• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
trekaddict said:
He's one of them! RUN FOR THE HILLS! :D

Runs after trekaddict with 'Weißwürste' in one hand and big glass of pure and in the other a big glass of good, old Bavarian Beer!!!:D While singing some good old Bavarian songs! "In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus...." :D

Sorry robw963, I couldn't resist! :D Now then if I can bribe you to have Bavaria released!

Zauberfloete said:
Runs after trekaddict with 'Weißwürste' in one hand and big glass of pure and in the other a big glass of good, old Bavarian Beer!!!:D While singing some good old Bavarian songs! "In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus...." :D

Sorry robw963, I couldn't resist! :D Now then if I can bribe you to have Bavaria released!

Drives away in his souped up Mercedes SLK 55 AMG.

WIELKOPOLSKA - Phase 2 - Cutting Off Essen

header3.jpg

October 26, 1939 - 16:00 - Recapture of Stralsund (again):

The straggling Armia Lodz and Armia Pomorze begin now to trickle into Stralsund...as it turns out, just in time.

102639_stralsund.jpg

October 26, 1939 - 17:00 - Rostock:

Just as Armia Lodz arrives in Stralsund, the Germans launch a surprise night attack from Rostock on Potsdam in a bid to either recapture Berlin or connect with Cottbus (with the AI, who knows which). I only have a single infantry korp defending Potsdam, but I seize the opportunity to flank attack Rostock with my newly arrived troops. I lose in Postdam, but wear the Germans down in Rostock preventing them from exploiting their victory. To further pressure the Germans, I then attack Lübeck in the hope of trapping the Germans divisions in Rostock before they can retreat. After 3 days of continuous combat, I recapture the initiative and both battles in Rostock and Lübeck are won. I had hoped to capture some of the German ships docked in Rostock, but unfortunately I fail.

anim44.gif

October 29, 1939 - 6:00 - Dortmund:

Now that my infantry has arrived in Kassel, I'll attempt another attack on Dortmund...this time with a lot more support for the cavalry. Taking Dortmund is an important objective since its capture will effectively doom all German forces in the north by cutting them off from their supply source in Essen.

anim45.gif

November 1, 1939 - 7:00 - The Approaching Winter:

Already, signs of winter can be seen. I've already experienced some winter fighting in the Bavarian Alps of Lech, but gradually I'm beginning to see signs of lower temperatures and frozen terrain at lower elevations as well.

110139_weather.jpg

November 1, 1939 - 9:00 - At the Doorstep of Essen:

1. Korp Kawaleria arrives in Dortmund at 9:00 and immediately launches a probing attack on Essen which is lightly defended with a single German garrison division. I decide to not press the attack until my infantry can catch up.

110139_dortmund.jpg

November 2, 1939 - 0:00 - IC Status:

I'm climbing, Germany's declining. There it is.

110239_ICstatus.jpg

November 2, 1939 - 6:00 - Hannover:

Now that I have the German forces in the north cut off from their supply source, I'll press the advantage and send POLSKA 1 into Hannover. The battle ends quickly although I expect to meet sporadic resistance as the Germans attempt to move their forces south in an attempt to break out of the encirclement.

anim46.gif

November 3, 1939 - 0:00 - A New Garrison Division:

Another garrison division is now ready for deployment. I decide to put the garrison in Bratislava since this area currently has the highest revolt risk coupled with 8 IC giving me the greatest return on my IC/manpower investment. Notice that the garrison unit also lower revolt risk in adjacent provinces.

armor_train2.gif

Garrison Police arriving in Bratislava by Armored Train

anim47.gif

November 3, 1939 - 3:00 - Nazis Attempt to Retake Kassel:

Right after midnight, the Germans attempt to cut me off in Dortmund by attacking Kassel where I'm relatively weak (Kassel is defended by only 2 infantry korps). The German attack is 2-sided, 1 from Münster (which is cut off from supply) and the other from Saarbrücken (currently in supply). I respond immediately with my own 2 pronged attack and after a day's fight the battle is won. I've sent my cavalry to advance into Saarbrücken. It's capture will isolate the remainder of Germany from their supply source in Essen.

anim48.gif

Last edited:
Great!

Too bad you didn't get any ships, but that was expected.

As I don't know how far ahead you have played I am going to give one suggestion.

When you try to take the German provinces touching the French border, have one unit (preferably Cavalry) on offensive suppy attack the border un sycronized. Even though the French Ai hasn't attacked the solitary German garrisons with it's 15+ divisions, have 0 troops in that provence might startle the French AI into attacking, and who knows if they have armour or something fast that might get there before you.

Hopefully you capture every single German provence, leaving none to your Anglo-French "allies".

Victory is closer and closer...

@ Jedrek: Thanks for sharing these names with me. Many I knew...but some I didn't. I'm not sure I'll be editing the map to make these names come to life (it's kind of a pain to change)...but who knows? I might get a sudden burst of motivation to go make those changes.

@ Zauberfloete: I'm sorry to tell you I won't be releasing any German puppets...Bavaria or otherwise. I'm eager to gain the IC and manpower I've captured. Even with the 20% efficiency cap on captured IC, it's still a significant amount (I'll likely have an additional 40-50 IC from captured German industry). I'm also eager to keep as much manpower as I possibly can. I started the war with a daily manpower gain of around .40. I'll likely have something like .60 after I annex Germany which is a nice 50% increase.

@ Colenel Bran: I really believe releasing puppets is overrated...but certainly I appreciate the arguments to the contrary. Don't be sad! Butter yellow is a beautiful color :)

@ Chief Savage Ma: You're right...I'm trying to build up my industry/manpower as high as I possibly can in anticipation of a war with the Soviet Union. I'll need every last drop I can squeeze out of conquered territory.

@ Ghost Writer: I believe the efficiency rating for resource extraction in annexed territory is 50%...according to the wiki anyway...I'll test after I've annexed to see if I find anything different. As for the colored text in your posts...I love it...don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You're about the best fan in this forum and for that I thank you.

@ robou: That's a very good guess! I promised the troops would be home by Christmas and it's looking like I'll be able to keep my promise.

@ Mico 94: The German general you asked about is named Major General von Mackensen. It's not a very flattering picture...I agree, but he's a level 4 Panzer Leader...ugly or not.
mackensen.jpg

@ Maj. von Mauser: good tip on taking the provinces adjacent to the French border. I've experienced what you warned about (an empty German province suddenly waking the French AI). Actually I did just as you suggested. Cavalry on Offensive supply are heading into those provinces as we speak.

@ elbasto: I think I agree...the long gifs are tedious to make and not necessarily the best way to communicate the flow of the campaign. I'm noticing a lot of questions from people about things that are answered in the animations themselves...but they may never get viewed because most don't have the patience to sit through each animation start to finish. I may tone that down somewhat in future campaigns. As for centering the images, I've elected to left align most things because I generally prefer left aligned text vs. center aligned text and I prefer having everything align along the left edge. It's a subjective thing...could go either way, but since I've established this as my standard I'll stick with it.

@ Enewald: Cottbus was a mistake. I should never have allowed that retreating German division to recapture it. I decided to not recapture it for now because Cottbus is a virtually useless province. It has no manpower, no industry and no victory points. I figured why retake it now when it will only burden my TC a little more? I'll end up up with it anyway when I annex and I'll be a little further ahead from a resouorce perspective because it's currently collecting resources at the full German ownership rate.

Last edited:
trekaddict said:
Have you considered tech team takeover?
Since I'm playing Doomsday and not Armageddon, tech team takeover isn't an option for me. I have made a custom event called Loot the German Research Labs (which will be unveiled shortly) that makes up for that somewhat and will give me some choices of German blueprints. There are some consequences to the event which make it a little more interesting...stay tuned for that.

Now that Germany is on the verge of extinction, I can do nothing but wonder about what is coming next!

Too bad. You could seriously need some of them... Imagine.. POLISH MOON LANDING!

IIRC I hadn't reacted since the start of your AAR, but I catched up during the last week. Awesome AAR!

robw963 said:
Since I'm playing Doomsday and not Armageddon, tech team takeover isn't an option for me. I have made a custom event called Loot the German Research Labs (which will be unveiled shortly) that makes up for that somewhat and will give me some choices of German blueprints. There are some consequences to the event which make it a little more interesting...stay tuned for that.

You inspired me to play a '36 GC as Poland, could you please post that event, so I could copy it?

Colonel Bran said:
Lol One small step for a man but a giant leap for Poland!
How do you say that in Polish. :)

'Jeden mały krok dla człowieka, ale wielki krok dla Polski!'

Great AAR btw, though I wish you would release some puppets - if not for pure gameplay reasons, then for roleplaying (after all with your great skills at HoI2 it would be better challenge). :)

So the sectors are divided and now it simply becomes a game of advancing. Then, onwards to the east! *insert appropriate Polish word*

thrashing mad said:
'Jeden mały krok dla człowieka, ale wielki krok dla Polski!'

Great AAR btw, though I wish you would release some puppets - if not for pure gameplay reasons, then for roleplaying (after all with your great skills at HoI2 it would be better challenge). :)

So there isn't any distinction between step and leap in Polish?

It's about time you reveal your post war plans for Germany isn't it? I just hope it won't be outright occupation (unless it's for 1-2 years.)
A Czech Republic including Sorbia? Kiel on a 49 year lease? Only robw963 knows!

Oh the suspense!