• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CrazyJ

Adhd Serenity
32 Badges
Nov 26, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
I bought the game a few days ago because i had been meaning to buy it for a while and seeing as i have nothing better to do i decided to try it, I fell in love with the game within the first few hours. Once i had played for an few hours to get a first impression and learn the basics i went on the official paradox wiki to see what i could learn to make my playthrough easier and give me an idea of what i wanted to do with my first empire. i do this with most games because i like to know what i am doing.

I went on the wiki and found there was dozen of missing descriptions and outdated pages, there was very little usable information. this is not par for the course with paradox wikis in my experience, I've played stellaris for years and spent dozens of hours on the wiki reading up on updates and mechanics. i did the same for surviving mars so it was a bit of a shock finding the wiki for planetfall being completely broken.

After that long winded explanation of why i am here, there is the question of why this is the case, is there another wiki that is currently in use? if so where can i find it, or is it simply that the wiki has fallen into disuse because noone cares enough to update it? the last edit i found other than a minor one i made myself was more than a week ago and there is next to no information on the Revelations dlc. i know this game's community isn't dead, the forum has way too much activity for that to be the case. so that begs the question, why is the wiki dead?

this is not meant to be a rant or a complaint, it is a legitimate question since it makes very little sense that a game this vibrant that is still receiving updates and dlc has a wiki that is outdated and incomplete

Reactions:
As I understand it, the Paradox wiki content for the various games is contributed by users on a volunteer basis. Stellaris has been out for a much longer time than Planetfall, and it has a much larger user base contributing and updating wiki content. I think that's the reason the wiki for this game is pretty thin. We don't have that big a user base (yet).

For newcomer info and orientation, I'd suggest looking at the "Guides" section on the Planetfall section of the Steam site. There's a lot of good info there, some of it in the form of video tutorials. There is good info and video tutorials here in the forum too, if you search on a topic.

Reactions:
It's also the case that the basics of Planetfall are a lot less arcane than those of, say, Stellaris. What you want to do with your first empire is the same thing you want to do with any empire: explore, expand, exterminate. (fourth x optional.) It would still be nice to have a wiki with good clear explanations of how less obvious game mechanics work, like we do for Age of Wonders III, or even better an official beginner's guide like we eventually got for Age of Wonders III, but between the in-game encyclopedia and the tutorials you should be able to get going fairly easily.

(okay, the tutorial kind of sucks. It mostly throws a dozen popups at you with "this button does this thing" and by the time you've clicked them away you've already forgotten most.)

That said, most of the essential explanation of what stuff does can be found here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828287381

(Disclaimer: I haven't read the guide since before the latest patch, but I checked and it is updated)

And for more detailed guides on units and factions you have this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2057256649

And for a handy out-of-game reference you have Tibbles' database:

https://minionsart.github.io/aowp/

(There used to be one for technology but it's pretty outdated now.)

Edit: And as Zenicetus says, there are also a lot of video tutorials but I never have the patience to watch this so I don't know which are good.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have thought about adding to the wiki for a while now, but it seems like a lot of the numbers and details will change a lot over the next year or so. I got a quite a few guides for planetfall on my YT channel that you may find useful:

Reactions:
Hey Guys, I'm not making any promises but I might be able to arrange/find some time every once in a while to update the wiki. Cause, while the intention is that the wiki is a community thing, there is currently no good basis to work from. Feel free to leave suggestions as to which pages/entries need to most love. Try to prioritise those a bit in regards to how useful they'd be for other users as well and I'll see what I can do.

Reactions:
When I was playing AoW3 I loved to start looking at a class/race combination to plan for a build. Currently the Planetfall Wiki is not good enough to do that, and only in-game I can study the tech tree. But in-game I cannot cut and paste text fragments to make a little text document with notes to order my thoughts.

I loved the presentation in the AoW3 Wiki where you have all units of a race and or class on one page and you can fold and unfold the sections in and out to see more details, practically all details if you want to, while still not losing the overview.

Reactions:
@CrazyJ there is thread on the wiki of the game:

The most helpful in that thread are this two:
The one @Iguanaonastick mentioned:
This one has lots of units and things.

And this other one:
Which is a tech-tree, sadly not updated for Revelations :(

Other than that the forum and the in-game wiki are the best sources of info :)

Reactions:
Feel free to leave suggestions as to which pages/entries need to most love. Try to prioritise those a bit in regards to how useful they'd be for other users as well and I'll see what I can do.

Some things I've run into as a new player, ranked in approximate priority.
  1. Unit Mods; there's effectively no unit mod section and having an easily searchable table (like minionsart, but on one page for all mods) would help a great deal in finding specific things, either for planning general strategies or to respond to specific threats. With how important unit mods and unit mod combinations are, this has been my biggest issue.
  2. A good way to see what each race/secret tech choice enables, in terms of techs, units and mods as a whole. This is trickier than strict data entry, which is what the Unit Mods section needs, because it'd be linking what would naturally be separate pages, so I'm not sure of the best approach here.
  3. A way to see what Unit Traits, Status Effects, etc actually mean/do; they're easily searchable in game so this isn't quite as high a priority - the previous two aren't really presented in game in a way you can easily see the total available across race / secret techs / npc factions, which is what a wiki could be very good at.

Reactions:
1589722690025.png

I've been updating the Unit/Mod database, added a search for mods, cleaned some stuff up.

1589722778563.png

And I'm building my own version of the tech tree, mine isn't using screenshots like the outdated one so I can easily update it.
W.I.P. but should be done for the new expansion.

• 3Like
Reactions: