• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Phax said:
I remember back in the days, like 1.0 HoI2, you could just steamroll over Germany right from the start as Poland, with barely any resistance.

This still worked as of Armageddon 1.1.

trekaddict said:
This still worked as of Armageddon 1.1.
oh, never really tried in later versions. And still, you're probably a better player than me, I would most likely fail :p

Phax said:
oh, never really tried in later versions. And still, you're probably a better player than me, I would most likely fail :p

I haven't either since the early days of 1.1, so no idea if can still be done. Once my current Germany game is over I will try it.

trekaddict said:
I haven't either since the early days of 1.1, so no idea if can still be done. Once my current Germany game is over I will try it.

I believe it can be done (1936 rush of the Germans with existing Polish forces plus some builds to augment them). Personally I don't find it nearly as enjoyable because I like following a more historic pathway and I really enjoy the planning and building portion of the game. That's assuming HOI2 1.3....not so sure about Arma since I have very little experience with it. Lothos made some pretty significant AI changes from 1.0 to 1.3...not sure if much changed to Germany's AI in Arma or not.

Another quick note about the "historic" plausibility of a pre-emptive strike on Nazi Germany by Poland in 1936. Some claim Piłsudski proposed to the French a pre-emptive attack. Norman Davies plays it up pretty big in his History of Poland book. Digging a little deeper, I've found no physical evidence that actually ever was proposed...only rumor and heresay. It all sounds great...but I kind of doubt it ever really happened.

Of course I've been wrong before...

Delex said:
I really do hope the commies kick ur ass (Although you will defeat them).

Why do you hope for this? :(

Excellent AAR robw963! I'll try your tactic (that you explians into details) to see if I can do half as good as you do with Poland. :)

General_Grant said:
Why do you hope for this? :(
Well, there are still those who believe that the Soviet Union was a leisure paradise. ;)

trekaddict said:
Well, there are still those who believe that the Soviet Union was a leisure paradise. ;)
Actually it makes the AAR more interesting, if the one who plays it has problems wining (Is losing). And about that paradise thing, it would be same for me if the allies would beat the crap out of Poland, but what is more realistic lol. Well win the war VS the Axis, so you can start so serious conquest with Poland.

Delex said:
Actually it makes the AAR more interesting, if the one who plays it has problems wining (Is losing). And about that paradise thing, it would be same for me if the allies would beat the crap out of Poland, but what is more realistic lol. Well win the war VS the Axis, so you can start so serious conquest with Poland.

I must agree that it's so much more fun when the player is losing, or at least suffers some major defeat.

robw963 said:
Some claim Piłsudski proposed to the French a pre-emptive attack. Norman Davies plays it up pretty big in his History of Poland book. Digging a little deeper, I've found no physical evidence that actually ever was proposed...only rumor and heresay. It all sounds great...but I kind of doubt it ever really happened.
the french must have destroyed all the evidence !! :mad:
;)

I've had a few testgames, and yes it can still be done although its incredibly hard in the higher difficulty settings. The next I'll try is the method in this AAR with the slight exception that I will not disband my Interceptors.

I've tried quite a few times to apply my Poland pre-war build strategy at higher difficulty settings and always run into trouble against Germans that move faster, org faster, have better units and have more of them. On Hard it's really difficult...on Very Hard...well...let's just say it got ugly to the point where I threw in the towel.

I've written a whole series of events that I use at higher difficulty settings (not used in this AAR since i'm playing at normal settings) where the Poles get a little help. I tried to simulate things like getting the Vickers tank from the UK, government fertility incentive programs, shifts towards right wing extremism, French loans, Polish-Lithuanian re-union, etc, etc. Short of stunting the AI's IC advantage, I haven't been able to make it all work successfully.

Last edited:
Honestly? no...The Lithuanians were extremely annoyed with Poland in this period in history. But...I was groping for any kind of advantage I could think of when I was dreaming up events.

By the way, I have updated the first post of the AAR with a detailed index of all AAR posts. If anyone sees any problems or can suggest a better method, I'm eager to hear it.

Well anyway, I tried out your strategy, but at a lower agressiveness setting, as I my experience with Poland is still very limited and I must say it works well. What saved me was that the early model Infantry and Panzers seem to be hidiously vulnerable to Artillery Fire.. Currently slugging it out, I managed to take East Prussia though.

I must admit the campaign is fought very well. The long term planning is crucial indeed.

Destroying all those divisions in Bydgoszcz won't be easy - are you sure you have sufficient forces to achieve that ?
Unsupplied divisions are still quite strong and some relief force will for sure try to get through Kurstin...

I assume the Luftwaffe in its majority is engaged in the west right now ?

Winner

I must agree that it's so much more fun when the player is losing, or at least suffers some major defeat.

It certainly makes an interesting game - I remember when I lost an entire Polish army (12 divisions) cut off by the US in Vladivostock or when one of my invading fleets (battleships) was destroyed close to Miami with six divisions onboard...

Send me a PM if you want to discuss anything BTW. ;)

Last edited:
WIELKOPOLSKA - Phase 2 - Recapture Of Poznan

September 7 1939 - The Stakes:

With 18 German divisons in Bydgoszcz, the drive to trap them there takes top priority. Creating and destroying a pocket in Bydgoszcz would be a major victory. It's vital that I recapture Poznan so I can continue on to attack Küstrin and attempt to close the Bydgoszcz pocket.

090739_pocketstat.jpg

There's also another opportunity to destroy 4 German divisions retreating from Bratislava towards Vienna. I suspect they are brigaded (many German divisions are) so I'm hoping they'll be slow.

090739_brat.jpg

September 7-8 1939 - Battles for Poznan:

As POLSKA 1 advances toward Poznan, a series of battles occur as German divisions advancing from Bydgoszcz arrive there in small groups allowing me to defeat the much more easily.

090739_poznan.jpg

090839_poznan.jpg

090839_poznan2.jpg

September 8, 1939 - 12:00 - Pinning the Germans in Bydgoszcz:

The Germans have a route out of Bydgoszcz towards Küstrin. Since I have yet to capture Küstrin, the best I can hope for is to keep them in place by engaging them in a long battle.

090839_bydgo.jpg

September 8, 1939 - 16:00 - The Fall of Danzig:

German divisions advancing from Bydgoszcz have now occupied Danzig which cuts off ARMIA Pomorze in Stettin. If Stettin can be held, however, this helps trap the Germans even further from their potential route of escape. The key to all will be Küstrin.

090839_danzig.jpg