Why Remove Access to 1.12.9 at Steam?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TomPorter

Private
22 Badges
Feb 27, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
I'm so disappointed with today's release. Version 1.12.9 was released on 1/30/2023. The Black Ice mod was released on 2/5/2023. PDX released 1.12.11 on 3/9/2023 and removed the 1.12.9 rollback breaking the current Black Ice mod. I just started a game with BICE and have about 40-80 hours in it. Those saves are now worthless because the mod is broken and won't function with later than 1.12.9.

I certainly would like 1.12.9 to be available again especially in light of the fact that there are many other older rollbacks still available. This problem would also have been avoidable if updating was optional instead of required.

If PDX is going to break mods and remove required versions every 1-2 months why would I ever consider modding a PDX game?

It's a steam limitation. Only the latest version of a major version will be available.

Minor patches should still work with mods, despite the warnings

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm so disappointed with today's release. Version 1.12.9 was released on 1/30/2023. The Black Ice mod was released on 2/5/2023. PDX released 1.12.11 on 3/9/2023 and removed the 1.12.9 rollback breaking the current Black Ice mod. I just started a game with BICE and have about 40-80 hours in it. Those saves are now worthless because the mod is broken and won't function with later than 1.12.9.

I certainly would like 1.12.9 to be available again especially in light of the fact that there are many other older rollbacks still available. This problem would also have been avoidable if updating was optional instead of required.

If PDX is going to break mods and remove required versions every 1-2 months why would I ever consider modding a PDX game?
Most of the time the ‘’mod is out of date’ warning is just because the mod devs put the required version down to the excavator version, and nothing is actually broken. As a mod dev myself, the only thing in the patch notes that should be even remotely problematic is the removal of that one peace conference trigger

Reactions:
It's a steam limitation. Only the latest version of a major version will be available.

Minor patches should still work with mods, despite the warnings
I'm a little confused because HOI4 versions 1.10.5 and 1.10.8 are in the current rollback/beta list.

Steam has likely caused this because they also removed the "let me choose when to update" option and likely did place some constraint I just don't think it's based on version number.

I'm a little confused because HOI4 versions 1.10.5 and 1.10.8 are in the current rollback/beta list.

Steam has likely caused this because they also removed the "let me choose when to update" option and likely did place some constraint I just don't think it's based on version number.

I think they made an exception for 1.10.5, as that was the last patch before a bad War Support glitch that wasn't fixed until 1.11.

But other than that exception, they only keep the final version for each major patch version.

There is a limit on how many BETA versions that steam allows to display.
Before when we allowed every single version to be rolled back we hit the Steam cap, which is why we needed to cut down on rollback options. Say that HoI4 continues for 10 years more, we might inevitably hit the cap again.

Reactions: