• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Winner said:
Well, the choice between Nazi Germany and authoritarian Poland is tough one, but Poland still comes out as the lesser evil ;)

:rolleyes:

Last time you wrote it was semi-authoritarian - something changed ?

@robw963

Perhaps a number of changes with the techteams after Germany is defeated ?

Vanilla teams suck and do not have even a half of real life possibilities and options, but even without it it is quite understandable some improvements in technology would be achived - e.g. better naval teams (shipyard), slightly better infantry/artillery teams.

Are the new cores establshed somehow along the area where Polish language was dominating ?

polishclaims-ethnicsdetails.jpg

Ignore the numbers...

The map is about the early 1900s - some things changed during 1917-1922 period and the much later NKVD ethnical cleansings in two Polish autonomus regions of the SU (details in the web, it is against the forum's policy to add more here).

Last edited:
cegorach said:
:rolleyes:

Last time you wrote it was semi-authoritarian - something changed ?

@robw963

Perhaps a number of changes with the techteams after Germany is defeated ?

Vanilla teams suck and do not have even a half of real life possibilities and options, but even without it it is quite understandable some improvements in technology would be achived - e.g. better naval teams (shipyard), slightly better infantry/artillery teams.

Wel, if he has tech-team takeover on at least when he annexes Germany he gets a few really nifty ones.

trekaddict said:
Wel, if he has tech-team takeover on at least when he annexes Germany he gets a few really nifty ones.

Doesn't he play Doomsday BTW ?

Besides the game is missing several quite important real life teams - WOS in Bydgoszcz (paratrooper school), CWOL in Deblin (very good piloting/fighter school ), PZT (electronics), RWD/DWL and LWS (aircrafts), Politechnika Warszawska (electronics, rocketry) etc.
Simply vanilla Poland is half-raw product.

cegorach said:
Doesn't he play Doomsday BTW ?

Besides the game is missing several quite important real life teams - WOS in Bydgoszcz (paratrooper school), CWOL in Deblin (very good piloting/fighter school ), PZT (electronics), RWD/DWL and LWS (aircrafts), Politechnika Warszawska (electronics, rocketry) etc.

Agreed.

cegorach said:

This is true, but mostly balance; France, after all, should not have worse tech teams than Sweden.

Faeelin said:
This is true, but mostly balance; France, after all, should not have worse tech teams than Sweden.

Or an excuse because people might actually think that designers didn't do their work properly if it wasn't all concealed under one, huge, white sheet named balance...
Balance after all can be achived in several ways - mods be my witness. ;)

stefanmg said:
A prize well earned. Congratulations.

Indeed. Congratulations from me aswel.

robw963 said:
@ Middelkerke: I started a serial build of Garrisons just prior to the beginning of the war in anticipation of controlling revolt risk in conquered territory. I'll need more than the 12 I currently have building but I'm pinched for manpower currently so I'm building conservatively. Eventually I'll build many more with Police brigades, place them all on anti-partisan missions which will improve my TC and IC significantly.

Thats exacly why i asked. Your running out of MP maybe you should delay that build untill you have won the war against Germany...

after the 30 day plan is finished(succeslfuly i hope)
there will be the winter (war)
can't wait to see berlin crushed :D

@ Maj. von Mauser: thanks for noticing the little artillery video, although I'll have to admit it was a semi-unsuccessful experiment (way too much effort for very little results). The frame rate of the video doesn't mesh nicely with the pace of the combat window. I'd love to figure out a way to embed Flash movies in here instead, although I suspect Paradox's server might suffer some kind of meltdown if i try (even if they aren't hosting the files themselves).

@ Winner: well..they started it afterall :p Germany simply chose to invade a country which applied the old adage: preparation meets opportunity.

@ cegorach: VERY interesting map. I used a very similar version of that map when I was planning the areas outside Poland proper to includes as cores when the Wielkopolska event fires. Perhaps this is a good moment to reveal a bit more detail about the event itself. Given the pre-war animosities that existed between Poland and Lithuania, I felt it was unrealistic to create anything along the lines of a renewed Polish/Lithuanian union. At the same time, Poland is crippled with relatively low manpower so (using a map very similar to yours) I identified Polish speaking regions in neighboring countries and meshed that with the historical geographical range of previous Polish empires. The result awards Poland the following cores:
Lithuania:
• Jekapils
• Jelgava
• Mazirbe
• Kaunas
• Alytus
• Siauliau
Prussia:
• Memel
• Konigsberg
• Elbing
Eastern Germany:
• Stettin
• Kustrin
• Oppeln
• Breslau
Slovakia:
• Zilina
• Kosice
• Presov
• Ostrava
• Banska Bystrica

The trigger requires the following conditions:
Poland must control Kaunas - the Lithuanian capital
Lithuania cannot exist - to prevent a simple Polish invasion of Lithuania. I'm forced to wait for the scripted events which have the USSR annexing the Baltic states. I felt an event like this might change the hearts and minds of Lithuanians and make a re-union with Poland more possible.
Poland and the Soviet Union must be at war - I'm imagining a tide of Polish patriotism in context with yet another struggle vs. the Russians

There are a few other minor effects of the event, but I'll leave a little something to mystery for now.

@ trekaddict: As for tech teams, exactly right, I'm using Doomsday so there will be no tech team takeover. I've fiddled with a few event options when Germany is annexed that award tech teams to Poland, but in this version for the AAR, I'll be using a watered down version called Loot the German Research Labs that will present Poland with options to gain blueprints organized by different branches of the armed forces (Army, Navy, Air Force) with various consequences depending on the choice. I wanted it to be fun...but not a cakewalk.

@ Middelkerke: I felt that 12 garrisons was an absolute bare minimum occupation force for the annexed territories I anticipate after a successful war with Germany. Garrisons require 8 manpower each and will be produced at a rate of approx. 1 per month. I should be able to expect manpower growth of at least 12 manpower per month which is barely enough to cover combat losses.There's no question it's tight, but to completely ignore partisan risk (particularly in heavy IC German provinces) is unwise. I'll just need to allocate manpower to the most damaged divisions more prudently.

KiMaSa said:
And Congratulations to this week's Writaar of the Week! robw963! Well done sir!
thankyou.jpg

Thank You! I really appreciate that! It's a real bonus to be recognized for doing something that I enjoy doing. I've loved this game for a long time. This AAR has become the ideal outlet for my interest in history, strategy, graphical presentation, and overall tinkering...not to mention sharing with a community of like-minded, intelligent people. I've been lurking and following your Forging Destiny: Sunrise of a new world AAR with interest. I admire your ability to write a story, a skill I don't possess and envy greatly!

But can I confess something? I'm not exactly sure what the responsibilities of being WritAAR of the Week entails. I believe it will be my turn to select the next recipient in a week? Is that the cycle? Every Sunday? Can you tell I'm a bit wet behind the ears with the whole AAR business? :) Your guidance here would be most appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for your continued interest and support. I'll do my best to continue to produce updates that inform and entertain. As things progress, I may pick up the pace a bit since at the rate I'm currently going, it'll take me longer to write the AAR than the RL timeframe of the game. :eek: I'll experiment with some ways to move things along faster without sacrificing the granular detail I enjoy presenting.

You are to go into a certain thread, thank everyone, say essentially what you said in that post, and in a few days nominate the next WritAAR of the week.

Now for the other stuff: For me my AAR is the platform on which I can 'fix' things that I thought went disastriously wrong and can also create worlds I'd like to experience one day. :D

robw963 said:
thankyou.jpg

Thank You! I really appreciate that! It's a real bonus to be recognized for doing something that I enjoy doing. I've loved this game for a long time. This AAR has become the ideal outlet for my interest in history, strategy, graphical presentation, and overall tinkering...not to mention sharing with a community of like-minded, intelligent people. I've been lurking and following your Forging Destiny: Sunrise of a new world AAR with interest. I admire your ability to write a story, a skill I don't possess and envy greatly!

But can I confess something? I'm not exactly sure what the responsibilities of being WritAAR of the Week entails. I believe it will be my turn to select the next recipient in a week? Is that the cycle? Every Sunday? Can you tell I'm a bit wet behind the ears with the whole AAR business? :) Your guidance here would be most appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for your continued interest and support. I'll do my best to continue to produce updates that inform and entertain. As things progress, I may pick up the pace a bit since at the rate I'm currently going, it'll take me longer to write the AAR than the RL timeframe of the game. :eek: I'll experiment with some ways to move things along faster without sacrificing the granular detail I enjoy presenting.

Just so and as trekaddict says. Bask in this week of glory then pass it on next Sunday.

As to mine own skills... I've personally thought that they pale in comparison to many of the talents on this forum. If there is a single piece of advice to give you or anyone else about writing it is write in whatever fashion comes natural to you. See? Simple! :cool:

robw963 said:
@ cegorach: VERY interesting map.

Language map, but I find it most accurate overall - ethnical maps are from later times, religion map is only accurate to some degree (greek-catholics counted as catholics, Polish protestants in Tseschen sometimes mixed with Germans etc) while this map actually uses early XXth century data which is a great thing.

I used a very similar version of that map when I was planning the areas outside Poland proper to includes as cores when the Wielkopolska event fires. Perhaps this is a good moment to reveal a bit more detail about the event itself. Given the pre-war animosities that existed between Poland and Lithuania, I felt it was unrealistic to create anything along the lines of a renewed Polish/Lithuanian union

Indeed it is.

Lithuanians were lost since the beginning of the XXth century - Lithuanian national revival, rise of nationalism and russyfication made that almost impossible.

Belorussians were too weak - Piłsudski initially toyed with the idea of an allied state, Bulak-Bułaczewski's division in 1920 is one of many proofs so autonomy was maximum they would ever get and even that was hard in the reality of late 1920s (border conflist with the SU continued and the Belorussians were one of many tools).

Ukranians however are much different option...

At the same time, Poland is crippled with relatively low manpower so (using a map very similar to yours) I identified Polish speaking regions in neighboring countries and meshed that with the historical geographical range of previous Polish empires. The result awards Poland the following cores:
Lithuania:
• Jekapils
• Jelgava
• Mazirbe
• Kaunas
• Alytus
• Siauliau

Questionable, but considering the manpower of the area and sizable Polish minority everywhere it might be fine. Besides some Lithuanians would find together with Poland - after all the 2nd Polish Corps had a Lithuanian battalion in real life in 'Wilno' Brigade of Kresowa (eastern borderland) division.
Some links were still pretty strong (sometimes literally between brothers or cousins - president Mościcki's for example)) and if propaganda makes Smetona look like a loser some might decide to throw their lot with Poland.

So overall fine with me.

Prussia:
• Memel
• Konigsberg
• Elbing

I don't think that Memel should count - Elbig and Konigsberg had Mazurian population which spoke in a dialect of Polish.

Eastern Germany:
• Stettin
• Kustrin
• Oppeln
• Breslau

Stettin wasn't even considered Polish by most optimistic nationalists, quite similar with Kurstin.

Slovakia:
• Zilina
• Kosice
• Presov
• Ostrava
• Banska Bystrica

In my opinion only a part of Ostrava and Presov if the Rusyns are convinced by propaganda + this would create a common border with Hungary (the task of Hungarian and Polish diplomacy during the entire interbellum) which could make a nice ally when Germany are finished and you leave the Allies - after all what they did for you ?

Perhaps a one time MP bonus ? 10 MP once in the game for example ?

IN addition you might add the old Polish Livonia i.e. southern Latvia, at least one obvious area with sizable Polish minority. In 1920 it was first liberated by Poles from Bolshevics and mostly given to Latvia, however certain region (15-25 villages/small towns) was later seized by the Latvians which had actually no meaningful impact on very good relations with this country (contrary to the similar move from the Czechs).
Liberated Latvia might be however greateful enough to actually return that area.

The trigger requires the following conditions:
Poland must control Kaunas - the Lithuanian capital
Lithuania cannot exist - to prevent a simple Polish invasion of Lithuania. I'm forced to wait for the scripted events which have the USSR annexing the Baltic states. I felt an event like this might change the hearts and minds of Lithuanians and make a re-union with Poland more possible.
Poland and the Soviet Union must be at war - I'm imagining a tide of Polish patriotism in context with yet another struggle vs. the Russians

There are a few other minor effects of the event, but I'll leave a little something to mystery for now.

Considering the entire Promethean doctrine and movement there are some possibilities.
Poland had pretty good links with Georgians, Azeri and Armenians as well as Crimean Tartars and of course Ukrainians.
Obviously not with all of those, but certain factions, yet there were Ukrainian, Georgian, Azeri, Armenian and Tartar officers (even several generals) in the Polish army (later many killed in Katyn).
We know that there was a plan to create Ukrainian liberation force consisting of three infantry and two cavalry divisions in case of a war.
It is quite easy to imagine a mixed 'Caucasus' division (legion).
After all the entire Prometheism was about blowing the SU/Russia (Russia since initially it was about the Tzarist empire and the idea is actually in a modified way still is in use) to pieces so creating a number of independent buffor states.
Not without some gains of course - Poles had a very important part in the creation of oil industry in Baku owning many of them before 1917 - surely there will be time to reclaim those rights ? :D

I know you didn't ask for an opinion, but here you have it anyway. ;)

cegorach said:
I know you didn't ask for an opinion, but here you have it anyway. ;)
Your opinion is interesting, informed and always welcome. I will say the event (as written) will remain unchanged, at least for this AAR. The cores added in eastern Germany are a stretch I'll admit. Soviet decisions in post World War 2 europe muddle the whole ethnic territorialism thing...certainly a touchy subject that I'll avoid going into much more than that (Breslau? Wroclaw? depends who you ask!). In the end, I added these cores because of the IC boost and a way of modeling what I expect would be a significant productivity increase to the Polish economy in the wake of a victory over Germany.

WIELKOPOLSKA - Phase 2 - Occupation of Breslau

September 19 - 20, 1939 - Fighting to Occupy Breslau:

On the morning of September 19 at 5:00, near the end of the 2nd German relief attempt at Stralsund further north, Armia Modlin arrives in Breslau and is immediately met with 2 separate German counter attacks by the forces rushed southwards from Berlin.

091939_breslau.jpg

The first attack is successfully repelled:

anim10.gif

As is the second which concludes in Polish control of Breslau:

anim11.gif

September 19 -20, 1939 - Exploiting the Gap:

During the second battle in Breslau, Armia Karpaty arrived in Hollabrunn to help 2 Korp Kawaleria exploit the gap in the German lines. By 23:00 the same day, 2 Korp Kawaleria arrives in Tábor where they are immediately sent westwards to Strakonice to exploit a gaping hole in the German lines.

091939_holla.jpg

092039_tabor.jpg

September 21, 1939 - German Production Capability:

Comparing German IC levels from 3 weeks ago, I can see that my plan to target Germany's production is beginning to take effect.

092139_gerIC.jpg

Last edited: