• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The outcome hangs in the balance. Either the Poles succeed in taking Küstrin, or their forces in Stettin are destroyed and they'll be in serious trouble...

WIELKOPOLSKA - Phase 2 - The First Battle for Küstrin

September 9, 1939 - Status:

Just as I was beginning to recover from the loss of Poznan (which POLSKA 1 has now recaptured), losing Danzig again sets back my IC and manpower to below pre-war levels.

090939_status.jpg

September 9, 1939 - 6:00 - Maneuver in the South:

Near Bratislava, I conduct a series of moves with the goal of flanking Vienna and supporting an assault there.

090939_brat.jpg

September 9, 1939 - 8:00 - Assault on Küstrin:

While my attack on Bydgoszcz is taking place (to pin them in place), I attack Küstrin from 3 sides and initially I succeed easily.

090939_kustrin.jpg

anim5.gif

September 9, 1939 - 20:00 - Shifting More forces southward:

I need more Generals in the south so I pull Armia Poznan south towards Cracow while the Battle in Bydgoszcz still continues.

090939_shift.jpg

There won't be any Soviet attack as the event only triggers after the fall of Warzaw. :D

Good job!

Good job! The Germans can resupply them by sea though, so you need Danzig back right?

Shit, that's true. Danzing must be retaken to finish the job.

Definitely...Danzig can be a source of supply for the Germans even if they're pocketed.

Nice work! I see the old HOI1 tactic of freezing your opponent in a long battle works even in HOI2...

Looking forward to seeing more medals on Pilsudksi's chest!
TheExecuter

WIELKOPOLSKA - Phase 2 - The Second Battle for Küstrin

September 10-11 1939 - 0:00 - The Germans Try to Save Küstrin:

As Field Marshal Smigly-Rydz's POLSKA 1 army advances toward Küstrin, they encounter strong German reinforcements rushed into the gap in an attempt to relieve Bydgoszcz.

091039_kustrin.jpg

The second battle for Küstrin begins reasonably well with a clear numerical advantage for the Poles. However, determined German infantry supported by armor make a quick resolution to the battle difficult and the Germans (led by General von Manstein) progressively reinforce Küstrin through the course of the battle. The holding action in Bydgoszcz concludes very abruptly and unfortunately the German divisions there begin a retreat before the battle in Küstrin concludes.

anim6.gif

September 11, 1939 - 0:00 - Flanking Vienna:

Meanwhile in the south, 1. Korp Kawaleria arrives in Hollabrunn directly north of Vienna.

091139_holl.jpg

robw963: ...The key to all will be Küstrin.

so true ! ! :)

robw963:
...The holding action in Bydgoszcz concludes very abruptly and unfortunately the German divisions there begin a retreat before the battle in Küstrin concludes.

do any of those German divisions retreat to Danzig ? ? :D

best of luck ! !
:cool:

gooy said:
did you lose one tech team ?

No...I still have 3 tech teams. Tech teams are awarded based on Base IC:

0-19 Base IC: 1 Tech Team
20-39 Base IC: 2 Tech Teams
40-59 Base IC: 3 Tech Teams
60-79 Base IC: 4 Tech Teams
80 and above Base IC: 5 Tech Teams

Base IC is the right-most number in the IC display.

WIELKOPOLSKA - Phase 2 - The Second Battle for Küstrin cont'd

September 11-13 1939 - Küstrin - The Seemingly Endless Battle:

It's now a race to conclude the battle of Küstrin before the Germans retreating from Bydgoszcz can beat me there. I'm helped by the fact that the defeated Germans in Bydgoszcz had virtually no org left (for the exception of the armored divisions) which will cause their movement to be extremely slow. They will recover org during retreat as long as they're in supply...Küstrin MUST be captured at all costs.

I'm assisted in the middle of the battle by the arrival of Armia Lodz and 4 other korps at 21:00 on September 11 in Poznan. After nearly 72 total hours of combat, the Battle fot Küstrin is won.

091139_poznan.jpg

anim7.gif

pil_2.jpg

September 12-13 1939 - Meanwhile...During the Battle for Küstrin:

September 12, 1939 - 5:00 - Assault on Vienna

With the arrival of Armia Karpaty in Bratislava, I immediately launch an assault on Vienna.

091239_vienna.jpg

Vienna is defended by only 1 division and the battle ends in a victory after a 6 hour battle.

vic7.jpg

September 13, 1939 - 2:00 - Assault on Danzig

The previous evening, 10. Korp Piechoty arrived in Bydogoscsz after the victory there on September 11. They are immediately attacked by 3 German divisions in Danzig and manage to hold their own aided by a lack of supply for the Germans. The next morning at 2:00 on September 13, 1. Korp Kawaleria supported by 20. Korp Piechoty assaults Danzig.

091339_danzig.jpg

September 13, 1939 - 10:00 - Capture of Küstrin

At last POLSKA 1 arrives in Küstrin sealing 15 German divisions in the Bydgoszcz pocket. The German armor managed to escape before I could arrive, but this is still a success. In Danzig, 10. Korp Piechoty is forced to retreat by the desperate German attempt to escape, but I still have 1. Korp Kawaleria mounting an assault to recapture the last piece of German occupied Polish soil.

091339_kustrin.jpg

robw963: ...After nearly 72 total hours of combat, the Battle for Küstrin is won.

finally ! ! :rolleyes:

robw963:
...With the arrival of Armia Karpaty in Bratislava, I immediately launch an assault on Vienna. .. Vienna is defended by only 1 division and the battle ends in a victory after a 6 hour battle.

wonderful ! ! :)

robw963:
...At last POLSKA 1 arrives in Küstrin sealing 15 German divisions in the Bydgoszcz pocket. The German armor managed to escape before I could arrive, but this is still a success.

how does this leave the balance of "power" (read that: non-garrison units comparison) with Germany ? ? :D

most excellent results ! ! :)

magnificent update ! !
:cool: