• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

unmerged(88697)

Colonel
3 Badges
Dec 10, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
I'm at Mission 7 and just beginning to get the hang of ship design. It's good that the game allows one to change decisions because ship roles evolve over time.

What I mean is:

The Rover is used for exploration because it was the only one with scan ability. By the end of Mission 5 I got to thinking that Rovers were too ill equipped for discovery work (too slow, under armored, and no defensive weapons), and so began looking for a replacement. The Javelin seemed adequate for the job, but it's also slow, and had too few damage points to survive any kind of encounters.

So, what other ship in the fleet has scanning ability, is fast moving, and has good armor and hit points??

One gets the Corsair fairly early on. But, this ship is big, expensive to build, and doesn't seem to have any other role than taking over large enemy ships and bases. Mind you that should be enough, but since Invaders are so efficient at reducing large ships and bases (and small ships are much easier to replace), I thought the Corsair would quickly go by the wayside. But, I was wrong.

I hadn't built any Corsairs for a few missions before #7 when one is required to build one (I tried using the Ulysses II but that didn't work). So, since I hadn't put any bonus's on the Corsair it became necessary go back a few missions, and that's when I discovered its potential.

The Corsair has a scanning ability, and is a big ship with lots of armor and hit points (240). So, I tried it out in the Exploration role during Mission 6 where there is lots of space to cover in very little time. And, it did a fantastic job! When maxed it out on speed and armor--this ship really gets up and goes. It also has turbo mode designed to quickly close with stations, but that turns out better than "dash" if one must get by lone Artillery pieces. One Corsair took critical damage far from base, but still came back very quickly because it's so fast.

Anyone else have thoughts on the Corsair?

Last edited:

PapaKarlo

Recruit
24 Badges
Oct 31, 2011
  • Ancient Space
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
I always use what's closer, cuz don't see a reason to have a ship dedicated for scanning role. Clear the build locations, start repairing-building, scan some anomalies while you are busy.

ParadogsGamer

General
54 Badges
Oct 27, 2007
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
I love the Corsairs and use them all the time in the upgraded mode - as you can see in my videos. There are missions where they are unavailable though, so you need to mix it up from time to time.

unmerged(88697)

Colonel
3 Badges
Dec 10, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
Since this posting I've discovered the Prism. At first it seems like a useless vessel, but I've found some good uses for it.

First, it has the ability to convert energy, which is most useful in early build-up. Building more stations or more ships quickly is one of the keys to winning Scenario #5 (the alien antenna).

Second, the Prism has a scanning ability. Although it's not very fast, it can be used on Dash to perform the exploration task. And, not being a front-line ship, it's not missed by the fleet if there's a battle to be fought.

Third, the Prism has a good number of damage points, and it's reverse damage ability makes it hard to destroy. So, it usually survives long enough in enemy territory to complete exploration missions.

Bonus: The Prism works well as a reconnaissance craft. Dash in. Look around. Then back-off. It can take the heavy pounding from Artillery, and fend-off smaller ships to boot.

Good ship, the Prism. I also turn it in for resources when the exploration phase is done with (Prism lost!).

Last edited: