• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wish we would get more Planetfall content but then it would be hard to create a faction/secret tech that wouldn't be similiar to one of theose already existing. Planetfall is already a very big game and have enought content for many hours of play.

I'm excited to see what new game Triumph is making. Will it be Age of Wonders 4 in fantasy settings again? Or another Overlord? Or something totally new?

I think Triumph is really good at "games," in the same sense Blizzard is. They know how to do "everything but the kitchen sink" while keeping it all balanced. Most studios don't even try.

As such, I'd love to see them do something that really puts that on display----for instance, an FPS with a hacking layer...plus psionics...plus a market...plus (dinosaur) mounts.

I'd like them to make modern versions of Sacrifice, Kohan or Rise of Legends.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'd love continued planetfall support.
But if I had to give a wish for a new game.
Basically i'd say Shadow Magic in a modern engine and with max customization (not quite Dominions 5 levels of unit and faction variety, but close to that)
I missed the feeling of ' epic' power I had in AOW 2 Shadow Magic. Of my Wizard wielding near God-like power.
The casting of city wide shields(think of that one Harry Potter scene, as the dome is called into being over Hogwarts), calling down of storms of power, raising the seas to drown my foes, summoning the hosts of the dead all across the world (as in AoW3).
And ofcourse, layers....I do miss the different feel of the underground.
Imagine it combined with the innovations in AoW3, unique classes, specializations and upgraded units through empire traits.

Basically i'd say Shadow Magic in a modern engine and with max customization (not quite Dominions 5 levels of unit and faction variety, but close to that)
I missed the feeling of ' epic' power I had in AOW 2 Shadow Magic. Of my Wizard wielding near God-like power.
The casting of city wide shields(think of that one Harry Potter scene, as the dome is called into being over Hogwarts), calling down of storms of power, raising the seas to drown my foes, summoning the hosts of the dead all across the world (as in AoW3).
Imagine it combined with the innovations in AoW3, unique classes, specializations and upgraded units through empire traits.
Age of wonders 3 still exists. I recently got Chaos Rift with Divine Justicars before turn 30 starting as random leader, that was hilariously OP.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd like them to make modern versions of Sacrifice, Kohan or Rise of Legends.

Sacrifice? As in 'if this where a civilized realm, I would be the only god' by a Helium balloon sky god?

Yes please. That game was miles ahead of its time, commanding your forces on the battlefield directly and wielding epic magic.
Well done sir, good suggestion.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Age of wonders 3 still exists. I recently got Chaos Rift with Divine Justicars before turn 30 starting as random leader, that was hilariously OP.

Agreed it does. And its awesome. Although the AoW series follows a common trend of 'powering down' through the ages in my view(1st game nigh omnipotent godlike wizards, second game immortal wizards wielding elemental forces, third game immortal hero like classes who are probably more like 20+ lvl d&d characters).

Its my one thematic gripe with it. The game even references the wizard lords as inordinately more powerfull then the Leaders of AoW3.
I just love doing epic stuff I guess. Its still a great game, as you say!

Reactions:
Agreed it does. And its awesome. Although the AoW series follows a common trend of 'powering down' through the ages in my view(1st game nigh omnipotent godlike wizards, second game immortal wizards wielding elemental forces, third game immortal hero like classes who are probably more like 20+ lvl d&d characters).

Its my one thematic gripe with it. The game even references the wizard lords as inordinately more powerfull then the Leaders of AoW3.
I just love doing epic stuff I guess. Its still a great game, as you say!

Nah, the older games are just mythology in de current game world. And like the Greek gods, or the Middle Earth older era's, there were always super-mighty heroes in the past, and we have to do with more down to earth technology/magic.

Reactions:
Nah, the older games are just mythology in de current game world. And like the Greek gods, or the Middle Earth older era's, there were always super-mighty heroes in the past, and we have to do with more down to earth technology/magic.

Very true. Its a common fantasy trope,used even by Tolkien as you rightly refer to.
Still no reason we couldn't get a modern game that deals with such an age.
Forge the Silmaríls, hunt Ungoliath and by your Song erect the First Tree.
Why not, I say;).

Look at Dominions 5 for example. Despite the basic graphics it has some truly epic Shenanigans. Or the ancient 'Master of Magic'.

I had an idea for a future AoW fantasy game, where one of the classes would be a "Wizard" - who would be very close to what Shadow Magic is.

Such a fantasy game would combine the best elements from the series (e.r. distinct races, classes, heroes, powerful magic,) remove the annoying bits (e.g. excess clicking, excess micromanagement) and get a slight graphical upgrade, basiclaly to make things "pop" more.

• 1Like
Reactions:
SteamdDB mostly. 200k minimum amount of owners is really sadly.
Also I look at other games where Paradox is publisher.
Surviving Mars is REALLY similar example. 2 major DLCs release, end of development, start of development of a new game.
Cities Skyline - released at 2015 (by small studio too), has a ton of DLCs, huge and active playerbase.
Let's guess what game was more profitable...

The post from Jordi Engel just proves my opinion. If you don't want to share an amount of sales (even approximately) then it's just nothing to boast about.

Corporations tend to be very tight lipped about how many copies of a game they sold. I don't see why paradox is any different. Since it was mentioned in interim report of 2020 which is basically invasions dlc.. Seems like it sold well.

Just because there isn't millions of players lining up to pvp online doesn't mean its a failure.

Let's see..

August 11, 2020
Interim report January – June 2020

MSEK seems to be abbervation for swedish currency.

SECOND QUARTER 2020

• Revenues amounted to MSEK 464.9 (MSEK 387.2), an increase by 20 % compared to the same period last year.
  • Operating profit amounted to MSEK 199.0 (MSEK 154.2), an increase by 29 %.
  • Profit after financial items amounted to MSEK 197.7 (MSEK 154.0), and profit after tax amounted to MSEK 154.5 (MSEK 120.3).
  • Cash flow from operating activities amounted to MSEK 278.5 (MSEK 232.7), and cash flow from investing activities amounted to MSEK -148.4 (MSEK -104.9).
  • By the end of the period cash amounted to MSEK 637.2 (MSEK 396.4).
  • Earnings per share amounted to SEK 1.46 (1.14) after dilution.
  • Revenues in the quarter are mainly attributable to Age of Wonders: Planetfall, Cities: Skylines, Europa Universalis IV, Hearts of Iron IV and Stellaris.

It does seem to be quite a success.

There is several estimations to use.

If we were to use this,
Then Planetfall sold somewhere in range of 134,700 to 188,580 copies.

Now let us take a look at AOW: 3.

273,550 to 382,970 copies sold.

Then other source to check is the steamspy. it only can give me an estimation and i don't feel like registering to find out.

And steamspy tells a fuller story compared to the reddit estimation.

Stats for Planetfall

Release date: Aug 6, 2019
Price: $49.99
Old userscore: 79% Metascore: 81%
Owners: 200,000 .. 500,000
Followers: 76,475
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 633
YouTube stats: 2,269 views and 70 comments for top 50 videos uploaded last week, 3 new videos uploaded yesterday.
Playtime total: 05:08 (average) 06:23 (median)

Now let us view stats for AoW: 3 . . .

Release date: Mar 31, 2014
Price: $29.99
Old userscore: 79% Metascore: 80%
Owners: 1,000,000 .. 2,000,000
Followers: 66,565
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 674
YouTube stats: 1,543 views and 106 comments for top 50 videos uploaded last week, 2 new videos uploaded yesterday.
Playtime in the last 2 weeks: 00:13 (average) 00:13 (median)
Playtime total: 07:53 (average) 02:47 (median)

What this tells us is that AOW3 clearly lost some players to Planetfall.

Yet, number of active players is roughly equal meaning Planetfall successfully brought awareness to the series to new players that has never heard of Age of Wonders before simply by entering sci-fi genre.

I am aware that AOW3 had at least two releases for free and the owner count is likely inflated by players trying it out and didn't like it or liked it.

Concurrent players is other interesting statistic to look at. By looking at it, it means that Planetfall has helped double the amount of players playing Age of Wonders series and is a good indicatator that there is as many players that likes scifi as well as high fantasy.

Youtube views is in a decline for AOW3. Its likely because it's a older game and people has already seen very much of it. It still manages to generate more youtube comments than planetfall though which is another good thing probably.

Playtimes is weird and i'm not sure on what to think of it.

Disclaimer: Steamspy is in beta and i don't feel like registering~~~!!!

If we were to look at stellaris and sins of a solar empire numbers, both greatly outnumbers AOW series. I have sins of solar empire but not stellaris, They're both sorta of an simulator game. While Sins of Solar empire is more action oriented but ultimately its also a simulator. Lots of building stuff and researching and clicking and very boring combat.

People is attracted to different types of genres. I dare say Stellaris is more noob friendly than Planetfall. I played it once long time ago just so i could see what all the talk was about it. It was near the launch, I was dead last near the bottom of power ranking but I was inside a federation. And there was abunch of butthurt religion zealots to the south who kept on trying to conquer my space tigrans I uplifted for fun. It was very weak federation and we was more than equal to that butthurt religious zealots. And almost everyone else was an militarist xenophobic that trusted noone else, had strong military but didn't join a federation or made alliances so they left our federation alone because if they started a war, they'll get overmatched by entire federation strength which was basically just me plus three other AIs and two vassals I uplifted.

Only Religious zealots was foolish to keep on trying and they eventually got assimilated by us.

The whole game was like that, then endgame crisis happened.

The unbidden came to the galaxy to feast on everyone and started at opposite end of the galaxy from me. What did I do?

I spent next fifty years of ingame time Starting wars as a federation president against each militarist xenophobe one by one and having periods of strengthening and building my economy when my time as president was up. Gradually the route to Unbidden was opened by force.

At this point.. Half of galaxy is eaten by unbidden squatters. But I was now one of most powerful factions in the galaxy and I went and evicted the unbidden from galaxy all by myself. Then I never played Stellaris again. The end.

tl;dr version: I feel confident about Planetfall's success. Don't compare AoW3 and Planetfall to Stellaris and Sins of Solar Empire. Both of them is different genres which attract different players who has their own preferences.

If there was one thing that Planetfall has huge weakness in compared to AOW3, that would be the exploration phase.

The world is very very very tiny! And what's more worse? It loses the Underground that AOW3 had. ;_;

Reactions:
If there was one thing that Planetfall has huge weakness in compared to AOW3, that would be the exploration phase.

The world is very very very tiny! And what's more worse? It loses the Underground that AOW3 had. ;_;

but maps are still bigger for the same size category. it is the underground layer that gave AOW3 a bigger map in the end.
for me the huge planetfall weakness is its strategic AI.
it can't mods properly and never change mods loadout which leads to end game armies having the same 3 mods it had at the early stage of the game.
it doesn't know how to use sector ressources the best and don't build the appropriate buidling on the right sector to boost its ressources.
it often move its 3 stack armies away from each other, making them an easy target to picjk one stack by one stack.
it doesn't defend captured cities much. for 9 turns you will have enough time to come back and take what was yours because the Ai just left only one or 2 units, sometimes one stack, to defend.
and it can't deal with npc factions.

edit: i must add that AI have a tendency to only attack with a slightly stronger force for their target. they never tries to overpower you. and they often let their leader unprotected.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
About steamspy, as of April 11 2018 it is basically competely useless for numbers, steam changed its API so that everyones profile is set to private by default, so from then on it only counts game numbers for people who have set their profile to public, which is a very small percentage of people.

Plus, the aow3 numbers are super inflated due to to the giveaways. The only real reporting we've seen from aow3's actual sale numbers is when they reported having sold 500k copies, over a year after the final DLC (https://aow.triumph.net/aow3-sales-milestone-the-new-game-and-gdc/)

• 1Like
Reactions:
About steamspy, as of April 11 2018 it is basically competely useless for numbers, steam changed its API so that everyones profile is set to private by default, so from then on it only counts game numbers for people who have set their profile to public, which is a very small percentage of people.

Plus, the aow3 numbers are super inflated due to to the giveaways. The only real reporting we've seen from aow3's actual sale numbers is when they reported having sold 500k copies, over a year after the final DLC (https://aow.triumph.net/aow3-sales-milestone-the-new-game-and-gdc/)

Huh. Had no idea. Goes to show how little I pay attention to steam stuff, I just treat it as a sort of console that lets me play games. So that means.. Number of people who bought planetfall is likely higher than what steamspy says? That means, its definitely more than 200k to 500k? That bodes really well for planetfall. Likely means chances of Planetfall 2 in the future is good. Isn't guaranteed though but i'd be great to get to know more of the star union and stuff. The campaigns in planetfall was a good introduction. I'm now ready for the actual meat of the book. :p

1604908737313.png

We got an answer btw, from the facebook page, someone asked the same question.

• 1Like
Reactions:
thanks for sharing!

that's kinda sad. but technically they merely said that star kings is the last of the three expansions that was always planned. and that there won't be another season pass. so they didn't actually rule out a potential 4th expansion altogether.

at least when you read it from the PoV of someone desperately grasping for straws :)

• 5Haha
Reactions:
thanks for sharing!

that's kinda sad. but technically they merely said that star kings is the last of the three expansions that was always planned. and that there won't be another season pass. so they didn't actually rule out a potential 4th expansion altogether.

at least when you read it from the PoV of someone desperately grasping for straws :)

<Grasps ALL the Straws>

Indeed sir, indeed. We can always hope. To be honest, even continued support would mean a lot. And with the game being 'complete' the modding scene should (barring mod breaking update shenanigans a la Stellaris..) really have a mostly stable base to work with. One wonders where they might take the game?(see for example the Shadow Realm Community mod for Aow3 an enormous project which adds races, magic and even a whole new layer to AoW3, complete with optional RNG integration). We might get a ' Stellaris: Ground combat simulator' after all. Blorgs vs Prikki-ti custom ringworld maps??

Reactions: