• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, look, MoLAoS, as far as I can see you're looking at this whole thing the wrong way. People were never going to play this game of yours and recommend it to others on the basis of "oh, MoLAoS is such a pleasant and agreeable fellow"- that might get you started, but it certainly won't earn you a long-term audience. They were going to play it, ultimately, if the mechanics were solid and the media was attractive. And that hasn't really changed. So if this is the straw that broke the camel's back, I'd incline to examine everything else that the camel was carrying.

Well, look, MoLAoS, as far as I can see you're looking at this whole thing the wrong way. People were never going to play this game of yours and recommend it to others on the basis of "oh, MoLAoS is such a pleasant and agreeable fellow"- that might get you started, but it certainly won't earn you a long-term audience. They were going to play it, ultimately, if the mechanics were solid and the media was attractive. And that hasn't really changed. So if this is the straw that broke the camel's back, I'd incline to examine everything else that the camel was carrying.

Its not that people don't like me, its that I got permabanned from the forum.

But you're missing the point. If the game is worth playing, there are other ways to get publicity. You could start a blog, or post on other game and citybuilder and development-related forums, or use an alias-account, or try a kickstarter, or whatever.

Look, I'm not pretending I can see inside your head. But unless you were, for some reason, developing the game *just* to please this particular circle of people, *and* that bridge is permanently burnt, then this really shouldn't be the main factor in your decision. Content and mechanics should, along with constraints on time and attention-span.

...Well, that's my two cents anyway.

But you're missing the point. If the game is worth playing, there are other ways to get publicity. You could start a blog, or post on other game and citybuilder and development-related forums, or use an alias-account, or try a kickstarter, or whatever.

Look, I'm not pretending I can see inside your head. But unless you were, for some reason, developing the game *just* to please this particular circle of people, *and* that bridge is permanently burnt, then this really shouldn't be the main factor in your decision. Content and mechanics should, along with constraints on time and attention-span.

...Well, that's my two cents anyway.

There are not that many relevant forums. citybuildinggames is almost dead now, citybuilder heaven is dead, i've been banned from a couple other forums like rpg.net and three moves ahead. Well I'm not banned from TMA exactly, its complicated.

This forum is dead.

I am still active on RPGCodex at least. Reddit has a city building subreddit but its dead, although I might be able to use some RTS ones.

I was talking to some people I know from outside of games and they said I should keep working, but I have some sort of mental issue, maybe bi polar or histrionic personality disorder or something where I'm very impulsive and sometimes overreact, so its hard to know if an emotion decision I make was the right one.

That's rough bro. I can't* really advise you about mental health, but there might be no harm in taking a few weeks off to gain perspective.

But... if you're worried about the larger question of where the audience for games of this type have gone... don't be. These people haven't evaporated, any more than the audience for adventure games or 2d-side-scrollers mysteriously disappeared for 15 years. I fully guarantee you that citybuilder (and majesty) fans are still out there in droves, waiting for a game that (A) plays to their tastes and (B) doesn't suck. It's just not a market immediately appetising enough to triple-A studios, due to their usual myopic ass-covering avarice.

*Well, possibly shouldn't. Not since I started stalking Lena Olin. I was originally trying to letter-bomb Paradox South, then I got distracted.

Last edited:
Anyway- in an effort to end on a more positive note, I'm hoping to commission some proper music and voicelines for the presdium/stratos project. Might have some samples up in a couple of weeks.