• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

akinata

Major
24 Badges
Jun 8, 2020
  • Semper Fi
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
as i just finished an online game with a friend and some AI i noticed several AI behavior i havn't really payed attention to before.
here all the little bizzarre things i have encountered. (all screen shots were made around turn 70)

first of all, and one that makes the AI even easier to beat, is its army stacking on the strategic map..
2 times in a row did it attack me with 3 full stack and one unit.
the problem is that by doing so i can (and the AI does it too) attack the lonely dude beside its army to attack only a part of his forces leading me to an easy victory. (check the pictures to understand. white is me, Ai is purple.)

Capture d’écran (40).png

Capture d’écran (41).png

but the AI make it even more easier to beat it as it will always use his first set of mods for its units.
as such all its armies have the same t1 mods, even at turn 70. even my allies who played vanguard had the same exact t1 mods
with the excption of a jetpack for a few enginners.

Capture d’écran (39).png

Capture d’écran (43).png

even the tank has the same modding as the soldier.
there was also an amazon player with the same amazon accross all its units.

sometime you even have that kind of wierd modding with a hero equiped with 2 jetpakcs..

Capture d’écran (42).png

now lets talk about AI strategy trait. especially if a dvar xenoplague get that trait.
the trait should force the AI to focus on the secret tech.
unfortunately that dvar AI didn't got any xenoplague units except one in all its armies. truly a shame.
(one that survived since the beginning of the game.)
all its armies were mostly composed of bees, support and scout .

and that leads us the next problems, the support units overspam.
it is not a consistant thing as you can see on the picture with the purple army, but when he attacked me for the first time (i mean when he came defending his territory i was ravaging because he refused to commit any sort of attack until my sectors got nearby his sectors..) he had on stack full of pugs and enginners.
same goes with the dvar and amazons of that game, each stack had at least 3 biomancers or dvar grenadelauncher&scouts. (+ bees.)
i could understand tho if the dvar wanted to use the fist ability from its support unit because it was xenoplague. but it didn't even used the right mod to generate pustule after battle.

i also noticed that more and more quests units kept stacking up on the map after a certain time like the Ai suddenly stopped doing them. it might be usefull if the AI could just refuse some npc quests depending on its war state and nearby threats or distance between armies and quest depending on quest threat level.