• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
sturmvogel said:
In another playtest the Spanish had full cities in Trinidad, Antigua, and Barahona. Guadalupe was level 8 colony and Tortuga was a level 1 colony. St. Martin and Puerto Rico were TPs. All islands were known except St. Thomas. All sea zones had been explored except the Leeward Islands and the two northern zones in the Gulf of Mexico.

Let's compare that to history. By this date all of Cuba, Panama, Puerto Rico and the eastern half of Santo Domingo should be full cities with TPs and/or low-level cities in Trinidad and possibly a couple of the other sugar islands. So a minimum of 70 colonists less the 25 provided by Fodoron's colonization events equals 45 or about 5000 ducats if every colonist is successful. More realistically that's 59 colonists and about 6500 ducats.
By 1530 Tehuacan, Guatemala, Caribe, Tocuvo and Maracaibo are all full cities as well.
The Caribbean goldmine events total a useful 425 ducats, but that's just a drop in the bucket considering that census income is probably about 200 per year during this period.
Fodoron's capitulaciones provide a very useful 160 ducats and 6 colonists per year from 1495 even though the AI wastes most of them.

IRC, st thomas not supposed to be known, mand there were issues by modders in the past about it, and also antigua (being english) was to remain a TP.
I thought norrefeldt tests and amendments to colonizations achieved this ?

another I recall , was that I asked Norrefeldt to bracket bermuda with bahamas. not sure if this was done

I looked into the whole settlement of the sugar islands in detail a little while ago and I found references to several failed Spanish colonies there before the French, Dutch and/or English finally planted long-lasting colonies. It seems that they tried to settle every one of those islands other than Martinique and Barbados. So that's what I changed my province.csv to reflect.

Another playtest report from Jan 1516. Guadelupe was the only full city. Tortuga and Les Cayes had level 6 TPs while Guantanamo had only a level 3. Barahona and St. Martin were still undiscovered. The two seazones north of Cuba and Hispaniola were still undiscovered. All three conquistadors were in Guadelupe.

I'm thinking that another good way to discourage premature colonization of the Lesser Antilles might be to tweak the ratings of the natives on each island. Generally, I'm content with the strengths of the natives, although St. Thomas could probably stand a boost to 1000 rather than the paltry 500 it currently has. The efficiency number is fine at 1.1, but I think that we should drop the tolerance value and negotiation value down to 4 so the AI doesn't automatically attack them, while the ferocity value should be increased to 5 so that any colonies present will be attacked more often. It might need to be increased further still, but playtesting will be required to see how these changes work first.
And to reiterate the Spanish ToT should apply to all of the Lesser Antilles except for Barbados and Martinique.

AI western colonial countries can have a problem if they don't or can't build historical shipyard (Russia is another story):
Portugal (POR_18012: 1498-1670): Tago (441) - all choices
Spain (SPA_3153: 1501-1526): Andalusia (443) - no B choice
England (ENG_3011: 1495-1515): Wessex (249) - possible B choice
France (FRA_12081: 1680-1700): Bretagne (415) - possible B or C choice
Netherlands (HOL_3503: 1600-1700): Holland (339) - no B choice

Netherlands, Spain and Portugal are not a real problem (but Portugal can wait until 1597 and annexation of Lanka to see it happen...).

France has a safety event for Toulon but I saw many times AI France and England without shipyard because province was not owned at the right time (especially England since Wessex is often conquered as a very interesting province) or "wrong" choice made (especially France).

For AI France and England, could we add ai only events if historical (or safety) shipyard was not built for any reason?

New colonization helper events for Spain:
Code:
#(1575-1780) Capitulaciones and private enterprises for colonization

event = {
	id = 285727
	trigger = {
		owned = { province = 27 data = -1 } #Zacatecas
		NOT = {
			exists = AZT
			exists = ZAP
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME285727"
	desc = "EVENTHIST285727"

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1575 }
	offset = 1000
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1580 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
		command = { type = treasury value = 20 }
		command = { type = colonists value = 4 }
	}
}
event = {
	id = 285728
	trigger = {
		ai = yes
		NOT = {
			exists = AZT
			exists = ZAP
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME285727"
	desc = "EVENTHIST285727"

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1580 }
	offset = 1000
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1585 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
	}
}
event = {
	id = 285729
	trigger = {
		ai = yes
		NOT = {
			exists = AZT
			exists = ZAP
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME285727"
	desc = "EVENTHIST285727"

date = { day = 1 month = august year = 1585 }
	offset = 1000
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1590 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
	}
}
event = {
	id = 285730
	trigger = {
		ai = yes
		NOT = {
			exists = AZT
			exists = ZAP
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME285727"
	desc = "EVENTHIST285727"

date = { day = 1 month = august year = 1590 }
	offset = 1000
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1595 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
	}
}
event = {
	id = 285731
	trigger = {
		NOT = {
			exists = AZT
			exists = ZAP
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME285727"
	desc = "EVENTHIST285727"

date = { day = 1 month = august year = 1595 }
	offset = 1000
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1600 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
	}
}
EVENTNAME285727;Capitulaciones and private enterprises for colonization;;;;;;;;;;
EVENTHIST285727;After 1573 Capitulaciones became unfrequent, and few private enterprises, like the one of New Mexico, were authorised, while Jesuits were entrusted with the colonization of Paraguay and California in the following century.;;;;;;;;;;

and so on until:
Code:
event = {
	id = 285767
	trigger = {
		NOT = {
			exists = AZT
			exists = ZAP
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME285727"
	desc = "EVENTHIST285727"

date = { day = 1 month = august year = 1775 }
	offset = 1000
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1780 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
	}
}
just before SPA_285092 and colonists granted for California in 1783.

Total number of colonists for AI: 41 x 4 = 164 => 16 full colonies
Total number of colonists for player: 11 x 4 = 44 => 4 full colonies

EDIT: used range should be 285730-285770

Last edited:
sturmvogel said:
And to reiterate the Spanish ToT should apply to all of the Lesser Antilles except for Barbados and Martinique.
Barbados and Martinique are oustide Spanish ToT. St. Thomas and Curacao too. Is it correct?

Amapa (183) is in Portuguese ToT but never colonized by Portugal. Is it correct or should we add this province in AI POR files?

EDIT: see here for reworked Portuguese Tot proposal.

Last edited:
YodaMaster said:
Barbados and Martinique are oustide Spanish ToT. St. Thomas and Curacao too. Is it correct?
yes it is correct
owned by ENG, FRA, HOL ,HOL respectively

Amapa (183) is in Portuguese ToT but never colonized by Portugal. Is it correct or should we add this province in AI POR files?
add to POR file

Toio said:
add to POR file
We have the same problem with Uruguay (215).

I suggest:
POR_1514_3explorers.ai and following files for Amapa (at the same time as Belem and Amazonia)

POR_1521_JoaoIII.ai and following files for Uruguay (at the same time as Rio)

YodaMaster said:
We have the same problem with Uruguay (215).

I suggest:
POR_1514_3explorers.ai and following files for Amapa (at the same time as Belem and Amazonia)

POR_1521_JoaoIII.ai and following files for Uruguay (at the same time as Rio)

in regards to uruguay

what is your intension /aim ?

POR did give up the area of uruguay to SPA (what little they had) , is this what you are after ?
are you trying to get SPA to establish there via POR?

basically, modern day,

brazil speaks portuguese

argentina and uruguay speak spanish

Currently, Portugal will never colonize Uruguay but will be able to capture it from Spain because of ToT.

Uruguay could be seceded to Spain with POR_260017 "An exchange between two continents" in 1777:
After a century of contention over the limits between Brazil and Rio de La Plata exacerbated by the Colônia del Sacramento that was conquered and returned three times by Spain, and in the midst of a Spanish offensive that constituted a serious menace over the recently settled San Pedro do Sul area, the removal of the Marquis of Pombal by Queen María allowed a peaceful settlement over the disputed borders with her uncle Carlos III of Spain. At the Treaty of San Ildefonso on October 1, 1777, confirmed in the Treaty of El Pardo in 1778, Portugal ceded Colônia del Sacramento to Spain, but retained Santa Catalina and San Pedro, adquiring rights beyond Tordesillas limits in exchange for the African island of Fernando Po (now Bioko) and full commercial rights in the African coast between the Niger and the Ogoue rivers. Furthermore, for the first time since the independence of Portugal, relations between the Iberians became excellent until Napoleon interfered.
I have no intention and no opinion. Is current setup better with Spain only able to colonize Uruguay (because Portugal will not try to discover the province) and Portugal only able to capture the province "by accident" because of ToT?
Or is Uruguay part of Portuguese ToT a mistake?

In 1648 scenario, Uruguay is Spanish.

EDIT: I tried to find information about history of Uruguay. This is not clear to me right now but Portuguese were really involved (link, for example). I'm not even sure if Portugal could not have the "right" to discover and try to colonize Parana too.

Last edited:
B) Provide the required funds.

A simple way to do it (in FTG),without adding new events that "slows" the game ,it could be modify "* Tax Income: % bonus/mitigant in tax income. " in religions.I tested it and usually ,around 1700-1750, the map is full colonized .You could provide some events to change religion when a specific colonization era (for a nation ) ends . Just a humble ,humblest suggestion.

A simple way to do it (in FTG),without adding new events that "slows" the game ,it could be modify "* Tax Income: % bonus/mitigant in tax income. " in religions.I tested it and usually ,around 1700-1750, the map is full colonized .You could provide some events to change religion when a specific colonization era (for a nation ) ends . Just a humble ,humblest suggestion.

You should post in FTG AGCEEP forum as here it is very difficult that someone could answer to it. I read your post because I had previously posted this thread.
However I cannot answer if its is good or not for the game as I never tweaked taxe incomes.

You should post in FTG AGCEEP forum as here it is very difficult that someone could answer to it. I read your post because I had previously posted this thread.
However I cannot answer if its is good or not for the game as I never tweaked taxe incomes.

clearly it is just a suggestion (there are a bunch of things that should be reviewed....tech speed ,manufactories etc etc, but solvable in an half hour),someone could try (if he/she thinks that s a good idea) to improve it.I did not post in FTG AGCEEP forum because i did not know where to post it.

clearly it is just a suggestion (there are a bunch of things that should be reviewed....tech speed ,manufactories etc etc, but solvable in an half hour),someone could try (if he/she thinks that s a good idea) to improve it.I did not post in FTG AGCEEP forum because i did not know where to post it.

Well, you can open a new one or just put you post in the Iberian thread dealing with Spain and Portugal.