• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanz

Major
34 Badges
Apr 10, 2017
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Stellaris
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka 2
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Why ships removed ?
There were a little complicated, but they were also realistic. There have been many times in history where a massive army can't cross a sea and therefore can't invade an enemy country.

also do we got naval wars ?

• 3Like
Reactions:
they've said they might introduce them down the road

• 5Like
Reactions:
I usually play as English or Danish, so my CKII games have usually have involved a lot of fleet management simply for ferrying armies over short distances. This just makes for extra button clicks, rather than adding anything interesting or strategically meaningful to my games, even when crusading in the Levant.

However, the ability of some fortified ports to hold out under siege from the land if sea lanes can be kept open should be part of the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why should there be ships when naval battle will not be in the game at launch? I really hope they add naval battles in the future, at least as simple as just 'land battles on sea'

• 2Like
Reactions:
It is not just the lack of naval battles and complete lack of any other purpose than transporting armies. In CK2 ships are often free for you since you can use your vassals ships rather than your own. Add in all the Micro the ships add and ai issues and it is quite reasonable they reworked the system to what it will be in CK3 on launch and later they could add in a more sophisticated naval game.

So in the few situations in CK2 in which your ship Count matters dont outweight all the major drawbacks of the system.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Insisting on ships for transport purposes is a bit like complaining that we never see armies making camp, even though medieval armies wouldn't have marched continuously over vast distances without ever making camp.

It appears that raiding from the sea will be similar to CKII, minus the unnecessary and uninteresting ship mechanics, with maritime transport largely abstract within the game. I'm satisfied with that for now, and I don't think the naval combat history of the middle ages is extensive or interesting enough to make a naval game expansion much of a priority.

• 5Like
Reactions:
There were a little complicated, but they were also realistic.
Not really.
In practice, we just move from an abstraction to another. In CK2 you have a fixed number of ships in coastal provinces. You can increase that number through buildings. But it's still an abstraction - in reality, ships weren't managed that way. They were either bought/converted from commercial fleets, or built for the occasion. Some countries also had military fleet, but they were a minority.

In CK3 it's abstracted so that armies are automatically changed into ships on seas, because that's what happened when an armed forced wanted to cross the sea. It means that you aren't stuck just because you don't have enough developped coastal provinces. It's also easier to manage for the AI.

In both cases there's no naval battles.

Reactions:
Becuase transportation is importent should not be everyone in the game has unlimited ships
they aren't your ships, you are essentially paying to hire ships when you go to sea, which is far more realistic than the ck2 mechanic. you don't seem to actually understand history

• 2Like
Reactions:
It's a really bad abstraction though. It's not without reason that the First Crusade went mostly through the Byzantine Empire and Turkic Anatolia instead of traveling by ships. And, no it was not just because Alexios requested help from the Pope to deal with the Turks.
The quickest (and least bloody) routes to Constantinople were on ship.

Reactions:
I don't understand why most of the community doesn't want anything to do with ships or even improving transport and adding naval battles as they were integral to warfare in the Mediterranean, English Channel, and (because of the Norse) the North/Baltic Sea and the Northern Atlantic.
you're wrong that people don't want ships, we just don't want CK2 ships where you raise "ship levies" that you have to organize, combine, load troops onto, move to destination, disembark troops, then send all the way back home, disband, only to raise them again when your war ends and repeat the whole process. it's micromanagement that can be abstracted.

on the other hand, the majority of people I've seen have said that ships should be added if it results in deeper naval systems, such as naval warfare. the problem for everyone seems to be that the ck2 system is lacking and should not be in ck3

• 4Like
Reactions:
I don't understand why most of the community doesn't want anything to do with ships or even improving transport and adding naval battles as they were integral to warfare in the Mediterranean, English Channel, and (because of the Norse) the North/Baltic Sea and the Northern Atlantic.

Well your are making it a bit complicated here. It is not that most don't want to have anything to do with ships. It is that most want a proper system and that is a bit too late for the launch in the development in this case.

Most here are not saying no to ships alltogether. But they want a proper system for it. And the CK2 system was dreadful as it was only transport ships that were pretty meaningless to say the least.

So my input for it is. No at the launch but yes for a later patch with a proper system.

Reactions:
If they don't put them in the base game better that it's because they will add them with a Naval warfare DLC, with proper naval battles :)

Status
Not open for further replies.