• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It didn't change. She is still unmarried at start in my vanilla 1.08 game.

Indeed, you're right! Thanks for pointing this out. Yet I'm pretty sure that for a while, in 1.06 I think, she had been married to some guy in Hungary or something, had two children of his dynasty with him, and then he died. Anyway.

So please delete the comment on the tricky succession, and add instead "as she is single, it's a good way to learn about natrilinear marriage too!" :)

Napoli, 1066, county of:

The sheer turbidity of the region in general! You are a small middle aged, single greek orthodox count swimming in a sea of Normans, Genoans and muslims with the pope being your next door neighbor!
The easy way out is of course swearing to Apulia, the HRE or the ERE, but why should you? - There is immense satisfaction in becoming an independent Despot against all the odds.

- The Genoans want you dead and turn your lands into a republic
- The Count of Capua is racing you to create the ducal title
- The muslims often conquer Apulia or Salerno and leave you a prime target - and your neighbours will not spontaneously defend a dirty orthodox!
- The Normans, if successful, often to forge a claim on your land or create the kingdom of Sicily, force-vassaling you.
- The pope and Italian HRE members also like to fabricate claims on your lands
- If you manage to thrive until then, the ERE is likely to start making war with you if you expand into Sicily proper or if they start taking Sicily.
- Even if you survive and manage to form Sicily, it will be a popular target for Jihads by both caliphs.

But you know what? You can beat them because THIS IS SPARTENOS

With all of that said, there is also good options for a very varied playstyle. You can swear to the ERE for the LOR experience or the HRE and plot to make it orthodox just because you can! You could turn Catholic and try and form the Latin Empire as a Greek Catholic! You're also close enough to Jerusalem to be able to keep it alive if you turn catholic. You have so much freedom from Sicily to make the game what you want.

Last edited:
Byzantine Empire:

Gagik Bagrationi, Count of Lykandos, September 15, 1066 - The last Bagrationi king of Armenia, now dethroned and given a "pension" in Armenia Minor off of which to live the rest of his days. Historically he and his two sons died because of intrigue and plots, but it is possible to reclaim your ancestral title. Also, your daughter is married to the king of Georgia.

Poland is a good starting kingdom and can go various ways. It has around 20 provinces in its de iure, which is made up of five duchies of varying power. You can expand basically anywhere you want. I married Duchess Matilda and took Barcelona in a crusade with the first king, I think.

Budivoj Nakonid of Lübeck (1066):

He is a Christian an Pommeranian and the Count of Lübeck. If you play good, you have the chance to creat the Kingdom of Pommerania as Catholic Ruler. You can try it as independent Count if you like it hard or you can became part of the Holy Roman Empire or Denmark.

Orthodox Heresies
Golden Horde
---Sartag, Khagan of Golden Horde, 2 Jan. 1255 (Nestorian): It is January 2nd 1255 and you are the great-grandson of Ghenghis Khan. You are the one true believer in a sea of heretics, pagans, and schismatics. You are the one scholar and theologian in a family of warriors. The real Khagan Sartag lasted barely a year. Good luck.
This was easier than I hoped it to be :/
All I lost were some russian dukes with my first ruler, his son saw nothing but massive land gains
I've even managed to turn the Ilkhanate Nestorian trough clever marriages :)
Still fun though!

I realized though that if they ever make pagans playable the 2 mongol same-dynasty giants would be awesome to play cooperatively (The Ilkhanate is tengri with mostly muslim vassals, so they're in the same boat)

Last edited:
Malcolm III of Scotland - 1066 - Start with just one county (and a Kingdom) and forge the reputation of the great 'Canmore' or 'Long neck' -referring quite personally to his leadership style. He is also considered the progenitor of a branch of the family that ruled Scotland until 1286. Also his wife was the beautified Saint Margaret so be nice (or not :p)

Budivoj Nakonid of Lübeck (1066):

He is a Christian an Pommeranian and the Count of Lübeck. If you play good, you have the chance to creat the Kingdom of Pommerania as Catholic Ruler. You can try it as independent Count if you like it hard or you can became part of the Holy Roman Empire or Denmark.

You have to be pagan to create the Kingdom of Pommerania, no?

Correct. You can still play it as Catholic though if you convert back. I've clarified that point and added it. :)

Correct. You can still play it as Catholic though if you convert back. I've clarified that point and added it. :)

Wait, how do you convert back to Pagan from Catholic? I know that you can become a heretic via the court chaplain mission, and I suppose if you let a pagan educate your heir, they could also possibly become one, but is there any other way of becoming pagan?

Nope, that's the only way. Pagan education for your heir.

If your liege is Catholic you can then convert back using the 'Convert to liege's religion' decision.

Earliest start, the Habsburg dynasty in the Count of Aargau. I forgot the name of the Habsburg ruling it, but the challenge is rising from one county to rival the historical extent of Emperor Karl V's dominion over Europe.

Yusuf, Emir of Marrakech on September 15, 1066. You start with all the riches of the Almoravid sultanate in your hands, can easily acquire the crown by plotting, and have claims on all your Maghrebi neighbours.

Radomir Kometopuli, Count of Dorostrum.

The last bulgarian noble to preserve his culture and descendant of the last Bulgarian kings.

Has a claim on the dutchy of Turnovo, is the hair of his brother - the count of Constantsa who turned greek. Also an ally of the Duke of Armenia.

Sep 15, 1066:
Muhammad Kalbid, Kalbid Emirate (Sicily): You're surrounded by infidels, but if you fend off the Sunni and conquer the Catholics then you can establish your own Sultanate of Sicily right on the pope's doorstep.
Gerhard Chatenois, Duchy of Upper Lorraine: Just a duchy title away from being able to found the Kingdom of Lotharingia.
Geraud de Geneve, County of Geneve: The score description is almost taunting. Can you do better by ruling more than your single county?
Gudrod Crovan, Duchy of the Isles: You may not be able to form the Kingdom of the Isles in-game, but you can pretend to.
Guilhem de Poitou, Duchy of Aquitaine: For the Kingdom of Aquitaine, if you can break free from France and avoid the dismemberment of your realm from gavelkind.

Jan 1, 1155:
Henry Plantagenet, Kingdom of England: Start off the Plantagenet dynasty and the Angevin Empire on the right foot and see if the sons you birth end up any better than the ones Henry spawned historically.

Jan 1, 1187:
Raimond de Toulouse, Duchy of Toulouse: With the Cathar heresy at full height, you can choose to crush it, or join it.