Will this be another I:R situation?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Who is talking about USD?

Uh, what does that have to do with anything?

Obviously I'd be talking about USD because I'm an American and thus have easy access to only American pricing. Adoi.

Reactions:
Im still mad at all these youtubers that lied to us selling Imperator as the best game about Rome ever created, i learned to never trust someone who gets a free game to get more views on their channel ;)
If they gonna criticize the product or at least tell the unpleasant truth, then it threatens them that they will no longer receive free copies or early access. So, it’s only natural for them to misinterpret and hush up the negative aspects of the product which is given to them .

Last edited:
Reactions:
I hope CK3 is great, since CK2 is one of my all-time favorite games. But the last two PDX games I pre-ordered were HOI4 and I:R, both of which were very weak at launch (especially I:R, which was so miserably bad that I don't even want to re-try it yet, maybe not ever). So there is just no way in hell that I will pre-order this, and instead I will take a "wait and see" approach. I am particularly interested to read post-launch reviews and hear opinions about why I should move to a bare-bones CK3 when I have a fully-loaded CK2 with all the DLC. All I know is that HOI4 took years to get up to speed, and I don't even have the curiosity about I:R to see whether it's worthwhile yet.

Reactions:
If Paradox make the same mistakes as IR with CK3 it will be a devastating blow to their company.

CK3 will be their largest selling game ever, by a long shot. They will have high forecasts for future DLC.

A drop in player numbers experienced by Imperator and I would assume the corresponding DLC sales would be nothing short of disastrous for Paradox.

I would like to say based on that fact there is little chance, but their releases have been poor recently, so we will see.

One thing is for sure, the CK community wouldnt forgive it.

Reactions:
EU: Rome was the exact same story as Imperator and suffered from the same issues. Yet, EU4 and CK2 were released after EU:R. Paradox has a long history of releasing these "test run" games like Rome and Sengoku that are usually mediocre but are not really representative of the quality of the following mainline title(s).

Reactions:
I would like to say based on that fact there is little chance, but their releases have been poor recently, so we will see.

Only Imperator has actually been poor, though. People had/have their complaints about Stellaris and HoI4, but those games are both still very popular, well-reviewed and recently launched record-setting expansions.

I think people are largely okay with the usual amount of bugs/jank associated with these huge complex games. Imperator just had the bad but also none of the good, and so far nothing we’ve seen from CK3 suggests the same thing. To me at least.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Only Imperator has actually been poor
Going by steam charts
Name - playing an hour ago - 24-hour peak
Imperator: Rome - 1,293 - 1,821
Hearts of Iron IV - 24,305 - 28,668
Stellaris - 23,687 - 30,409

Older stuff?
Europa Universalis IV - 18,650 - 23,889
Crusader Kings II - 10,068 - 13,753 (although F2P that hasnt really changed much about the trend of the games population if you look at the stats.)

But yes I:R has been poor, their other recent releases haven't. In fact I:R has been ABYSMAL.

edit: just for fun
Victoria II - 1,318 - 1,795
Vic2 is doing better than I:R. Its a great games but its ancient while I:R is new. That's pretty bad.
Needless to say PDX knows this, I don't think they want this to happen. They'll do their best to avoid a repeat.

Last edited:
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
People had/have their complaints about Stellaris and HoI4, but those games are both still very popular
I'm still seeing people say how Stellaris and HOI4 are trash. But I've seen that mostly on the Steam Reviews and usually about the massive amounts of DLC CK2 and EU4 have, which is it's own can of worms.

I'm still seeing people say how Stellaris and HOI4 are trash. But I've seen that mostly on the Steam Reviews and usually about the massive amounts of DLC CK2 and EU4 have, which is it's own can of worms.

Even Steam reviews for those two games are really good! Like compare their aggregate score to Imperator.

People complain about that stuff while giving them positive reviews that show they’ve played the game for 600 hours.

Reactions:
The problems with IR were well known and commented on the forums beforehand during dev diaries and the like. Johan just brushed everyone off and even famously pre release essentially said "mana is here to stay don't like it don't buy it".

CK3 will no doubt have problems at launch, as every paradox game does, but unless the team arrogantly decides to ignore practically all of the prerelease feedback they have received so far like the IR brain trust did, then I have hopes that the flaws won't be so fatal that we wake up 6 months post release to 1500 player counts wondering wtf happened.

Reactions:
The problems with IR were well known and commented on the forums beforehand during dev diaries and the like. Johan just brushed everyone off and even famously pre release essentially said "mana is here to stay don't like it don't buy it".

CK3 will no doubt have problems at launch, as every paradox game does, but unless the team arrogantly decides to ignore practically all of the prerelease feedback they have received so far like the IR brain trust did, then I have hopes that the flaws won't be so fatal that we wake up 6 months post release to 1500 player counts wondering wtf happened.
The developers of CK3 even changed feudal contracts when people complained about it in the DD, don't think anything similar happened with Imperator: Rome and there was alot of complaning, more so than on CK3 if I remember correctly.

Reactions:
Only Imperator has actually been poor, though. People had/have their complaints about Stellaris and HoI4, but those games are both still very popular, well-reviewed and recently launched record-setting expansions.

I think people are largely okay with the usual amount of bugs/jank associated with these huge complex games. Imperator just had the bad but also none of the good, and so far nothing we’ve seen from CK3 suggests the same thing. To me at least.

Stellaris had a fairly cool reception at launch - there were a fair number of reviews like this - but it got turned around quite quickly with the early DLC and also wasn't in the state Imperator was.

Reactions:
The developers of CK3 even changed feudal contracts when people complained about it in the DD
I'm personally wondering if such flexibility to do changes is due to how badly I:R did. But this comes from how having devs change something like this, out of nowhere, is not a very common thing in the gaming industry from what I've heard. As it takes away time from working on other stuff etc. But I could be wrong.

Regardless its a show of taking feedback and acting upon it. That alone should give some faith and benefit of doubt to CK3 and its ability to not be a repeat of the I:R disaster.

The issue with I:R was also an incredibly flawed foundation that was... visible to basically everyone. This doesn't seem to be the case in CK3. But we have many dev diaries to go so who knows? Regardless even if there are huge flaws with design I dont doubt that they will be quick to change them to avoid a repeat of I:R.

No company will want a repeat of anything on the scale of I:R. A new game that does worse (average population wise) than one released about 10 years ago. On the bright/funny side I guess this gives more ammo for "Vic3" since its clearly very viable still :p

Reactions:
the low quality of the map...
Low... quality? In what way? If you mean that it is stylized in a painterly style that's not low quality that's just it being stylized (which will look good for a lot longer than more realistic looking stuff). Unless its something else you're talking about?

• 3Like
Reactions:
It has everything to with it as you incorrectly just assumed I was talking about USD - which I'm not...

:rolleyes:

But why does that matter?

There would still be a difference in price regardless of the currency.

Reactions:
One thing that is a bit different is that the devs got cautious here in CK3. Which wasn't the case in Imperator at the launch.

The Dev Diary of Laws had a big backlash. And they listenend and changed it.
The names Poganstvo and Marrano had backlashes. Changed the first and probably the second one too.
There are issues with the Head of Faith for the Sunni schools and the Insular faith. Will be patched in in the future.
And probably they will take some advices for the cultures. Wekog said that they have a look at the situation with the Dutch/French/Frisian issue.

If something is brought up often, they will have another look at it, evaluate and research the topic again and even change it.

The only issue were they couldn't have an immediate solution are government forms that go beyond the feudal/tribal/clan triangle. Imperialism for ERE/Arabian Empires/eventually China. Republics that work properly and a proper horde system. We know that the CK3-engine is more flexible. But there they haven't a solution for the launch.

Last edited:
Reactions: