• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aviarium

Corporal
91 Badges
Feb 26, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka 2
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
- pardadox did state, that they try to get a certain amount of mobile games in their portfolio. not many, but some
- the dev does not have a single game to show for yet, 2 in the making and on the page it was hard to find games the team worked on.
- looking at the museums tab of the romero games website, it looks a bit apple-worshipping
- the Favicon of the Romero Games Website is a simple and plain Apple Logo
- apple related stuff is usually more about style over substance, hype before innovation, fits this subforum
- paradox does branch out in many directions these days, so it would not be too strange to announce a mobile game for a company that size and with almost no users in the mobile area (diablo immortal anyone?)

.. yeah, i dont believe it myself :D

edit: thought a bit more about it, the IP needs to be at paradox, so what foundation could that game have and work on mobile? simple as that: Prison Architect does run on mobile and is a great foundation for strategy games. combine that with a bit of hotline miami and the concept of the hitman and tomb raider GO versions - give it to a good level designer, and you got a game

Last edited:
- pardadox did state, that they try to get a certain amount of mobile games in their portfolio. not many, but some
- the dev does not have a single game to show for yet, 2 in the making and on the page it was hard to find games the team worked on.
- looking at the museums tab of the romero games website, it looks a bit apple-worshipping
- the Favicon of the Romero Games Website is a simple and plain Apple Logo
- apple related stuff is usually more about style over substance, hype before innovation, fits this subforum
- paradox does branch out in many directions these days, so it would not be too strange to announce a mobile game for a company that size and with almost no users in the mobile area (diablo immortal anyone?)

.. yeah, i dont believe it myself :D

edit: thought a bit more about it, the IP needs to be at paradox, so what foundation could that game have and work on mobile? simple as that: Prison Architect does run on mobile and is a great foundation for strategy games. combine that with a bit of hotline miami and the concept of the hitman and tomb raider GO versions - give it to a good level designer, and you got a game
I really hate mobile games, and I can't say that i understand why anyone likes them. You're running something on a worse computer (your phone) with worse controls (barbaric touch screens), plus the battery dies insanely fast when running them, I figure most of the popular ones are just a cleverly concealed form of gambling.

I really hate mobile games, and I can't say that i understand why anyone likes them. You're running something on a worse computer (your phone) with worse controls (barbaric touch screens), plus the battery dies insanely fast when running them, I figure most of the popular ones are just a cleverly concealed form of gambling.
They are ok when they are board game ports

This depends on the game you are playing, BG are insanely awesome on mobile and remeber: not anyone can't stay at home enough time to enjoi videogames, a portable Paradox game would be amazing (that's the reason i really like Blades(bethesda), a portable game of my fav company).

Based on observation and data, I am pretty sure we are the outliers, not the mobile/ casual gamers. They vastly outnumber us.

But that's ok really. Not everyone needs to have the same hobbies.

Anyway, back on topic - I really hope its NOT a mobile game because PDX is one of the few studios which still makes complex games for us nerds.

Based on observation and data, I am pretty sure we are the outliers, not the mobile/ casual gamers. They vastly outnumber us.

But that's ok really. Not everyone needs to have the same hobbies.

Anyway, back on topic - I really hope its NOT a mobile game because PDX is one of the few studios which still makes complex games for us nerds.
Mobile games are only popular for developers to consider right now because they are skinnerboxes for unauthorized gambling. If the EU or the US ever realize that mobile games are gambling and regulate it as such, the entire mobile gaming industry would become way less attractive.

Mobile games are only popular for developers to consider right now because they are skinnerboxes for unauthorized gambling. If the EU or the US ever realize that mobile games are gambling and regulate it as such, the entire mobile gaming industry would become way less attractive.

Mobile gaming is very successful for several other reasons:
- everyone has a smartphone
- a game doesn't need to be complex to be fun
- a game doesn't have to be complex to be addictive

The fact that most users aren't "hardcore gamers" means you can also focus on accessibility quite easily. You can also benefit from the fact smartphones are almost always online.
From the point of view of people, you can easily play during transportation and close the game whenever you want/need.
It's also very profitable and subject to microtransactions, but that's hardly a problem exclusive to mobile gaming, and not all mobile games are the same.

Plus there are also things in common with computer gaming, such as regular technical prowesses (like the use of AR), or multiplatform gaming (as an aid for tabletop gaming for instance). You can even emulate old games on your phone quite easily like on a PC.

I don't really play on mobile myself, except for the occasional puzzle game, but you can't just ignore the merits of a gaming platform that have been clearly identified for years now like if they simply didn't exist. I feel like you're making an arbitrary judgment based on generalizations and misconceptions.
It doesn't mean that I would be happy if it's a mobile game btw. I know mobile games tend to be simpler, and a strategy mobile game isn't an appealing idea at all. But I don't need to be fiercely against mobile gaming to say that...

Let's hope its buy to play not freemium.

Mobile gaming is very successful for several other reasons:
- everyone has a smartphone
- a game doesn't need to be complex to be fun
- a game doesn't have to be complex to be addictive

The fact that most users aren't "hardcore gamers" means you can also focus on accessibility quite easily. You can also benefit from the fact smartphones are almost always online.
From the point of view of people, you can easily play during transportation and close the game whenever you want/need.
It's also very profitable and subject to microtransactions, but that's hardly a problem exclusive to mobile gaming, and not all mobile games are the same.

Plus there are also things in common with computer gaming, such as regular technical prowesses (like the use of AR), or multiplatform gaming (as an aid for tabletop gaming for instance). You can even emulate old games on your phone quite easily like on a PC.

I don't really play on mobile myself, except for the occasional puzzle game, but you can't just ignore the merits of a gaming platform that have been clearly identified for years now like if they simply didn't exist. I feel like you're making an arbitrary judgment based on generalizations and misconceptions.
It doesn't mean that I would be happy if it's a mobile game btw. I know mobile games tend to be simpler, and a strategy mobile game isn't an appealing idea at all. But I don't need to be fiercely against mobile gaming to say that...
A larger market doesn't make for a better game, just a larger consumer base.
A game being addictive isn't a pro, nor is it a con. Depends on the game.
There are plenty of amazing computer games that aren't complex, so I don't know why you're mentioning this.
Most of the points you mentioned are why developers should make mobile games, not why people should play them.

Since you're incompetent, I'll state the pros for people to actually play computer games.
People always have their phone on them, so you could always play.
People are simple minded, so touch screens suit their simple needs.
There are free mobile games that are easy to download.
Since everyone has a phone, multiplayer is more possible for playing with friends.

Now for the cons
Ads, too many ads for free games.
For non free games, too many non-upfront costs that add up (though paradox's dlc policy now looks similar to this)
Phone batteries die like crazy when running mobile games, the mobility is limited if you have to put in a charger to play the game.
Processing power and graphics of a smart phone or tablet is almost always worse compared to a laptop or desktop built around the same time.
You also get more processing power per dollar spent,(unless you buy apple products)
You can't get any games that aren't from the store. Modding your games is almost impossible, and maybe illegal.
touch screens are bad for any game with any level of complex gui, people's fingers are too big compared to screen size.

Accessiblity can also be a bad or good thing, because different barriers to entice different types of people in different proportions.

Anyways, the mobile games I've played are pretty good, event the strategy ones, but having to play them on a phone with crappy processing power, with a stupid touch screen, with a battery that heats up enough to kill white walkers just ruins it for me.

I love mobiles games, I hate mobile gaming. There are a bunch of mobile games I love, that I REALLY WISH were on PC without having to emulate a touch screen.
I hate touch screens, I consider them barbaric (despite them obviously have been produced after the mouse & keyboard, progress is a lie), I hate phone batteries, and limited phone memory that can't just insert an extra hard drive in or add more ram, I hate phone processors, but I still use my phone like crazy, just not for gaming.