Will the new Byzantine DLC add more cultures?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

UMACI

Calculator Man
16 Badges
Dec 15, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • War of the Vikings
Title. There are still many cultures, such as Goths (Crimean Goths, Goths in Mysia and perhaps even the Phrygian Goths) that are still extant at this time within borders of Byzantine Empire that are sadly missing from the game, is it possible that we see at least a few of these cultures added.

Eudokia Ingerina herself may have been of Gothic origin considering that there is another known Inger in Byzantine Empire in 820s, not only does this Inger exist long before the first Varangians known in the empire but he was also the Iconoclastic Metropolitan of Nicaea which was close to where many Goths lived. This Inger then must almost certainly have been of Gothic origin on account of the time he lived and also being a member of the clergy(meaning he was already there for enough time).

Edit: Just to turn this into a more comprehensive list...

- Goths in Northwestern Asia Minor (should be a hybrid with Greek in 1066) and Crimea in both start dates
- Gepids in Pannonia (near Carantania) and in Balkans in Sirmia and Slavonia along Danube and Drava. Possibly in Transylvania as well though they have been mixing with Avars and other Germanic groups (Frankish, Bavarian) that took refuge with Avars.
- Arberian/Albanians

Will add more as they are added.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
While I would love to see more cultures, 1 or 2 county cultures will easily be culturally converted by the AI and won't impact the game. To make these cultures more relevant, we need a system to have (at least) 1 minority culture and religion per county so that pool characters (randomly generated characters) for these small cultures can be generated. A system like this could also greatly help Jewish representation in the game, help with representing Slavs in Greece, Turks in Anatolia, Syriacs across mesopotamia, and Greeks in southern Italy and Croatia. I'm sure many other places could benefit as well.

• 10Like
Reactions:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Besides generating characters, what would this actually do?
Valid question, I am hoping this could help preven small cultures from being deleted from the game right away (particularly an issue when the small culture does not have a same culture ruler above them). If that's not enough of an answer, I ask another question: what is the point of culture aside from characters being generated with the culture?

• 6Like
Reactions:
Valid question, I am hoping this could help preven small cultures from being deleted from the game right away (particularly an issue when the small culture does not have a same culture ruler above them). If that's not enough of an answer, I ask another question: what is the point of culture aside from characters being generated with the culture?
It has always bothered me that we have baronies represented on the map but can not have one culture per barony, would really helped represent the diversity in some places.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Title. There are still many cultures, such as Goths (Crimean Goths, Goths in Mysia and perhaps even the Phrygian Goths) that are still extant at this time within borders of Byzantine Empire that are sadly missing from the game, is it possible that we see at least a few of these cultures added.

Eudokia Ingerina herself may have been of Gothic origin considering that there is another known Inger in Byzantine Empire in 820s, not only does this Inger exist long before the first Varangians known in the empire but he was also the Iconoclastic Metropolitan of Nicaea which was close to where many Goths lived. This Inger then must almost certainly have been of Gothic origin on account of the time he lived and also being a member of the clergy(meaning he was already there for enough time).
I made a thread about this same topic a few days ago. It's especially strange because the Goths/Crimean Goths were an on-map culture in CK2, along with the Dalmatians and the Arberians/Albanians.

Since Roads to Power is also taking the place of this year's flavor pack, my hope is that they'll touch up the cultural/religion setup of the de jure Byzantine Empire in the release patch.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Realistically it’s best to wait to create all these threads until after Legends of the dead. Not gonna get any paradox responses till that dlc is released that’s for sure and it solves the problem of these threads quickly getting lost and then hit by that 6 month inactive limit :(

Better to have the 30 page thread on why those Slavs in Greece are never getting Added with the game as is fresh in everyone’s mind during the time of DLC hype.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Besides generating characters, what would this actually do?
Minority laws(say cultural rights just like religious rights), modifiers regarding them(positive and negative), perhaps in the future a change on how men-at-arms work and allowing men-at-arms not just from your own culture but cultures that live within your borders (although at an increased price). With the focus finally shifted towards Byzantine Empire, men-at-arms should also be taken a look into and BE should be able to recruit men-at-arms besides the ones that are available to Greek culture. A feature allowing recruiting any kind of men-at-arms belonging to cultures within your borders would both represent this for the BE and will also have a use for others.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Crimean Goths might seem small and inconsequential but I'd bet they would be pretty popular. Byzantine heritage and Germanic language. I'd give them a go for sure.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Crimean Goths might seem small and inconsequential but I'd bet they would be pretty popular. Byzantine heritage and Germanic language. I'd give them a go for sure.
Crimean Goths aren't the only Byzantine Goths alive at this point. Phrygian Goths, Goths who were settled in Phrygia and quivkly mixed with the Phrygians, may or may not have survived to 867 but there are also Goths in Opsikian Theme.

Gepids also still existed in 867, not within Byzantine Empire but territory that is de Jure part of the empire: In Sirmium and Slavonia along Danube and Drava rivers.
They were also still in existence in Pannonia and perhaps Transylvania.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Don't forget the Anatolian Gauls as well!

I'm hopeful that Roads to Power will break up the big Greek culture blob to some extent. It would be a good time to finally have the Laz added.
I thought of adding Laz to the list but was unsure because it can perhaps be considered represented within Georgian but adding it would be better I think.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Don't forget the Anatolian Gauls as well!
But were they still around in 9th/11th century? I remember reading one account about how when Rosseil de Bailleul was carving out his realm within the Byzantine Empire in 1060/70s he encountered people who spoke Celtic but that's all it is, most likely a story and haven't ever read anything solid on it.