[Windows/Steam User] Help required. Accidentally deleted the whole EU4 folder in the Paradox Interactive folder

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hermanndirk

Recruit
Feb 12, 2024
I would like to seek your assistance in recovering the launch files of EU IV.

I am a Steam user, I have accidentally deleted the EU IV related files in the 'Paradox Interactive' folder. Thereafter, I cannot launch the game.

In what ways I could retrieve the files? I have tried to check the integrity of the files, but the problem still persists.

Have you checked if the files are still in your bin ? If they are you can just restore them from there, no harm no foul. Otherwise your best bet is probably to just clean uninstall and reinstall the game.

Allow me to elaborate by adding a photo. This is from HOI4. Normally, EU4 should have a folder similar to this, and I have accidentally deleted the whole folder.
EU4 failed to work afterwards.

Attachments

• 螢幕擷取畫面 2024-02-13 003506.jpg
    螢幕擷取畫面 2024-02-13 003506.jpg
    139,4 KB · Views: 0
Do you have any uninstall utilities i.e. software that will completely wipe all traces of a program from your PC? Try that and then try reinstalling from Steam.

Deleting the folder "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV" won't prevent eu4 from starting. It will just be recreated with the default settings. If eu4 doesn't start, there is some other problem. Did you delete anything else? Can you explain what happens when you try to start eu4 from the steam library?

Reactions:
Hi. Have not tried this yet. Do you have any uninstall utilities that you could recommend using? Thank you.
I personally use IOBit Uninstaller but I've never needed to use it for a game.

Deleting the folder "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV" won't prevent eu4 from starting. It will just be recreated with the default settings. If eu4 doesn't start, there is some other problem. Did you delete anything else? Can you explain what happens when you try to start eu4 from the steam library?
Hi, thank you for your reply. I have only deleted the "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV" only, and I did not tamper with any other file.

This is what I get when I reinstall EU4 in C drive.
螢幕擷取畫面 2024-02-14 004528.jpg

I have also tried to reinstall the file to D drive. I was able to reach the launcher, but still after clicking start I got this:

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 236850 SteamInternal_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561198855866024 [API loaded no]

Could you try starting the launcher with administrator rights? It might be possible you have some security checks activated for that path, and thus the launcher cannot write in it

I have also tried to reinstall the file to D drive. I was able to reach the launcher, but still after clicking start I got this:

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 236850 SteamInternal_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561198855866024 [API loaded no]
That's just a normal startup message. What other error message do you get? And what happens if you start eu4.exe directly?

• 1Like
Reactions: