• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Winner said:
Czechoslovakia is liberated... or at least freed from German occupation, yay! :)
Prague was a quick and relatively non-destructive battle so beautiful Prague was spared. Unfortunately, Himmler escaped so his punishment will have to wait. I'm confiscating all German chicken farms just in case.

robw963 said:
Prague was a quick and relatively non-destructive battle so beautiful Prague was spared. Unfortunately, Himmler escaped so his punishment will have to wait. I'm confiscating all German chicken farms just in case.

I like Prague, although its been a few years since I last was there.

Unfortunately Berlin will be heavily fought over, as always.... :(

robw963 said:

Good. Of course as a true citizen of Brno, I shouldn't care much about the evil seat of centralizing Pragocentrism, but it would be a shame if all that historic (or is it historical in English? I am not sure right now) buildings were destroyed. It always saddens me when I see the damage done to German historic towns during the war.

trekaddict said:
I like Prague, although its been a few years since I last was there.

Unfortunately Berlin will be heavily fought over, as always.... :(

Perhaps not. He can just keep it encircled and let the fanatics there starve and surrender. Unless they can be supplied by the city itself...

Winner said:
Perhaps not. He can just keep it encircled and let the fanatics there starve and surrender. Unless they can be supplied by the city itself...

All supplies originate from Berlin, so Berlin would never starve to death, wheras the rest of Germany would.

Maj. von Mauser said:
All supplies originate from Berlin, so Berlin would never starve to death, wheras the rest of Germany would.

Yeah, it's a bit of a gamey tactic in this came, unfortunately; there should probably be "secondary" capitals. Perhaps even "provincial" capitals.

robw963: ...Cottbus is secure. And a small apology to the Iraqi Air Force who did in fact provide air cover for me during this battle.

splendid ! ! also, no need to apologize for (gratefully) accepting allied help ! ! :)

awesome updates ! ! :cool:

fortunately the soviets aren't keeping their promises from the ribbentrop-molotov pact (mainly due to the way it is implemented in the game ;) )
anyway if the soviets dowed you, you'd literally have absolutely no chance at all.

gooy said:
fortunately the soviets aren't keeping their promises from the ribbentrop-molotov pact (mainly due to the way it is implemented in the game ;) )
anyway if the soviets dowed you, you'd literally have absolutely no chance at all.
You're right. If the Soviets invaded now, Poland would die very quickly.

However consider this: September 17th was not a prescribed date in the Molotov/Ribbentrop agreement for Soviet intervention. It was a panicked/rushed reaction on the part of Stalin to the astounding speed of the German advance and upon their reaching Warsaw his realization that he had to grab his half before the Germans gobbled up the entire country. The Soviet Army at this point in time was reeling horribly from the Purges and was barely up to the task (as evidenced 3 months later in the Winter War in Finland). My guess is that Stalin was expecting he had much more time before his intervention would become necessary and was all the time mindful of world political implications of a Soviet invasion. That's why he issued all sorts of half-baked proclamations about their intervention in eastern Poland to "protect" Ukrainian and Belorussian ethnic minorities...he was after all quite the philanthropist.

I think Paradox got this event right. Soviet intervention is triggered by German occupation of Warsaw....not a specific date.

Winner said:
it would be a shame if all that historic (or is it historical in English? I am not sure right now) buildings were destroyed.

It is indeed historic. Something is historic if it is important in history, and historical if it existed within history. If you were to use 'historic' people would understand from your words that it was the unique nature of the buildings as being from a previous era that was the main reason you were upset about them being destroyed (as I believe is your intention). If you used the word 'historical' you would merely be clarifying that the buildings in question had existed in the past.

Now, historical buildings that still exist are almost necessarily historic so you can refer to that building down the street as 'historical' and have it mean the same things as 'historic.' But when you're talking about buildings that existed in the past 'historical' seems more like just a clarification.

robw963 said:
I think Paradox got this event right. Soviet intervention is triggered by German occupation of Warsaw....not a specific date.
the trigger itself seems reasonable but the soviets don't dow and don't really have to fight (coz this way the soviets might end up in a war with the allies).
it's probably the best possible option for the hoi2 diplomacy mechanics but it still shows that it should be made better for the hoi3.
onwards to berlin !! :)

Symmetry said:
It is indeed historic. Something is historic if it is important in history, and historical if it existed within history. If you were to use 'historic' people would understand from your words that it was the unique nature of the buildings as being from a previous era that was the main reason you were upset about them being destroyed (as I believe is your intention). If you used the word 'historical' you would merely be clarifying that the buildings in question had existed in the past.

Now, historical buildings that still exist are almost necessarily historic so you can refer to that building down the street as 'historical' and have it mean the same things as 'historic.' But when you're talking about buildings that existed in the past 'historical' seems more like just a clarification.

Thanks, these things are kinda hard to find in dictionary ;)

gooy said:
the trigger itself seems reasonable but the soviets don't dow and don't really have to fight (coz this way the soviets might end up in a war with the allies).
it's probably the best possible option for the hoi2 diplomacy mechanics but it still shows that it should be made better for the hoi3.
onwards to berlin !! :)

In some mods, Poland is not a part of the Western alliance and Soviet Union DOWs it. I think it's a good solution too, since Britain and France didn't really offer Poland and real support in OTL.

robw963 said:
@ Aux_Teergois: I won't be releasing Czechoslovakia as a puppet because I have a custom event called 'Wielkopolska' which awards cores to me in parts of Czechoslovakia and other areas. I'm also not a big fan of releasing puppets, with a few exceptions. Interesting to hear that there were plans to do so IRL...I wasn't aware of that.

It was discussed between Sikorski and Benes in London. The idea was to form a structure which would also affect some soert of whole european alliance/confederation - in short it was another angle for the development of the future EU. Ideas were coming from various directions for sure.

Anyway it was done later, in the exile and it is hardly your problem. On the other hand Slovakian separatists had a pro-Polish faction while Czechoslovak legion was formed in Poland (regimental size) and fought in 1939 in the south (attached to Army Kraków).

However consider this: September 17th was not a prescribed date in the Molotov/Ribbentrop agreement for Soviet intervention. It was a panicked/rushed reaction on the part of Stalin to the astounding speed of the German advance and upon their reaching Warsaw his realization that he had to grab his half before the Germans gobbled up the entire country. The Soviet Army at this point in time was reeling horribly from the Purges and was barely up to the task (as evidenced 3 months later in the Winter War in Finland). My guess is that Stalin was expecting he had much more time before his intervention would become necessary and was all the time mindful of world political implications of a Soviet invasion. That's why he issued all sorts of half-baked proclamations about their intervention in eastern Poland to "protect" Ukrainian and Belorussian ethnic minorities...he was after all quite the philanthropist.

German announcement about the fall of Warsaw on the 16th September had something to do with it. Another thing was French decision to cancel any offensive (as if there were any...) operations made on the 12th which leaked to Moscow through their spy network in Paris. Originally, probably the French made the decision also based on their knowledge of the secret protocol of the M-R Pact (from their or American sources).
So ironically the French made no move because of the Pact while the Soviets made their move according to the agreement because the French cancelled their offensive because the Soviets signed the pact... :wacko:

robw963 said:
September 21, 1939 - 0:00 - Germans in Bydgoszcz on the Verge of Surrender:

Today (10 days later) the Germans are STILL retreating westward towards Küstrin which is now firmly in Polish control. It won't be long now before these 14 German divisions surrender.

Ehh it is too bad that retreats aren't simulated well enough - retreating units should be really dangerous for some time. Maybe HoI III will make it right.

11 days after their defeat in the Bydgoszcz pocket, 14 German divisions finally surrender. Peeking at the Army Comparison sheet in the ledger reveals a clear numerical advantage over the Germans now.

You could achieve some easy victories by clearing those garrisons in Austria - the Ai might be distracted a bit as well. You don't need to occupy the terrain after all, just clear the approach to your defensive positions. :)

TheEnlighted1 said:
This game could get very boring after you utterly crush the Germans in another month or so...

Not necessarily - he could leave the Allies and try to forge a new alliance in central-eastern europe. Released puppets like Slovakia might serve it quite well (or its territory might be given to Hungary, Presov would be most likely tranferred in real life) by providing more BPs. Germany could be enough to provide IC to compete with the Allies and Comintern.

Besides things like invading America or fighting as far as Siberia with the Soviets surely change the general feeling of the game. Global strategy of course which means less detailed reports are the norm in such a situation.

Anyway it is for later stages of the game - besides naming all those carriers, battleships etc due to the lack of proper names in the names.txt is quite unnerving and time consuming. :)