty. It would still be used sporadically, for Wojslawa would write of her father’s true cause of death within it’s pages, but we move from personal diaries to more standard imperial records. Between the cementing of the new empire and the introduction of the Havellian Library, there was an increase in the use and copying of documents. Thus sources do get a bit more ‘stale’ but no more than usual fare.

But back to our new empress.

The first act of the Empress, after she was crowned in Plock on 6 July 1209, was to announce that her father was to be cremated in a grand ceremony where all those of rank could pay respect to the legendary figure as he departed for the realm of the Gods. She also took the opportunity to give the structure it’s official name, for ‘Panteon’ was just the Polish for ‘Pantheon’ and used only by Havel. She gave the temple the name it has today - The Sanctuary of the Gods.

1646576353482.png
1646576434309.png

With those two announcements made on the day of her crowning, the new Velky Vohlv would begin her rule. So what do we know of her up to this point? A fair amount thankfully, for with the increased writings of the time we are gifted more detailed information.

Born in 1164 to one of Havel’s concubines (who goes unnamed) Wojslawa was given no different treatment than her father’s other children. That is to say, she was raised by officials outside of the palace and maybe met her father a handful of times in her life. It was hardly a recipe for creating familial ties.

Though unlike her siblings, Wojslawa showed little disdain for her father. Upon coming of age, she almost immediately joined the Champions of Perun at the age of 16 and would become a lifelong member. It seemed that she had found her calling, for she would quickly ascend the ranks and gain no small amount of respect.

She was often cited for her bravery and also her ability to quickly pick up and learn new tactics and techniques. It appears that while not invited on Havel’s journey to Byzantium, she did take part in his raid into the HRE when he nearly bankrupted himself. Havel was also the Hero of the Champions of Perun, so would have heard this feedback. What impressed him the most was her studies into organisation and supply, which was the field Havel had composed a masterful treatise on in his earlier life and Wojslawa had taken those teachings to heart.

She also shared some of the personality traits of Havel, mainly the seemingly perfect balance of being a hard-working, good-hearted individual and being absolutely ruthless to those who opposed her. The one stain to her record is that of the numerous times she had killed those who had duelled her. These were often carried out with blunted weapons, so to strike with enough force to kill was both impressive and very intentional.

Because of some or all of these factors, she would be appointed as a Shieldmaiden in 1190, just before Havel left for his journey. It was an honorary title that gave her permission to lead troops into battle, something otherwise completely restricted to her gender. Some suggest that this appointment was a silent way of Havel tapping her on the shoulder as a potential heir, though this has never been proven.

She had also been married to the new King of Lithuania as a reward for earlier valour, but this was quickly declared void by Havel once she was named his new heir, such was the power he had.

1646576656917.png

She didn’t seem to dislike her father, for she was humbled by being made heir and took to her studies in preparation for this well. She seemed to share that scholarly streak that the Gryfita line had been producing thus far. This is further evidenced by her honouring the agreement she had made with him, proclaiming his eldest son and her half-brother Wanko as her heir. She would take to educating the child personally and harshly.

1646576834033.png

The final point of note was her piety. She was an ardent worshipper of the Slavic Gods as was to be expected of the Gryfita line and Velky Vohlv, though it was not Perun who received her most ardent worship.

Wojslawa was a fervent worshipper of Morana, the Slavic Goddess of Winter, death, medicine and wisdom. It was a fitting choice given her scholarly intentions, evidenced when she ordered the construction of an observatory within the palace. It would not survive to the modern day and was apparently a modest affair, but the Empress seemed to have a penchant for astrology that she was eager to pursue.

1646577160660.png
1646577217852.png

The start of the construction in July 1209 was also when she would first be seen with her father’s blade at her side. This was the blade that Havel had taken from the battlefield during his lithuainian campaigns and had gone on to be his weapon of choice on his now legendary journey to Byzantium. For an unremarkable blade, it was steeped in fame and infamy and would become a key piece of the identity of Gryftitian rulers for centuries to come. It would become known as ‘Thunderheart’, taken after one of the many nicknames Havel had earned in his life. Iit would be the weapon of choice for future emperors heading into battle up until the 16th century.

1646578745133.png

On 15 July 1209, Havel was cremated within the Sanctuary of the Gods, we see a strange mix of the use ‘Panteon’ and ‘Sanctuary of the Gods’ which suggests the new name had not quite stuck yet, but that is besides the point. The sources all agree that the ceremony was a truly extravagant affair. All vassals were in attendance for both the cremation and the feast afterwards. It was a chance for Wojslawa to cement her authority and in a way piggyback off the fame of her father, for most respected him and would equally respect such a gracious send-off.

1646578990295.png

This authority would be quickly tested. Havel’s personal power had been so great, even in a relatively decentralised empire, that rebellion and internal strife amongst the nobility was mostly unheard of. Peasant and religious rebellion was a different story, but arguably the least dangerous type of rebellion.

The first test was not aimed at her directly, but did highlight the lack of central authority that was common amongst the feudal nobility. In August 1209, a duke named Wanko (not Havel’s son) under the Kingdom of Lithuania declared rebellion against the current Queen Adjela, Wojslawa’s sister-in-law. The conflict had been brought about by high taxes, introduced by Wojslawa’s now late husband. A woman on the throne meant it was easier for a vassal to raise a grievance, simply because of the previously discussed connotations common at the time.

Part of the Havellian Law Code allowed for the ruler of the empire to demand that such a conflict be ceased immediately. It was one of the few centralising reforms that Havel had managed to sneak through into his code and it would prove it’s use. To refuse meant a valid reason for imprisonment and intervention.

Empress Wojslawa quickly sent word to the rebelling Wanko, demanding that they make peace or risk such action. Surprisingly, we actually have the reply sent back to the empress, which has Wanko open the reply with ‘To the sweet valkyrie’. This was either a show of genuine affection, or a very tongue in cheek way of showing respect. Nonetheless, he deemed the demand reasonable and quickly made peace. Thus Wojslawa had shown that she was able to project her power outside of the Crownland.

1646579143183.png

Though it would not always be so simple. In only three months time, another rebellion broke out, this time in Ruthenia, the portion of the empire to the east of Lithuania. Another row over tax, another letter sent demanding a cessation of hostilities. Only this time the rebelling vassal, who also refers to Wojslawa as a ‘sweet valkyrie’ would ask for payment in exchange for peace.

Wojslawa’s bluff had been called. It is likely that she did not want to send her own forces into the conflict or escalate it further, for a simple reason - she knew what would be coming. She was under no illusion that the Catholic powers that surrounded her were eyeing the empire for weakness. She shared Havel’s concern of a crusade being called, meaning wasting resources such as manpower on internal strife only offered a greater target. If nothing else, wars of expansion denied lands to their enemies. Nothing was gained from fighting within the empire.

The money was paid and the war ended, though at a cost outside of just money. It set a precedent that if a vassal was to revolt, then they could just demand to be paid off in coin or favours. The payment was a short-term solution that would introduce a long-term problem. Still, the fact her demand was not outright rejected does suggest there was some respect for her word.

1646579900660.png

The support was far more concrete within the Elder Council. They had barely been consulted for their rubber stamp in the election of Wojslawa and the selection of her heir, though they were still a measurement of overall support for the Empress. The council was mostly composed of shamans and all came out in open support of Wojslawa, speaking in public and spreading word of their approval. They certainly had a vested interest in keeping their spiritual liege happy anyway and Wojslawa’s reputation, alongside that of her father’s, would keep them towing the line.

1646579958275.png

Even with the (relative) support of her vassals so far, the Empress would face a problem that could not be simply threatened into submission. In Febuary 1210, her half-brother Snowid, who Havel had put on the throne of Pomerania, declared victory in his war against Sweden.

The Empire’s neighbour across the Baltic Sea had been steadily declining in power and not due to any direct intervention on it’s part. Sweden had faced a series of weak kings, encroachment from all sides, Danes and Finnish alike and the general discourse that such turmoil brought. It had become so dire, that they had lost the capital of Uppland in 1208, which sounded the death knell to its neighbours.

King Snowid of Pomerania had been one of the first to hear this bell and jumped at the chance. He had done so in Havel’s reign. though this was when Havel’s health was deteriorating and unable or uninterested in meaningfully acting on the move. The former was more likely, as for all his strengths, he had set another precedent - that of holy war.

To go to war required a reason, a casus beli, as it was known. Minor border disputes and raiding were common in a time before borders were set in stone, but to seize sizable portions of land needed something more concrete. Swietopelk had laid claim to the throne of Poland through familial ties. Wratislaw had mostly dealt with wars within his borders and raiding. Havel however, through the reformation of the Slavic Faith, had then conquered vast tracts of lands on the sole basis that victory empowered the Gods and there could be no better reason. He had encouraged his vassals to do the same; Theologically to empower the Gods, pragmatically to cement support for the new religion.

This had allowed him the moral and legal justification to found his empire. In turn, it allowed his vassals to justify through the same means. Once individual vassals could muster the resources to launch a full-scale invasion, then those on the borders of the Empire were spoilt for choice. This in turn increased their own power (upon success), promoted further invasions when allowed and in turn their potential threat to their liege. All the while, there was no way for the Velky Vohlv, the spiritual leader of the Slavic Faith, to prevent expansion through this cause and not damage their own authority.

It was for this reason that Empress Wojslawa would declare her own holy war, seperate from the actions of her half-brother, to secure land in her own name and win some glory. Although the conquest would not be her biggest focus, for the 'Lady of Morana' would prove herself a devout student.

1646580020010.png

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I have to say aggressive vassals are pagan realms greatest weapon and weakness. They can really grow the realm, but that also allows talented vassals to amass power and threaten the monarch. I'll be curious to see how Poland navigates these problems, especially since the threat of Crusades are always hanging over them.

Reactions:
Aggressive vassals are a recipe to success for strong realms. Big Parent prevents revenge against the children. Also lessens the effect of def. paths against the parent. Thank you for updating
Thank you for reading! I did make sure to have defensive pacts turned on to make expansion less blobby, which then makes vassal expansion desirable and cause issues down the line. I know that in bigger empires, the borders of duchies and kingdoms can be very... messy.
I have to say aggressive vassals are pagan realms greatest weapon and weakness. They can really grow the realm, but that also allows talented vassals to amass power and threaten the monarch. I'll be curious to see how Poland navigates these problems, especially since the threat of Crusades are always hanging over them.
Thank you for reading! A pagan realm will always be at risk of Crusades and I think the Crusade system weighs heavily towards the Catholic side. The use of vassals to grow the realm is vital, but at the same time it means keeping them happy and the risk of rebellion. When a realm gets big enough, more problems can be cause by interal strife than external. The curse of empire as seen throughout history.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I also do apologise for the double post, but wished to say some words of thanks to everyone. And with the end of the Trinity and the first ‘chapter’, I figure this would be a good time to pause and reflect.

When I first started out this AAR, it really was just a case of having an idea bouncing in my head and getting it out on paper was therapy. I enjoy writing, but was nervous in sharing it openly. Before this AAR, I had not used this account for much else other than to lurk and silently read.

I did not expect such a positive and sizeable response to the work. I don’t think I’ll be publishing anytime soon, but my expectations were that as long as I had fun and a few people found it more enjoyable that watching paint dry, then that was a success.

Of course, the feedback has been FAR better than that. I didn’t set out to win awards or be nominated for things, but I was. Now with over 10k views and closing on 300 comments, my expectations have been blasted out the water.

There have been mistakes, I’ve lost data and I still find the odd spelling error months after the fact, but I’ve been having fun doing it - which is the main thing.

So, whether you silently read and then go about your day or take the time out of it to comment and like, I want to offer everyone a big thank you so far. The story is not over yet and while there will be more mistakes and challenges to come, I’m constantly learning and willing to get this story to completion. It would be a disservice to myself and to all of you it dropped it now.

The Gryfia Empire has been a pet project of mine and it shall continue, for all the support and advice and attention, I thank you all.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Doing a catch up of the last couple of episodes - have had a very busy last few weeks. Congrats on the various recent awards and recognition. Very thoroughly deserved.

Had to quickly comment on Havel’s apotheosis. Will read the next couple of instalments soon.

Havel would remain bedridden for nearly a year.
What a tough old thing he was. Death would have been thoroughly exhausted by the time he finally chased Havel down!
A curious tale, indeed… was it a good chapter?”

Bodhan took a pillow, not knowing the meaning behind the words and then smothered his liege.
Yes, it was. ;) Nicely played with the intrigue around his ending.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Velky Volhv Wojslawa of the Gryfita Empire - The Stargazer (1210-1213)
Velky Volhv Wojslawa of the Gryfita Empire - The Stargazer (1210-1213)

'If she could exist within this realm and that of the stars, I feel she would pay any price asked' - Exerpt taken from the writings of a scholar accompanying Empress Wojslawa to Gotland, circa 1210.

Even as Empress Wojslawa was overseeing the siege of the beleaguered island of Gotland, she found time to stargaze.

She had not only brought the expected retinue of warriors and servants, but also astrologers and scholars to aid her own studies. We are not quite sure where this fondness for astrology came from, however her commitment to the field was unquestionable. Wojslawa is reported to have spent many a late night observing the stars, taking notes in her tent and consulting with these experts. They themselves note the impressive knowledge that the Empress had, as well as having the desire to learn more.

1647184725757.png

To state the obvious, sieges are not normally a time to have your head turned towards the stars. The siege of Gotland was an exception, for they encountered virtually no resistance and no direct response from Sweden was forthcoming. The loss of the capital and the opportunistic land grabs had not put the kingdom in any position to meaningfully react. The seizure of the Smaland adjacent to Gotland and the sea lanes meant supply was not an issue. It would only take time, which is something Wojslawa for now, had plenty of.

1647184768811.png

The siege would last for around 8 months and for the besiegers, being able to be supplied so easily meant it was a lax affair. So lax in fact, that Wojslawa even ordered for some of her own tomes to be brought from the capital and to her tent. It was slowly turning into more of a researching opportunity than a siege, of which she was taking full advantage of.

While the writings within the Red Manuscript largely cease with the death of Havel, we still have excerpts from individuals. Perhaps through the manuscript, a sort of culture arose of keeping personal notes and histories, which in turn is a boon for us historians. In this instance, we have access to some of her research upon astrology and the nature of the stars, alongside her own views and additions on the matter. Astrology is outside the purview of this book and the details are largely irrelevant, so her notes will not be covered in any detail. What is more interesting is some of the questions she asks herself, such as how the stars move, what forces act upon them and the one she devotes the most time to, do they indeed revolve around the Earth? Fascinating and (in some ways) dangerous questions.

1647185298459.png

As fascinating as this must have been, there was a war to fight. A token force did arrive to relieve the siege of Gotland, but by the time they arrived in Tjust just before the start of 1211, they saw the force of 11000 men ready to contest a crossing and promptly decided against it. Gotland fell on the 1 January, 1211 and King Olaf was forced to cede yet more territory, gaining Wojslawa her foothold in the frozen north.

There was a question as to what to do with the new conquest. The seizure of Gotland had not been made with reckless abandon, for Wojslawa knew of its potential value, as did others. It would lead to the first instance of the merchant class petitioning the ruler of the Gryfita Empire, for it was quite the prize. Gotland was in a central location within the Baltic Sea between the Gryfita Empire, Sweden and Finland and thus primed to act as a valuable trading post between all three. Trade with the expanding Finnish Kingdom of Suomi had proven to be lucrative and had since expanded to include other goods, mostly fur and leather skins. With Sweden collapsing, access to metals like copper and iron were not out of the question. Whatever the view of the majority of Europe on the Gryfita Empire, they were in possession of goods that many would overlook religious stigma for.

When Wojslawa had announced her invasion, five prominent merchant families almost immediately sent petitions to be granted the land, promising what could generously be called gifts, or realistically as bribes, in return for the grant of land. Even in the conflict and upheaval we have seen thus far, there were those who profited from it in one way or another. The Empress was more focused on her own studies and did not give an answer straight away. She notes her annoyance in the frequency of the letters and later anger, as she found out that the five families had been engaged in open brawls and fighting while she was away back on the mainland. Unrest was not something she could tolerate and so upon her return, she summoned the patriarchs of the families to her castle to dictate how the grant would work.

Wojslawa would have known that the merchants could manage the land better and bring in a bounty of wealth, but also knew they needed to be kept in check. Thus, she decreed that Gotland was to be a republic.

Do not think this as a modern day democracy, but rather akin to Venice. The five families would elect a ‘Grand Mayor’ from amongst themselves and be tasked with securing trade within the Baltic and beyond for the Empire. Taxes were to be paid, troops were to be provided and loyalty was to be ensured, whoever was elected. The five families agreed, which then led Wojslawa to using a novel idea for picking who got to be the first Grand Mayor.

She had the names of each of the families written on parchment and arranged in hat. She then simply picked a name at random and said that any who disagreed were welcome to leave and nominate another merchant family to take their place. It was a subtle attempt at enforcing her own authority in the matter and so, the selection of Jaroslaw of Gotland as the first Grand Mayor was set in stone.

1647185638370.png

Back within her borders after an almost leisurely siege, the Empress would return to her own studies, court and duties within the Champions of Perun. The lodge was now quite prominent in noble society and whose power would wax and wane over time as with any institution. It was in it’s prime during the reign of Havel and Wojslawa and showed some hints about the change in societal views.

Wojslawa had been an almost lifelong member and had garnered a reputation, both good and bad. In March 1211, she would end up winning a duel against another fellow member and vassal High Chief Spytko. She had won the duel easily, which was no surprise. What was a surprise was then Spytko asking for advice on how to improve his skill. Even she was taken aback by this, but agreed to spar with him on occasion. The two, despite being of different gender and rank, would become good friends over the years. For a man to be asking a woman for fighting advice would have been unheard of a century ago, but within the Lodge there was no lord or vassal, only brother and sister. It was a surprising show of marital equality, which Wojslawa herself would see time and time again in her future.

1647187228399.png

It was a kind gesture, but she still was the child of Havel, who few dared to get truly angry. Her merciless nature would also come out later in life, though in December 1211 we would get our first hint of it during her reign.

Few today would remember that Wojslawa had given birth to a bastard daughter. Little is known other than it being a dalliance from her early years in the Champions of Perun, but her origin does not matter. Her name was Wszebora and she would approach her mother in her observatory, strewn with even more notes, to make a misguided request.

Many knew of Wojslawa’s studies into the stars and even with the example above, there was still a general stigma against women, however powerful, taking part in such scholarly pursuits. There also seemed to have been rumblings of heresy, which we will discuss a little further down the line. It was this latter reason that her daughter approached her and implored her to cease her studies into the cosmos, less she damage the position of Velky Vohlv.

This was unwise.

Wojslawa reportedly flew into a rage. We do not know what was said in the observatory, but the growing number of court officials give vivid accounts of her personally dragging Wszebora by the hair and throwing her out of the castle, barring her from ever returning. For a daughter to question an elder was one thing. For a bastard daughter to question an elder was a whole other level of disrespect. There would be more grumblings about her studies in the future, but they would not be said to the face of the Empress after that display.

1647187309085.png

She was indeed the Great Priest of the Slavic Faith, which meant she held significant power over spiritual matters. This included the induction of certain individuals as ‘Venerated Ancestors’, which were the equivalent to saints in Catholicism. Wratislaw had stated that all should venerate their own ancestors as is right, but there would be those who exhibit an exceptional degree of holiness and piety who would be deserving of veneration outside of their familial ancestors.

It’s not hard to see where he drew inspiration from. It was not a simple case of just plagiarism, for saints had their value in solidifying belief. If there were those pious enough to be deemed venerated ancestors, then it proved the Slavic Faith could inspire such fervent devotion that individuals would dedicate their lives to represent it. The first would be King Sedizimir of Galicia-Volyina, known better then as ‘the Old’ and now ‘the Great’.

1647187569674.png

‘The Old’ was appropriate. Blessed Sedizmir, as is his official title, died aged 78 in March 1212. Being born in 1134, he had been born just before Swietopelk III’s invasion of Cumania in 1137 and at some point was converted to paganism, with sources not sure when. He had then been active in the Wratislawian Councils and had been a proponent of reform from the start, being one of the few to support Wratislaw right from the get-go. This put him in the good books of Wratislaw and by extension Havel, who saw fit to grant him a dukedom and later a kingdom upon his reformation of Poland into the Gryftia Empire. He had been given a free-hand to conquer and did exactly that, for much of the expansion of the western border of the Empire outside Lithuania had been by his hand.

He was a noted scholar, poet and warrior - fighting many a battle personally and losing an eye and leg in the ordeal. The loss of his leg ended his warring, but accelerated his efforts into literature. A kind and generous man, yet a gifted combatant and loyal vassal - everything an emperor could ask for. Much like with The Trinity, totems and shrines to Sedizmir and future Blessed Ancestors would become common as a way to show respect and request favor.

1647187622050.png

Shortly after the celebrations, there would be cause for more celebration. Upon the death of the Hero elected after Havel, Wojslawa was elected as the new ‘Heroine’. It was yet another position of power given to her and it is safe to say she was one of the most powerful women in Europe at the time. It caused a degree of shock to her neighbors, for understandable reasons.

There was historical precedent for empresses, even if rare. The more famous ones include the wife of Aurellian Ulpa Servina, the last Pharaoh Cleopatra and wife of Justinian the Great, Empress Theodora, who I do encourage you to all research in your own time. What mattered, is that there was an acceptance that female rulers of power did crop up.

There was zero precedent of a female equivalent of a Pope or Caliph.

Women did hold official power as nuns within covenants or unofficially as mystics, but none would hold the power that Wojslawa held. She was Empress, Pope and now Heroine. It caused no end of ridicule from outside the borders, with some surviving wood carvings distributed amongst villages being less than flattering, though that did little to harm her within her own borders.

1647187674684.png

Wojslawa did have another advantage in her pedigree. Being the appointed heir of such a legendary and popular figure as Havel meant that few were willing to openly object to her succession. The past glories of her father and his own forebears gave her quite the long coattails to ride on, but we see that same ambitious streak Havel had shine through. For she would prove not to be content with focusing on her ancestor’s accomplishments.

To secure her own prestige, she would commission the creation of a massive statue of herself. This was to be placed on a hill outside the capital, with the intent of it being visible both from the Sanctuary of the Gods and from Plonsk. The statue would require a huge investment of money and resources, as well as many skilled craftsmen. It is a sign that the capital of the Empire had rapidly developed into a bustling center of both skill and trade, with religious discontent largely quelled.

The statue would be commissioned in March 1212 and be finished in 1222. While it has gone through numerous refurbishments, it still stands to this day. The completed statue would stand at 40m tall, making it one of the tallest statues in the medieval world and perhaps the tallest statue of a woman in the medieval world at that. The statue was modeled so that Wojslawa would be looking back towards the capital, a hand out towards it, with the other holding a sword pointed towards the border. Like much art, there tended to be propaganda message behind it’s creation and this message was apparent - Empress Wojslawa was a caring guide, willing to offer compassion to her people and war to those who would seek to do them harm.

1647187740472.png

1647187993062.png

'The modern version of the monument constructed by Empress Wojslawa. The original would not be made out of solid material like concrete and had originally been made mostly of wood. It received maintenance up until the modern day and the process of having it rebuilt was an infamous logistical and political quagmire.'

Did the average peasant or merchant really care about this extravagant construction? Probably not, though it was meant to display the wealth and power she had to her vassals. To exalt her family’s power and portray an image of power and respect, to prove that they could achieve greatness.

It is a pity then, that Wanko would risk damaging that image.

1647187795480.png

• 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Doing a catch up of the last couple of episodes - have had a very busy last few weeks. Congrats on the various recent awards and recognition. Very thoroughly deserved.

Had to quickly comment on Havel’s apotheosis. Will read the next couple of instalments soon.

What a tough old thing he was. Death would have been thoroughly exhausted by the time he finally chased Havel down!

Yes, it was. ;) Nicely played with the intrigue around his ending.
Thank you reading! There is certainly no rush, the writings are not going anywhere and IRL always comes first. I thank you and congratulate you in turn!

Oh Havel was tough, I was surprised just how long he lasted, probably one of the longer lived characters, for he had stacked up a lot of health modifiers. Fitting really. As for the intrigue, I figured it would make sense for even his death to have a legend - and what good is a influential person without a good 'last words' quote? :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wanko is not exactly the brightest light that Wojslawa sees when she studies the night sky. But there needs to be periods of cloudiness, to better appreciate the majesty of the night sky. Thank you for the update.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The new Empress got off to a steady start, though I did notice she has cancer, which could shorten her tenure, making her a bit of a stopgap ruler.
Aggressive vassals are a recipe to success for strong realms. Big Parent prevents revenge against the children. Also lessens the effect of def. paths against the parent. Thank you for updating
The best way (in my experience limited to just one, though long-played game as a reformed pagan empire) is that the best way to balance the ambitious border lords, to gain the benefit of their expansions without being too threatened by the, seems to be using conquests, building and legal reforms to ensure a very strong crown demesne that isn’t whittled down on succession and the tricky period that can follow. The factions never get big enough to be a threat and if there is a fight (due to disobedience rather than factional revolt) it should be fairly easily won. Though it can take a while to get there, of course.
Thank you for reading! I did make sure to have defensive pacts turned on to make expansion less blobby, which then makes vassal expansion desirable and cause issues down the line. I know that in bigger empires, the borders of duchies and kingdoms can be very... messy.

Thank you for reading! A pagan realm will always be at risk of Crusades and I think the Crusade system weighs heavily towards the Catholic side.
Do you have access to the Great Holy War with the reformed Slavic faith? Though there aren’t the other Slavic realms around to respond to a call, some vassals might send their contingents to help.
I still find the odd spelling error months after the fact
Don’t we all! I find them years later sometimes, even after a number of reviews or re-readings. :D
I’m constantly learning and willing to get this story to completion. It would be a disservice to myself and to all of you it dropped it now.
It would be excellent to see this played through and written up. Now on to the latest chapter …

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ooh, I can see how Wanko's a...perfect heir.
Thank you for reading! Alas, I did try but RNG decided otherwise xD
Havel: I need my new heir to not be bad
Wojslawa upon seeing Wanko come of age: *eye twitch*

Wanko is not exactly the brightest light that Wojslawa sees when she studies the night sky. But there needs to be periods of cloudiness, to better appreciate the majesty of the night sky. Thank you for the update.
Thank you for reading! And aptly put. I know nothing about astrology but it seems an interesting field, as for Wanko, well we will just have to see how this all goes...

Hey, maybe the empire will get lucky and Wanko will die before Wojslawa. Not likely, considering that she has cancer, but you never know.
Thank you for reading! Yep, it does seem like poor Wojslawa suffers just as her grandfather did, now it's just a case of seeing how the RNG plays out.

The new Empress got off to a steady start, though I did notice she has cancer, which could shorten her tenure, making her a bit of a stopgap ruler.

The best way (in my experience limited to just one, though long-played game as a reformed pagan empire) is that the best way to balance the ambitious border lords, to gain the benefit of their expansions without being too threatened by the, seems to be using conquests, building and legal reforms to ensure a very strong crown demesne that isn’t whittled down on succession and the tricky period that can follow. The factions never get big enough to be a threat and if there is a fight (due to disobedience rather than factional revolt) it should be fairly easily won. Though it can take a while to get there, of course.

Do you have access to the Great Holy War with the reformed Slavic faith? Though there aren’t the other Slavic realms around to respond to a call, some vassals might send their contingents to help.

Don’t we all! I find them years later sometimes, even after a number of reviews or re-readings. :D

It would be excellent to see this played through and written up. Now on to the latest chapter …
Thank you for reading! The cancer is a concern, but with any luck that constitution of Havel passed down to her.

I do agree with that summary. I find the best tactic, espeically for the longer term games, is to pick a core duchy with lots of holding slots and invest heavily into that demesne. Capital counties get a huge bonus to levy size and the other counties in that duchy get slightly less sizeable boosts. Best to build as many castles as you can, especially in the capital county. Combine that with at least a couple powerful vassals who don't hate you and you'll be deemed too powerful for rebel factions to push demands.

You do! Only reformed religions with the 'Peaceful' nature don't have access to them. It's just at the moment there's no way to win a bout like that. At least with Crusades I have my defensive pagan boosts.

I fully intend to carry this on all the way through. I have toyed with making it a megacampaign, but that is very far in the future for now. I'm just having fun with the game and with setting some limits on myself for a change. The AI vassals, espeically in pagan realms, will blob up eventually, but it's nice to have some constraint to make sure there is still challenge.

• 1Like
Reactions:
To exalt her family’s power and portray an image of power and respect, to prove that they could achieve greatness.

It is a pity then, that Wanko would risk damaging that image.
Uh oh, Wanko looks like a poorly qualified candidate, other than being a competent enough soldier. Not the stuff of legends. Might a hunting accident follow, for the good of the dynasty?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Uh oh, Wanko looks like a poorly qualified candidate, other than being a competent enough soldier. Not the stuff of legends. Might a hunting accident follow, for the good of the dynasty?
Thank you again! The RNG Gods were truly against me, but we shall see where the story takes us, It's not like the dynasty has past with silently killing off enemies :p Alas, history has often proved that greatness is not hereditary...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Velky Volhv Wojslawa of the Gryfita Empire - The Astrologer (1213-1215)
Velky Volhv Wojslawa of the Gryfita Empire - The Astrologer (1213-1215)
'It behooves us to look to the stars to better understand the world upon which we were created. Ignorance leads to immorality' - The opening line of 'On the Nature of Earth and the Cosmos’, published in 1213.

Wanko would officially come of age in January 1213 and the results of his education had been decidedly mixed. Evidence suggests that he had excelled in his studies of warfare, on par even with Havel’s understanding of the art at the same age. Already, he was showing signs of being an accomplished general. The issue was his character.

Despite his achievements, Wanko would quickly garner himself a less than stellar reputation. Much like his departed eldest brother, Wanko was a notorious glutton. It was also noted how slow not only in physical speed, but in his mental capacity for anything outside of warfare. He seemed to have no interest in anything other than food and fighting, which could be portrayed at least slightly positively.

What could not, was his complete lack of faith in the Gods.

Wanko would openly dismiss the presence of the deities that he himself was supposed to represent on Earth. He would mock his shaman, not hiding his opinion that the new religion created by his ancestors had been made so his family could seize power. It had been Havel’s own will that allowed him to achieve so much, Wraitslaw’s intelligence and Swietopelk III’s cunning. There were kernels of truth in these statements, though we will sidestep that debate.

What mattered was that to Wojslawa, this would have been completely unacceptable and the punishments Wanko’s tongue would get him were severe. It had been Havel’s command to have Wanko inherit, but even he could not have foreseen how cynical his son would turn out. Thus, the seeds of discontent were sown.

Another more positive sign would be the quick expansion of the Gotland Republic. In two short years the fledgling domain within the Empire had seen construction of trading posts all along the Baltic Sea. Most of this was internal trading, but there were some of these ports being constructed in Denmark, a decidedly Christian kingdom. The most lucrative trade was conducted in the Mediterranean, but as mentioned there were plenty of valuables that could be sold in the area and plenty of people, on a local scale anyway, who would overlook the religious belief of those selling them. The families would often compete amongst themselves to generate the most income, which in turn increased the expansion of trading - the joys of a competitive and lucrative market.

1647807712754.png

This proved to be very profitable for the merchant families and for the Empress, who received a sizable increase of tax revenue from all of this. With the financial state of the Empire seen to, she was given plenty of time to pursue her passion for astrology and scholarship. From around June 1213 until December 1213, she would spend what free time she could create within her observatory. She would consult scholars, take meals within the room and even rumours of her sleeping there prevailed. She was turning out to be as dedicated as her father.

1647807774955.png

This dedication would result in the creation of a stunning piece of work. On 22 December 1213, she would publish the culmination of her work in astrology, ‘On the Nature of Earth and the Cosmos’. In the volume, of which modern copies can still be found, she would draw upon two conclusions: That the Earth was round and that it revolves around the Sun.

Now, I do not wish to go into an in-depth analysis on the work, as like many items surrounding the Gryftia dynasty - entire sections of books can be dedicated to them. Rather, I would explore the reaction of those who would encounter this volume and touch upon the feelings of ‘heresy’ that got Wszebora banished.

The first point is that this volume would not see wide circulation until the invention of the printing press in the 16th century. As we have touched upon, books come with a princely cost few could afford. It would cause quite the stir when it was distributed en masse, but all that mattered to most was her proclamation of the conclusions. These were far easier to distribute through word of mouth compared to an entire essay, so most reacted based solely on these statements, rather than seeing any kind of evidence.

The result? The expected condemnation and turned heads from those outside the Empire. The notion that the Earth was round had been explored by Christian scholars before, but the notion of heliocentrism (that the Earth revolved around the Sun) had largely not.

This is due to the general acceptance of Ptolemaic Geocentrism. It is important to note that the Bible does explicitly teach the theory that the Sun revolves around the Earth, rather scripture was quoted (as it often is in medieval sources) to support it. The Bible does not teach geocentrism just as The Legends does not teach heliocentrism. Simply, it was the accepted fact by scholars of the time and it is hard to overstate how conservative medieval society was.

Combine this with religion and scholarship often being entwined and the conclusions of a pagan woman, whatever merits may have existed within the work, were quickly discounted. If anything, it would only solidify belief in the geocentric system as now there was a perceived religious siding between the two methods.

Even among her own priests there were murmurings of displeasure. This was probably due to that conservatism, even within a society that was relatively tolerant towards different genders. As Wojslawa did use religious texts and the studies of those of another faith in her work, it did sour her findings in the eyes of many. When I say relatively tolerant, remember that the bar at time to be considered ‘tolerant’ was not particularly high.

1647807820596.png

It was a bold move to be so open about her findings, so she would follow this up with a bold way to quickly shore up support - war. At the start of 1214, she would invade the lands of Estonia, a small tribal kingdom to the Empire’s north and Riga, another smaller tribe. The reasons (aside from religious fervor) were to secure the borders from reading and to expand their access to the Baltic Sea. The Suomi in modern-day Finland had proven to be effective trading partners, so easing access to that valuable income would prove profitable.

1647807871165.png

As she prepared to march out at the head of an army, which was still a little scandalous, another project of hers reached completion. Just as her forebears had done, she had erected a monument to her patron goddess, Morana. It was not near the scale of her statue overlooking Plock and it does not survive to this day, being made of simple wood, but it was another sign of her devotion to the Goddess. With her previous publication and the construction of this monument, the early months of 1214 is when we start to hear the moniker of ‘Lady of Morana’ being spoken in sources, though whether this was a jab akin to ‘sweet valkyrie’ or born of admiration was not yet clear.

1647807928666.png

As she marched into Riga, she was still issuing commandments. Whatever her thoughts of Wanko, she arranged for him to marry one of her own daughters from her previous marriage. This was an instance of consanguinity, as both newlyweds shared a common ancestor in Havel, though this was hardly uncommon at the time. The reason was the character of the bride, Pechna. She was reportedly a zealous and stubborn woman, who it was hoped would force Wanko to change his ways. A cunning tactic and one that had a proven track record of working in history.

1647808000863.png

The conquest of Riga and Estonia would be seen too without issue. The days of tribal confederations posing a challenge had long since passed thanks largely to her father’s actions. The campaign would take around a year to complete, with only two major battles. The first, the Battle of Talva in February 1215, would be a crushing victory as expected. It’s worth mentioning comes from the increasing amount of battlefield sources we see after Havel’s death.

Swietopelk III had his fair share of battlefield accounts, but Havel had popularised it within the Gryfita line. In the effort to build his own legend, he had made a habit of bringing scholars and what could only be described as accountants, to tally the number killed or captive. With the slowly growing bureaucracy, it meant that writings either first hand or close to first hand accounts of these battlefield scholars began to collate.

For instance, from the Battle of Talva we learn that the Empress had brought a number of female recruits from the Champions of Perun to the campaign with her. She was also the Heroine, so was more than within her right to do this. This was not for the sake of anything other than training and one scholar recalls overhearing Wojslawa speaking to one of these female recruits.

The recruit had the courage to ask if the rumours of her father drinking from the skulls of his enemies were true. This highlights the degree of almost mysticism that Havel had surrounded himself with, if such rumours were already being disseminated and discussed. Allegedly, the Empress put an arm around her and loudly proclaimed that not only was it true that he did, it was also true that he had a secret chamber within to bathe in their blood. The recruit turned pale, Wojslawa laughed, and the pair walked off. To stress - no evidence of such a pool has been found. We know he did keep a collection of skulls and perhaps this is where the rumours spread from. Even in death, or because of it, Havel’s legend would not be soon forgotten.

1647808054027.png

These scholars also provide vital insight on how Wojslawa handled herself in battle. The answer should not surprise you, for she was already a seasoned soldier for most of her life, even if she had little tactical experience. What was important was that she was willing to learn, just as her father was. Upon her return and even during the campaign, she would begin to take notes not on the stars, but on stratagem. As some may already know, this learning would be tested thoroughly in the future.

1647808106164.png

Lesser known was that there was consistent evidence that Wojslawa had been suffering from similar symptoms as her grandfather, Wratislaw. She was most likely suffering from a form of bowel cancer herself, which would have been just as treatable as it was with her ancestor, which is to say not at all. In this case, there seemed to be a saving grace. Once she had returned from the campaign, notes and sources pertaining to her illness vanished. This could be simply bad luck on our part, though many argue that this was a sign that her suspected cancer was benign. If true, then it meant that Wojslawa managed to avoid suffering the same agony that had befallen Wratislaw.

1647808226661.png

Her capacity for violence was far more apparent. She led from the front with her own personal retinue at the other major battle, the Battle of Novgorod in May 1215. Yet another victory, with the Empress returning to her tent of commanders with the head of a seasoned warrior of the Suomi tribe, Thunderheart still red with his blood. A powerful statement to any who would contest the value of a woman on the battlefield.

1647808288084.png

With the destruction of both armies, the Chief of Riga and King of Estonia had little course but to surrender their lands, effectively neutering any threat they could pose to the Gryfita Empire and providing an example of what would happen if they did. Unreformed paganism within Europe was on its last legs, to be replaced with a reformed pagan faith. The Empire had largely achieved what the Catholic nations to their west wished to do, until Swietopelk III threw that into chaos. There is historical humour somewhere in there, I am sure.

1647808484619.png

But what would come in November 1215 would remove any doubt of the longevity of the Slavic Faith.

1647808839555.png

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I didn't know you could recover from cancer. I guess the gods really do favor the Gryfitas! Now if only Wanko will make something of himself...
Thank you for reading! I think there is a chance, but I had never seen the event before now. The Gods favor Wojslawa indeed - perhaps after that piece of astrology work, Morana decided to step in a bit.

• 1Like
Reactions: