[Windows 11] Game freezing after running for a short time

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(64990)

Recruit
Jan 24, 2007
Hello - Please see attached dxdiag and logs. Crashes folder was empty.

Since I bought the game a couple days ago, it will semi-randomly freeze after 1-5 minutes of being actually in-game. It doesn't matter if the game is paused or running, but pretty much always occurs right when I hover over something causing a tooltip window to appear by the cursor. Once frozen, I can still move the cursor around but the game is unresponsive and the tooltip stays open. I don't get any error messages, and I have to terminate the process in the task manager.

I already updated drivers, did a proper clean install & verify, and started a new game as Byzantium (lol), and the game crashed within 5 minutes of starting. Performance is otherwise great, especially with shadows disabled (CK3 has never crashed on me in hundreds of hours).

Sometimes when I restart my computer or mess with various settings (desktop resolution, game compatibility settings, or in-game resolution and fullscreen/windowed settings), I will randomly get the game to work great for an hour or two, and then it crashes again. Once it starts crashing, it will keep crashing rapidly until I majorly change the settings again.

I'm stumped, please help, thanks!

Edit: haven't finished the process of elimination yet... but I'm pretty sure one of the DLC's is to blame.

Last edited:
Right click on eu4.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.
Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode.

Then edit the file Documents/paradox/eu4/settings.txt to say:

Vsync=off, refreshRate=60.

Is that any better?

Same for me. After dealing with the craziness of discovering why Vic 3 crashes, the issue I have for EU4 is here coincidentally.

And what if going into EU4.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility isn't possible because Compat doesn't exist as an option?

I tried what you said but the freezing still is there.

Last edited:
And what if going into EU4.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility isn't possible because Compat doesn't exist as an option?
It does exist; most likely you have right clicked on a folder or desktop shortcut, not eu4.exe itself.