• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dur

Paradoxian Collector / Historian
124 Badges
Nov 4, 2009
lamecheck.com
  • For The Glory
Hello! This thread is intended to be a guide to getting EU1 running on Windows 10/11 computers. It was erroneously claimed on the EU 20th anniversary stream today that EU will not run on Windows 10. This is false, and is actually quite easy to remedy.

Getting EU1 to Run on Win10/11
First, you'll need to obtain a copy of the game. This is most easily done through gog.com, and this version forms the basis of the process used in this guide. However, this solution should also work for the old GamersGate version as well as the original CD-ROM releases. (1.00 in Germany and 1.07 in the US)

1. Run the game's installer and install it in whatever location you wish.
  2. Navigate to the game's directory and rename winmm.dll to winmm.dll.bak
  3. Download the WinMM/OGG compatibility library from the link below
  4. Unzip the archive above and move the enclosed winmm.dll file to your EU game directory.
  5. Download the dgVoodoo application from the website below. You'll want to get the latest version, whatever it is
  6. Extract the contents of the dgVoodoo zip file to your desktop or another location that you'll remember.
  7. Within the dgVoodoo folder, head into the MS folder, and then the x86 folder.
  8. Copy the DDraw.dll file into your Europa Universalis game folder.
  9. Navigate back to the base level of the dgVoodoo folder, and run dgVoodooCpl.exe
  10. Change the settings in the General and DirectX tabs to match the screenshots below.

1603214351070.png
    1603214370423.png

11. On the General screen, your graphics card should be selected in the Adapter(s) to use / enable dropdown.
  12. On the DirectX tab, set the Resolution dropdown to whatever your monitor's native resolution is.
  13. Click OK.
  14. Run europa.exe from your EU install directory and enjoy the game!

I am not an expert with graphics APIs or anything like that, but after a few hours of fiddling about I was able to get the game running using the steps above. If you have any questions about this process, please reply and I'll do my best to help you troubleshoot. Also, if you come across any tips or settings that make the game run even better, leave a note and I will update this OP.

Happy gaming, and I hope you enjoy this foundation of the EU series!

eu1.png

EDIT 3/1/21: Updated link for DGVoodoo2 and CD version compatibility
EDIT 1/8/22: Updated topic title and post to reflect Windows 11 compatibility

Last edited: