Will Covert Action (Cut Origin) be introduced in Nemesis?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pancakelord

Lord of Pancakes
43 Badges
Apr 7, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Darkest Hour
1614126168976.png

Title. Was sniffing around for something to hold my attention and this stood out to me on an aspec video.

If there is any time in Stellaris' life when an Origin about Covert Actions ought to be brought back off the cutting room floor, an "Espionage" update is probably it.

IDK what the original plan for this was, did some file diving myself and only turned up the name plus that little green Icon, too.

Also, does anyone know of a mod that managed to re-create the escaped slaves origin [top row, middle, below]? The idea being you would start with escaped slave species from a bunch of existing empires.
1614126570937.png

I remember the devs saying in a comment it was cut for time as they couldn't get it to work due to how galaxy initialisation processes Species generation instructions, or something like that. I have a few ideas on how I could get it to spawn (involving events and military drop pods), though no point in trying them if someone's already figured out a way.

Also, purged but unbroken icon is begging to be made into an "Evil Hive" origin. Give them a ruined home system and a discount on becoming the Nemesis or faster purge speeds - time to the conquer the galaxy 2 electric boogaloo.

"Wrested from the weak" - "The flesh is Weak" I guess that was an origin about being forcibly synth ascended? Maybe all pops start emotionless too with their "humanity" removed - a la most Necrons, Would make for an interesting spiritualist-only origin where you go on a grand crusade to regain your biological bodies or try to "reconnect with the shroud".

Last edited:
Reactions:
I remember a mod that added escaped slaves. Idk the name tho. And i actually want to make a mod that re-adds several cut origins. Right now i dont have much done but i want to get back to it. For my mod i'm probably making my own version. If you want to see my mod(rn i just have a blank origin that i want to use to remake the purged but unbroke origin. I'm probably not going to do that one first. Just leaving it hidden in the mod files. Rn i want to do some easier origins as i intend for purged but unbroken to be a very very sstory driven origin. But also be quite dificult aswell as you would start with fewer pops and minor debufs. But be able to find more via an archeological site on your own planet. That once finished would progress the story.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Allright so the story for purged but unbroken in my mod will be that in this civilisation's distant past it was invaded by a fanatic purifier race. And nearly wiped out. But a few million specimens out of billions of population were preserved deep underground. The origin starts after a few of the underground areas that heald the cryo chambers stopped working. And the beings in the cryo chamber awoke and escaped. You start with no knowlage of your origional civilizations culture and get maluces to unity and society research. And you would rediscover your origional civlisations ethics and be given the option to embrace or to shun them. But most of all be on the search to figure out who almost wiped you out and more importantly who, or what saved your species. Also this origin would start with an advanced start fanatic purifier race somewhere in the galaxy. But it would spawn far away. Oh yeah and you start on a tomb world with tomb world preference(It will be explained in the story)

I might make this connected to one of the precursors or some other event chain. Idk tho.

I remember a mod that added escaped slaves. Idk the name tho. And i actually want to make a mod that re-adds several cut origins. Right now i dont have much done but i want to get back to it. For my mod i'm probably making my own version. If you want to see my mod(rn i just have a blank origin that i want to use to remake the purged but unbroke origin. I'm probably not going to do that one first. Just leaving it hidden in the mod files. Rn i want to do some easier origins as i intend for purged but unbroken to be a very very sstory driven origin. But also be quite dificult aswell as you would start with fewer pops and minor debufs. But be able to find more via an archeological site on your own planet. That once finished would progress the story.
Interesting.

My plan for the escaped slaves was to co-opt the army code, and forcibly trigger drop pods periodically on your new homeworld, using them as triggers for events.
  • So you'd start with 1-5 pops you designed in the species editor (which also would spawn elsewhere in the galaxy randomly as a primitive, advanced empire or regular empire)
  • And then you would slowly have "space debris" burn up near your homeworld (idk i'd spawn some crap around the planet to make it look like a giant slave-liner was breaking up) and this would trigger army invasions that would be suspended, giving you the option to either add the slaves to your colony or fight them.
    • It would be at this point that the game polls other planets in the galaxy (as everything is initialised) and pulls in potential species as slaves.
    • With the next DLC this could even serve as a way to get "free" intel on un-met empires or speed up first contact (its easy to speak Blorg when youve got a blorg with you already...)
  • You'd spawn with none of the starter techs but rapidly gain them by salvaging ruined slaver machinery around the home system
  • Give you an event chain to go and dismantle the slaver bases in nearby systems + spawn a advanced empire to act as your antagonist and give civilizations with this origin a -999 tolerance of any empire using slaves.
Basically what happens at the end of a Rimworld once youve got your base up and look to the stars.

Now to discuss what i feel some other origins might have been. Allright so first. Wrested from the weak. I think this could be 2 things. 1.
Interesting.

My plan for the escaped slaves was to co-opt the army code, and forcibly trigger drop pods periodically on your new homeworld, using them as triggers for events.
  • So you'd start with 1-5 pops you designed in the species editor (which also would spawn elsewhere in the galaxy randomly as a primitive, advanced empire or regular empire)
  • And then you would slowly have "space debris" burn up near your homeworld (idk i'd spawn some crap around the planet to make it look like a giant slave-liner was breaking up) and this would trigger army invasions that would be suspended, giving you the option to either add the slaves to your colony or fight them.
  • You'd spawn with none of the starter techs but rapidly gain them by salvaging ruined slaver machinery around the home system
  • Give you an event chain to go and dismantle the slaver bases in nearby systems + spawn a advanced empire to act as your antagonist and give civilizations with this origin a -999 tolerance of any empire using slaves.
I know in potent rebelions there are 2 new civics for empires that have emerged due to a slave revolt. Perhapse you could get inspiration from there. But yeah i like the idea. Also i propose this start makes everyone else advanced start. As you would be spawning in an already established galaxy with a galactic community if there was widespread slave trade.

Also make all pops have the fanatic egalitarian ethic.(Pops still can have fanatic ethics. But only the nu-baol pops you get from the last baol) This would be like that basicly. Maybe even have an event chain that would spawn in an escaped slaves empire in an already established game?

Alright my ideas for the other origins.
Wrested from the week. Either a eugenics origin or an origin where your species evolved in a enviorment with multiple sapient species in competition with eachother. Untill eventually only this species emerged. All the others were either enslaved or killed. Might be too similar to syncratic evolution.

Narrow escape/subterranean. The ones in modjam were good. I'll probably just include my mod in a collection including a standalone version of those 2 origins. And name thepack the scraped origins pack or something. Or maybe ill make my own version idk.

Eldest Sibling/Fratricide. Again i remember mods that add those origins. But idk if i still have them. One starts with primitives in your home system(they can be of your own species in the config) And the other starts you with a tomb world in your home system. I think these origins have much more potential however.

Messiah Cult. Just start with a chosen one leader with erudite. Gain a higher chance to role psionic theory. Must have imperial cult civic.

Covert action. For this one ill wait until nemesis is released and see if it has this one.

Birthed by calamity. This is obvious just an earlier version of clamtious birth. But mabie could be renamed and make into its own origin.

Observed devolution. I notice it says devolution instead of evolution. Perhaps a more unique origin? Idk if its just a typo tho. I'll figure that one out after thats figured out. If its devolution it might be too similar to my idea of 3rd times the charm and i might have to rework both origins a bit.

Overtuned. This species evolved on an exceptionally competitive home world. Resulting in more traits. Start with +10% biology research speed, some genetic techs already research(genome mapping and vitality boosters). A better chance to role genemodding. And +3 trait points and +1 trait pick.

Shroud Tocuhed. Start with the latent psionic trait and psionic theory allready researched. And give other bonuses i guess. Must be spiritualist.

3rd time's the charm. I honestly think this is an early version of remnents. But idk. Your civilisation had established an empire twice but both times lead to the civilisastion being thrown back into the stone age. Perhapse due to intervention by fallen empires. The effects would have somthing to do with fallen empires remembering you and not liking you. But them leaving remnents on your homeworld allowing you to unlock their stuff maybe. And discovering ruins in your home cluster.

Unwashed masses. This origin would basicly be that there was a worldwide uprising after the rich got too powerful or their was a 1984 like scenario and an equal system of government was established. Must be fanatic egalitarian and militarist. Would give +20% monthly unity. +5% society research speed. +5 stability on all worlds and -100 opinion with authortarian empires and -1000 with fanatic authoritarian empires. You would gain the liberation cb on all authortarian or fanatic authoritarian empires. And the containment total war cb on any fanatic authoritarian non pacifists or authoritarian militarist empires. Finaly would give a prosperous unfiication like modifier on your homeworld.

Last edited:
While were at it a vanilla+ origin that i think should be added. Symbiotic evolution. Self explanitory. Start with half of your pops being a 2nd species. Must be some degree of xenophile. Also you cannot enslave this species unless you shift your ethics to xenophobe first. And you could have 2 supremacist factions. 1 for each species. And neither would like eachother. Perhapse add some unique events aswell.(other empires can) Or perhapse make it so both species are a founder species and having both species be xenophobe together if that makes sense? Idk.