• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(51967)

Lt. General
Dec 23, 2005
ita000iq2.jpg

The Kingdom of Italy was not in the greatest shape it had ever been.
The Italo-Abyssian war of 1935-1936
The Italo-Albanian war of 1938
The Entry of Italy into WW2 on the side of Germany between 1940 and 1943
The Capitulation of Italy to the Allies and switching sides between 1943 and the establishment of the Italian Social Republic on the side of Germany in 1944.
in 10 years, the Italians had not much time to recover. Battered, Bruised, Distraught and wrought from Internal Conflicts and power struggles within the government. Readiness for even an expected war would never have been acheivable. And the odds were not looking to favour the Italians.

Chapter One: Welcome to the Jungle.

... excerpts from "The Third Great War"

"...At the end of the Second Great war the axis had been summarily defeated and the allied coalition of the United Nations and the Comintern had been victorious. However with this alliance of convenience at an end tensions remained high. While the United Nations had since demilitarised leaving a skeleton force on the borders, the Comintern and its Warsaw Pact allies had since kept their armies in full readiness for war..."

"...By Some circumstance of poor intelligence, intense spy-games or simply blind hope, the Allies were at a complete surprise when the Comintern attacked on October the 2nd. 1945..."

Italy however had one of the largest armies of the United Nations... as pitiful as it was to both Italy and its claimant of one of the largest armies.
10,000 men equipped with modern warfare components, outdated
90,000 men equipped with further outdated military equipment
20 flotillas of ships, including 5 pre-war class battleships.
150 Interceptor planes, slightly outdated, surplus American military Material
200 Bombers, Early War configurations, surplus British military Material.
ita001wp7.jpg

The current government at the beginning of the war was less than efficient or worthwhile.
The recently appointed King was not completely unpopular, but the House of Savoy's influence was not as glorious as it would lay seem. Likewise rumours of his possible bisexuality and astrangement with his Wife gave unease to the Conservatives. In any case, he could charm in speech but his actual acumen in government lay waste to industrial efficiency.
The Prime Minister, Ferrucio Parri had unforunately been killed in the first hours of the war, his succesor, de Gasperi was left wanting when it came to being effectual, however he had support amongst the Liberal Party which secured his position for now.
ita002aj7.jpg

Three former serving ministers were also pushed aside in the preparation for war. Armaments required full attention, and while Orlando was a bright man, his fascination with new technologies would serve little use at this point in time. Likewise, Conti resigned to give way to Badoglio. This war was likely to be defensive on every inch. Speed in assault meant little. On top of this the Chief of the Air force was replaced for another Marshall who would focus on the effectiveness of our bombers rather than paratroop doctrines when we had none.
ita003cl5.jpg

In regards to the economy and production spheres of the Italian economy, while manpower reserves were high, the rate of which they could be replaced was ineffectual if the army was to be rapidly increased, 400 men a day (0.4) with currently Half a million willing to join the war effort.. Farming techniques in Italy were well behind the great powers, likewise in air and ground support. 30,000 men with artillery brigades were to be brought up as emergency reserves, another 10,000 men mobilised for speed tactics and a division of armour. (Note: the given figures here are actually half of what they should be, it's a bug for the first day of the scenario/first day after loading).
The fractured country was pushed to the brink with dissenting Communists within the political structure. Likewise, the war had begun with Yugoslavian bombers wrecking havoc along central Italy's factories. (Note: No idea why, but yeah, all my factories across italy started off damaged).
ita004xf9.jpg

myth still sucks :p

Wow, and Italy DD AAR. I'm watching this!

Nice start, this could be interesting to see. Good luck, I think you are going to need it :)

I tried this last night, it's a difficult, difficult start... A tip is to try and cut off divisions in northern Italy, don't worry about the 10-20 IC loss from losing Trento, Venice and Milan, you can recover from that. That's how I solved it, I slowly took down the invading forces, luring them into encirclements, withdrawing from venice to trento, letting them move into Milan, counter-attacking from Trento and across the river-line south of Venice. Good luck, you'll need it the first few months!

Chapter One-Part Two: Woken up with a slap to the face

Umberto charged into a room full of flurry, the ministers, the commanders, the associates and anyone with an actual role in the running of the country were in a state of panic.
It would be nice to think of Umberto II as a loud booming figure that commands respect. Unfortunately he is not.
"What... is happening"
The room barely took interest until a lowly intern came up to him
"The soviets sir, they declared"
"I know... what are we doing about it"
"... I don't know"
"Well find out"
Storming over, as much as little puffy cloud can storm, Umberto made his way to Chief of the Royal Army, Ancellotti.
"How's the situation"
"I really don't have time for this"
"Make the damned time i'm the King!"
With the most utter contempt anyone could ever show with a humerous moustache, Ancellotti presented the world situation.

"Here's Europe... if you don't understand it then i don't know how you're a King, Germany won't hold, neither will Greece or turkey"
ita005fu1.jpg

"Don't speak to me that way i'm the King of this country, i'll have you fired"
"I'm sure you would, and I"m sure it'd help the war effort, do you want me to continue or not"
Silence.
"Asia... Chinese Civil war is still seperate, and Korea will probably go down quickly. Persia's doomed but it'll be slow and painful"
ita006vt1.jpg

"And what of us"
Ancellotti points to the map.
"In all optimism we want to hold the Red line, but it is unlikely. We are aiming to hold at the blue line because it would take out most of our industry if we don't. The Purple line is stretched but across the River Po so more defensible."
"And the Black line?"
"If we don't hold that, Italy's going to fail bar our best efforts."
ita007sb9.jpg

"Here's what we're up against.. Now if you don't mind i have a war to fight"
ita008sw7.jpg

ita009ve0.jpg

ita010to4.jpg

A few hours later there were whispers and when a voice crackled over the loudspeaker, for once the room was silent.
"Testing... testing... Hearing me well enough.... good. Some of you might've already heard but just to confirm. Yes, the Americans have dropped Nuclear weapons on Moscow and the city of Kuybyshev. Millions of those red bastards are dead"
The last sentence wasn't even heard amongst the cheers...
"However. It does appear that all of the Soviet Government is still alive."
Regardless, the news was a necessary spirit lifter.
ita011vc1.jpg

More good news came the next day as Franco gave his speech to the world.
"... This communist aggression towards the world is unacceptable. And furthermore, the support given to the Illegitimate Spanish Anarchists that started our horrible civil war will not be forgotten. So as if this day October the Third, 1945, a State of war exists between the Spanish Nation and the Soviet Union... "
The Next day a treaty was hastily ratified between the Americans and the Spanish government announcing Spain's entry into the United Nations.
[note: Yes the event is custom made. It's silly that the spanish aren't allied but always Declare war on the soviets, it makes it more complicated later too]
ita012dt5.jpg

Despite the rallying of forces from these two events, the news broke that American units stationed to the north-east of Venice had been broken. 50,000 Italian men were already speeding their way to the defence of Venice but the battle itself estimated at least 90,000 Soviet assaulters to bring to force.
ita013vh5.jpg

An envoy from Greece arrived to meet King Umberto II. Initially he rejected their demands, but after a heated discussion between him and his cabinets he accepted their proposal but made sure to lecture the Greek embassador.
"Be rest assured, we accept this offer of aid, but in the same light know that the Italians are still proud and won't just accept sympathy and pity"

The next envoys of pity and supplies were instantly accepted.
ita014fh8.jpg

Smart, having Spain join the Allies. That defensive plan makes a lot of sense, too.

The Wookiee: There's a problem with that, i can't expect to encircle very well in this terrain without being pushed behind the river Po meaning counterattacks are essentially worthless. Also depending on how many forces they contribute to me. In other Doomsday campaigns the Soviets can push quite far down, and since the AI is much more aggressive to human players.... we'll just wait and see.

likk9922: it just always bugged me that Spain always declared war on the soviets but never joined the allies. It was just stupid. Twice before i've played non-modified campaigns where spain actually landed in Italy and took half of it for itself blocking any allied attack...

chefportnen: heh, i spend a bit of time on them... which was the problem last AAR... i spent like 3 hours on these templates so i only had to modify them slightly for every update (a few seconds)... but it took 3 hours to make the template and nobody was reading so i gave up.

Ksim3000: I'll defend Venice as long as i can. There's no harm in trying to because it's not like it'll kill me, and i probably need that 10IC as much as i can early on.

Also guys, i didn't put it in the update, but at scenario start, Italy starts off with about like 19 IC damaged repairing.... i still don't know why but it does... So Venice is salvageable for a 4th Tech tteam... but if i lose Milan, i lose that 4th tech team. If i lose Genoa and Turin it costs me a 3rd i think. It's a lot of wasted money so i just want to hold what i can.

Chapter Two-Part One: 5, 4, 3, 1, OFFBLAST

In the latest hours of October 6th, the 1st Army under the command of General Caruso arrived to aid the defences of Venice. However the Soviets were all over it and near occupying the provinces.
Regardless, Caruso made his way to the gateway to Venice, the city of Mestre, where small leftovers from the American Army that twice attempted to defend the city. Likewise other divisions were held up Trevisio and Piave.
ita015tw8.jpg

The Soviets were quickly ejected from Mestre and the Italians set up defences against an inevitable counterattack from the surrounding soviet forces.
ita016ax1.jpg

However the 9 divisions, with Artillery, Mobile Artillery, Motorised units, heavy anti-tank and anti-air weaponry was too much for Caruso, who strategically retreated.
ita017fd1.jpg

Umberto was not pleased with Caruso.
"So you just let them march around Venice..."
"I wouldn't have been able to hold it without losing valuable men"
"But a valuable city is sacrificial isn't it"
"Do you have any idea how to fight a war"
"At least I haven't lost one yet, i don't plan to... At least you could've retreated to Milan, If they rush through and take that you do know how screwed we are"
"The Second army has better weaponry and would be much more effective at Milan... The soviets aren't that fast. I know what i'm doing"
"Just make damned sure you do i'm not going to lose this war on your count"
ita018is7.jpg

The advent of new divisions, quickly deployed to Milan under Italy's great general Grazini softened the tension. Thankfully Umberto's calls for the units to be deployed to Venice straight away were ignored.
ita019rl7.jpg

But on October 10 the resistance outside Venice was crushed and Venice itself declared an open city. Regardless of its status looting was practiced. Unfortunately the Logistics of the Yugoslavians and the Soviets meant only one unit was actually at the front and able, the rest still slowly moving to the front.
Umberto called for an immediate counter-attack.
The generals decided to wait until at least the next morning.
ita020ed4.jpg

Another DD AAR. You must like the heartache. Of course I will follow along, especially since you are using those awesome maps again. :cool:

awesome! Italy actually has a fair chance at defending herself in the DD scenario, I know as I've managed it back when I first tried that one. good luck, I'll be watching! :D

Lovely maps, Tribolute! Really looking forward to how this one will turn out......

Also, on a more personal level for Field Marshall Rodolfo Graziani, this could indeed be a chance to regain his "lost honour" after his infamous reputation in Africa and his loyalty to Mussolini and Fascism, even in it's dying days. Fending off the Soviets would indeed be better to be remembered for, overall.

It's blast off, not offbalst.

grayghost: You know it

Myth yeah... but i'll ultimately do better because you suck! :p (and for the rest, yes i am just joking, it's a very old, very poor running joke)

KSim3000: Quite, he's been pulled out of retirement because he's the best last one they have.

likk9922: I'll forgive you for not being synonymous with internet humour

Quanto: You saying Greece didn't do well!!?!! >:|

Chapter Two-Part Two: Why the hell do you call Rockmelons Cantaloupes

The second Battle of Venice (1945) was not as spectacular as the first. Infiltration and the uncoordinated effort of the defenders meant the battle itself was over in 2 hours before Soviet reinforcements could join.
ita021uo1.jpg

Campioni rushed to the scene with his battleships, only a week late to prevent the loss of Venice.
Oddly enough nobody in the ministry cared. Regardless, that his ships reduce the enemies efficiency over 15%.
ita022xw2.jpg

The retaking and securing of Venice was relatively easy compared to losing it. After fully regaining control of the province and (unlike the soviets) actually coodinating all forces to the front defence, the pitiful Two division counterattack was easily crushed.
ita023yc6.jpg

Luckily the Italians were not the only ones having successes. The Soviets, seeing they were successful enough earlier in the peninsular had withdrawn some of their forces. Coupled by a daring strategy the americans had managed to encirle well over 150,000 Soviet men, tanks, and trucks. Their attempt at reducing the pocket resulted in the capture of 4 divisions but since they have not been able to defeat it.
ita024aj9.jpg

Umberto II was still in all war room activities, despite his lack of tactical ability and wartime experience. Of which his was being scolded for talking to Hitler and living in a lovely house.
U:"So I'm assuming that new bunch of Reserves is going to the front this time Ancelotti"
A""Of course it is, despite the fact that it's Orlando's responsibility of head of Armaments and Logistics to deploy units."
ita025fz3.jpg

U:"Good, then start the counterattack into Yugoslavia"
A""... you have to be joking me"
U:"No... attack"
A:"... No"
U:"And why the hell not"
A:"Look here..."
ita026rb2.jpg

U:"Wow... a probing attack"
A:"This wasn't just the first probing attack"
U:"You haven't scared or convinced me yet"
A:"Look at the damned reports, They not only have 19 divisions ready to attack Venice against our 14... they have well over Half a million men, 63 divisions, aimed squarely to hit French Austria and down Italy... I am damn well not going on some stupid expedition to reclaim the holy grail that is Ljubljana"
ita027is9.jpg

Umberto stormed out, so Ancelotti briefed his staff on the reports he was getting around the world for the beginning of November 2, one month after the war started. Mainly so they could answer him and Umberto "wouldn't be storming everywhere looking for petty answers to mediocre questions"
"Norway is losing ground but Narvik hasn't fallen yet. Germany is slowly falling, Copenhagen has since fallen. Greece and Turkey are slowly being assailed. Also if you hadn't heard about Spain's entry then perhaps you should just go home and wait for a few years until someone tells you the war is over"
ita028fj5.jpg

"In Asia. China's civil war now has a stable-front along the Yellow river and Shaanxi, and the Soviet advance into Persia is still going strong. Meanwhile, the Americans still can't kill that Soviet encirclement in Korea"
ita029pu9.jpg