• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

swede100

Private
30 Badges
Jan 4, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Iron Cross
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • East India Company
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2
I decided to purchase this from GamersGate for a whole dollar. Wow :)

After reading a few threads about Win XP compatibility problems I decided to install using Win 98/me compatibility and it seemed to work the first time I did it. I learned this in another forum for older programs.

1. Download Europa Univ I
2. Set the download icon to Win/me compatibility
3. Disable visual themes....Note : you may not have to do this but I did
4. Use Admin setting
5. Run the download icon & install program
6. Do not save to Program Files(x86)
7. Create shortcut and put it on the desktop
8. Use compatibility settings that you used on the download icon to your desktop program shortcut.

So far I find the Avi movies to play well. All game controls are working fine.
Sound is also good. I have had no crashes. This game seems to work as it should. I saved a game and it loaded fine.

I have not tried everything in the game but it seems to run stable.

Good luck

I'm not sure it's right to post here, but...I've done all of this, and it doesn't seem to work. I got it off void (Gamersgate's Ad-supported gaming system), so that might be causing it, but I don't know...

Good question. Most people seem to have had luck with less work than the OP - but he was the only one listing how and what he had done, so I stickied it. It might be possible to get around by doing less, or some detail might still be missing.

I'd suggest poking around some more with the compability settings, while contacting Gamers Gate and see if they have any comments about "how, in general, to play with games made for older versions of windows" since they should be facing the problems a lot more often what with all the different old-style games they offer.

Hello there! I tried everything suggested here to run the game from original CD, but the game sticks on a black screen and freezes. However, it runs perfectly on my brother's laptop, despite we use the same copy of windows 7. I just can't figure it out, so I beg for any help. Thanks in advance!

Same copy of Win 7? Are you both getting driver updates and the like? But if it gets stuck early you probably have issues with the movie. (Binkplayer was pretty unreliable). Just rename the movie folder so it doesn't try to play it.

Reactions:
Same copy of Win 7? Are you both getting driver updates and the like? But if it gets stuck early you probably have issues with the movie. (Binkplayer was pretty unreliable). Just rename the movie folder so it doesn't try to play it.
I disabled Binkplayer even back then, for the same reason (and it sucked some Resources from my quite tiny processor...).