Why is the vast majority of rulers in 1444 as terrible as they are?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The game says.
The game doesn't say it and has never said it. You have to either go to the wiki or look into the game files to see the percentages for stats. Even then it trends towards 3/3/3 and isn't an absolute in the game state. My general point is that whatever average stats of rulers you have in your game at any moment of time is the average competence of the rulers of that era. Implying that because the code has it more likely to hit a stat point of 9 that that's the representation of the average skill level of the rulers at every point in time, even if every ruler is acting like a 0/0/0 in EU4 is ridiculous.
It is not like saying that, no. That isn't even close to analogous.
It is very much like saying it. It's an obfuscation of numbers. What difference is there between a 6/6/6 ruler and deciding to label it a level 100 ruler? Then deciding that because the game code has it more likely for most beings to reach at least level 50, the game must be implying that level 50 is the average level for anyone in the world at every point in time and all other points in time must be of reference to this level 50. If it isn't the levels rescale itself automatically to hit level 50 because that must be the average level.

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
It is very much like saying it. It's an obfuscation of numbers. What difference is there between a 6/6/6 ruler and deciding to label it a level 100 ruler?
In game actions required to progress to level 100.
Player agency.
Challenges presented by the game.

The analogy you're giving here has about as much relevance as Mario having level 100 in Super Mario Maker has. The OP's point is about internal consistency of the game, which you're not addressing.

The game doesn't say it and has never said it. You have to either go to the wiki or look into the game files to see the percentages for stats.
Or rely on empirical evidence to (correctly) infer that one of two things must be true:

1. The game's model suggests that ruler competence world wide is massively worse before 1444 than after it, on average.
  2. The game's starting situation is inconsistent with its model, because reasons.
There are good reasons to question #1, including what would cause such a strange hypothesis in the first place.

#2 is bad for the same reason internal inconsistency is broadly bad in games, and it isn't the only time this error has appeared in EU 4 (starting wars in past patches, starting estates, starting cores for reconquest, starting development etc).

Even then it trends towards 3/3/3 and isn't an absolute in the game state.
Actually, it is. The game uses 2d4-2 to compute ruler/heir stats by default. It's a game rule, as absolute as the cost to core a province, your cap on taking land in peace deals based on CB, or the starting territory for your nation.

If you disagree, I would be interested to see what your basis is from separating "absolute" game mechanics/rules from those that are not, in a way that does not contradict EU 4.

even if every ruler is acting like a 0/0/0 in EU4 is ridiculous.
EU 4 does not affix how a ruler acts/makes choices in the game to his/her stats in most cases (some exceptions with Hindu and such), so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up. If actions influenced stats of starting rulers (aka if the game had agency in this regard), the OP's criticism probably never happens.

Ottomans also massively drop current average heir stats due to being 111s largely
There are way too many TAGs on the board in 1444 for this to be true, unless you consider a decrease of < 0.1 to be massive.

Reactions:
The pre-EU4 rulers ruled in a time when they had generally less control over the state administrative apparatus. The monarch point values of a ruler don’t necessarily reflect innate capability so much as the extent to which a ruler could leverage their abilities to strengthen and advance their nation.

The early modern era is a period when the concept of a state became stronger and rulers were able to make that translation more so than the earlier feudal era. The lower stats of earlier rulers simply represent that they had more difficulty leveraging their innate talents to effect change.

Does that sound convincing? I don’t really believe it, but figured I’d give it my best shot. I’m pretty sure no one bothered to care if the historical rulers lined up with averages, and probably game balance is a big part of the explanation for start date incompetence.

In game actions required to progress to level 100.
Player agency.
Challenges presented by the game.

The analogy you're giving here has about as much relevance as Mario having level 100 in Super Mario Maker has. The OP's point is about internal consistency of the game, which you're not addressing.
I'm talking about the NPC's in the world as a simulation before the player has a chance to interact and then once the player begins playing the world begins to change as well as the levels within it. Player agency does not generally compute into other NPC's levels during rpgs. It's rather arbitrary and for game balance.

Or rely on empirical evidence to (correctly) infer that one of two things must be true:

1. The game's model suggests that ruler competence world wide is massively worse before 1444 than after it, on average.
  2. The game's starting situation is inconsistent with its model, because reasons.
There are good reasons to question #1, including what would cause such a strange hypothesis in the first place.

#2 is bad for the same reason internal inconsistency is broadly bad in games, and it isn't the only time this error has appeared in EU 4 (starting wars in past patches, starting estates, starting cores for reconquest, starting development etc).

I've actually answered this in a previous post, the renaissance, birth of thinkers, constant advancement in ideas, more globalization and trade of ideas across the world, etc, etc. As the game progresses you steadily advance in time and technology. Also, did u forget you can select any date in EU4 as long as it's in the timeline? So which game model do we follow? The one where the player has effected the world or the world pre-generated and where Britain can have like 40 generals when the limit is much lower?

Actually, it is. The game uses 2d4-2 to compute ruler/heir stats by default. It's a game rule, as absolute as the cost to core a province, your cap on taking land in peace deals based on CB, or the starting territory for your nation.

If you disagree, I would be interested to see what your basis is from separating "absolute" game mechanics/rules from those that are not, in a way that does not contradict EU 4.
By game state I mean that quite literally the state of the game. You will find that as you play you will not always have a perfect 3/3/3 (9 point) average throughout the game. It can and will be much lower or much higher. That's what I mean by it's not an absolute. For all we know 1444 happened to be a period that had rulers with lower stats. Doesn't help that a bunch of nations start out with a 0/0/0 cuz of interregnum.

Also, Cost to core a province is not absolute. Neither is the cap on taking land in peace deals based on CBs (unless you mean whether or not the CB allows for taking land). and there are quite a few things you can do to change the starting territory of your nation depending on what you mean by that (Although I think a few exploits still work).

EU 4 does not affix how a ruler acts/makes choices in the game to his/her stats in most cases (some exceptions with Hindu and such), so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up. If actions influenced stats of starting rulers (aka if the game had agency in this regard), the OP's criticism probably never happens.
I think you're missing a could chunk of the context me and the OP were talking about (At least I think it was the OP). According to the OP, 3/3/3 would be representative of a 0/0/0 in 1444 as long as every ruler on average was acting like a 0/0/0. Their logic was that even if every ruler was a moron as long as the average ruler was a moron 3/3/3 must be representative of all rulers. Most of my previous post was within this context.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The pre-EU4 rulers ruled in a time when they had generally less control over the state administrative apparatus. The monarch point values of a ruler don’t necessarily reflect innate capability so much as the extent to which a ruler could leverage their abilities to strengthen and advance their nation.

The early modern era is a period when the concept of a state became stronger and rulers were able to make that translation more so than the earlier feudal era. The lower stats of earlier rulers simply represent that they had more difficulty leveraging their innate talents to effect change.

Does that sound convincing? I don’t really believe it, but figured I’d give it my best shot. I’m pretty sure no one bothered to care if the historical rulers lined up with averages, and probably game balance is a big part of the explanation for start date incompetence.
Funny enough, there is not a single 6/6/6 ruler at the game start in 1444, but 3 of them are listed in the past. So this argument seems pretty bogus indeed.
I think you're missing a could chunk of the context me and the OP were talking about (At least I think it was the OP). According to the OP, 3/3/3 would be representative of a 0/0/0 in 1444 as long as every ruler on average was acting like a 0/0/0. Their logic was that even if every ruler was a moron as long as the average ruler was a moron 3/3/3 must be representative of all rulers. Most of my previous post was within this context.
UUUUh... no. I never said what any ruler stat would represent. I wondered why the vast majority of starting rulers are so much worse than what would mathematically be expected.

Funny enough, there is not a single 6/6/6 ruler at the game start in 1444, but 3 of them are listed in the past. So this argument seems pretty bogus indeed.
Well, that is an equally bogus counter argument. The past is a much larger pool than 1444 alone and of course exceptional leaders are more likely to be memorialized in the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm talking about the NPC's in the world as a simulation before the player has a chance to interact and then once the player begins playing the world begins to change as well as the levels within it. Player agency does not generally compute into other NPC's levels during rpgs. It's rather arbitrary and for game balance.
Playable nations are playable. NPC stands for something else entirely, in an entirely different game genre, making a point that seems to be non-sequitur. We probably don't need this to discuss whether the game rules for monarch points are consistent with the average values at the start of EU 4.

I've actually answered this in a previous post, the renaissance, birth of thinkers, constant advancement in ideas, more globalization and trade of ideas across the world, etc, etc.
This was refuted in earlier posts, which mentioned the large number of places in the world which get 2d4-2 while none of those things were in play. Even after they are in play, it is still 2d4-2. If "renaissance etc" predicted ruler stat/capability changes, this is not an observation we would anticipate.

The same argument applies to later start dates, which further showcases my point. The starting rulers on late start dates are inconsistent with what you would get if you played from an early start date. Not only does that contradict the quoted argument above, it also further shows internal inconsistency (advancing date vs playing the game result in different outcomes).

By game state I mean that quite literally the state of the game. You will find that as you play you will not always have a perfect 3/3/3 (9 point) average throughout the game. It can and will be much lower or much higher. That's what I mean by it's not an absolute.

Oh. I didn't consider that, because it's tangential to discussion.

OP is talking about average points generate vs average starting ruler stats. Picking an individual data point will not enforce an argument about averages.

Also, Cost to core a province is not absolute. Neither is the cap on taking land in peace deals based on CBs
Time to define "absolute". The game has defines for each of these, and modifiers that apply to them. So too for ruler stats.

Actually, this is important so I'll repost it:

That wasn't a question just thrown out arbitrarily. For the argument you're making to make sense, for it to be coherent, you MUST be able to do this. For example, the "renaissance happens" argument above contradicts how the EU 4 mechanic works, so it is not a valid explanation for the disparity noted by the OP. It does not and can't resolve the internal inconsistency.

I think you're missing a could chunk of the context me and the OP were talking about (At least I think it was the OP). According to the OP, 3/3/3 would be representative of a 0/0/0 in 1444 as long as every ruler on average was acting like a 0/0/0.
X>Y=X is not a valid logical proposition. Replacing the variables with average stats at starts vs generated by the game's rules doesn't change that.

The default generated ruler stat per category is 2d4-2 in 1444, 1550, 1700, and 1820. That is not an outcome we would anticipate if the quoted explanation were valid for the internal inconsistency, so we can (and should have multiple times already) reject said explanation as necessarily inaccurate and look for a different one.

"Game balance" also does not square with observations. In EU 4, "game balance" is usually a false explanation anyway, since starting positions are necessarily imbalanced by design and it's not clear what the goal of such "balance" even could be. Ryukyu or Busoga having 2 better in each category also wouldn't seem to impact the game world significantly unless in player hands, for example.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Why is the vast majority of rulers in 1444 flat out terrible?

Math as explained on the wiki suggests that on average, a ruler should be 3/3/3, for a total of 9 points across all categories. Yet going by the wiki again, up until our beloved start date of November 11, 1444, there are a whooping 350 rulers listed with a total stat of 9+ (only 3 of them being 6/6/6), and this list goes back to 1260, almost 200 years before the start date.

On the same vein, there are 860 rulers listed with stats below a total of 9, 444 of them even with total stats below 6. So I really wonder here @Pardox, what's up with this? Why is the vast majority of rulers at the start date of 1444 pictured as bumbeling fools?

Maybe it's just me, but looking at a nation that has to be played for an achievement and realizing that my 12 dev nation at the ass end of the world is going to be stuck with a 0/0/1 ruler aged 22 isn't really making me want to play that campaign.

I think you're reading too deeply into it.

I would assume that 1444 ruler stats were manually decided in rough accordance with whatever (possibly sparse) historical information PDX could find about them. And no attempt was made to match the statistics of these eyeball approximations with the statistics of the game's ruler generation formulas, so it's not surprising that they would be different.

I doubt that PDX was trying to make some statement about 1444 being a period of particularly bad rulers.

Reactions:
Given how old the ruler stat mechanic is, I think it's perfectly possible that whoever composed the original list of rulers and their stats didn't put meticulous work into evaluating exactly how good or bad each ruler was, and possibly reused the same low-to-mediocre stats across history files for a lot of historical figures of whom sources were hard to come by.

As such, the game's history files' ruler stat distribution not aligning with the game mechanics probably has less to do with a conscious choice by the developers, and more to do with the stat distribution being such an insignificant issue that there's hasn't been need to change it.

Reactions:
Given how old the ruler stat mechanic is, I think it's perfectly possible that whoever composed the original list of rulers and their stats didn't put meticulous work into evaluating exactly how good or bad each ruler was, and possibly reused the same low-to-mediocre stats across history files for a lot of historical figures of whom sources were hard to come by.

As such, the game's history files' ruler stat distribution not aligning with the game mechanics probably has less to do with a conscious choice by the developers, and more to do with the stat distribution being such an insignificant issue that there's hasn't been need to change it.
Ulugh beh Shah Ruhk used to be 000 because he died shortly after game start and then the Timurids collapsed again, but then he got buffed when CoC came out, giving a wink wink nudge nudge to defiently savescum at start
edit: 1st time said ulugh beg not shah rukh

Last edited:
Reactions:
I would assume that 1444 ruler stats were manually decided in rough accordance with whatever (possibly sparse) historical information PDX could find about them. And no attempt was made to match the statistics of these eyeball approximations with the statistics of the game's ruler generation formulas, so it's not surprising that they would be different.
The whole point of this thread is that the assignment of monarch points at the start is a) detrimental to gameplay and b) doesn't square with EU 4's rules.

I think you are very likely correct that there wasn't an intentional effort to make 1444 rulers bad or something, but rather that those creating starting ruler stats was not given guidance on what values indicate "bad", "average", or "good" rulers.

There are definitely a huge number of issues with the game that I'd prioritize over addressing starting monarch point values, both before and after 1.31. However, it would be nice if it got a look at some point.

Reactions:
Ulugh beh used to be 000 because he died shortly after game start and then the Timurids collapsed again, but then he got buffed when CoC came out, giving a wink wink nudge nudge to defiently savescum at start

There's no wink wink nudge nudge given since Ulugh Beh's stats are irrelvant for the Timurids in game. Since COC Ulugh Beh was made ruler of Transoxiana, with no inheritance of the main Timurid imperial provinces. Ala Al-Dawla Abd Ala (3/3/2) is the direct Timurid heir, Shah Rukh's grandson and brother of Muhammed bin Baysonquor of Ajam (further obfuscating any difference between the Ajam and Timurid tags).

There's no wink wink nudge nudge given since Ulugh Beh's stats are irrelvant for the Timurids in game. Since COC Ulugh Beh was made ruler of Transoxiana, with no inheritance of the main Timurid imperial provinces. Ala Al-Dawla Abd Ala (3/3/2) is the direct Timurid heir, Shah Rukh's grandson and brother of Muhammed bin Baysonquor of Ajam (further obfuscating any difference between the Ajam and Timurid tags).
bugger, I meant shah rukh, the starting ruler of Timurids used to be 000
the wink wink nudge nudge is you have a god tier ruler, as well as -50% to LD, why not keep that for as long as possible

I think the solution here is identifying 1444 rulers whose skills are too low/high, gathering evidence as such from historical sources, and making a post on the suggestions forum. And if there are rulers that you can't find much info on, then the answer to the original question is probably "game balance".

I think the solution here is identifying 1444 rulers whose skills are too low/high, gathering evidence as such from historical sources, and making a post on the suggestions forum. And if there are rulers that you can't find much info on, then the answer to the original question is probably "game balance".
Devs refuse to update other start dates so I don't see that happening.
French duchies are independent rather than vassals at various start dates

Reactions:
Devs refuse to update other start dates so I don't see that happening.
French duchies are independent rather than vassals at various start dates
I didn't say anything about other start dates.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If you're going to compare 1444 rulers you need to also compare how all start dates of all other rulers are
No you don't.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't see how "game balance" as an explanation can possibly hold up to scrutiny. What balance/goal/outcome, precisely, among tags that all got conquered within 100 years in our timeline for example? Giving one of those a 1/1/1 and another a 3/1/2 is for bAlAnCe? How does that even work :p?

Reactions: