• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(136398)

Major
1 Badges
Mar 2, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I have so far only played vanilla Hearts of Iron 2 DD, and it is a bit of a shame that the AI rarely seems to act aggressively. To what extent is this the case in DAIM? Will I have a sweaty time dealing with the Russians, experiencing several counter attacks? Will the Americans aggressively attempt to land in Europe with several divisions?

/Teutonic

Oh, and one more thing: Will England actually help France in 1939-1940 by shipping a considerable amount of divisions into the French mainland?

Of course.
The AI will also act more aggressive though landings in Europa are still rare.

Of course.
The AI will also act more aggressive though landings in Europa are still rare.

Far be it from me to disagree, but I do find that the Allies (both the US and UK) will aggressively attack mainland Europe unless Germany garrisons it well, and they rarely garrison it well once they start getting bogged down in the Soviet Union.

DAIM is the best AI mod by a LONG way. Nothing matches it.

So far everything seems to work out good. I didn't see any British troops in France, but I did see a considerable amount of Commonwealth troops there, and other than that the Royal Navy did harass me a little as I shipped troops to Narvik.

I'm at March 1941 now, with all of Europe at my feet, soon ready to take on the beast from the east. I will make sure to report the development of the war there, and eventual landings in Europe. I'm hoping for a defeat to be honest, but if I win it will hopefully not be an easy one.

/Teutonic

Well, I just basically won Barbarossa by '42. I did receive the message that DAIM is installed, but yet the Russians were a walkover as previously. In the beginning they were quite tough, attacking my northern flank, but then I pushed them back with my ~300 divisions all the way to Moscow, Stalingrad and Leningrad. They still have some manpower, but they only have ~180 divisions, of which only 105(!) are fighting my ~300.

Could there be some problem? I really want to have my ass kicked, since it disappoints me to have an easy Barbarossa.

with over 300 Divisons against the Russian AI is even with DAIM a cakewalk for an experienced player.
Do you played with difficulty normal or hard ?

Man, I am having a tough time with Barbarossa. I had to change my strategy. I am still working on it. I attacked Turkey and will then go after the Baku oil fields and take some of the pressure of the Easter Front.

Daim and AI

I think it is not about only daim;daim really improves improvement of country both military and ic; moreover daim improves some critical tactical errors(like U.K and Japan seashores are almost empty without Daim) but i think there is some problem there the total ai moves can not edit from ai files, only somepart of them.As a result you can not make ai to take all critical steps to prevent its soldiers trapped in isolated proviences from the ai file; it is some deeper than this.(Probably which can be improved only by source code )

I think daim is superior to original ai good job daim team.

with over 300 Divisons against the Russian AI is even with DAIM a cakewalk for an experienced player.
Do you played with difficulty normal or hard ?

I always play with normal since I dislike my units receiving fighting penalties. When it comes to AI aggressiveness it is always on the highest setting.

Anyways, I really don't want to force myself to play worse to have a challenge, except waiting until 1942. Do you think that the Russians would be much more prepared with "just" another year to prepare in DAIM?

And the 300 divisions included Romanians, Hungarians, Finns, Bulgarians and some Italians of course.

Man, I am having a tough time with Barbarossa. I had to change my strategy. I am still working on it. I attacked Turkey and will then go after the Baku oil fields and take some of the pressure of the Easter Front.

How many divisions do you have in the east, and of what types & nationalities? I typically have 250-300 available to fight in the east in 1941, and I'm able to conquer the Caucasus by the winter of '41 (the Russians don't tend to guard it particularly well, so it doesn't matter if you do a minor offensive there during the winter).

Well, it is now March 1943 and Russia has surrendered. Just needed to be patient. But it was only done with the help of my allies. Spain gave me 20 Divisions, Croatia 3, Hungary 15, Romania 18, Bulgaria 12, Italy 9 (When I invaded Turkey), Slovakia 6. Now I am after GB in India and Africa.

Teutonic - When you've got the SU outnumbered nearly 2 to 1, what exactly are you expecting an AI mod to do? They'll never play as well as a human player - they're certainly not going to put up a real challenge when they're out numbered and significantly behind in tech and doctrines.

If you want a challenge, either:
A) Play on a harder setting
B) Annex Europe, rather than allying/puppeting (even Italy, if you're feeling cheeky)
C) Give the SU some advantages - events which give free units, +20-40% industrial efficiency, ect.
D) Don't MC or accept expeditionary forces from your allies
E) Some combination of the above.

I love painting Europe red with CCCP, but after the fall of Germany the game becomes kinda boring. WWIII is more annoying than difficult, mostly because of lack of AI nukes - does DAIM allows AI to build and use nukes? I saw that in "Democracy's last legs" AAR...

Teutonic - When you've got the SU outnumbered nearly 2 to 1, what exactly are you expecting an AI mod to do? They'll never play as well as a human player - they're certainly not going to put up a real challenge when they're out numbered and significantly behind in tech and doctrines.

If you want a challenge, either:
A) Play on a harder setting
B) Annex Europe, rather than allying/puppeting (even Italy, if you're feeling cheeky)
C) Give the SU some advantages - events which give free units, +20-40% industrial efficiency, ect.
D) Don't MC or accept expeditionary forces from your allies
E) Some combination of the above.

Now as I have grown more accustomed to the HoI2 files, I have started doing just that. I have removed ~1000 manpower from Germany, both from the starting pool and from events. Since that would obviously not be enough, I have also given the Russians +1000 manpower at the start, along with +2000 once the Great Patriotic War event kicks in. Plus I don't use military control anymore, and just use exp. forces.

With the significant manpower reduction, I'm more or less forcing myself to keep a more historical army, with only ~200 divisions and a comfortable manpower reserve of 100 around in 1940, while I before could have amassed even 400 wit ease.