Why Is There A Dhimmi Faction In 100% Muslim Countries?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SonofWinter

46 Badges
Jun 28, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
I'm playing Mali, I've converted everyone to Sunni and now I have this pesky Dhimmi faction. They are 0% of the total provinces but somehow they hold 20% of the land and control require that I give them policies, just to get them to 50% so that when I seize land, they won't be revolting.

Why is a 100% Muslim nation have a faction that demands policies?
1637745362912.png

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Because everything is abstracted in EU4, and converting a province to your state religion doesn't necessarily mean that every single person who lives there follows that religion. Or would you prefer that it went away once you have no provinces that don't follow the state religion and came back every time you conquered a heathen or heretical province?

• 4Like
Reactions:
The real problems are that: a) almost all their privileges require having at least 1 wrong religion province to even give/maintain, and b) they have way too few options for loyalty because almost all of their privileges give none.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Dhimmi bonuses are actually really strong especially for a rapid expansion game. If they're at high influence (which they'll usually have thanks to a high percentage of heathen land) you can pretty easily get that sweet -10% tech cost and +2 tolerance of heathens (or at least -7.5% and +1.5), which when combined with the +2 from the estate gets you up to +2 total with 100 legitimacy meaning you can ignore heathen provinces as soon as you start getting them. The manpower bonus privilege is also strong but comes with -5 loyalty which is a problem since the Dhimmi do have limited loyalty bonus options, but humanist ideas synergize perfectly with not converting heathen provinces and gives +10 loyalty so combined with supremacy over the crown, land rights, and calling diet you shouldn't have issues keeping them above 50% or even 60% loyalty. Obviously if you want to deus vult your way across the globe you can go ahead and just convert them since true faith unrest reduction is unbeatable but the Dhimmi are great, especially for Ottos or Timmies who want to blob like crazy.

tl;dr Dhimmi good, but you've got to keep a heathen province around for them to work.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm playing Mali, I've converted everyone to Sunni and now I have this pesky Dhimmi faction. They are 0% of the total provinces but somehow they hold 20% of the land and control require that I give them policies, just to get them to 50% so that when I seize land, they won't be revolting.

Why is a 100% Muslim nation have a faction that demands policies?
View attachment 777249
Because theyre the non dominant population in provinces

• 1Like
Reactions:
I usually give them the edict that gives -100% missionnary strenght as it gives +20% loyalty so I can seize land as i'm pleased. The best part is that you can still convert them with the merchant mechanic :) Well, outside of Europe anyway.

Reactions:
If the estate evaporated along with the last heathen province then you'd get all that crownland back along with revoking all their privileges which would be a bit too easy. It;'d also be annoying to re-add those privileges every time you conquered a new province.

• 2Like
Reactions:
also places like egypt (the mamluks) might've had something like 20-30% of their population being christians (copts in egypt proper and syriac and arab christians in the levant) without them being majority in any province but still a very relevant part of the country and as dhimmi was a special social class it makes sense havign them represented. Also jews of various denominations are represented by dhimmi estate.

• 3Like
Reactions: