• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually, one thing to add to my previous post. The one thing I dislike THE MOST about EU3 MP at the moment is the utter unreliability of the current crop of EU3 MP players.

Now, I don't want to sugarcoat EU2 here - we've all seen our share of players dropping, having technical problems, running into unforseen RL situations, or being unfortunately abducted by aliens just before a critical session (especially in the case of aliens bringing beer), and campaigns crashing due to this - but EU3 MP seems to be prodominantly played by willing players, generous to a fault, but with the self-absorbed teenager's inability to reliably dispose of his time on any longer schedule than 24-48h into the future.

I'd even welcome playing with such utter backstabbing potty-mouthed bastards [EDIT: I mean this in the nicest possible way, of course] like Slargos and others of his ilk again (speaking of which, where is Damocles when you need him to terrify new players into learning true warfare :D), since, while they might stalk off in a snit at some time, they'd turn up on time and participate in inter-session diplomacy on forum and ICQ until such time as they left rather than let a campaign peter out due to lack of regular attendance.

---

Feel free to consider the above post a cry for help. :)

Go EU3 and show the newcomers just how devious, dastardly, diplomatic, and duplicitous a campaign can really be when the players are involved. It took a few games back in prehistory (Mowers' MGC games) to set the tone for EU2 and we really need an example or two of the same type in the EU3 MP forum to set the tone for EU3. :)

Last edited:
Peter Ebbesen said:
Actually, one thing to add to my previous post. The one thing I dislike THE MOST about EU3 MP at the moment is the utter unreliability of the current crop of EU3 MP players.

Now, I don't want to sugarcoat EU2 here - we've all seen our share of players dropping, having technical problems, running into unforseen RL situations, or being unfortunately abducted by aliens just before a critical session (especially in the case of aliens bringing beer), and campaigns crashing due to this - but EU3 MP seems to be prodominantly played by willing players, generous to a fault, but with the self-absorbed teenager's inability to reliably dispose of his time on any longer schedule than 24-48h into the future.

I'd even welcome playing with such utter backstabbing potty-mouthed bastards [EDIT: I mean this in the nicest possible way, of course] like Slargos and others of his ilk again (speaking of which, where is Damocles when you need him to terrify new players into learning true warfare :D), since, while they might stalk off in a snit at some time, they'd turn up on time and participate in inter-session diplomacy on forum and ICQ until such time as they left rather than let a campaign peter out due to lack of regular attendance.

---

Go EU3 and show the newcomers just how devious, dastardly, diplomatic, and duplicitous a campaign can really be when the players are involved. It took a few games back in prehistory (Mowers' MGC games) to set the tone for EU2 and we really need an example or two of the same type in the EU3 MP forum to set the tone for EU3. :)

You can count on me giving it my best shot once I have a comp that is able to run EUIII smoothly. I for one would love to have some of said "Teenagers" for breakfast..... :D

found fresh poll at russian EU forum (same forum for all EUX).
The best EU game (52 votes for now):
EU1 - 3,85%
EU2 - 80,77%
EU3 - 15,38%

Tonioz said:
found fresh poll at russian EU forum (same forum for all EUX).
The best EU game (52 votes for now):
EU1 - 3,85%
EU2 - 80,77%
EU3 - 15,38%

I remember EU2 was not a soo complicated game when it came out ages ago. It was like EU3 now, full of stupid errors, mistakes and unbalanced situations. I still remember the old times... u just had to promote Mayor's office and u get -1% inflation. EU2 became the game u know now (the best EU game), under ages! I feel the same mistakes EU2 had in the begining about EU3! New ideas brought new misstakes to the game and more... Old problems that had been solved with EU2 once again became a pain in ass in EU3! The game will need time to became a good one. Enought good for profesional EU players to change from EU2 to 3! But i feel this wont be soon... while paradox reject the old players' problems about EU3 (like the no attrition in combat = madness) u will see only newbees there...

Possibly but personally I think that the flaws in the game are the result of the game engine (i.e regimental combat, the 3D graphics and the departure from historical simulation) and are not likely to be tinkered with.

If it was just problems like cavalry being overpowered or trade being an all or nothing proposition then I'd have total faith that Eu3 would gradually evolve into a worthy sequel of eu2, but if the underlying engine is what most eu2 vets dislike then I cannot see it happening.

DrBob - I see more EU2 veterans in the EU3 forums than in the EU2 ones, the major exception to the general trend being this band of hold-outs in the EU2MP forums, that not only wants EU3 reeled back to EU2.5, preferably based on pandering to what is currently in vogue in the EU2 MP community, but also prefer ten year old graphics technology.

On average, it would seem that EU2 veterans still playing Paradox games are happy enough with EU3, in the sense that, while they are of course bitching about everything and while each is an expert on just what Paradox should self-evidently have done to make the game even better (who isn't? :D) they are playing the game.

As such, it seems unlikely that what you deem as "flaws" in the game engine are disliked by most EU2 veterans: Looking at those actively playing EU2 MP, which appears to a significant degree to be populated by those who agree with you with regards to the "flaws" and impact on gameplay, is not really a good measurement for EU2 veterans in general. :)

Peter Ebbesen said:
DrBob - I see more EU2 veterans in the EU3 forums than in the EU2 ones, the major exception to the general trend being this band of hold-outs in the EU2MP forums, that not only wants EU3 reeled back to EU2.5, preferably based on pandering to what is currently in vogue in the EU2 MP community, but also prefer ten year old graphics technology.

I think that a long argument could be held over which graphic technology looks oldest actually but that isn't really my point

On average, it would seem that EU2 veterans still playing Paradox games are happy enough with EU3, in the sense that, while they are of course bitching about everything and while each is an expert on just what Paradox should self-evidently have done to make the game even better (who isn't? :D) they are playing the game.

As such, it seems unlikely that what you deem as "flaws" in the game engine are disliked by most EU2 veterans: Looking at those actively playing EU2 MP, which appears to a significant degree to be populated by those who agree with you with regards to the "flaws" and impact on gameplay, is not really a good measurement for EU2 veterans in general. :)

Really? I cannot count more than half a dozen eu2 vets playing eu3 mp; yourself, FAL, K'shar, Temujin, Jarkko, HAL...

And I am sure that this thread is not an unbiased sample, but it is the only one I have to work with and that is what my original point is based on.
In this thread most complaints of eu3 are made at issues that can't/will not be changed, they are not things that just need a bit of polishing and balance to make the game into one that everyone here would enjoy, they are deeper issues that people (myself obviously included) have with the entire game.

I am not trying to add yet more arguments to the debate of if eu3 > eu2, i am suggesting to people who are comparing early patch eu2 with early patch eu3 that patches and balancing probably won't induce the folks here abouts to take up eu3 again.

Dr Bob said:
Really? I cannot count more than half a dozen eu2 vets playing eu3 mp; yourself, FAL, K'shar, Temujin, Jarkko, HAL...
When speaking about EU2 veterans in general being more active in EU3 forums than EU2 forums, I was specifically not speaking about EU2 MP players - as I wrote, the EU2 MP veterans seem to be a special case bucking the trend. :)

I am not trying to add yet more arguments to the debate of if eu3 > eu2, i am suggesting to people who are comparing early patch eu2 with early patch eu3 that patches and balancing probably won't induce the folks here abouts to take up eu3 again.
That's certainly something I can agree with. There's no point in arguing based on "but when EU3 has been patched X times like EU2", since what matters is the current state at the moment one is discussing it.

Peter Ebbesen said:

I haven't signed up to any games lately because I'm waiting FAL to start his (as he threatened to do in the summer), precisely because of the player problem. Once a good game starts, I'll be in (if only someone remembers to tell me).

In the meanwhile why not play EU2 smn? :)

Update about Napoleons Ambition 2.1 for you skeptics here:

- The game has been optimized somewhat, runs much more smooth with NA than regular EU3. This could sort out problems with laggy interface for some players.
- Colonization reworked by introducing 'colonial range' which depends on naval tech and the Quest For The New World national idea, resulting in a much more plausible colonial outcome.
- Balance-wise, colonial manpower and financial yield has fortunately been cut down quite a lot, making colonization less critical and keeping focus in Europe
- Stability-wise, last session we (12 players) played about 22 years in about 2 hours and 10 minutes which I believe is impressive even with EU2MP standards.

No it's not yet perfect, but it is nowadays pretty damn fun. You should check it out :)

smn said:
Update about Napoleons Ambition 2.1 for you skeptics here:

- The game has been optimized somewhat, runs much more smooth with NA than regular EU3. This could sort out problems with laggy interface for some players.
- Colonization reworked by introducing 'colonial range' which depends on naval tech and the Quest For The New World national idea, resulting in a much more plausible colonial outcome.
- Balance-wise, colonial manpower and financial yield has fortunately been cut down quite a lot, making colonization less critical and keeping focus in Europe
- Stability-wise, last session we (12 players) played about 22 years in about 2 hours and 10 minutes which I believe is impressive even with EU2MP standards.

No it's not yet perfect, but it is nowadays pretty damn fun. You should check it out :)

The only things thats missing is a good scenario. But that will come :).

War still sucks tbh. Thats the worse part of Eu3.

yes, smn, thanks, but please inform when they fix attrition bug during combat, and make attrition of province controller like eu2. Then i`ll go to buy NA.

I`m happy they could finally put down colonization benefit and some fuckness of the laggy interface. When did i write about it ? 6 months ago ?

P.S. Did they fix DP sliders default values ?

Why rehash your old opinions about either EU2 or EU3 here?

There is a new patch out for EU3 NA, that possible fixes some issues for those who had a problem with EU3 (mainly the lag issues). That's something not everyone will be aware of and is thus worth posting here, as are your experiences with that specific patch. That's new information.

Repeatedly posting here that you don't like EU3 isn't.

Last edited:
Tonioz said:
yes, smn, thanks, but please inform when they fix attrition bug during combat, and make attrition of province controller like eu2. Then i`ll go to buy NA.

I`m happy they could finally put down colonization benefit and some fuckness of the laggy interface. When did i write about it ? 6 months ago ?

P.S. Did they fix DP sliders default values ?

They might have. At least some issues about attrition has changed.

Teleporting leaders issue is still there, but now they at least can only be teleported when in controlled provinces. I haven't checked annihilation survival yet but I suspect that issue is still there.

Can you please give me a short summary of the issues you describe, first the way they worked when you last checked, then the way they should work to be 'fixed' so I can go and check.

smn, the most worrying and wrong in eu3 tactic for me were:
- while you fight the battle in the end of the month, both sides doesn`t have attrition.
- controller of the province receiving same or near same support in the province as owner+controller. Owner, who losts the control, gets same or near same support, as non-owner & non-controller. That made EU3 like CIV - no matter who owned the province, important who controls it. That kills the eu2 idea of biggest advantage of the defender - own lands. So no wonder that modern eu3 warfare (couple of months ago, when i asked several guys who play it), is gathering horde and moving against other horde.
- the way of the information of army`s arriving date. Since it is different period to reach different provinces, like in HoI and Vicky, the arriving date should be displayed same way - in separate window. Hovering over multiplie armies (often happenes with reinforcements and general battles) floods the eyes and bad help

- there were also other interface things which i disliked, linked with decision to make 1000 units instead of merged armies. But that will be never fixed of course.