• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looking at the remaining strength in the German Divisions during the battle of Kustrin I can imagine that German Manpower is pretty well devastated right now >_>

You should consider yourself lucky that you aren't playing WiF mod. :D
A 40 hours battle is NOTHING there.

I once had a truly epic battle.
It lasted from the 12th of April til the 3rd of June.
At the height of it almost 70 Japanes divisions were fighting somehwat 90 Chinese divisions.
I won that battle, but had to retreat after it because the Chinese broke my lines in other provinces.

So be happy with that battle. :D

And: Very well done. I like the way you do this AAR very much!

Finally the kessel is closed and Berlin quite near! Are you going to go for it non-stop or wait to recover a bit?

Kurt_Steiner said:
Finally the kessel is closed and Berlin quite near! Are you going to go for it non-stop or wait to recover a bit?
I'm trying to use a north/south alternating attack scheme where north attacks while south rests and then north rests while south attacks and keep repeating that. My +20% org minister helps make things go as fast as possible. These long battle work against me...I'd prefer to keep up the speed and always push forward. Encirclement tactics with slow moving infantry is tricky!

Colonel Bran said:
Or are you going to release germany but with post 1945 borders, release austria and release the tjechs? Ofcours you are going to keep slovakia, right?
I will rarely release a puppet. I'm too greedy for IC and I don't like the dissent cost. Since I'm playing Doomsday, I don't get tech teams for conquering.

GhostWriter said:
how does this leave the balance of "power" (read that: non-garrison units comparison) with Germany ? ?
I'll post some screens from the army comparison ledger today. I'm resisting the temptation to use the nofog cheat as much as possible since I'm trying to make the game as challenging as possible...but I can't resist looking before and after a major encirclement!

Quanto said:
Looking at the remaining strength in the German Divisions during the battle of Kustrin I can imagine that German Manpower is pretty well devastated right now
I may load up as Germany just to get a glimpse at their manpower status...oh wait...that'd be cheating wouldn't it? :) Ehh...maybe not. I'm guessing Germany's bigger problem right now is (or soon will be) their declining IC and dissent. Once I start seeing German militia divisions in battle, then I know they're in big trouble. I think they still have plenty of fight left in them.

Admiral Yamamot said:
You should consider yourself lucky that you aren't playing WiF mod. :D
A 40 hours battle is NOTHING there.
I have a fair amount of experience playing TRP and it's the same thing there....very long battles which really changes strategy. I've been surprised at the number of long battles in this game. They seem unusually long for a vanilla game.

good now defeat them and get claims on western poland (todays) lithuania latvia czechoslovakia ukraine and belarus!
and then spread the national socializm of supreme poles! (i assume you will go against soviets then against allies)

pilsud_dreams2.jpg

I thought tank in Polish was Czolg...

Anyway, nice AAR. I don't think I've ever learned so much stuff about HoI2 in a single read before.

Mishgan said:

Anyway, nice AAR. I don't think I've ever learned so much stuff about HoI2 in a single read before.

Indeed, Tank=Czołg from czołganie=crawling.

EDIT: @Akaki: Sorry, apparently we were writing those posts at the same time :D

Mishgan said:

Pancerni is a very old term refering to the ancient druzhina type cavalry from the Xth century (alter replaced by knights) and later XVIIth century medium cavalry called pancerni (literally armour-clad).
Famous Polish Winged Hussars were described as Pancerni as well - this time the term was used to describe armoured cavalry.
In modern days Pancerni is used to describe armoured forces - for example today all tank units are named as units of armour-clad cavalry - Kawalerii Pancernej.
Since the units often have patrons from the previous centuries including various famous commanders of cavalry based armies it all in all fits it nicely.

@robw963

Wygrana isn't the best word to use. It sounds artificial since it is generally used to describe successes like winning a major prize in a lottery, winning a football match or in similar competion.
It also is quite useful to describe a success in neutral, not emotional way.

The right term here would be zwycięstwo i.e. victory.

BTW Tanks ? Fine, but what about paratroopers ?

http://www.arnhem1944.civ.pl/historia_zanim.htm

- the page describes here pre-war Polish paratrooper formations and their history. A brigade was planned for 1940 or early 1941.

hehe, Polish army near Berlin :cool:
I bet someone is hiding in a bunker there... :rolleyes:

cegorach said:
BTW Tanks ? Fine, but what about paratroopers?
The IC investment for paratroopers is huge, both for the paratroopers themselves and especially for the transport planes. I may end up developing them much later in the game but Poland simply doesn't have enough IC to justify the investment now. For now, I'd rather grow my conventional forces and auto-promote my leaders.

As for the controversy about the correct word use for Tanks. I wasn't intending to say tanks specifically...more like armored troops (Panzertruppen) or armored forces. I use the word Pancerni intentionally because I believe there was spirit in the Polish Army which drew upon the legacy of the winged hussars of the old days. For example, the real life Polish 1st Armored division used this symbol for the division:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:polish-1st-Armd-Div-Badge.jpg

BTW, I think it's funny to get more responses for Josef's dreams than for his exploits on the battlefield :p

The thing is, at least in my case, that whenever I read the updates the relevant stuff has already been said and I don't feel the need to spam posts (anymore). :)