• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jackaliery

Private
43 Badges
Mar 30, 2023
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
So, lately my game started crashing at random dates. At first, that it was little to no problem, as i could continue from save without problems and crashes appeared rarely. But few days ago it started crashing every month, so sometimes i cant even unpause game after loading. In last case error.log from crashing is empry.
Already done clean reinstall few times. Disabled mods. Updated graphic driver, directX and etc.

Attachments

• code_revisions.log
    294 bytes · Views: 0
  • error.log
    15,7 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    129,7 KB · Views: 0
  • system_interface.log
    1,3 KB · Views: 0
Did you start the save with game changing mods? Then you must start a new campaign after disabling them, because changing mods in the middle of a campaign is likely to cause problems.
If you have a save in which you never used game-changing mods, can you attach it here?

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.

Did you start the save with game changing mods? Then you must start a new campaign after disabling them, because changing mods in the middle of a campaign is likely to cause problems.
If you have a save in which you never used game-changing mods, can you attach it here?

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.
I used only graphics mods that are ironman compatible.
Even after starting new campain without mods i have same issue.
Here, just created this campain and few month in already crash.
All game files verified, no mods, clean reinstall.

Attachments

• austria.eu4
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    23,7 KB · Views: 0
Here, just created this campain and few month in already crash.
If it crashes so soon in a new campaign, there is most likely something on your system which is causing this, because other people can don't have such problems. Is your disk or the cloud storage which contains your Documents folder maybe full? This could cause eu4 to crash when it fails to write its log files.

clean reinstall.
Did your clean reinstall also include removing the "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV" folder and the folder where the game was installed?

If it crashes so soon in a new campaign, there is most likely something on your system which is causing this, because other people can don't have such problems. Is your disk or the cloud storage which contains your Documents folder maybe full? This could cause eu4 to crash when it fails to write its log files.

Did your clean reinstall also include removing the "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV" folder and the folder where the game was installed?
Harddrive with Documents folder is half empty. OneDrive is turned off.
And yes, i manually deleted that folder.

We don't see any crashes in eu4.exe in that dxdiag; one AppHang is all. I ran that save hands-off for a few game years with no problem at all.

You say it crashes every month, is that when autosaves are happening? If so this maybe your antivirus getting in the way. Make sure eu4.exe is in all its exceptions lists.

We don't see any crashes in eu4.exe in that dxdiag; one AppHang is all. I ran that save hands-off for a few game years with no problem at all.

You say it crashes every month, is that when autosaves are happening? If so this maybe your antivirus getting in the way. Make sure eu4.exe is in all its exceptions lists.
Do i need to runeu4 during dxdiag to trace crash?
And also: Game crashing on random dates, not always after month tick. Game folder already added to exception list.

Do i need to runeu4 during dxdiag to trace crash?
No. dxdiag.txt is just to give me info on your hardware and Windows setup, it doesn't actually fix anything.

Game folder already added to exception list.
It is specifically eu4.exe that you need to add to its exceptions list.

By reading error.log i found more clues. Game crashes few seconds after i open HRE menu and point cursor on any reform.
Same with changing crownland percentage and sending ships to protect trade.

By reading error.log i found more clues. Game crashes few seconds after i open HRE menu and point cursor on any reform.
Same with changing crownland percentage and sending ships to protect trade.
I think that the messages in the error.log are harmless. Everybody gets them and they don't cause crashes for other people. For example "Missing Icon 'crown_land_modifier_icon_5' in window 'countryestatesview'." is because the interface file doesn't specify a location for this icon_5. But the location is not needed, because in the unmodded game crownland can give at most 4 modifiers.

Do you have stability problems in other games? Maybe there is a more fundamental issue on your system.

I see in the dxdiag that you have an ASUS system. Do you have some preinstalled ASUS software which tries to "optimize" games? This kind of software has caused problems with eu4 in other cases. You could try to disable the software for eu4 or completely uninstall it if you don't need it for something else.

I think that the messages in the error.log are harmless. Everybody gets them and they don't cause crashes for other people. For example "Missing Icon 'crown_land_modifier_icon_5' in window 'countryestatesview'." is because the interface file doesn't specify a location for this icon_5. But the location is not needed, because in the unmodded game crownland can give at most 4 modifiers.

Do you have stability problems in other games? Maybe there is a more fundamental issue on your system.

I see in the dxdiag that you have an ASUS system. Do you have some preinstalled ASUS software which tries to "optimize" games? This kind of software has caused problems with eu4 in other cases. You could try to disable the software for eu4 or completely uninstall it if you don't need it for something else.
Harmless or not, but my game still crashes after HRE and estates menu.

No, other games are stable.

No Asus software, except drivers. In case of optimizing software i have only GeForce Expirience.

Harmless or not, but my game still crashes after HRE and estates menu.
Maybe it is a coincidence. Or maybe the crash is more related to writing the error messages than to the errors themselves. But I don't know what could cause a crash from writing the message if the writing itself works.

No Asus software, except drivers.
Have a look in the list of installed software for something which has "game" in its name. It might not directly mention asus and you might not have noticed that it is installed if it runs silently in the background.

You could also try unloading GeForce Experience before starting the game.

You could also try unloading GeForce Experience before starting the game.
Already tried. No luck.
Have a look in the list of installed software for something which has "game" in its name. It might not directly mention asus and you might not have noticed that it is installed if it runs silently in the background.
Nope, nothing like that.

Please install and run the free utility Speccy. Send its output to a text file and attach that here please.

You have an AV app Panda Dome that I've not come across before. Do make sure eu4.exe is in all its exceptions lists, and it is not doing realtime scans of the the Steam/SteamApps/common/Eu4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/Eu4 folders.

Disable the Discord overlay.

I hope one of those does it, as I don't see anything else to cause this to you!

You have an AV app Panda Dome that I've not come across before. Do make sure eu4.exe is in all its exceptions lists, and it is not doing realtime scans of the the Steam/SteamApps/common/Eu4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/Eu4 folders.

Disable the Discord overlay.

I hope one of those does it, as I don't see anything else to cause this to you!
Both folders have already been added to exceprion list. And I have already mentioned, that even with AV turned off problem still exist.
And i never used Discord overlay, so its always off.

Last edited: