Will we be able to become a monarchy on Victoria III ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Victoria 2 allowed rebels to install monarchies, and there are republics that become monarchies during the game's time period (e.g. Mexico, France), so it's likely to exist in some form.

Reactions:
For instance, I am a dictatorial republic in America, could I declare myself king instead of a simple dictator ?
I saw somewhere that one of the devs was having fun playing the US as Monarchy, and saying that the system we players will like (how it turns into one I think).

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Victoria 2 allowed rebels to install monarchies, and there are republics that become monarchies during the game's time period (e.g. Mexico, France), so it's likely to exist in some form.
I am pretty sure that in vanilla Vic2 rebels could not turn a democracy or dictatorship into a monarchy.
See:

Edit: As noted in the comments below, my own proof disproofs my arguments. Successful reactionary rebels in a presidential dictatorship change the government type into an absolute monarchy, as can be clearly seen in the wiki link above. Losing to reactionary rebels twice can therefore change the government type in this way:
Democracy -> Presidential Dictatorship -> Absolute Monarchy

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I am pretty sure that in vanilla Vic2 rebels could not turn a democracy or dictatorship into a monarchy.
See:
That link does outline the way Vicky 2 rebels could turn a nation into a monarchy, though. From the Absolute Monarchy entry, rebels that force this form of government are listed as rebels with HM's Government, Presidential Dictatorship or Prussian Constitutionalism. It was a roundabout method, but a democracy could flip to monarchy by triggering and losing to two Reactionary rebellions in succession.

Reactions:
See:
If reactionary rebels overthrew a country with presidential dictatorship, then absolute monarchy is enforced. I don't know if it's possible for a presidential dictatorship to spawn reactionary rebels, though. Presidential dictatorships were not allowed to pass any reforms and reactionary rebellions only start to roll back reforms.

Reactions:
If reactionary rebels overthrew a country with presidential dictatorship, then absolute monarchy is enforced. I don't know if it's possible for a presidential dictatorship to spawn reactionary rebels, though. Presidential dictatorships were not allowed to pass any reforms and reactionary rebellions only start to roll back reforms.
That is very possible. I finished the last 2 games in Vic II as the Kingdom of America and as the Kingdom of Argentina.

It is very difficult with the USA, but very easy as Argentina.

But a presidential Dicktator just might want to make himself King, so a revolution should not be needed. Haiti did it this way I think.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The United States ought to have an extremely hard time getting their populace to support monarchism, but I think it should be possible to at least try monarchism there.

How long that'd last, would be another matter.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The United States ought to have an extremely hard time getting their populace to support monarchism, but I think it should be possible to at least try monarchism there.

How long that'd last, would be another matter.
I dont think it would be even remotely plausible

• 1Like
Reactions:
I dont think it would be even remotely plausible
The romans were also very opposed to the concept of monarchy. They would never have agreed to being ruled by a king. The US in a similar way could probably be ruled by something functionally equivelent to a monarchy, it would just need to be aesthetically distinct from their recongized (and despised) concept of monarchy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The romans were also very opposed to the concept of monarchy. They would never have agreed to being ruled by a king. The US in a similar way could probably be ruled by something functionally equivelent to a monarchy, it would just need to be aesthetically distinct from their recongized (and despised) concept of monarchy.
Like Napoleon in France. He made the anti-royal revolution in France stand behind a royal empire. From the perspective of 1793 France, that sounds like a bad joke.

• 2Like
Reactions:

"Oh no no no, I'm not a king, no sir. I'm just the hereditary lord protector with absolute executive power and the authority to dissolve the legislature."

• 8Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I mostly want to know who gets to be king. Would it just be whoever is the current dictator? Can I invite a foreign noble to come over? I know the first one happened during this period and I'm preeeetty sure the second one did too (I think?) so it would be cool to have different possibilities.

Also, I hope the game has a good way of modeling the instability of succession in startup dictatorships (monarchies included). When your British monarch dies there shouldn't generally be an issue, but when your American monarch dies it makes sense that the government may want to revisit the idea of monarchy in the first place, especially if it's your first king who just died.