• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In September 1376, the new leader of the Holy Order, Warchief Gniewosz, formally declared the Warriors of Perun independent of imperial control.
The theological implications of this are fascinating. One of the most prominent institutions of the Slavic Church just declared itself no longer in obedience to the head of the Slavic Church because said head was unfit to lead. I can't imagine how they avoided at least a bit of a schism. An anti-velky volhv? But I guess they managed to pin enough of the blame on Strasz himself to avoid any institutional consequences.

Reactions:
The theological implications of this are fascinating. One of the most prominent institutions of the Slavic Church just declared itself no longer in obedience to the head of the Slavic Church because said head was unfit to lead. I can't imagine how they avoided at least a bit of a schism. An anti-velky volhv? But I guess they managed to pin enough of the blame on Strasz himself to avoid any institutional consequences.
Maybe the Slavic Church was similar enough to their Christian counterparts that only canon laws passed by church councils have a binding effect on its sub-units. Not that church councils are a thing in either CK2 or 3, but still, where gameplay fails, the storyteller steps in.

Well done @Superstorm . Your historian has given us quite the balanced review of the life of Strasz, a complicated and complex subject indeed. Looking forward to the tales of the new empress.
Thank you for reading! I do try and play the character as balanced.

There is a new sheriff in town. Her name is Katarzyna. Her subjects need to fall in line. Strasz has been released from his demons to fly the night skies with the wise ones. Thank you for humanizing a man who many consider a monster.
Thank you for reading. He was actually a pretty damn good ruler all things considered, if only he hadn't of had that botched surgery. From there, his mental state only got worse to the point of madness.

A rather bitter blow. As both a temporal and spiritual leader, having the personal service of the applicable pagan holy order is a benefit for both internal power balances and in times of external war against non-believers. A canary in the coal mine moment.
Thank you for reading! I had never actually seen that event until now but it made so much sense that I adapated it into the story. Vassalising the holy order basically lets you raise them for free without piety costs, which is very powerful, but no longer.
He tried to fly off into a more sudden and even graceful exit, but failed at that too, in the end. A sad end for a once-formidable ruler.
A sad end and while there are no good ways to go, rabies is perhaps up there with the worst.
The harbingers of coming decline are increasing in pace. An era ends for Strasz and it seems for the Empire more widely. It will be interesting to see how it goes over these final decades. Game wise, is this something you’ve already played through to the end and are retelling as history? It sounds so from the foreshadowing of the coming Twenty Years War.
Correct, I have played up until 1402 and when the story 'ends'. I'll likely make a separate post before the final chapter but I originally intended for this to be contained within CK2. The game is very easy to snowball in and it gets to a point, like with Strasz, that you become unstoppable save from invading China - the game becomes a painting exercise then. I've done a few pagan games and every time you can GHW for England and win, the game is over - the levies you get and the launch pad it offers is just too good.

So I did want there to be drama and dismemberment of the empire without it all coming crashing down. However I am likely wanting to port this over to EU4 and take the empire onwards. Both because it's another game I love, history I love and I have been having fun with this project. (As slow as I am lol) So I want to give myself a challenge.

However, making the map and game behave itself is painful in CK2 - so I am thinking of having the Twenty Years War be less gameplay and more historical narrative. Basically, setting the scene for EU4 and meaning I don't have to wrestle with the AI, but just make the map at the end. What do people think about that? Same style of writing, just basically with more 'historical' images and maps of the various countries at war. I would still aim for there to be a conclusion for those not interested of course, but set the stage for those who would be interested in following on.

Very strong historical storytelling, as always.
That's very kind of you. I always worry about my quality dropping or being consistent and it's always refreshing to hear and see people enjoy my work.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What do people think about that?
I think that would be a presentation that plays to your strengths. I really like your prose.
I am also interested in how, despite the empire's collapse, previous chapters hint at the survival of the family. A historical narrative would make presenting the answer easier, methinks.

Reactions:
I totally missed this, thank you for reading!

Honestly that does sound like a really interesting take to develop on.

I actually have a little list of those 'brief asides' I'd like to write but decided I want to focus on the main story, as I know my brain is very easy to distract lol. Thinking that once we see the end, I may come back and explore these topics every so often.
I think that would be a presentation that plays to your strengths. I really like your prose.
I am also interested in how, despite the empire's collapse, previous chapters hint at the survival of the family. A historical narrative would make presenting the answer easier, methinks.
And very fair! Think that may be the route I go then.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I am up to date once more! Facinating as always, the line does seem to be producing worse and worse monarchs as time goes by, although Konrad I of course stands out as the most terrible of all.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am up to date once more! Facinating as always, the line does seem to be producing worse and worse monarchs as time goes by, although Konrad I of course stands out as the most terrible of all.
Thank you for reading and your kind words!

Konrad was actually one of my faves to write, save for perhaps Havel because it was about recovering from a pretty desperate situation (sandwhiched between HRE and Mongols, death of his wife and vassal discontent) and the effects it had on him. While there is a decline, I try to keep the trend a bit bumpy, so you have some good and bad mixed in!

Reactions:
Szaman-Cesarz Katarzyna of the Gryfita Empire - The Unsteady (1380-1381) New
Szaman-Cesarz Katarzyna of the Gryfita Empire - The Unsteady (1380-1381)

"The empire of my ancestors shall not be undone, this I swear." - Katarzyna Gryfita, upon her ascent to the throne as empress, 1381.

Katarzyna Gryfita is often seen as a tragic figure. As hinted at in the last entry on Strasz, she would do much to stabilise the realm after her father's madness, but would ultimately fail to save it from further decline.

On 21 November 1380, she was formally crowned as the second Empress of the Gryfita Empire. Having done much to secure her succession in the last years of her father's life, her ascension was unchallenged. There had been fears that disgruntled members of her family, having failed to secure power through the elders, would take up arms against her. No such challenge ever materialised, which was a relief in itself, but the idea that such a thing was possible was unprecedented up to that point in the Empire's history.

Her first act was to have her father's body cremated and interned, as was customary, but she rather tactfully decided against the royal, public ceremonies of her ancestors. While her own love for her father is well documented, this act suggests that it would have been in poor taste to 'celebrate' him. His ashes were interned with the Sanctuary of the Gods, and few other records would ever mention the man again from that point on. Whether such a fate was deserved or tragic in itself is a matter of personal opinion.

1713117251862.jpeg

With this duty fulfilled, Katarzyna would formally begin her reign as Empress. As always, we will pause here to briefly summarise her life and personality. Her childhood is not well documented, and it is only later in her adult life that she is formally mentioned in records, with increasing frequency as her status as heir apparent became more accepted. The biggest turning point in her historical visibility was when she joined the Champions of Perun in 1374, where she quickly rose through the ranks and became known as a talented warrior. This won her the support of the warriors in the lodge, often nobles themselves, which then trickled down to support from nobles outside the lodge.

As Strasz's condition deteriorated in his later years, she also had the unique advantage of being one of the few people the Emperor would confide in. This began her rise to unofficial heir to the Empire, for although not documented, it is widely believed that she was the power behind the throne when Strasz was mentally incapacitated. Her popularity and cunning gave her soft power, while her martial talents (befitting a daughter of Strasz, some would say) kept others in line.

She had to work behind the scenes to secure her formal appointment to the Elders Council, along with a bribe, but this had the benefit of avoiding civil war or further bloodshed within the Gryfita family. Her willingness to cooperate and her humble nature won her many admirers without her father's use of force, though some would argue that this was her greatest failing.

Nevertheless, her position as empress was secure and she would take steps to further secure it by linking herself to her ancestors, in this case Wojslawa. She was already a devout follower of Morana, the goddess of death, wisdom, medicine and winter, and as is a common tactic in history, associating oneself with a famous relative was an effective way of gaining support. This association would soon prove to be very astute indeed.

1713117399395.jpeg

Despite this, there was an indirect challenge to her authority in early 1381. Her efforts to secure her position had prevented full-scale civil war, but the instability caused by Strasz had not been fully dealt with. Two revolts had broken out in the eastern territories of Novgorod and Chernigov, but these were against their respective rulers rather than the Empress. In both cases, factions within the local courts had erupted into open conflict.

Although these revolts were local and not a direct challenge to Katarzyna, she moved swiftly to deal with them. She demanded that each of the rebel leaders lay down their arms or face punishment, though the response was not what she had hoped for. Each 'demanded' compensation for the loss of face that surrender would bring. One can only imagine how Strasz would have reacted to such a 'request' in his heyday, but she was not her father, nor did she inherit the Empire at the height of its power as he did. The question of her position in relation to her vassals would have to be answered one way or the other for the sake of stability, but at the moment her ability to maintain or increase her power was uncertain. This, combined with the geographical distance of the revolts, made forceful action difficult and a headache she clearly wanted to avoid.

Payments were made to each of the rebel leaders, who then laid down their arms. Peace had been maintained, but at a literal and figurative cost. It did not bode well for imperial power that rebellious vassals could demand peace payments without repercussion, no matter how small the rebellion. When it is said that Katarzyna would do everything right and still fail to halt the decline of the empire, the above is such an instance. War over such a minor internal conflict so early in her reign would have strengthened her authority at the cost of unnerving the nobility, who might see such a move as a threat and attempt to undermine her authority in response. Payment was the sure, if short-term, way of ending the conflict quickly, and even if this in turn damaged her authority, it did so without upsetting her vassals.

1713117475896.jpeg

Kaiser Aldrich, who had come to power within a week of Strasz's death, was intent on reclaiming Bohemia for his own empire and securing his own position. He had formally asked the Pope to declare another crusade against the Gryfita Empire, arguing, correctly, that Katarzyna's ascension would be the most opportune time to strike. This request was denied, with Pope Eugenius arguing, again correctly, that this was an act of opportunism on the part of the Kaiser, who intended to rally the entire Catholic world for his personal benefit rather than for any religious good.

The unofficial reason for this refusal was that the HRE and the Papacy had now been wrestling for centuries over control of religion, politics and investigation, and Pope Eugenius did not want to risk the Kaiser becoming too powerful or popular. The HRE was still the most powerful Christian nation in Europe and although it was tenuous, it had influence across the continent, able to command vast amounts of resources from German, African, Italian and Spanish lands. Moreover, the Black Death had also shaken the previously ironclad control of the Catholic Church, cemented in the previous century by the collapse of the infastrucute and the decemiation of the papal class. Aldrich resented this control and wanted to reverse it. Eugenius did not go so far as to forbid the war, only to 'strongly discourage' it. It was a veiled threat, but it did not deter Aldrich from invading, and the so-called 'Great Conquest of Bohemia' began.

Once again, Bohemia had to be defended. Once again, an Empress would have to deal with an invasion from the Holy Roman Empire. Once again, the armies of the Empire would march with a woman at their head.

1713117697566.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Admit it, you enjoy writing the baddies, that's what's really going on! :cool:
I missed this! Apologies and thank you for reading.

I do think they can be fun to write, if anything it makes a nice change to be a bit more callous and dip into the cold/calculating side.

And sorry for the delay in the update, IRL stuff once more. We have one big war coming up so should be a bit more dramatic in the next post.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A massive war against a peer competitor at the beginning of a new monarch's reign? The coming decline makes a lot more sense now. I hope Katarzyna at least manages to eke out a victory over the Germans, but the loss of a sizeable, valuable but ultimately peripheral territory also fits well in the narrative.

Reactions:
Once again, Bohemia had to be defended. Once again, an Empress would have to deal with an invasion from the Holy Roman Empire. Once again, the armies of the Empire would march with a woman at their head.
Ooh, Imperial Deathmatch: bring it on! :D