• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm running 1.05. No other add-ins.

I've never done this before, but I figured it can't be that hard, right? So I got a hex editor. When I copy-n-paste the address (0x00160B64) into the Find option, it says "the pattern was not found".

Not knowing what I'm doing, I tried just 00160B64.

Still not found.

So I go manually. Along the left side I have nice hexi numbers, like:
00160af0
00160b00
00160b10
00160b20
00160b30
00160b40
00160b50
00160b60
00160b70​
with nothing in between.

The whole line is:
"00160b60: cc 65 5d 00 00 00 00 00 8b 55 08 89 15 c4 33 ee" then a bunch of ascii characters.

From reading, it looks like the 00 00 00 00 00 is the windowed mode part. I changed the first 00 to 01. CRASH! The game won't even open. I'm in 16 color mode.

Am I at the right 'location' in the file even? Did I change the right thing? Or am I waaaay off? HELP!

edit: *bump*

Last edited:
Got the patcher, works fine, game runs.

Here's why i'm trying to play in windowed mode: My laptop screen is cracked, and i'm using a pnp monitor as my secondary - the laptop's video card won't let me select anything other than the broken laptop screen as the primary monitor, so fullscreen programs like the paradox games will only open and remain on the broken primary monitor, where i can't see anything.

Long story short, with CK windowed on my laptop monitor, i can drag it over to my secondary monitor, successfully - but when i position the window on the screen and release the mouse button, i get jumbled chunks of the ck window popping up on my primary monitor and the window on the secondary monitor freezes.

any ideas...?

Where to download

I am using dual screens and it would be great to play CK in a windowed mode so I can make use of other the rest of the screen and my second screen without having to minimize CK.

Where can I download this? I tried all the links in this thread and none of them seem to work.

I'm using Vista... does this patch still work?

Thanks! :)

jordarkelf said:
DV supports windowed mode without the need for a hack.

Launch it with Path\to\game\crusaders.exe WINDOW.

You must have your desktop set to 16-bit colours or the game will not launch.

Sorry, but it seems that my english are not good enough:

I have tried Path\to\game\crusaders.exe WINDOW on the Run window of the Start Menu, but it says that Windows cannot find Path\to\game\crusaders.exe.
What am I doing wrong? :D

Durante said:
Sorry, but it seems that my english are not good enough:

I have tried Path\to\game\crusaders.exe WINDOW on the Run window of the Start Menu, but it says that Windows cannot find Path\to\game\crusaders.exe.
What am I doing wrong? :D

Right click your shortcut and select properties. You'll see something like
Code:
 "C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings\Crusaders.exe"

Change it to
Code:
 "C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings\Crusaders.exe" window

Anyone able to comment on if this patch still works with CK+DV and the latest beta?

Just to add i had been using this(PSSwitch.exe) on vanilla CK(1.05patched) for a few months with no trouble at all.

Recently i bought CK complete(CK+DV beta 2.1) and this does still work with DV. I created two desktop icons one called CrusadersWin for windowed mode and the normal Crusaders one for full screen mode.

I think the only down side i have noticed in using PSSwitch with DV is when using the filter ingame to show the province map by wealth(rather than ownership/religion etc) the colours go a bit messed up making it hard to find the richer provinces, but this may also be a graphics card/driver issue so you may not notice the same.

I may give the in-game windowed support a go to avoid this issue, but it's nice and handy having easy launch icons for whichever type of game i want to run(windowed or full).

Edit: ok i tested DV in both 16bit windowed and 32bit fullscreen mode and i have an issue with the province wealth filter in all settings. It looks like a problem with DV compared to CK which worked fine in this. Not a big issue, but not the fault of PSSwitch+16bit colour mode anyway.

Last edited: