Will there be a free 4K graphics update?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SCWZ

Recruit
Feb 21, 2020
I'm playing in 4K resolution on the most expensive 4K monitor you can buy and I have to say the graphics are really subpar. The textures are not high quality and the lighting is very drab. Divinity Original Sin 2, which was released around the same time, looks WAY better in 4K. DOS 2 was also made by a small studio, but the graphics look 10x better. I believe they had decent success with Battletech, so they really ought to update the game. They should make it free for the people that already own the game, but they could also release an "ultimate edition" with the 4K update and all DLC included.

They also need to optimize the game so it loads faster and performs better. DOS2 has large maps, but loads instantly and has no performance issues on my computer.

It's unfortunate and rather annoying, I'm afraid, since this game desperately warrented the sort of support the grand strats (formerly, in at least one case) get. It rather desperately needs an overhaul to a version of Unity that doesn't have such horrendous memory leaks (and such a thing CAN be done, because, again, I've seen much smaller studios do it). And which means that modders can't even "fix" the problem, since it's deeply ingrained.

But HBS has moved on, and PDX seemingly isn't interested in supporting their OWN games properly at the moment (see Imperator, which has catastrophic CTD bugs in it still), so we are, I'm afraid, SoL.

I am already happy that the UI works well with 4K and does not minimize with higher res.
The Textures are as they are - they did never go ultra realistic for the environment and the Mechs to me look rather good.

For a game of this kind its all one can expect and some cake on top already. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: